refund trickery

refund trickery

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Michael.6849

Michael.6849

So after that whole ascended debacle I demanded a refund, I know some of you won’t agree with this, but it’s the principle of the matter, I even waited a couple of days (in vane) for an explanation as I was still within the 6 month period, so eventually I sent support a mail on the 17th demanding a refund, I purchased my first copy the 21st of may.

Of course they hassled me with a couple of “are you sure” mails and if I wanted to close both my accounts, so eventually I get a positive answer for both the credit card bought account and the one I purchased with paypal earlier:

“We have also processed a refund for order number 26608813. A €54.99 credit has been applied to your PayPal® account and should appear within the next 2-3 business days.”

So, couple of days later, no money, no word from Anet, I mail them to ask if they could look into it and they have the brass little cats to write me this:

“Thank you for contacting us back.
Unfortunately PayPal® will not accept refunds over 180 days. Your order 26608813 was purchased on May 21, 2012 and as such falls outside of the return window.
I am sorry but we are unable to refund this purchase.”

refund trickery

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

Actually, Paypal’s refund time limit is 45 days the last time I looked, so if you paid with it and they don’t actually want to refund you, you’re screwed either way. Paypal itself won’t do anything to help you. Sorry man.

refund trickery

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Meh. Always gotta plan ahead. Processing should be accounted for. Now if it was Nexon, where my processed ticket wasn’t looked at until a year later…then we got some issues there

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

refund trickery

Michael.6849

Still, not cool of them, telling me all is in order and then I find out it’s the opposite,
than again their bait and switch scheme doesn’t float my boat either.
Wish all these 180’s made me feel like I’m in a halfpipe, at least that’s somewhat fun.

refund trickery

Posted by: Ayane Hajinmon.9165

Ayane Hajinmon.9165

soo…is that mean its Paypal fault? if you used regular credit card like Mastercard you would have got it back right?
sorry if i sound like an idiot…i never use paypal so i dont get how it work

refund trickery

Posted by: Vegas.5790

Vegas.5790

Paypal’s refund policy is the problem, and no, that’s not Anet’s… you chose the method of payment.

I too am disappointed by the turn to gear grinding, but if you’ve played the game for 3 months, you at least got some value there.

Pretty unheard of for a company to give refunds on video games in this day & age anyway.

refund trickery

Posted by: Shooopa.5632

Shooopa.5632

Your problem isn’t AreaNet, it’s PayPal.

User will be infracted for this post.

(edited by Shooopa.5632)

refund trickery

Posted by: AnemoneMeer.7182

AnemoneMeer.7182

Did you play the game? Did you enjoy the time you did play?

If so, you’re not really entitled to a refund. Sorry, but it’s true.

refund trickery

Michael.6849

In Europe there’s a 6 month window to get your refund, I made the window, but because of processing they made me miss it, they could have just refunded me on my credit card account as they did for my second account.

And I don’t think dead people should deem who is deserving of a refund, like I said in my first post, some of you might not agree with this, but it’s the principle of the matter.

At launch the game seemed like a fading shadow of the original, but hey this is Anet, I could accept the compromises they made to attract a bigger crowd, but my line was drawn at the stat cap. The only thing left that I enjoyed was the lore, which isn’t that plentiful and imho the Gw2 story doesn’t live up to the original campaigns nor the first book

P.S. My main was a ranger, so yeah I think I deserve a refund just for that

refund trickery

Posted by: Vegas.5790

Vegas.5790

Ah, European standards for a refund, I see. Maybe Europe also refunds in a different manner than how it was purchased, but in the U.S. it’s a moot point.

If you were posting to get sympathy for you not getting a refund for something you used for 3 months, I doubt you’ll get many takers.

refund trickery

Posted by: AnemoneMeer.7182

AnemoneMeer.7182

In Europe there’s a 6 month window to get your refund, I made the window, but because of processing they made me miss it, they could have just refunded me on my credit card account as they did for my second account.

To post a hypothetical. I vacation in europe, buy a car while there, then the day before I leave, I demand a refund.

I used the car. The car was useful to me. It did what it was supposed to do. But I haven’t used it enough to not get the refund. Is it right for me to get a refund?

