please support Chinese language input

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dos.7052

Dos.7052

please support chinese font input in eu/us clients ( both simplified and traditional), since there is no “asian servers” , there are many players from taiwan, Hongkong and mainland of china even Chinese students aboard play at eu/us server, but gw2 dosen’t support chinese input (both simplified and traditional) quite well.

it is not a difficult issue, please support chinese language input so more player will benefit from the change.

thank you very much.

Posted by: xsquared.1926

xsquared.1926

I heard china is getting their own client soon. Maybe that’s the reason why ANet hasn’t implemented chinese languages yet.

Master Ruseman. Lv80 Mesmer 10/20/0/25/15
Boon Dispenser. Lv80 Guardian 15/25/0/20/10 Boom Dispenser – Lv80 Engineer 30/30/0/10/0
Chuck Thunderstruck – Lv 80 Ele 30/10/10/10/10

Posted by: Tecca.4036

Tecca.4036

China will have its own version. This won’t happen for the western servers, as they’re English-only (aside from the specific German/French servers).

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

please support chinese font input in eu/us clients ( both simplified and traditional), since there is no “asian servers” , there are many players from taiwan, Hongkong and mainland of china even Chinese students aboard play at eu/us server, but gw2 dosen’t support chinese input (both simplified and traditional) quite well.

it is not a difficult issue, please support chinese language input so more player will benefit from the change.

thank you very much.

American is the official language of GW2.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

Typing Chinese and having it come out in “bits” (best way to describe it) is really annoying. It’s like trying to read English with half of each word missing. That, at least, could be fixed… right?

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

China will have its own version. This won’t happen for the western servers, as they’re English-only (aside from the specific German/French servers).

Nope, they’re not English: they’re international (aside from the German/French/Spanish servers).

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

thank you very much.

“American”??

LOL … and I’m an American.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: Afya.5842

Afya.5842

Airvy day ai haf to tipe lik dis to avoid da issue.

I think gw2 is running a font type that doesn’t support chinese.

And I heard you can’t type japanese at all.

Dos.7052

well, the thing is, I didn’t ask gw2 to having chinese language contents, just support chinese language input, technically this is very easy.

on the other hand, the “china server” does not include taiwan and hongkong, only mainland of china that’s all. so players from Taiwan and HongKong need to join us/eu servers if they want to player gw2, and also chinese aboard also join us/eu servers.

therefore, I believe to support chinese (simplified/traditional) input is vital, and after all it is very easy thing to do technically.

Dos.7052

Airvy day ai haf to tipe lik dis to avoid da issue.

I do believe, there are many japanese/korean players are playing us/eu servers, I just don’t know if they have similar problems.

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

It does support chinese characters. There’ve been bugs where item names were displayed with their chinese name.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

I have a feeling that supporting chinese characters isn’t really possible – because in order for it to be displayed to other people all other plays would need to have chinese language scripts installed on their computer. Most people don’t because in America or Australia, or France, or New Zealand, there is no need to have chinese language packs installed.

The game is only officially supported in English (not American.. Seriously that was shameful), French and German (there may be another european language I can’t remember).

Posted by: Young Somalia.1706

Young Somalia.1706

I don’t know exactly what, but I’ve been in plenty of parties with people typing in moon runes.

It’s quite frustrating, actually, except for the one time one of the people spoke English as well and was able to communicate the strategy in moon runes back to the person who couldn’t speak English.

Guard: Driveby Brofist; Warrior: Giganticus Elitist
[LOD]

Afya.5842

It does support chinese characters. There’ve been bugs where item names were displayed with their chinese name.

Doesn’t fully support I should say.
Copy this to GW2 and see yourself. Something as simple as Ni Hao Ma isn’t displayed properly.

http://translate.google.com/#zh-CN/en/%E4%BD%A0%E5%A5%BD%E5%97%8E

(edited by Afya.5842)

Dos.7052

I have a feeling that supporting chinese characters isn’t really possible – because in order for it to be displayed to other people all other plays would need to have chinese language scripts installed on their computer. Most people don’t because in America or Australia, or France, or New Zealand, there is no need to have chinese language packs installed.

