putting a skin on a Legendary weapon

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Is it possible to put a skin on an Legendary weapon and keep its Legendary status?

In other words, create via transmutation, a weapon that’s considered Legendary for stats purposes (will keep Best-in-Slot status, will allow changing of stats out of combat) but that has a non-Legendary skin?

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

O_O o_O o-o O-o o_X

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: Doon.2364

Doon.2364

I would like to change the looks of the Legendaries while keeping their special effects and stats.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

…WHY

…no seriously…WHY.

The only reason I could see is to have the ability to swap stats on a non-legendary skin that you REALLY like. Which I could understand, I guess…

Good question…but I would never do it. Try it and tell me how it works out for you.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Gburzak.7035

Gburzak.7035

If this is confirmed, I will actually transmute my Meteorlogicus into just anything until they roll back today’s changes. Makes me wanna puke when I see it now.

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

Actually a very interesting question. I know for some of the legendary weapons i hate the skin on them. Would much rather just have the stats on a skin i actually like.

Lord Kuru.3685

…WHY

…no seriously…WHY.

The only reason I could see is to have the ability to swap stats on a non-legendary skin that you REALLY like. Which I could understand, I guess…

Good question…but I would never do it. Try it and tell me how it works out for you.

If you think a Legendary has an ugly skin or you’ve found a skin that looks better then this is an option that would be nice to have. Now that Legendaries are no longer simply cosmetic items, I think many people would be interested in this.

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

...WHY

...no seriously...WHY.

The only reason I could see is to have the ability to swap stats on a non-legendary skin that you REALLY like. Which I could understand, I guess...

Good question...but I would never do it. Try it and tell me how it works out for you.

Because most legendaries are fugly but the swap thing is convenient.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Lord Kuru.3685

…WHY

…no seriously…WHY.

Don’t forget about guaranteed Best-in-Slot stats. You won’t have to re-grind when the next level past Ascended is introduced (or when level caps are raised).

Posted by: Kyvia.5961

Kyvia.5961

It works, just tested it with an Incinerator and a Wooden Dagger. Became a Legendary “Wooden Dagger of Force” with switchable stats. Untransmuted it too as a test, and both bits came out just fine. Now to work on Bifrost and change its fugly skin, lol

Posted by: Chickenshoes.6250

Chickenshoes.6250

The point of a legendary for me is to show it off and rub it in as many faces as possible

hey hey HEY HEY I didn’t grind through all that crap to not rub it in people’s faces!

It could look like a level 1 wooden shield for all I care as long as people know it’s a legendary and are jelly. Ironically enough my engineer throws a crappy wooden shield with his block skill instead of the legendary : /

Engineers get screwed on legendaries.

Also don’t transmute your legendary unless you’re doing it to be hipster.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

It works, just tested it with an Incinerator and a Wooden Dagger. Became a Legendary “Wooden Dagger of Force” with switchable stats. Untransmuted it too as a test, and both bits came out just fine. Now to work on Bifrost and change its fugly skin, lol

hehehe! that is epic!

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Actually now that it’s possible to untransmute items all you have to lose is 300 gems. And with the new functionality I could see a lot of people who weren’t interested in legendaries when they were just a skin wanting one now.

It’s a bit redundant now it’s been tested but I was going to say there’s no reason it wouldn’t work, the only distinction the transmutation system makes is between items that can be transmuted and ones that can’t. It doesn’t care what skins or what stats you choose.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Evoneva Drakon.1754

Evoneva Drakon.1754

wow, thanks for testing this out Kyvia

Posted by: Zanthrax.6538

Zanthrax.6538

…WHY

…no seriously…WHY.

Don’t forget about guaranteed Best-in-Slot stats. You won’t have to re-grind when the next level past Ascended is introduced (or when level caps are raised).

1) There isn’t another level above ascended, colin said in an interview with matt visual he can’t speak for years and years down the future…but for a very long time if they stay the course they want to…no new stat gear…

2) Likewise no level gains ever….guild wars 1 didn’t do it and there has been no snippet of any suggestion that level cap will ever be increased.

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

I do not understand this. Why would you waste all that time and effort and gold on a legendary, just to cover it up with a skin?

Why wouldn’t you now, just craft an Ascended weapon(confirmed to be the last tier while Colin is still head of GW2) and put a skin on top of that?

Do you really want your Jade Dragon Greatsword to have purple lettering that badly?