Even if GW2 messed up (See: Ascended gear, which I do agree was a mistake to be fractals only, but they ARE changing that), you already played it, and got what you wanted from it when you bought it. The changes made do not take away from the fact it did what you wanted it to do when you bought it, and you did play it. Were they to refund it now, they would have given you time on the servers, and however many hours of entertainment free.

If you played and didn’t like the game when you bought it, you deserve a refund, if you played, then it got changed after a while, you still got what you paid for when you paid for it, and do not deserve a refund. Six months is far too long for electronics, as many are outright outdated within six months, or the servers are dead, etc, etc, etc.

refund trickery

Posted by: Chris.7653

Chris.7653

So after that whole ascended debacle I demanded a refund, I know some of you won’t agree with this, but it’s the principle of the matter, I even waited a couple of days (in vane) for an explanation as I was still within the 6 month period, so eventually I sent support a mail on the 17th demanding a refund, I purchased my first copy the 21st of may.

Of course they hassled me with a couple of “are you sure” mails and if I wanted to close both my accounts, so eventually I get a positive answer for both the credit card bought account and the one I purchased with paypal earlier:

“We have also processed a refund for order number 26608813. A €54.99 credit has been applied to your PayPal® account and should appear within the next 2-3 business days.”

So, couple of days later, no money, no word from Anet, I mail them to ask if they could look into it and they have the brass little cats to write me this:

“Thank you for contacting us back.
Unfortunately PayPal® will not accept refunds over 180 days. Your order 26608813 was purchased on May 21, 2012 and as such falls outside of the return window.
I am sorry but we are unable to refund this purchase.”

It’s 60 bucks man, you have got way more than 60 out of it already…is it really that big of a deal?

refund trickery

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I think it’s low class to ask for a refund on a small entertainment item you bought months ago.

refund trickery

Chris.7653

I think it’s low class to ask for a refund on a small entertainment item you bought months ago.

I couldn’t agree more.

I am actually ashamed ANet is actually giving them.

(edited by Chris.7653)

refund trickery

Michael.6849

I really loved the original game, the main reason for me demanding a refund is that it doesn’t resemble gw in the slightest anymore, after I got to lvl 80 twice and devoured most of the content, I already knew that this type of gameplay wouldn’t keep me playing a fraction as long as the original did, but they still had my support, like I said, I loved guild wars, maybe they would improve on that somewhere down the line, they did the exact opposite though, /ignore_gameplay ,/bread_and_games_in_form_of_geargrind_so_the_plebs_will_stay_quiet
So that’s where they lost my, apparently limited, faith in them, and that’s the reason I want my refund, I’ll be kitten if my money goes to developing whatever this is now

refund trickery

Michael.6849

Like I said in the first post people, some of you might not agree with the whole refund idea, but seriously, it’s the only way to make yourself heard, to let them know that what they are doing is not something any original Gw fan would stand behind, just try to find any resemblance to the original game, trust me it ain’t easy, hell it was pretty hard at launch.
The only reason there was such outrage and flaming towards them is because the fans cared, and ofcourse some people just love to complain, but they don’t make 11000 reply threads, well not usually

refund trickery

Michael.6849

I wonder, would you reply QQ to all the outrage there was towards SOPA and PIPA ?

When people care for something they should show their outrage when it is threatened to be modified in such a horrid way it’s not recognizable anymore.

Otherwise you get a bunch of jaded cats who refer to two letters on their board

refund trickery

Posted by: Bluestone.7106

Bluestone.7106

I don’t see why you deserve a refund. If I was the sort to cry about them adding a trivial tier of gear then I would cut my losses and leave the game but I wouldn’t ask for a refund. What kind of self-entitled person would ask for a refund in that sort of circumstance? My mind boggles at the thought.

