precursors are fine

precursors are fine

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

if everyone has it, is it really legendary? of course you want a Lamborghini for the price of a civic…everyone would jump at that chance.

What you have right now isnt a Legendary either.

You didnt work hard for it. You farmed dirt easy dragon events until you won the lottery. You did nothing that comes remotely close to “legendary”.

There’s no prestigious connotation with Legendaries anymore (like in your Lamborghini analogy). The only people with them are either lucky, no life farmers, or stupid and rich… none of them are legendary.

I disagree. There are aspects of it that are prestigious, let’s not go crazy. The 100% map completion, dungeon tokens (although should be more), and WvW tokens to show that the player has done many different things. The precursor aspect of it is obviously not one of those prestigious things. The act that you can buy it straight off the TP does kill it a little, but how many can really afford to do that?

The world completion comes the closest… but skirting around borderlands in “off” hours and doing the jumping puzzle for months arent legendary either.

precursors are fine

Posted by: travosaga.6089

travosaga.6089

In short: You have a precursor therefore precursors are fine. Gotcha.

precursors are fine

Posted by: Gothran Phalamor.1896

Gothran Phalamor.1896

As someone who is currently working on my Flameseeker, I am of the feeling that the other items are completely fine to get, grab and otherwise farm up and craft at the forge. They are very balanced and ask for items that I would expect SHOULD be a part of an item like it. Right now, I’m sitting with my Gift of the Flameseeker, Gifts of Fortune and Gifts of Mastery in my bank. It was fair, fun and I liked farming for them!

The Precursor, on the other hand, is a joke. It’s based on RNG, a market that, sadly, is ruled by individuals and by whatever rules and loot scales are set by ANET. This, whereby, being the issue that is being addressed. Hopefully, with the new content and patch coming soon, we will see an increase in the drop rates for the ’cursors, because the rate at which you can earn this gold is a little nuts.

Let me state this another way: The Chosen, though not nearly as expensive as other ‘cursors, went from 200g about three-four weeks ago to now being 500g just a few days ago. The price has come down a bit again to around 430-450g (which I’m personally glad to see… heh) but just two days PRIOR to this 500g price tag, the price on The Chosen was 300g.

What happened? What suddenly made people go “Oh, people want this; we as The Chosen selling community need to spike the price.” Nope. I’m better (theory incoming) it was one person with a good amount of gold that bought up the cheaper one’s and now has a few up again at higher prices. The asking rates? Still around 310g.

Personally, if you are farming for one of these ‘cursors and you have a price set in mind, then don’t buy it from the broker at that price. Give the demand at a price on the broker, and eventually someone’ll get fed up enough to not just post it and hope someone may buy it.

Thanks for reading, and I’m hoping my view gave someone some insight. Still crossing my fingers for a scavenger hunt…

Northern Shiverpeaks: Triumvirate [TRIV]

precursors are fine

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Precursors aren’t difficult to get, just time-consuming. They aren’t necessarily the same thing.

I personally just want a process that feels like I’m working towards a Legendary; not simply another skin.

Challenging tasks that make me fight epic foes, force me to play the best I can lest I fail, unusual things that aren’t associated with normal gameplay.

Rather than just smelting Orichalcum normally to make the base material, make it so I need to go into Sorrow’s Furnace to smelt it with Onyx Shards. Maybe I need to be hit by a certain attack to infuse them, meaning I have less of a margin of error in other parts. Or maybe I need to take them into Mount Maelstrom when the Destroyer Event is up.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

precursors are fine

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

I would love for the game to release a concrete quest for a precursor that actually takes 3-6 months to complete. If nothing else, having it require 200 laurels, amongst other quest-like objectives, would work.

Then watch as people pour into the forums to complain about that.

It’s human nature to believe that the reason you don’t have what you want is because of ______ (insert reason that has nothing to do with oneself).

It’s just amusing to watch how circular the blame is.

Things that require tedium, the argument is that it should take skill. (Legendary Precursor)
Things that take skill, the complaint is that the event is biased and/or impossible. (Mad King’s Clock Tower)

It’s a popular refrain right now to claim that difficulty is not the issue, and that everyone still wants the process to be difficult…. up until when the quest is actually difficult, to which the complaints pour in saying oh, we didn’t mean THAT difficult. On second thought, how about medium-difficult?

