pre-launch in China

pre-launch in China

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cloudwalkernz.1328

Cloudwalkernz.1328

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJyUmKHqdj8

It seem GW2 have pre-launched in China yesterday and A-net have manage to sold out their pre-order of 500,000 copies. Will this means GW2 is more popular in China than in the West?

It seems that in China you can get a “pre-cursor box” if you subscribe. I wonder if we are getting that next.

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

A pre-cursor or a precursor? Not the same you know. One is a weapon annndd I’m not sure about the other. Maybe a way to pre-curse someone who is going to tick you off.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

You’re missing the cultural differences between the two regions. One is more willing to be a “pay to win” than the other. That’s among the other things that made the China release more than a localization.

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

also helps that they sold their boxes for $13

pre-launch in China

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

You’re also missing the fact that China has almost 1 billion more people than the US and has the highest population in the world.
Also we don’t know the preorder sales numbers for US/NA.

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Jae.5138

Jae.5138

presale was huge for NA too. but with ANet’s content release speed, retaining that 500k is highly unlikely

pre-launch in China

Posted by: papryk.6273

papryk.6273

You’re also missing the fact that China has almost 1 billion more people than the US and has the highest population in the world.

but we do know. IIRC it was 1 milion copies preordered (NA&EU)

(edited by papryk.6273)

pre-launch in China

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

also helps that they sold their boxes for $13

That depends. Games usually don’t have box-prices at all over there. SO $13 is comparatively much more for them than it is for us.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

pre-launch in China

FlamingFoxx.1305

but we do know. IIRC it was 1 milion copies preordered (NA&EU)

Oh well there we go then! Thanks.

pre-launch in China

lordkrall.7241

presale was huge for NA too. but with ANet’s content release speed, retaining that 500k is highly unlikely

You mean releasing stuff faster than more or less every other MMO in the world?

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

500k in China sounds like pebble.

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

500k was the limit they set on how many they would sell for the prelaunch beta. Basically they sold out!

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

The livestreams are interesting to watch.

http://www.yy.com/index/s?wd=%E6%BF%80%E6%88%98&id=987032850

Still looks like they don’t have the feature patch yet. The hero interface looks like the our old one.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Jae.5138

Jae.5138

i don’t know what other mmo’s you have played but guild wars 2 has had no new permanent release since launch

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

i don’t know what other mmo’s you have played but guild wars 2 has had no new permanent release since launch

Demonstrably untrue.

Fractals and guild missions, Southsun Island, the Karka Queen and the Triple Thread event, plus new events and jumping puzzles were all released since launch.

And the new 80 path of TA, five new fractals more recently, and a number of events in between that return on schedule. I’m not sure what no new content means, but I’m pretty sure that’s not it.

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I wonder how fast will the population die out once they find there’s no end game at all.

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I wonder how fast will the population die out once they find there’s no end game at all.

As fast as it died here? That is healthy and full of people playing the game or sulking on forums.

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

There will be a steady growth. The players can enjoy the optimised LW season 2 with expansion-like content within a short time after launch. They experience all the QOL features right away from launch. In 12 month they can probably buy an expansion like we would can too.

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Fenar.4025

Fenar.4025

Fractals, Southsun, a new world boss (two if you count Tequatal), a new dungeon path, new weapon and armor skins, and lots of new features and changes to the basic game.

[edit]

And of course changes to WvW maps and EotM

pre-launch in China

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

First, that’s untrue as they’ve been loads of addition to the game, as others pointed out already.

Second, Guild Wars 2 has been releasing more content than any other MMO to date, in order to keep players busy. True, there was lots of temporary content, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t do the job just fine (to keep players occupied)

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Steel Fenrir.2791

Steel Fenrir.2791

Can somebody make a better translation than this so that we can warn them of the bullkitten they are doing to Guild Wars 2? I don’t speak Chinese, so I only used Google translate to make a statement for the Chinese players.

Attachments:

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

That’s your opinion of course. I take it you weren’t one of the players complaining how easy the game was.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

pre-launch in China

Posted by: bigblah.3285

bigblah.3285

Can somebody make a better translation than this so that we can warn them of the bullkitten they are doing to Guild Wars 2? I don’t speak Chinese, so I only used Google translate to make a statement for the Chinese players.

Haha, within 2 days of the pre-launch there are already a couple of level 80s.