My homeworld is Blackgate.
I am a GW2 player in New Zealand.
Check me out on the GW2 wiki.

refund trickery

Michael.6849

it’s about the principle dude, when they give me the account they wouldn’t refund back, I’m giving it away, I just wanted to make them understand, and anyone who knows multinationals knows they speak only one language, namely money

refund trickery

Chris.7653

it’s about the principle dude, when they give me the account they wouldn’t refund back, I’m giving it away, I just wanted to make them understand, and anyone who knows multinationals knows they speak only one language, namely money

It’s not about principle…it’s no better than you going to a resturant eating a big steak then going “yeahhh wasn’t the steak I expected” then demanding to not pay…and then running to a review site and complaining they made you pay for something you already enjoyed…

You bought the product, you know the risk of a MMO (it’s not always perfect) you rolled the dice and you didn’t like it…it really is tough cookie in this situation…

refund trickery

Posted by: Bvhjdbvkjf.1987

Bvhjdbvkjf.1987

I wonder, would you reply QQ to all the outrage there was towards SOPA and PIPA ?

When people care for something they should show their outrage when it is threatened to be modified in such a horrid way it’s not recognizable anymore.

There is a difference FYI – SOPA and PIPA were created to infringe upon the rights of the people/businesses…

You played a game for months, then were rewarded with your dislike over their design by not being charged for the time you spent enjoying it.

For someone who speaks about things based on principals – you sure don’t seem to grasp much at all.

refund trickery

Michael.6849

The reason I gave that analogy was to make clear that if you care for something, anything really, people shouldn’t disregard your outrage with QQ.

Btw I don’t think people who made that bill see it as infringement, actually they designed it against infringement, or at least that is what they wanted to make us believe they created it for.

I admit that analogy wasn’t the best I could have made, but the other one that came to mind seemed even more unjust to make.

refund trickery

Posted by: HeeHee.5208

HeeHee.5208

First, Anet stops online sales of GW2 near the start of launch for players.

Second, Anet willing to give a refund on a purchase over 180 days old while Blizzard refuses to give refunds (Diablo 3) to the extent that the South Korean? government intervened and fined it.

Good on Anet!

refund trickery

Bvhjdbvkjf.1987

The reason I gave that analogy was to make clear that if you care for something, anything really, people shouldn’t disregard your outrage with QQ.

Btw I don’t think people who made that bill see it as infringement, actually they designed it against infringement, or at least that is what they wanted to make us believe they created it for.

I admit that analogy wasn’t the best I could have made, but the other one that came to mind seemed even more unjust to make.

Perhaps the reason you’re finding it hard to justify your position then is because – as aforementioned – you’re demanding to receive something for nothing. I don’t want to come across as insulting you personally, but I just can’t feel anything for someone who rushes into an investment and regrets it later.

I’d suggest to you that waiting a year after new games release is the way you should buy them. If things so small upset you so greatly then at least waiting that window will allow you to see the true direction a game will take before purchasing.

refund trickery

Michael.6849

Funny, you brought up D3, the other big disappointment this year in the gaming world, tbh I also loved D2, and of course I hated D3, and played it only for 1-2 months I think, still I didn’t even bother asking for a refund.

I wonder why ? maybe because I hardly ever ask for one
maybe because I don’t have the same expectations of a Blizzard product

Those are both true I guess, but the main reason is I just don’t care about Diablo the way I did about Guild Wars, it truly was a unique game, and I hope I someday find a worthy successor.

refund trickery

Posted by: Dungin.2983

Dungin.2983

Second, Anet willing to give a refund on a purchase over 180 days old while Blizzard refuses to give refunds (Diablo 3) to the extent that the South Korean? government intervened and fined it.

Good on Anet!

This. There are two things I really respect about Arena Net

refund trickery

Posted by: Archmortal.1027

Archmortal.1027

Did you play the game? Did you enjoy the time you did play?

If so, you’re not really entitled to a refund. Sorry, but it’s true.

According to ANET we are entitled to a refund for 180 days after purchase. Sorry, but it’s true.

refund trickery

Posted by: Dungin.2983

Dungin.2983

Good on Anet!

This. There are two things I respect about Arena Net.

1. They will not be bullied by their player base (unlike WoW) — This was even shown in the beginning when they were dropping the ban hammer like no ones business; and even more recently when they mass banned bots. They take their game seriously.
2. They have shown good business ethics in regards to refund policy. We can all agree that changes made aren’t for everyone and they are allowing people an out.

I personally respect that they do not cow tow or are not bullied by their fans. They listen, but they stick with the plan as they see it.