I could understand wanting to switch stats to save money….but u could just make a berserker weapon that will work with 99.9% of builds even if it is zerker.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

now that item would REALLY be LEGENDARY

haha

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

It is not “confirmed” that Ascended is the last one. Even for years. Yes, I have read Colins interview and he’s vague about it, not committing for sure.
He doesn’t say 100% that there will or won’t be more. “This should be it” or “Maybe in 7 years we’ll add a tier” or “maybe someone else will be in charge” or “no new tier this year” is hardly confirmation and is just side-stepping a direct answer. He doesn’t know what will happen. Look how much the game has changed in just 1 year. He could not even work there in a years time, maybe he’ll get a different job elsewhere. He’s not hinting that there will be new tiers either. They’re open-ended answers that pacify the playerbase for now. Yes, you can interpret it as him saying 100% no new tiers or you can interpret it the other way too – thats the point though.
With such a wishy-washy answer, I don’t blame people for doing this with Legendaries, they’re future-proof.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

You’ll never get “confirmation” because there are levels of management above Colin and if they say do this, it is done.

They won’t make statements like “we will never have a tier above ascended” because if it happens five years from now, people will dig out the old interview and post it all over as proof that Anet lied to us, even if Colin has moved on and someone else made the decision.

That is why all these “I demand a response” threads are pointless.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

also they said a lot of time ago that there will be a level cap raise so…

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Lord Kuru.3685

I do not understand this. Why would you waste all that time and effort and gold on a legendary, just to cover it up with a skin?

Why wouldn’t you now, just craft an Ascended weapon(confirmed to be the last tier while Colin is still head of GW2) and put a skin on top of that?

Do you really want your Jade Dragon Greatsword to have purple lettering that badly?

I could understand wanting to switch stats to save money….but u could just make a berserker weapon that will work with 99.9% of builds even if it is zerker.

It’s got nothing to do with purple lettering. Legendaries are no longer simply cosmetic items. They are guaranteed best-in-slot gear. Why grind for stats tier after tier when you can just do it once?

By the way, I don’t believe for a second that Anet intends for this to be the last tier of gear. Remember the Colin Johnson quote about expecting people to have best-in-slot gear upon reaching level 80? I simply don’t trust what he says.

And who’s to say they won’t raise the level cap either — that way Ascended will be the last tier, but your level 80 gear will be inferior to level 90 Ascended gear.

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

…WHY

…no seriously…WHY.

1) There isn’t another level above ascended, colin said in an interview with matt visual he can’t speak for years and years down the future…but for a very long time if they stay the course they want to…no new stat gear…

2) Likewise no level gains ever….guild wars 1 didn’t do it and there has been no snippet of any suggestion that level cap will ever be increased.

LOL. You need to go back and read some of the Colin interviews from before launch. It didn’t take “years in the future” for him to backtrack on many of those commitments.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Mjolnir with Legendary stats is something that I’d find attractive enough to go for. Better than the lamp-post.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

This is conflicted too. I’ll try to find it if someone doesnt beat me to it, but I remember an interview where they were talking about it not being possible to raise the cap in GW1, but that they made it fully possible to raise the level cap if they wanted in GW2 and was a possibility.
I’ll see if I can find that interview.

Posted by: cinemapaula.8673

cinemapaula.8673

Im still LOLing at all the whiney Meterlogicus owners. They just are never happy… they wanted upgrades and improvements, yet complain when they get them… nonstop apparently. Transmute it, so it looks like everything else… have fun with that.

Posted by: Tiasguitas.4163

Tiasguitas.4163

lol you people dont get it. no one likes the same stuff, plus nowadays legendarys are all about stats swap, not so the skin. ofc the skin is awesome and stuff…for some, but for others they arent. so its cool that u can have a freaking wooden sword legendary. at least every1 gets happy.
i for instance gonna transmute my gs, i hate it because its not very azurish, and i want my toon to feel an asura, whit asura armors and stuff. so ill change his lengedary skin to the super gs!
plus if u make legendarys just to show of, u have no creativity! like 40% of players than run around whit flames…

let the flame start

run away

Posted by: GenoUnknown.7504

GenoUnknown.7504

The only Legendary I will waste my time on is Kudzu, and maybe The Flameseeker Prophecies. They are the only two I think look decently cool, but I don’t think any of them are worth 1000g+ it costs to just get the precursor, so I’ll probably never have a Legendary. (I mean, it took me two years to get 200g… seriously. I’m bad at money in MMO’s).

Either way, I can see easily why someone would want to change the skins of their Legendary weapons. I probably wouldn’t do it though just ’cause.

Kisu Beki(Guardian) | Suki The Great (Warrior) | Suki Grimm (Necromancer)
Geno Bishou (Elementist) | Suki The Huntress (Ranger) | Geno The Unknown (Thief)

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Way to necro a thread…

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

Isn’t this thread almost a year old?

Attachments:

Posted by: GenoUnknown.7504

GenoUnknown.7504

Oh wow, old is old. I just saw it was on the front of the page and added my two cents, haha.

Kisu Beki(Guardian) | Suki The Great (Warrior) | Suki Grimm (Necromancer)
Geno Bishou (Elementist) | Suki The Huntress (Ranger) | Geno The Unknown (Thief)