This is why I love and still read the forums. It’s, at worst, a decent way to entertain myself if work is slow at the office.

I’m pulling for you guys!

precursors are fine

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

what about those people that worked hard to get their precursors?

Luck != working hard.

Plus the devs just confirmed partially the loot bug that has been plaguing so many people, so your whole argument is moot.

Loot chances was unfair, some people were meant to get precursors by luck with work and some people would never receive any loot. DONE.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

precursors are fine

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Tbh they don’t even need to increase the drop rate of precursors from monsters, chests or Mystic Toilet. They just need to stop people from manipulating the market.

The TP is a great concept and it works…. for 99.9%. With most items the supply/demand is so high, it is very very hard to manipulate it on your own, or even with a group of people. However with items with a limited supply/demand, it is very easy, and very lucrative to do so because your manipulating affects everyone.

It doesn’t happen with only precursors, also with other items with limited supply/demand, for example the Deathly Mantle Skin back in January 21st, the price tripled, and some few people made a lot of money.

There are people out there who make 5000g per week by buying out precursors and putting them up for more. This has got to stop.

Limit the buying (and selling) of precursors and legendaries to 1 (or 2) a day and the market will settle down. This will not hurt anyone except market manipulators.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

precursors are fine

Posted by: ATMAvatar.5749

ATMAvatar.5749

Soulbind the legendaries and precursors, remove them from the loot tables, and institute an epic quest line to get the precursors. Market manipulation and determinism solved. With a sufficiently long/difficult quest line, the argument of effort is solved as well.

The trouble with RNG drops is that there’s always a few people who get lucky early, then simultaneously rub everyone’s noses in it and argue about how much of a crime it is that anyone else should ever get it.

precursors are fine

Posted by: Guanglai Kangyi.4318

Guanglai Kangyi.4318

You guys. You realize there’s an extremely easy, safe, and fast way to get a precursor?

JUST BUY IT.

How much is a precursor right now even? Like 500g? That’s like 60 hours of farming COF. That’s not even that bad considering the OP just said he spent 5 hours a day for a month to get his precursor, which is like 2.5x that much. If anything, people like him are subsidizing the rest of us by farming things as a loss to sell to us. We should be thanking him.

precursors are fine

Posted by: Pustulio.8207

Pustulio.8207

Tbh they don’t even need to increase the drop rate of precursors from monsters, chests or Mystic Toilet. They just need to stop people from manipulating the market.

The TP is a great concept and it works…. for 99.9%. With most items the supply/demand is so high, it is very very hard to manipulate it on your own, or even with a group of people. However with items with a limited supply/demand, it is very easy, and very lucrative to do so because your manipulating affects everyone.

It doesn’t happen with only precursors, also with other items with limited supply/demand, for example the Deathly Mantle Skin back in January 21st, the price tripled, and some few people made a lot of money.

There are people out there who make 5000g per week by buying out precursors and putting them up for more. This has got to stop.

Limit the buying (and selling) of precursors and legendaries to 1 (or 2) a day and the market will settle down. This will not hurt anyone except market manipulators.

what the NEED to do is put a cap on what precursors can be SOLD for. people can’t put a 600g price-tag on something, if they aren’t allowed to.

precursors are fine

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

what the NEED to do is put a cap on what precursors can be SOLD for. people can’t put a 600g price-tag on something, if they aren’t allowed to.

I don’t have my legendary yet. But this is a terrible idea.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

precursors are fine

Pustulio.8207

It’s only terrible in the eyes of someone that stands to lose something….how many do you have on the TP????

precursors are fine

Posted by: Surferboy.1649

Surferboy.1649

“JUST BUY IT” so sweet, I’d love to. Do you want to give me a few hundret gold more? Then I can do it.
What I’d like to know: If you had 0 gold, how long would you need for 600g?
A month ago I did 10g a day, but I’m sorry I thought I needed to do it for 14 days, not for 60. In fact I don’t have time to farm all day.
I finished dungeon master and am lvl 31 fractals, that farming didn’t seem that senseless. I also killed dragons a few hundred times. I’m winning nearly every 1v1 in WvW.
What shall I do, till I deserve a precursor?
In my view precursors shouldn’t be uncommon. Every legendary was in the beginning a normal weapon, until its owner made it legendary by his actions.
And the actions are the gifts (yes we can argue about the gifts being legendary, maybe tokens aso).