(edited by Dungin.2983)

refund trickery

Michael.6849

@Bvh if this were any other game/product/developer I would agree with you on all accounts and you’d prolly never see me on those forums, thing is I placed Anet and GW on a sort of pedestal, I expected greater things from them.

Maybe their whole manifesto/insanely long promo led me there, maybe my love and insane amount of hours playing and loving the original did, I strongly suspect the latter.

The only reason I wanted a refund is because I don’t want to support them anymore, sure that’s unfair to them considering I wouldn’t demand it from other companies.

But otherwise all the QQ gets directed to someone’s board like grazingcattle said, which let’s face it, is what happened to most of the feedback they got that was negative, it got merged/deleted.

By asking for a refund I at least gave them a metric they will maybe use someday

refund trickery

Michael.6849

@Dungin, seriously ?
They must have listened to someone, otherwise I see no reason to implement ascended gear and FotM, I realize some people want that stuff, but it wasn’t expected from the advertised product I’d say.

refund trickery

Bvhjdbvkjf.1987

By asking for a refund I at least gave them a metric they will maybe use someday

That much I can understand…

There is no purpose for this thread though. It’s not going to solve anything – won’t persuade people to ask for refunds themselves… All we have now is another place for people to troll each other over differing opinions.

I’m ready for a mod to close this thread.

refund trickery

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Yeah. You might have a point. After all, those PETA folks were onto something when they were outraged at Super Mario 3D Land over the tanooki suit power up.

Oh, wait. They weren’t. And you don’t.

They were unreasonable cry babies who drew unreasonable parallels that I’m almost certain you’re sharing in kind to the ascended gear debacle.

But don’t let logic and reason get in the way of your ‘principles’. Too proud to admit you’re wrong, too many words already said.

Anet is pure unadulterated evil and they betraydeded you. That’s your story and you’re sticking to it.

No kidding…

refund trickery

Michael.6849

Yeah, they can close it, not much constructive feedback
But at least we managed to keep it quite civil, a rare thing on forums these days.

refund trickery

Michael.6849

wow the mario tanooki analogy, would never have thought of that, and yeah they were unreasonable, but kitten don’t compare me to them, that’s just mean.

refund trickery

CETheLucid.3964

If the shoe fits mate… but I am sorry to see you go. That’s a pity. Maybe some other game, maybe in the next life. Take care.

refund trickery

Michael.6849

Let’s just be clear, the shoe doesn’t fit at all, PETA didn’t have expectations of Mario, they were just outraged because they thought it somehow promoted skinning tanooki’s or whatever which is utterly unreasonable.

I demanded a refund because the type of game advertised was drastically altered and I cared so greatly for it that I didn’t want to support that change, and seeing as the complaints are ignored anyway, that was the best course imo.

So yeah, I don’t wanna know where you get your shoes sir.

refund trickery

Posted by: LostMK.4089

LostMK.4089

just wait till they also remove the key from your account, as if the refund went through – no money and no game, thats how anet works

refund trickery

CETheLucid.3964

Let’s just be clear, the shoe doesn’t fit at all, PETA didn’t have expectations of Mario, they were just outraged because they thought it somehow promoted skinning tanooki’s or whatever which is utterly unreasonable.

I demanded a refund because the type of game advertised was drastically altered and I cared so greatly for it that I didn’t want to support that change, and seeing as the complaints are ignored anyway, that was the best course imo.

So yeah, I don’t wanna know where you get your shoes sir.

You’re QQing because you personally hate a very minor non-infringing update that unless you’re a hardcore fractals grinder (which isn’t needed to do at all to begin with, assuming you’re interested in that particular), it will effect you in no honest way.

If you’re not interested in fractals, you can ignore the dungeon altogether.

If it’s the ascended gear you want without any fractal association, ascended gear is soon coming to the main game in several different avenues.

I assume you already knew that.

Essentially, you’re trying to work a social activism scenario… over a video game.

As per your comparison. Your comparisons to SOPA and PIPA is insulting to the good people who oppose those things, honestly.

That was an actual and legitimate problem for internet users on a grand scale. Your personal and unfounded disdain for a video game update is irrelevant.

So yes. That’s just about at the level of PETA getting mad at Super Mario 3D Land over tanooki suits.

