normal sized and good looking weapon models

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Peteris.5936

Peteris.5936

Hi folks!

I am curious was there any info or at least rumors regarding plans to bring into game some normal sized and good looking weapon models?
As current weapon models are absurdly, insanely large and abysmally, unholy ugly.
I was searching through 1 h swords and… found only two that was somewhat ok:
Lord Faren’s Rapier
Bonetti’s Rapier
but they both are rapiers and will look a bit silly in hands of heavy armored warrior (although since they as well are ridiculously oversized they look more like real 1h sword instead of rapier).

Posted by: Unforgiven Azrael.6203

Unforgiven Azrael.6203

there are a few, just look through the wardrobe a bit more

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Agreed, it would be nice to see more realistic or at least practical looking weapons.

From the top of my head, you might like the Gallant, Merciless, Ascalonian and Order of Whispers weapons. The Inquest and Mystic set are reasonably sized as well.

Take some more time to browse the wardrobe, there’s usually stuff you overlook or don’t like at first glance that is actually pretty neat.

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Attachments:

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Peteris.5936

Actually went through every single sword skin available on wiki. Thats why I was asking does anybody heard plans about adding some normal good looking weapon skins
Majority of them are oversized, but those who might be ok by size either are ugly as hell or have oversized hilt which makes it still look oversized and silly (and mostly ugly too).
So I will have to go with this
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/f/fe/Bonetti's_Rapier.jpg
It looks more or less good and although its called rapier its actually oversized even in comparison with Quarctastic’s picture (in which imho rapier too is oversized, but ok I am not an expert on subject) and looks more like sword.

Attachments:

(edited by Peteris.5936)

Peteris.5936

P.S. as it comes to greatswords… did not found any single normal looking sword :*(

Posted by: Andulias.9516

Andulias.9516

I haven’t heard Anet ever discuss their plans for what further weapons skins would look like, but they have followed a certain style for years and I doubt they will change it now. I’m on the same boat btw – I love the landscape and enemy design, but some of the armor and a lot of the weapon skins look cartoony and unrealistic to me. I am currently running a phantasm sword and the GS from AC, they fit the bill in my eyes.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Please be clear your suggestion is for HUMANS.
Most Asura users I know (including me) want weapons to be BIGGER, because most models designed to be visible on human hands become tiny, petty, undetailed thootpicks on Asura models.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

What about the highlander GS? That looks decent on my human guardian.

Posted by: OrbitalButt.5708

OrbitalButt.5708

It looks more or less good and although its called rapier its actually oversized even in comparison with Quarctastic’s picture (in which imho rapier too is oversized, but ok I am not an expert on subject) and looks more like sword.

His picture is perfectly accurate, historical rapiers tended to be between 39 and 45 inches in length and sometimes exceeded that. I remember reading somewhere an old French fencing master who said, if laid on your shoulders, the pommel should start on your left shoulder and stretch out to your right fingertips. I’ll try to confirm this

A pretty big wheel down at the cracker factory

Peteris.5936

.. I love the landscape and enemy design, but some of the armor and a lot of the weapon skins look cartoony and unrealistic to me…

Exactly my opinion – I love game but those weapon skins… oh god… they are guly

Please be clear your suggestion is for HUMANS.
Most Asura users I know (including me) want weapons to be BIGGER,…

That made me smile
I forgot that we have some folks who standing is a little bit taller than my boot :P
But as intelligent asura you must understand that asuras too are subjects for laws of physics and you would not be able swing effectively something that is probably as heavy as half of you, and even if you will invent some exoskeleton who will be able swing that sword for you then attempts to stop that swing would end bad as you would be able to stop swords movement only relatively to you… but not your combined system (you + sword) relatively planet – that is any swing would end with spectacular speedy flight in direction of swing Of course that would open new fighting tehnicues for asuras as if about 50 kg (asura+armor+ridiculously oversized sword) land in any opponent at high speed that would end in instant termination of his physical existence. But there is also high risk as missing to hit opponent would risk to land into some solid object, for instance rock, that in turn would result in asuras transformation into some less corporeal form, although in that form it probably would be more easy investigate eternal alchemy that you asuras so much like :P

What about the highlander GS? That looks decent on my human guardian.

You mean Aureate Highlander Greatsword ?
It looks somewhat ok but… but… I would like to see how in gods name you could swing it without asura invented exoskeleton (as far as I can tell its taller than human and quite thick)

His picture is perfectly accurate, historical rapiers tended to be between 39 and 45 inches in length and sometimes exceeded that…

Ok, as I said I am not an expert so perhaps it really is that way , but still imho fact is that there is only two 1h swords that look acceptable
Lord Faren’s Rapier
Bonetti’s Rapier
and… zero 2h swords
btw… I would say that name “OrbitalBrain” or at least “OrbitalHead” would be way waayy better :P

Dear developers could you add some realistic and good looking weapon skins?

Pleeaseeeeeee

(edited by Peteris.5936)

Posted by: Gorani.7205

Gorani.7205

If you are looking for a two handed sword, that looks close to a version one could actually use, I recommend you search for the “Cobalt” (with fancy blue flames) or the “Ebonblade” skin.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cobalt
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ebonblade

If you do not like the “16th century” look of the rapiers mentioned before, take a look at two gladius type skins GW2 has. Firebringer has red flames, Honor has no effect.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Firebringer
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Honor_of_Humanity

All the rest of single handed swords that look kind of real have already been mentioned (they are the basic cross hilted crafting types). Their cold be one or two acceptable curved swords, perhaps it is best to search the wardrobe.

PS: Since you want realism, what kind of silly and impractical heavy armour skin do you wear?

Member of The Guildwars Online Guild [GWO]
Still keeps a volume of Kurzick poems ;)

(edited by Gorani.7205)

Posted by: Shrimpkin.4851

Shrimpkin.4851

I use the Bonetti’s Rapier skin on my Revenant’s swords and I think he looks bada@@.

Now if I could only find a longbow skin for my Ranger that isn’t hideous, so far the only one I’ve seen that looks kind of ok is the Chaos skin. The price though, ouch.

I’m not anti-social, I’m selectively social. There’s a difference.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

For daytime the sword from the Ascalonian dungeon looks solid and cool (obviously gains an effect at night time you might not like).

Posted by: OrbitalButt.5708

OrbitalButt.5708

btw… I would say that name “OrbitalBrain” or at least “OrbitalHead” would be way waayy better

Orbital Head is my cousin

A pretty big wheel down at the cracker factory

Peteris.5936

PS: Since you want realism, what kind of silly and impractical heavy armour skin do you wear?

Actually i am new to game and bought it just recently and did not got to armor looks for now. I had not even reached lvl 80 yet

So of course I will be grateful if people has some good looking (and realistic) armor skins to share as eventually I will get to armors too

Posted by: Cobrakon.3108

Cobrakon.3108

I don’t know if its been mentioned, but don’t forget Belinda’s Great Sword. Its Japanese looking so if your into that style its a great more practical looking sword.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

The bronze and iron greatswords are to scale from what I can see. The Ceremonial sabre is a nice sword and is fairly to scale. There are several others in the rapier line, the impossible to find meta needs some work.