question regarding load time

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

in the past my load time for mapping was anywhere between 1-3 seconds. 3 seconds only when LA had lots of people and at peak times. Usually mapping into LA was about 2 seconds at most. Then while in LA when mapping to a different waypoint while in town. It was about half a second to 1 second max in time.

A few days ago, my load times more than doubled and tripled in some places. In LA I noticed it is up to 3 seconds at the least.

I have not modified any settings. Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. If not I need to find out what the culprit is.

I have not played near as much as I once did. If it was a change in the game. I cannot say when it would have started.

(edited by danielrjones.8759)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Might be due to the increased population as a result of the MegaServer implementation. Just a wild guess.

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

My load times were never fantastic, but since the megaserver, I go and make a cup of tea when waiting for heavily populated areas to arrive.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Oh man, I would love 2-3 second load times, mine are typically in the 7-10 at best and can be upwards of 15 at worst (I do get insta load if I’m basically on a wp, anywhere else and I have a long wait)
Could be my graphics card, I’ve been running gpu-z and just standing in game sits around 90% utilization, not even during events or anything.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

My 10krpm hard drive thrashes like crazy, and my load times are well over 10s per zone.

Posted by: Elden Arnaas.4870

Elden Arnaas.4870

If you can hear your hard drive doing a lot of seeks, you probably need to defrag your hard drive. Piriform makes a good defragmenter, called “defraggler”. After updates, I find my load times increase substantially. Doing a defrag helps get my load times back to normal. It may take a few hours to do a full defrag if your drive is badly fragmented.

Posted by: METALROCKS.6097

METALROCKS.6097

mine always took 10 secs. but i have to admit that it does take a bit longer now than i remember. but wow, 2-3 secs long. never had that. unless i load to a waypoint on the same map.

Posted by: xXxOrcaxXx.9328

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

My loadingtimes aren’t legit anymore. Could be 1 min or so for LA. The funny thing is however, if I switch my graphics to low, I load in between 5-10 seconds. Switching the graphics back to high does take another 5 seconds. I really don’t know why I’m spending 1 minute with loadingscreens.

Ranger - Guardian - Warrior - Elementalist - Necromancer - Mesmer
EU Elona Reach – Void Sentinels

Posted by: Cureless.4672

Cureless.4672

Its because of mega server, Previously you would just get ploped into your servers map. Map full? OVERFLOW WITH YOU. But now with mega server it calculates alot of things to try find you a good match then plops you into one of the new mega servers.

I’m bad at explaining things >w>

Posted by: RoxBuryNine.4210

RoxBuryNine.4210

My loading times have been steadily increasing during the past several weeks. It’s getting to be quite annoying. I try to avoid LA and DR as much as possible because those two zones take the longest. I’m still in the process of adjusting my machine, but I still think that there’s only so much bling that any machine can handle.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

I have an i7-4440k and gdr5 16gb ram with a solid state drive clocking around 550 mb/s read speed and I have never experienced a 2 or 3 second load time when swapping zones. I think you’re underestimating the time it actually takes

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can use -loadmapinfo to determine your actual load time. I feel extremely lucky when it is under 10 seconds for most places. LA can be up to 180+ seconds on a bad day.

Posted by: Tic Tac Toe.1482

Tic Tac Toe.1482

My loading times seem to be going up as well, around 10-15 seconds depending on the zone. This is on a i7-4400, geforce 760, 16 gig RAM, and 2 SSD’s in RAID-0.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

A way to vastly decrease load times in cities is to select a waypoint where there are likely to be few, if any, players around you. You can then insta-waypoint without a loading screen to the waypoint you wished to go to initially where all the other people and services are at.

Example:
Rata Sum – Accountancy Waypoint

• Dozens upon dozens of people at the banks, TP, sitting idle or having food fights
  • 30-45 second load time (sometimes longer)

Versus

Rata Sum – Metrical Court Waypoint

• One person there, maybe two…if any
  • 8-10 second load time
  • Can then instant transfer to Accountancy Waypoint without a load screen.
| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: RoxBuryNine.4210

RoxBuryNine.4210

Just now I took the portal from SoR Borderlands to LA. I was amazed that LA loaded immediately. That may be the way to go from now on.

My machine does need more RAM so that’s been ordered.

Posted by: weskay.9217

weskay.9217

It’s very likely that it is mega server related as the first responder said. I added a few cents in one of the mega server feedback forums about the loading times. Loading into the various waypoints specifically for the world bosses takes upwards to one minute for me now which is severely problematic since most world bosses die within that time due to the huge zergs this mega server creates. It was never this slow. Lion’s Arch pre-patch took 15 seconds roughly which was the longest I had to wait. Every other zone took seconds as well.

www.vanquishing.enjin.com

Posted by: Noble.2670

Noble.2670

If you delete the chache it greatly reduces the load time, I do mine every time I log in

Stupid Seven [sM]
my vids: https://tinyurl.com/sevenddelem

Posted by: Zeepo.5218

Zeepo.5218

Mine can take upto 2 minutes… On average it takes about 30 seconds. Before the megaserver it takes 7-10 seconds. I agree this megaserver slows down loading speeds

By the gods -Human

Posted by: Carnius Magius.8091

Carnius Magius.8091

Reminds of the old GW1 days when you entered an area for the first time. The game client didn’t download an area of the map until it was needed. The -image switch in the command line would finish downloading the complete game with all the new content. GW2 downloads all the new content at startup.

If load times really bother you use the -verify command line switch. It should take about 6 minutes to verify the 280k+ files in the GW2.dat file. For the fastest speeds, GW2 should located as close to the outermost sectors of the hard drive as possible.

For those who have slow load times, post how long it takes to verify your GW2.dat file. This should eliminate your hardware and put more of the blame on the server and your internet connection.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Load times would have normally increased due to the returning players to see the new features but I have a feeling it’s due to the new system. It’s happened on other titles with single shard systems anytime they did something to improve the shard channel system (which is essentially what’s being used here) the servers had more chatter until a few patches later and then things were cleaned up. It will most likely get cleaned over a period of a couple of months or so.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!