The game is only officially supported in English (not American.. Seriously that was shameful), French and German (there may be another european language I can’t remember).

To Include chinese and other language like korean and japanese doesn’t take too much storage, trust me, it takes no more than 1 mb to do that, wow can do that, and the supporting file is only 500kb or much.
and I do believe it is necessary, because gw2 has only 2 regions eu and us( there will be chinese server, BUT it is isolated from other servers AND it doesn’t cover Taiwan and HongKong). since there are only 2 regions for global players, i do suggest anet provide chinese language display.

at least make it an optional choice for players to download.

FlamingFoxx.1305

I hate to say this – but most people aren’t going to take kindly to seeing chinese characters in game. It makes coordination very difficult and it puts up a language barrier.

There is a reason that France and Germany have their own servers. On the other EU servers and ESPECIALLY on the NA servers people aren’t really likely to respond well to chinese characters. Also you have to question how beneficial this is – how many players are playing in chinese? How many of those players cannot speak English?

- You’re playing on the games Western servers.

Dos.7052

I hate to say this – but most people aren’t going to take kindly to seeing chinese characters in game. It makes coordination very difficult and it puts up a language barrier.

There is a reason that France and Germany have their own servers. On the other EU servers and ESPECIALLY on the NA servers people aren’t really likely to respond well to chinese characters. Also you have to question how beneficial this is – how many players are playing in chinese? How many of those players cannot speak English?

- You’re playing on the games Western servers.

the point is, even without proper language support, you still cannot read if two chinese are talking using their own language. besides, the game also provides displaying non-english language. even in an english language server, you still won’t understand if two players typing in spainish/danish/german/french or such. so why make it so hard?

I played wow for years, and wow support chinese display well (eu server as optional add on), and me and my guild mates played with two languages perfectly, no one has problems like that (everyone).

to sum up my theory, with or without the language support, it doesn’t affect anything you were mentioned, trust me.

FlamingFoxx.1305

spanish, danish, german and french all use English characters though.
It does because if a ton of people suddenly start typing in chinese then things like WvW become really really difficult to co-ordinate.

Yes french and german can have that effect on WvW. But on the NA servers I have never seen anyone speak in anything other than English, so I can imagine it getting pretty difficult if players were to start typing in chinese.

Posted by: draconx.3102

draconx.3102

Anet is obviously capable of doing this, because they did it in another game, called Guild Wars, which supported CJK input.

Why they chose not to support it in Guild Wars 2 is beyond me.

Dos.7052

spanish, danish, german and french all use English characters though.
It does because if a ton of people suddenly start typing in chinese then things like WvW become really really difficult to co-ordinate.

Yes french and german can have that effect on WvW. But on the NA servers I have never seen anyone speak in anything other than English, so I can imagine it getting pretty difficult if players were to start typing in chinese.

well, you still don’t get it my friend, if you group up with two chinese-speaking players for dungeons, if they decide no to speak english, they will type english letters to spell chinese, which you wouldn’t understand anyway.
so the situation you mentioned doesn’t change at all whether anet support chinese input or not.

as I mentioned, WoW eu and us servers supports multi-language input like chinese, and I didn’t see any one protest for that.

on the other hand, gw2 actually does support chinese input, but not perfectly

Dos.7052

Anet is obviously capable of doing this, because they did it in another game, called Guild Wars, which supported CJK input.

thank you, I know they did in previous game. and anet also does in gw2, just kind of … broken….

maybe they are too busy…

Smooth Penguin.5294

thank you, I know they did in previous game. and anet also does in gw2, just kind of … broken….

maybe they are too busy…

But you seem to speak and write American pretty fluently. If that’s the case, you can just use the American alphabet in your in-game texts.

