removing craft from character

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: iGrizzly.2360

iGrizzly.2360

I would like a feature that removes crafts from your character. I am aware that every character can learn all crafts and can even have up to 4 of them active with crafting licenses, but the option to completely unlearn or delete a craft is always welcome.

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

up to 4? i thought it was up to 3, with the additional license

i am curious though, why do you want to outright remove a craft? just never use it, problem solved. the only “downside” is that you’ll pay more if you switch back to it at some point, but you’ll keep all the recipes and rating you have now

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I would like a feature that removes crafts from your character. I am aware that every character can learn all crafts and can even have up to 4 of them active with crafting licenses, but the option to completely unlearn or delete a craft is always welcome.

Aside from learning chef 9 times in a row to level a character from 2 to 80, what would be the value to the community in forgetting a discipline entirely?

Plus, it sounds like it would take a lot of code/testing to make sure it worked properly and then there would be the inevitable customer service requests to undo the forgetting. So it’s likely to be high cost and high risk for ANet, too.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

I wouldn’t mind having the option of moving a craft from a character you want to delete, to another character you own.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

You can learn a craft and ;level it to max, get a second,and if you pay for it a 3rd and a 4th, and If you want to use a different craft you can learn another one, while deactivating one of your previous 2,3,4 repectively.

If you want to reuse this craft then speak with a master crafter and for a modest fee you’ll have acces to all the knowledge you gained before.

To completely forget would only suit people who level through crafting and wouldn’t be wise IMHO.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

iGrizzly.2360

I have purchased 2 crafting licenses and plan to keep all crafts/ recipes on my main (warrior). I am able to have 4 active crafts and would like the rest of my characters to have no crafts/ recipes available to them. It’s more of an OCD thing I guess.

Posted by: Hylgeriak.8250

Hylgeriak.8250

removing craft? No, in contrary! I’d really like to see crafting beer as a new profession! Just imagine all the possibilities! “Alcohol addict: you gain immunity to freezing for 30 seconds!”

Kyrgyz Manas – Gandara[EU]

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

I wouldn’t mind having the option of moving a craft from a character you want to delete, to another character you own.

This please, a ‘knowledge transfer’.
I have spread my crafting masteries over characters I would now like to remake, but considering the time and money spent on the craft, I can’t really do.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

iGrizzly.2360

^what Evans said.

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

I don’t really like the idea of deleting all progress on a discipline, but a transfer I could definitely get behind.

I have all crafting maxed out on different characters, but it’s difficult remembering who did what sometimes. The most common ones I get mixed up are Armorsmithing on my War and Weaponsmithing on my Guard.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

just get more char slots.. maximum 64 if i’m right

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

This is something I have been hoping they would add for a while.

Giving my first 8 characters crafting made sense. It is a way to level and very beneficial for an account to have the ability to crafting items all characters, friends and guildmates can use and share. What I did at first, was to give all my characters 2 crafting disciplines. It was more a waste of crating materials than help. I was hoping for a way to turn the other discipline off, but it isn’t an option.
The other issue was trying to keep track of who knew what recipes. Sure some are shared between 3 professions, but that means I need no more than 3, but which one? Both of my Tailors knew the recipe, but my Leatherworker didn’t, which means I gave it to the wrong character to begin with. Other times I have logged in to check all of them. which I could not imagine doing with all the characters I have now.
The last reason it has become useless to take multiple crafting disciplines are the Dailies. Crafting as an alternate way to level up, is outdone with Writs of Experience and Tomes of Knowledge. These consumables drop for every one you can complete and Tomes are available once a week, in multiples after the first week.

I understand that some folks may want all their characters to be able to be Jacks and Jills of all Trades, but I’m just not interested.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

(edited by Sankofa Jimiyu.1567)

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Have a way to move crafting skills seems like a good idea, but a way to just delete crafting skills just to appease an obscure pseudo-ODC is a terrible idea.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Rather than a crafting profession transfer service (which would likely be priced at 600~800 gems anyway, far exceeding the cost of retraining a profession from scratch), I think it would be a nice middle ground if we could craft crafting recipe. No, I didn’t stutter.

General idea is let our crafters create account-bound versions of the non-discoverable recipes, that way there won’t be any sidestepping of the money sink that is the crafting grind and we won’t have to worry about losing rare recipes from specific characters if we suddenly decide to delete them. By making the crafted recipes account bound it shouldn’t affect TP prices (assuming a majority of people have no intention of buying the same overpriced recipe more than once) and reduces some of the inconvenience of having to juggle characters looking for recipes.