You’re being ridiculous, unreasonable, and presume yourself entitled to a refund well after the fact by raising a stink on some imaginary moral high ground you suppose to have over Anet.

There is a reason the cats are jaded.

refund trickery

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

I don’t want to defend a player refunding a game this late into it, I honestly don’t.

But honestly I can understand players feeling that the direction of the game has changed, and the product has taken on a direction they don’t like and in that regard they feel somewhat let down or betrayed or even misled, if you had all the facts of the game on release or pre-release and I’m talking in the sense of IMMUTABLE facts and senses here. Then honestly you cannot say it would not impact your decision to buy the game, and should he feel this is directly misleading and insulting to his values as a consumer how on earth does he show this?

If a few outraged players leave the game, it’s not massive deal, they still retain those that will always be happy with the equivalent of a console game in an MMO costume, if they lose a LARGE number of players, they still retain the aforementioned “gamers” and they just alter their game further to survive “a la” SWTOR

Sure it’s all fine and dandy to say “Oh but player retention… it does affect them if you stop playing and suppporting” etc etc, but that can often be very misleading as to how effective it really is to generate any sort of change in a game for the better.

In the end no one can change the game direction except of course A-net, and it will probably survive anyways because people really will just play any old garbage if they delude themselves enough. The fact players are seeking refunds is more to make a “statement” as opposed to trying to get a free meal and then run before paying it.

Hence the term “principle” is used, in the words of Heath Ledgers mesmerizing joker:

“it’s not about the money it’s about sending a message”

As for the bad analogy, problems are always a subjective matter. You don’t always share them, you don’t always care about the same things even as another person, that doesn’t lessen their issue.

Irony…. xD

refund trickery

Posted by: Grazingcattle.1627

Grazingcattle.1627

I fail to see how you not getting your 60 bucks back is even close to the removal of freedom of speech?!

Saying you deserve a refund when you already played the game for more than a month is like saying you deserve a refund on the paint job on your car because you don’t like the color you picked.

It was clear that they weren’t reskinning GW1 and that you were buying a brand new game which comes with the risk of not enjoying the new game. I see this attitude more and more in kids and it saddens me.

Just say no to QQ

refund trickery

CETheLucid.3964

I can understand players feeling that the direction of the game has changed, and the product has taken on a direction they don’t like and in that regard they feel somewhat let down or betrayed or even misled, if you had all the facts of the game on release or pre-release and I’m talking in the sense of IMMUTABLE facts and senses here.

The immutable facts are that everything is status quo from release until now. They didn’t break their creed.

You and/or else others can feel that way (and thus delude yourselves), but that doesn’t change the matter of fact.

They could have gone about the release and dissemination of information much better then they did, but the facts remain. You can read all about it for yourselves.

Or not, and continue to repeat the mantra of ignorance.

“la la la la i cant hear you, anet betraydeded me refund plz”

refund trickery

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

They actually do extensive data collection on players’ activities. If you don’t log in, you are sending a message, just fine. If you don’t do wvw, don’t run fractals, have low fps in Metrica Province… everything you do and don’t do gets counted.

Vote with your feet without forfeiting your account (in case they don’t make you qq forever)

refund trickery

Posted by: Penence.1546

Penence.1546

why do people always cry and say omg guild wars 2 is nothing like guild wars the original. It isnt the original you can buy that if you want guild wars 2 is and mmorpg thats going to evolve just how all others have just hopefully not to the visa and mastercard extent of most. If your crying beause gw2 isnt like the original gw then why the heck did you even buy it. Seems to me alot of people basically just wanted a graphic overhaul of the original game.

refund trickery

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

This isn’t about whether you’re overreacting about Ascended gear. Fine, you’re entitled.

This isn’t about the fact you paid for the game and played it for some time before getting a full refund. I don’t like that but it’s not my business to say whether or not you do.

This is about the fact ANet authorized a refund, but Paypal being the ones to refuse to issue it. ArenaNet did their part . . . this is in Paypal’s lap.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

refund trickery

Posted by: CC Ivonne.6782

CC Ivonne.6782

Community Coordinator

Hello everybody,
this thread has derailed quite a bit. Also, the main issue (refund) is rather off-topic in this sub-forum so, it will be locked.
Thanks for understanding.