Dos.7052

maybe they are too busy…

But you seem to speak and write American pretty fluently. If that’s the case, you can just use the American alphabet in your in-game texts.

well, thanks for the compliment. I have no problems play gw2 in English, but it is very awkward to use english spelling chinese between me and my guildies. well, between chinese, I prefer to use our language. But I also suggest my friends to use English when team up with others as an mmo etiquette of course.

Smooth Penguin.5294

maybe they are too busy…

well, thanks for the compliment. I have no problems play gw2 in English, but it is very awkward to use english spelling chinese between me and my guildies. well, between chinese, I prefer to use our language. But I also suggest my friends to use English when team up with others as an mmo etiquette of course.

My Chinese friends just use Skype to talk outside of the game. That way they can focus on fighting, rather than typing out orders or targets.

Afya.5842

maybe they are too busy…

My Chinese friends just use Skype to talk outside of the game. That way they can focus on fighting, rather than typing out orders or targets.

In game chat exist for a reason.

Posted by: Battledoll.1803

Battledoll.1803

Why I still see Chinese character showing up in my dialogue box? I thought the input was in placed already?

Posted by: Giotto.2607

Giotto.2607

I can confirm what Dos.7052 said.
GW2 is not fully support Chinese characters in the chat.
Even GW1 supported that.
Chinese sever is not an excuse because they are not asking for translation for all NPC and conversations in the game. And it’s not hard to do.

Posted by: xXxOrcaxXx.9328

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

thank you very much.

There is no language called American. lol.

Ranger - Guardian - Warrior - Elementalist - Necromancer - Mesmer
EU Elona Reach – Void Sentinels

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

thank you very much.

Lol…

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Nope, they’re not English: they’re international (aside from the German/French/Spanish servers).

And even then de/fr/es servers aren’t restricted to those languages. It’s more of a “hey, players on these servers will mostly speak de/fr/es, just so you know”.

On the topic at hand, I always support multiple scripts.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

Dos.7052

Why I still see Chinese character showing up in my dialogue box? I thought the input was in placed already?

inplaced but only works 40% well, and no simplified font…

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I seriously hope smooth penguin is being sarcastic…

OT: not that I don’t support your proposal, but how can you say it’s technically easy to do Dos? Personal knowledge?

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

I don’t think the issue would be just Chinese. The issue lies with any Non-Latin based alphabets like Arabic, Hebrew, Cyrillic or the various Logographics.

What good is posting map chat if the majority of the people there can not understand it.

For example on a North American server the other day in LA(per-distruction) while there were maybe 20 people having quite the interesting, helpful and constructive conversation in map chat(of which I was only reading not typing). Then it started.

Two people started having a conversation in what looked like Katakana characters but for all I know it could have been Klingon.
This entire unintelligible (to the rest of us) conversation went on for about 5 minutes in Map chat and by the time they were done the initial conversation fell apart.

Their entire conversation could have been whispered but they seemed more interested in the disrupting every one else. Oh by the way these two people do speak English, very well I might add.

Now I am on a NA server but I wouldn’t go to a French or Spanish server and just start speaking Deutsch.

When in Rome…

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

This is not a map chat issue – this is being able to communicate properly at all, in /guild, /party etc. included. Korean characters are already supported.

It is possible to use the Roman alphabet (that’s what English uses… just in case) for Chinese words but it’s just as unintelligible as characters to everyone else, so the status quo is not better.

Posted by: Forgietto.9453

Forgietto.9453

So the points are:
Adding complete Chinese input support won’t make the communications more difficult, because:
a) There is originally Chinese input support in game. It’s just sort of broken. And people use it. Fully supporting Chinese input won’t make Chinese speakers any more or any less in game.
b) Using another language doesn’t mean they don’t want to communicate with you. They can’t. Then what’s the meaning of making them difficult to communicate in their own language? <— trust me, if by any chance they can speak English, they will be more than happy to talk to you.
c) If they want, even without Chinese input, they can type using English letters in, let’s say, map channel, and non-Chinese speakers won’t understand it anyway. It’s just difficult to read even for Chinese speakers. But they don’t usually do so, because they know that it would be annoying for non-Chinese speakers. (well, there are a jerk or two in any country, so please be calm judging on behaviors.) Chinese input support doesn’t make any change to this as well.