Alternatively maybe the upcoming Scribe profession can learn to craft recipes through the Discovery pane by combining an inscription/insignia/consumable with some materials purchased with spirit shards or karma.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

This makes as much sense as having a function to delevel your character to level 1.

If you don’t want the crafting professions on that char, just ignore them.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

iGrizzly.2360

A transfer is definitely better.

Posted by: Flint.2941

Flint.2941

Old thread… but with the new login screen it lists crafts that I started on characters but completed on another. If the display included the level of craft they were at that would be great. Or otherwise I’d like to remove my level 2 tailor craft so I could remember which toon really has it.

Posted by: Shades.4572

Shades.4572

Old thread… but with the new login screen it lists crafts that I started on characters but completed on another. If the display included the level of craft they were at that would be great. Or otherwise I’d like to remove my level 2 tailor craft so I could remember which toon really has it.

^

Back in the day people used crafting to level their new characters. As a result I have a few characters with all the crafting partially leveled.

My personal thoughts:
-Option to remove the crafting icons from login screen
-Only show the crafting on login when it is at max level
-Move that information to the left with the character text
-Ability similar to changing crafting but instead “disables/pauses” so it doesn’t show up

Ya, I also realize it’s not that important and it’s my OCD. But it feels so cluttered when I roll over my characters and see the list of crafting that character has.

Posted by: icewyrm.5038

icewyrm.5038

Would be nice if unlocking lvl 500 crafting unlocked it account wide, recipes too. But with crafting licenses and things it’s not a realistic option I guess.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’d like to have the option of completely removing crafts, too. And, as has been noted, to transfer crafting to another character.

Something I’m not a big fan of is the ability for characters that don’t have a given craft to be able to read and consume recipes for that craft. I wish this wasn’t possible to do.

Posted by: Barinthus.8347

Barinthus.8347

I got all crafting professions to 400 on one character, thinking it’d be account wide.

Oops I learned too late they weren’t.

Just doesn’t make sense to make crafting character bound but whatever.

While ability to transfer, even if it’s one time thing, would be great, crafting should be account wide, period.

Seeking Deaf Players. People who don’t use voice software welcome too!

Posted by: Lolyta.4582

Lolyta.4582

I, too, would like to remove a crafting discipline from one of my characters. The reason is simple: the game now (finally! Thank you!) shows each character’s crafts on the character selection screen. I have a character who shows a craft, but it duplicates one I already have on another character, and her level in it is zero, or one, or whatever the “I have never crafted any item with this craft” level is. Twice, I have relied on the character selection screen display to log on to my (whatever level-zero craft she is shown as having), and twice I have chosen the wrong character. That’s easy to do when you have 11 characters on one account.

I don’t even know how she got the craft, but I’d like to remove it from her.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

lol… why would anyone want to unlearn crafting ? just switch to the one you need to be active…

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Relair.1843

Relair.1843

lol… why would anyone want to unlearn crafting ? just switch to the one you need to be active…

As a couple people have said, now that it shows your characters crafting icons more prominently, its annoying for people to have duplicate crafts on characters they dont want them on. Keeping track of which alt has which recipes etc. Plus it just bothers me to see an unused craft on an alt from years ago before I knew what I was doing. Its just a simple quality of life change for people’s peace of mind thats all. Shouldn’t be difficult for them to do.

Posted by: ybz.6547

ybz.6547

I would like to see this as well. On some chars i accidentaly started a profession because i just wanted to sell somwthing to a master crafter and misclicked the first dialog option and then clicking “yes” because my brain was occupied with something else. Over the years it happend several times and now i cant trust the charcter select screen.

I would therefore like to unlearn these 0-level crafts. Alternatively let us deactivate crafts even when the active slots are (partially) unused.

Posted by: cakemonkey.6347

cakemonkey.6347

This game has done such a good job of making things account based. I personally feel that crafting should be account based instead of character based, it seems silly to me anymore to make people switch characters to craft. That’s such an early gen MMO thing.

GW2 has almost taken us beyond that. I’d buy a gem store item just to make that happen, if that’s what it would take. At the very least allow us to have a crafting interface that lets us access the trades on professions and enter recipes and whatnot without having to log the character in.

I also feel character bound items are silly but that’s another discussion.

Posted by: Deeb.7638

Deeb.7638

I would like an option to delete as well, because I accidentally have 2 characters with the same crafts. I keep forgetting which one was the 400 one when they added icons to appear in character selection. So this will solve mistakes like that.

Belzebu.3912

I would like an option to delete as well, because I accidentally have 2 characters with the same crafts. I keep forgetting which one was the 400 one when they added icons to appear in character selection. So this will solve mistakes like that.

Change the crafting from the character that doesn’t have the 400, problem solved.

