racism in chat OK?

racism in chat OK?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: brently.7946

brently.7946

Q:

Hi,

I was in a solo arena match a few minutes ago and someone was typing in some oriental language. Another player then told the person to stop and called them a (only using the words as a reference from the chat) “rice picker.” They said this to the person twice during our short match.

I reported that player for taking his own issues with not being able to accept a different race or culture into the game. I also kindly told him(or her) I reported him(or her). Their reply was lololol I’ve never been banned for that. (not exact words )

So my question is, does Anet not care about racism? Will anything happen to this person or was he right to laugh at me for reporting because it’s a waste of time?

(edited by brently.7946)

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

A:

Hi,

I was in a solo arena match a few minutes ago and someone was typing in some oriental language. Another player then told the person to stop and called them a (only using the words as a reference from the chat) “rice picker.” They said this to the person twice during our short match.

I reported that player for taking his own issues with not being able to accept a different race or culture into the game. I also kindly told him(or her) I reported him(or her). Their reply was lololol I’ve never been banned for that. (not exact words )

So my question is, does Anet not care about racism? Will anything happen to this person or was he right to laugh at me for reporting because it’s a waste of time?

I’ve caught this too in Fractals. Racism in a game is never okay, and it violates the TOS.

In cases like this always right click on the name and select “Report”. Then let Anet take care of the rest. If that person’s name-calling really bothers you, then add that players name to your block list. That’s what I do when I see people use the N word. When you block a player, you can no longer see their messages.

(edited by kta.6502)

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

Arenanet doesn’t tend to report to the playerbase when they take action against individuals. Also, posting screenshots of other players names and “calling them out” is against the forum rules.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Report them for verbal abuse. They will get temp banned.

racism in chat OK?

brently.7946

ugh is it? Is there a way to remove screens?

and so basically, nothing will happen. gtk i guess, although annoying. dont see the point in a report for verbal abuse if no action is taken.

**edit: I deleted them but they’re still showing for me when I refresh. hope they get deleted soon.

(edited by brently.7946)

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

Amazing how weak we as a society have become.

Understand – I do not agree with racism at all, but if you are that hurt by a few words in a video game you need a reality check.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

and so basically, nothing will happen. gtk i guess, although annoying. dont see the point in a report for verbal abuse if no action is taken.

**edit: I deleted them but they’re still showing for me when I refresh. hope they get deleted soon.

The person you reported will most likely get a temporary suspension. You won’t be told what happens though.

Just remember that the forums are not for reporting people (hence why the use of their names in the post or in screen shots is against the rules). The in game report feature is the proper way to do it.

Server: Devona’s Rest

racism in chat OK?

brently.7946

I’m not hurt… he wasn’t attacking me with his words. But I don’t like to see others being attacked for no reason like that. The way I see it is the racists need a reality check, not the other way around.

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

ANet does take action. 72 hours suspension for the first offense. Each succeeding offense is longer, up to complete account termination if it continues.

And yes, people do get suspended. I have read a number of threads in the Account forum from people who were suspended for language who were outraged that they were expected to control themselves. I read one post from a friend of a banned person asking for reinstatement.

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Geezus bookah dude, all it takes is to right click the name, report Verbal Abuse.

It takes 5 seconds.

By not reporting it, you are encouraging more instances of this happening.

If no one reported it, Anet would have no ability to tell that it’s happening in game.

Suck it up, report it, block and move on. Simple.

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: justjon.3189

justjon.3189

The person you reported will most likely get a temporary suspension. You won’t be told what happens though.

Just remember that the forums are not for reporting people (hence why the use of their names in the post or in screen shots is against the rules). The in game report feature is the proper way to do it.

People get temp banned. Just because the guy can flaunt nothings happened just means no one’s probably ever actually reported him.

racism in chat OK?

brently.7946

Thanks for the info

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Thanks for the info

One other bit of advice: don’t tell them you are reporting them.

That will likely make them mad at which point they will troll you until you say something you shouldn’t say and then they will report YOU!

If you see someone saying something inappropriate, just report them and then ignore them.