I don’t speak Korean so I am not sure about Korean language support. But I know that there is, well, kind of Chinese and Japanese input support in game, just very broken. And yes, if it’s possible, please fix it, Anet.

(edited by Forgietto.9453)

Dos.7052

I seriously hope smooth penguin is being sarcastic…

OT: not that I don’t support your proposal, but how can you say it’s technically easy to do Dos? Personal knowledge?

I know little about I.T,but:

1. GW2 does support chinese display, just not quite well, and it doesn’t support simplified chinese

2. according to WoW, you only need a 300kb-800kb font file in order to make the game display chinese characters perfectly.

Posted by: Inferne.1430

Inferne.1430

I saw previous replys in Guild Wars 2 discusion that there is a Chinese agent ready to run Guild Wars 2. However, in my opinion, even in the EU/US server, although we do not speak with mother tongue, most people won’t easily change a server they used to be playing with a charactor or more for quite a long time, . Therefore, Guild Wars 2 supports Chinese input is much more necessary for us, we do not want to see broken words every single day :P
Guild Wars 2 is an international game. If you don’t provide complete Simplified / Traditional Chinese font, then we can get a conclusion that you ANet not only pay desrespect for Chinese players who paid for the game, but also privide a game without respecting quality. We hope that not only we’re able to play a game with fantastic content, but also we can experience a real social environment.So we need not only English but also Chinese ,Korean or any other languages.
By the way, you ANet only need update a font file in order for a better support on Simplified / Traditional Chinese input.
Thank you very much.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Making Americans look more American, every single day. Thank you.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

thank you very much.

American, kitten yeah! Comin’ again to save the mother kitten day, yeah!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, previously, Devs responded that they don’t support other alphabets because they can’t investigate reports for chat that is inappropriate. If someone was spamming Gold Sales in Chinese and was reported, they would find it difficult to close the account, as they would have no way to verify, easily, if said account was advertising gold for sale. Or harassing others, or using inappropriate language…etc.

Maybe, once they have more multilingual people on-board, they can support more languages/alphabets.

Posted by: Alex.9165

Alex.9165

i am Chinese,but i can’t support your opinion . it’s not mean i am good at english.
but think about it. you play a game in Chinese server and see other guys input Korean, Japanese, Spanish, English on public channel . Yes, that’s annoying. you totally don’t know what are they talking about. do u remember this idiom "ru xiang sui su“?

Even in US server ,when I saw someone input other language, i felt so bad.

IMO,your request is selfish.

Dos.7052

i am Chinese,but i can’t support your opinion . it’s not mean i am good at english.
but think about it. you play a game in Chinese server and see other guys input Korean, Japanese, Spanish, English on public channel . Yes, that’s annoying. you totally don’t know what are they talking about. do u remember this idiom "ru xiang sui su“?

“ru xiang sui su”, means .When in Rome do as the Romans do.
you are not using it in a proper place. to do “the Romans do” is depends on you whether or not to do. not by someone’s force.
I did explain my point before and because you are Chinese too I will explained it again.

1. In eu/us servers, to speak english when team up with multi-language players, is supposed to be players’ personal etiquette, not by gw2’s game setting forcing players into it.
I understand your feeling, people speak spainish, or german or such languages with you when you do wvw or dungeons, but you also need to know, not everyone know how to speak fluent english in gw2. to put you in their shoes, what you gonna feel?
on the other hand, even like now gw2 doesn’t support proper chinese display, if two players decide to use chinese, they still can use english to “spell” chinese, for non-chinese speakers, they will not understand.
on way or another, display chinese input has no relation to the situation you talked about.