Deeb.7638

Change the crafting from the character that doesn’t have the 400, problem solved.

Not helping at all. I need to delete/disable those crafts cause they appear in character selection
When you have a lot of characters with many crafts, you will understand the need of this.

Belzebu.3912

As you can see in my sig I have 9 maxed character, and 2 others for specific farms, my 9 maxed ones all have crafting on them and some repeated, so what I did to solved the mess?
On my Revenant I only added Scribe, on all my other toons I swapped the not maxed crafting to scribe, that way when I look at my toons in the select screen I can see which one have the maxed crafting, if you don’t have access to scribe then pick other craft to be the “default” placeholder.

EDIT: In my mind it seems pretty logic/clear, not sure if my explanation made sense …

(edited by Belzebu.3912)

Posted by: Mez Koo.9510

Mez Koo.9510

I want to get rid of the icons on character select.

Deeb.7638

As you can see in my sig I have 9 maxed character, and 2 others for specific farms, my 9 maxed ones all have crafting on them and some repeated, so what I did to solved the mess?
On my Revenant I only added Scribe, on all my other toons I swapped the not maxed crafting to scribe, that way when I look at my toons in the select screen I can see which one have the maxed crafting, if you don’t have access to scribe then pick other craft to be the “default” placeholder.

EDIT: In my mind it seems pretty logic/clear, not sure if my explanation made sense …

Good for you, you say its logical to spend gold to max the same crafts when I don’t need more ? I’m satisfied with having all the crafting at maximum. Not going waste gold on it anymore ^^

I’m pretty sure a lot of people will agree with me. You don’t just look from your own side.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I wouldn’t mind a way to disable crafting on a char, now that it’s showing up on character select. Long ago, when leveling, I would frequently get a few levels on multiple crafting professions on a char, never intending to use these later. Now these chars have their main crafting profession showing and a bunch of other, low level crafting that I got a handful of levels on.

It looks messy.

Fortunately I have it memorized which char is my tailor and which is my huntsman and so on so for me it’s not a big deal but I would prefer that that’s all they show and not the other ones that were only used to gain a few levels and never used again.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Belzebu.3912

Good for you, you say its logical to spend gold to max the same crafts when I don’t need more ?

When I said that?
I only have 1 of each craft maxed, but they are spread among my toons, than crafting that is not maxed I swapped to scribe, that way only the maxed one will appear in my select screen.

I’m satisfied with having all the crafting at maximum. Not going waste gold on it anymore ^^

Same here. It would be a waste to max a craft 2 times, I don’t recommend that even for leveling.

I’m pretty sure a lot of people will agree with me. You don’t just look from your own side.

I also agree with you, I just trying to offer a solution that can be done now, instead of just keep wishing for a change from Anet.

I’d like to remove that scribe icon from my toons and only leave it on my rev, but for now that was what I did to not mix them.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Looking at my character select, I see I misrembered it. Each char only has 2 icons. The messy part I’m remembering is the list of all the crafting professions that char has accepted that shows up at mouse over. For example almost every level 80 I have has multiple crafting professions that show up on mouse over. It’s a minor problem but a way to deactivate them would remove that list of unused crafting professions. It might also be of use to people who have more than 2 maxed professions on one or more chars and also have multiple, non maxed professions on that char and other chars.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Deeb.7638

Looking at my character select, I see I misrembered it. Each char only has 2 icons. The messy part I’m remembering is the list of all the crafting professions that char has accepted that shows up at mouse over. For example almost every level 80 I have has multiple crafting professions that show up on mouse over. It’s a minor problem but a way to deactivate them would remove that list of unused crafting professions. It might also be of use to people who have more than 2 maxed professions on one or more chars and also have multiple, non maxed professions on that char and other chars.

Yeah exactly, it wasn’t issue in the past since I had fewer characters. Now that I got like 10 toons 1 each and some repeated for the looks. I picked up crafts on one than I decided to do it on another..

Would love an option to move certain crafts to another character. I don’t mind paying for it. That way I can make a good use from the 2 extra activated crafting.

Posted by: SteM.9820

SteM.9820

will love the removing craft as i was thinking jeweler craft will lets me to make my own ascended pieces,however as we know it isnt possible i would rather pick cooking and completely forget jewelcraft,in lord of the rings onlinesuch a kind can be done soft of,when you change crafting disciplines,you forget the parts of it which are missing in new one for example changing from yeoman (cooking,farming,tailoring) to for example woodsman (woodworker,forester,farmer) your farming experiences will be intact but you will lose your cooking and tailoring so even when you will chance right back to yeoman,your cooking and tailory will be like you never done it