Server: Devona’s Rest

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

Hi,

Reports should only be used for bots and spammers…If you can’t handle other people on a game you shouldn’t be playing an MMO or even using the internet…

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: justjon.3189

justjon.3189

Thanks for the info

One other bit of advice: don’t tell them you are reporting them.

That will likely make them mad at which point they will troll you until you say something you shouldn’t say and then they will report YOU!

If you see someone saying something inappropriate, just report them and then ignore them.

And by ignore actually use the feature as far as I know when queuing you won’t get matched with pal you have ignored but even if you are well you won’t see them and the way I see it if you talk like that you’ll never say anything I care to hear.

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

Hi,

Reports should only be used for bots and spammers…If you can’t handle other people on a game you shouldn’t be playing an MMO or even using the internet…

Bingo – we have a winner.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Hi,

No, if people were allowed to throw any abuse they wanted in chat, it would create a hostile in game environment, and give Gw2 a bad reputation as far as community goes.

Verbal abuse and offensive language should be reported.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

racism in chat OK?

brently.7946

Thanks for the people standing against this form of verbal abuse. I was starting to lose faith in the community when people were expecting me to defend myself for having a voice against racism.

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Hi,

If that is the case, then why are there other options for reporting people in game?

No. Verbal abuse and harassment should never be tolerated just because ’it’s the internet’.
Just because people can hide behind their computer monitors doesn’t make such actions okay…

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Rice picker isn’t racism. It’s a joke.
It’s like saying all swedish people are blondes.

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Nope sorry, the welcome to MMOs and Internet argument is tiresome, old and out dated. The anonymity provided by the Internet is not an excuse to treat other people poorly. In fact if you think such things are okay I suggest you wait a few years once you mature a bit and perhaps you will then understand that it isn’t appropriate, necessary, or desirable.

The Burninator

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

It’s not a joke it’s stereotyping which is VERY close to racism. No one likes to be on the receiving end of it.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

racism in chat OK?

brently.7946

no saying all Swedish people are blondes is a generalization / assumption. calling someone a ‘******* rice picker’ (his words) because he doesn’t want them to speak because they’re oriental is racism.

racism in chat OK?

Zoid.2568

no saying all Swedish people are blondes is a generalization / assumption. calling someone a ‘******* rice picker’ (his words) because he doesn’t want them to speak because they’re oriental is racism.

It’s not racism. Get a grip.

racism in chat OK?

Zoid.2568

It’s not a joke it’s stereotyping which is VERY close to racism. No one likes to be on the receiving end of it.

Sterotyping can be fun. Trolling can be fun.

Haha they made a new tv show here in Sweden and it’s about catching trolls on the internet.

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

Haha they made a new tv show here in Sweden and it’s about catching trolls on the internet.

So when will the episode featuring you be available for viewing?

The Burninator

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Thanks for the people standing against this form of verbal abuse. I was starting to lose faith in the community when people were expecting me to defend myself for having a voice against racism.

Boors should never be tolerated. Not in society. Not online. Society’s response to boors for a millennium has been ostracism.

Thank you for caring enough about the community here to report boorish behavior.

Btw, If you do have screenshots and feel something is egregious, you can always submit an email (with screenshots) and any other pertinent data to support.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Racism isn’t okay anywhere. OP, if you ever see it in game again you know what to do.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Sorry, rice-picker is in the Racial Slur Database.

http://www.rsdb.org/slur/rice-picker

Thank you for playing.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: Jaric.5679

Jaric.5679

Hi,

No, it isn’t. There is a selection for ‘Verbal Abuse’. If reporting was only for bots and spammers, why would they have that selectable?

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Feel free to muster some courage and go out in the real world and call someone who’s Asian a “Rice Picker” in a public setting. I’m sure the lulz will flow like spice…

The greatest thing the internet ever accomplished was keep terrible people off the streets. Not they ever got out much before hand anyway…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

racism in chat OK?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It’s against the Rules of conduct and thus reportable.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct/
While playing Guild Wars 2, you must respect the rights of others and their rights to play and enjoy the Game. To this end, you may not defraud, harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other players. This includes posting insulting, offensive, or abusive comments about players, repeatedly sending unwanted messages, reporting players maliciously, attacking a player based on race, sexual orientation, religion, heritage, etc. Hate speech is not tolerated.