2. I played WoW for years, and WoW support multi-language properly, the situation was, I didn’t see people complain about the game being multi-language supporting, the game just work perfectly with multi-language supporting. and as a chinese player, I just use chinese between guild chat and when there is non-chinese player in group I just switch to english. as I said, it it personal etiquette, not by forced.

I am not selfish, just the opposite. personally I can use English without any problem. but considering there are great number of my fellow chinese players can’t explain their ideas thoroughly on forum, I just feel responsible to speak for them. I am helping everyone.

and remember: “when in Rome do as the Romans do”, is supposed to be done by people under his will, not by other’s force

(edited by Dos.7052)

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

I sense a lot of racist undercurrents here. Some of the comments here are just outright disgusting.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Sorry, but I have seen Korean’s typing out the Korean language just fine on my server.

But when I type out in Chinese, only half of it comes out, the other half is either jumble or not there….

So, there is a problem here with Chinese support. Anet does not need to add the Chinese language, just fix the language support. I suppose the can do it for the Korean language, they can do it for other language.

And don’t tell me to go join the China servers, I don’t live in Mainland China, so I can’t join the Chinese servers even if I wanted too.

Dos.7052

I sense a lot of racist undercurrents here. Some of the comments here are just outright disgusting.

my way to this kind of respond is: ignore. not to respond them is the best way.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

The staff probably isn’t trained to handle support tasks in Mandarin/Cantonese so they wouldn’t be able to investigate reports, and they’d have to develop a new filter for obscenities.

Once they’re up and running in China, they might be able to port the knowledge/system to the rest of us.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Dos.7052

The staff probably isn’t trained to handle support tasks in Mandarin/Cantonese so they wouldn’t be able to investigate reports, and they’d have to develop a new filter for obscenities.

Once they’re up and running in China, they might be able to port the knowledge/system to the rest of us.

I do believe some official respond would be nice. bot “agree” or “disagree” are ok to me, I just want to know their opinion regarding to this situation.

Posted by: papageno.5793

papageno.5793

I stay in America servers because I have many foreign friends,But I need chinese language too,Because I also have a lot of Chinese friends.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Making Americans look more American, every single day. Thank you.

Wrong! Australian is the official language!!

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Alex.9165

Alex.9165

“ru xiang sui su”, means .When in Rome do as the Romans do.
you are not using it in a proper place. to do “the Romans do” is depends on you whether or not to do. not by someone’s force.
I did explain my point before and because you are Chinese too I will explained it again.

1. In eu/us servers, to speak english when team up with multi-language players, is supposed to be players’ personal etiquette, not by gw2’s game setting forcing players into it.
I understand your feeling, people speak spainish, or german or such languages with you when you do wvw or dungeons, but you also need to know, not everyone know how to speak fluent english in gw2. to put you in their shoes, what you gonna feel?
on the other hand, even like now gw2 doesn’t support proper chinese display, if two players decide to use chinese, they still can use english to “spell” chinese, for non-chinese speakers, they will not understand.
on way or another, display chinese input has no relation to the situation you talked about.

2. I played WoW for years, and WoW support multi-language properly, the situation was, I didn’t see people complain about the game being multi-language supporting, the game just work perfectly with multi-language supporting. and as a chinese player, I just use chinese between guild chat and when there is non-chinese player in group I just switch to english. as I said, it it personal etiquette, not by forced.

I am not selfish, just the opposite. personally I can use English without any problem. but considering there are great number of my fellow chinese players can’t explain their ideas thoroughly on forum, I just feel responsible to speak for them. I am helping everyone.

and remember: “when in Rome do as the Romans do”, is supposed to be done by people under his will, not by other’s force

Thanks for your explain. Your original intention is good. and you did well in multi-language environment. but you can’t promise your friends will do well as you did. Because I saw someone chat on public channel in Chinese, when I guest to JQ. That was rude. and what can you do in this situation? Blame them? “cao ni ma ,guan ni niao shi !”(no offence)

I also hope GW2 will totally support Simple/Transitional Chinese. even I hope a Chinese version for US server, then my fellows will not ask stupid questions anymore.