By the way, an upper bound really could help, even if it is at 600g, because then you know, you won’t need more than 600g to get it. Nowadays you know, if I had the money now, I’d have to spend 600g, but by the time I reach 600g it could be at 1200g.

precursors are fine

Kumu Honua.2751

It’s only terrible in the eyes of someone that stands to lose something….how many do you have on the TP????

I already said. I don’t have my legendary. I Only have 70g to my name since head start. It’s STILL a terrible idea to limit players arbitrarily.

I’ve already said I don’t like the current precursor method, but your idea is TERRIBLE.

precursors are fine

Pustulio.8207

I already said. I don’t have my legendary. I Only have 70g to my name since head start. It’s STILL a terrible idea to limit players arbitrarily.

I’ve already said I don’t like the current precursor method, but your idea is TERRIBLE.

I’m suspicious of your lies…..i’ll assume you have 4 precursors on the TP, and move on

precursors are fine

Kumu Honua.2751

I’m suspicious of your lies…..i’ll assume you have 4 precursors on the TP, and move on

Whatever. So you have no defense of your arbitrary restriction suggestion? Just that you enjoy arbitrary restrictions eh? Fan of the DR on loot/karma/dungeons are ya? I understand.

Terrible idea.

precursors are fine

Posted by: Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Grow up, I have been fighting against the current precursor system for weeks, and I am also completly against your idea, it would only encourage a grey market, which would cause of the lack of a trading feature end up in a crapload of scam reports etc.

Your idea is bad, accept it!

precursors are fine

Posted by: SadieDeAtreia.8912

SadieDeAtreia.8912

Just the same old same-olds coming here with the same old arguments, trying to keep their own legendary exclusive, their precursor-manipulation enterprise stable or trying to convince Anet and the rest of us that everything is fine with the RNG bullkitten and that all us ‘casuals’ just whine because all us ‘casuals’ want things easier.

There is no simple cure for ignorance. But, whatever, I digress.

As you were…

precursors are fine

Posted by: Uncle Salty.6342

Uncle Salty.6342

Didn’t read a lot of replies but I’d just like to leave my mark on this one.

I don’t care if Anet made precursors 1000g across the board. I really don’t. (I don’t have that amount just fyi, not even close)

But if I do work towards a legendary, I’d like to see a visible beacon of light no matter how far away it is. If bypassing the RNG for a precursor means putting a few hundred G into someone’s pocket, no thank you.

I’d rather line it on some NPC’s pocket instead

*votes for account bound legendary(s) and precursor vendors selling at exorbitant prices

precursors are fine

Posted by: Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Kilrain Daggerspine.6843

Kinda have to agree with that salty, my main problem with the precursors price, isnt the price in it self, its how unstabile it is.. It keeps shooting up large amounts every 2 weeks, and it feels like you can’t keep up..

precursors are fine

Posted by: Moxtidus.4576

Moxtidus.4576

Legendaries must be hard to obtain.

Precursors are hard to obtain.

Work as intented.

Stop QQ.

Sfr

precursors are fine

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

I would say they are fine… but I have been farming everything for months not a single one has dropped for me. Cool you farmed dragons for a month…. good for you try farming them for 3+ months every cd, try dumping thousands of rares into the toilet and still not getting one…. a month is perfectly reasonable I agree, however some people will never get one if RNG decides its not going to be in their favor and drop a precursor no matter how much they farm dragons, events or anything else.

Do not confuse hard with RNG, because it is not hard to kill a dragon and get a precursor your first kill…. it is not hard to toss 4 rares into the mystic forge and get a precursor your first try. Precursors should have been a massive quest line requiring a huge time sink to finish, not based on RNG.

Because then Player A spent just as much time as Player B did getting their legendary as they both had to do the same thing essentially. One person didn’t luck out and get it in a day while the other is going on 6 months with nothing to show for his time spent.

(edited by Namu.5712)

precursors are fine

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Legendaries must be hard to obtain.

Precursors are hard to obtain.

Work as intented.

Stop QQ.

Correct.
Correct.
Incorrect.
Calling perfectly reasonable suggestions “QQ” adds nothing to the discussion and, if anything, makes you look like a child who can’t think up any reasonable argument.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.