A livestreamer also managed to get 100% map completion (and no, he hasn’t reached level 80 yet)

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

Releasing content faster than any other MMO is nulled when you can finish that said content in 2-3 hours.

Also, if I were to recruit a two friends, one who is brand new to the game and one who stopped a few months after release, neither of them will experience the ‘content’ because most it has been removed.

Sure they can do the world bosses, Fractals, explore Southsun, or do the dungeon path. My friend who came back after almost 2 years has 5 or 6 things to do, with two being revamps and one just having some additions.

I highly doubt me telling him ‘Bro! Come back to GW2! We have 5 or 6 things you can check out since you left!’ will entice him to come back.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

pre-launch in China

FlamingFoxx.1305

Skan, yes extreme hardcore players can finish content super quickly, but they are not the norm.

There are a lot more casual GW2 players than there are hardcore. It took me almost a year to get map completion for example. Hardcore players don’t set the pace for content.

pre-launch in China

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

This Google docs begs to differ. Please be more specific when you say “Permanent release/content”

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FwI3ZJ2J6L7EnrSurfn03YcPBIeHpyKgaJJ3mkSVALA/edit#

From what I was seeing they did have the new wardrobe or was I missing something what I was looking at their streams.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

(edited by anzenketh.3759)

pre-launch in China

Skan.5301

Skan, yes extreme hardcore players can finish content super quickly, but they are not the norm.

There are a lot more casual GW2 players than there are hardcore. It took me almost a year to get map completion for example. Hardcore players don’t set the pace for content.

I was specifically talking about the LS updates, not things like World Completion. Very few of the LS took more than a day to complete, either due to Dulfy or just easiness.

– Euripides

(edited by Skan.5301)

pre-launch in China

lordkrall.7241

I was specifically talking about the LS updates, not things like World Completion. Very few of the LS took more than a day to complete, either due to Dulfy or just easiness.

Not for the casual players. And by casual we are talking about players having just a few hours gaming time a week.
And we can’t really base completion time of content around people “cheating” by using a third-party site, seeing as the vast majority most likely don’t, and the content should never cater to those that does.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

pre-launch in China

FlamingFoxx.1305

Lordkrall is right.
I’m a full time uni student who doesn’t have a lot of time to play. Some of the Living World meta’s I just couldn’t complete because they required you to do x number of dailies and I just couldn’t log in over that many days. They can’t please everyone, I think they’ve done a pretty good job of releasing content that sits somewhere in the middle of super casual and hardcore.

pre-launch in China

Posted by: buckeyecro.9614

buckeyecro.9614

China is currently the largest country in terms of population and easily outnumbers the combined populations of Europe and North America by about 100 million people.

Most of the World’s (Human) Population, about 4 billion people, live in Asia. Its about 10 times larger than the population of North America alone.

So Asia has a market that is about 4 times bigger than Europe and North America. Its conceivable that the game will be more popular in Asia than in ‘Westernized’ Cultures, if you consider raw regional game account sales numbers, and it sells proportionately in Asia as it did in the reset of the world. Even considering people who bought the Westernized version of the game from other parts of the world.

Speaking of cultures, translations between languages, and especially between English and non-English languages, are complicated. Words and phrases may not be often accurately translated correctly or maintain intended meanings. Pre-cursor could be actual weapons or something else when translated to English. We won’t know until the actual contents are verified through a relatively credible source.

Sanctum of Rall NA Engineer Commander

Guild Wars 2 needs a Public Beta Environment

pre-launch in China

FlamingFoxx.1305

Umm. I don’t understand why you needed to quote me and reiterate what I said?
I quite clearly stated that China has the highest population, which is 1 billion more people than the population of the US.

Also if you combine the population of Europe and the US then China still has around 300 million more people.

pre-launch in China

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

Yeah, right. That is what they said when the initial release sold 500k preorders. Then they went on to sell over 3.5 million. All the while people made comments of this nature.

pre-launch in China

Skan.5301

Yeah, right. That is what they said when the initial release sold 500k preorders. Then they went on to sell over 3.5 million. All the while people made comments of this nature.

There’s a difference between game sales and retention. Even in a B2P game.

3.5 million sales, and 460k peak concurrence during headstart. Sounds promising with all the ‘content’ they’ve released, yeah?

– Euripides

pre-launch in China

maddoctor.2738

Releasing content faster than any other MMO is nulled when you can finish that said content in 2-3 hours.

Also, if I were to recruit a two friends, one who is brand new to the game and one who stopped a few months after release, neither of them will experience the ‘content’ because most it has been removed.

Sure they can do the world bosses, Fractals, explore Southsun, or do the dungeon path. My friend who came back after almost 2 years has 5 or 6 things to do, with two being revamps and one just having some additions.

I highly doubt me telling him ‘Bro! Come back to GW2! We have 5 or 6 things you can check out since you left!’ will entice him to come back.

And yet active players of the game get something brand new to do every 2 weeks, while with an expansion they’d have to wait for a few months of boredom or farming/grinding.

You are saying the LS system is bad for returning players (new players won’t have a problem) but it works very very well with current active players.

pre-launch in China

maddoctor.2738

I doubt players do the LS in just one day, maybe 2 or 3 is better. Even if we assume that LS is done in a single day, let’s do some math.

One day per two weeks is what you need to finish the LS content. There are approximately 52 weeks in a year, that’s 26 LS updates, one day each. That’s 26 days a year of doing something completely new and fresh.

Tell me now, which expansion, for which game, will take someone that does the LS in a single day, more than a month to complete. Even the BEST/longest expansions won’t take longer than a month to finish. And then you have to wait for 11 months of doing nothing / getting bored to get the next expansion.

Then it comes down to everyone’s personal preference, choose between 1 month of play then 11 months of waiting/farming/grinding/bored compared to 1 day playing, 13 days waiting/farming/grinding/bored.

PS: Assuming you get an expansion in 1 year, sometimes it takes way longer (and in some rare exceptions, sooner)

pre-launch in China

Posted by: akrepon.3480

akrepon.3480

I was looking at the Chinese gw2 forum and found this lol

http://gw2.kongzhong.com/act/team/bin/

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

I doubt players do the LS in just one day, maybe 2 or 3 is better. Even if we assume that LS is done in a single day, let’s do some math.

One day per two weeks is what you need to finish the LS content. There are approximately 52 weeks in a year, that’s 26 LS updates, one day each. That’s 26 days a year of doing something completely new and fresh.

Tell me now, which expansion, for which game, will take someone that does the LS in a single day, more than a month to complete. Even the BEST/longest expansions won’t take longer than a month to finish. And then you have to wait for 11 months of doing nothing / getting bored to get the next expansion.

Then it comes down to everyone’s personal preference, choose between 1 month of play then 11 months of waiting/farming/grinding/bored compared to 1 day playing, 13 days waiting/farming/grinding/bored.

PS: Assuming you get an expansion in 1 year, sometimes it takes way longer (and in some rare exceptions, sooner)

I’m not trying to argue, just point out. Every expansion for World of Warcraft on release contains about 4-5 months for average, dedicated player, more for casual to “complete”. There are also content patches, each taking about a month or more every 3-4 months with a “desert” in between last patch and new expansion (current state).

Living Story works better as a filler, rather than wannabe-expansion on it’s own.

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

pre-launch in China

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Blank page on my iPad.

pre-launch in China

Posted by: akrepon.3480

akrepon.3480

Blank page on my iPad.

It’s a flash page I am afraid :S

pre-launch in China

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

lol wtf

is it me or is their site way more ballin than ours?

Honestly I think I like reading their forums more than ours. Also did you see there events? Why dont we have such things?
http://gw2.kongzhong.com/announce/20130815/921.html

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

(edited by DonQuack.9025)

pre-launch in China

FlamingFoxx.1305

@DonQuack. That’s just an opportunity for chinese players to ask the US team anything they want. We’ve had Reddit AMA’s which are exactly the same thing.

pre-launch in China

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

pre-launch in China

lordkrall.7241

I’m not trying to argue, just point out. Every expansion for World of Warcraft on release contains about 4-5 months for average, dedicated player, more for casual to “complete”. There are also content patches, each taking about a month or more every 3-4 months with a “desert” in between last patch and new expansion (current state).

Living Story works better as a filler, rather than wannabe-expansion on it’s own.

And how much of that is actually new stuff to do and how much of those 4-5 months are just repeating the same thing over and over and over and over and over again to gain access to the next thing to do over and over and over and over again?

If we are going to compare stuff at least compare it in the same way. Either count everything in WoW as a one time thing, or count everything in GW2 for how many times you can repeat it.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square