retail store stopped getting copies of Guild Wars 2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SunRain.8972

SunRain.8972

My friend who bought the game endded have having to buy it online because the retails store here stopped getting copies of the game because of the state in the pass that Guild Wars 2 made that they want to ease up on the server.
Well they did it. but the price is i see now alot of maps empty completely empty and events dominate you when you solo, it really feels like i am alone on the map from time to time from the lack of response and how fast i end up getting back from overflow or to que in my server.

the population suddenly shrunk and it really is felt for example on my server – Gandara. I love the game but i feel now really alone a lot of times on maps and that i need to wait so long to get people for a dungeon if i cant find people from my Guild.

“From the place where we are right
Flowers will never grow
In the spring.” – Yehuda Amichai

SunRain.8972

Well after 1 month from the release , ppl would already get to higher lvl areas or join WvWvW + sPvP
U could try to tranfer to an other server , finding an other guild and combine the members from both guilds to form 5 man istances every time :P

thats really not a selution. and no, in WvWvW the que in my server is suddenly low.
it wasn’t that low and i don’t think my guild would move to another server. Migrating to another server just cosmetically solve the problem. While the server was really populated 4 3 weeks ago.

Flowers will never grow

Posted by: lorazcyk.8927

lorazcyk.8927

Game needs underflow servers ^^

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

When I go back on alts, things really seem empty in mid-level zones.

Kinda wish they’d do something innovative and get zones that aren’t specifically server/world based, to better manage population.

But I think population has nothing to do with the boxes (not) being on store shelves. And the supposed stopping of digital sales was a sham – they kept right on selling digital downloads thru the more common sellers (amazon bestbuy.com etc)

SunRain.8972

When I go back on alts, things really seem empty in mid-level zones.

Kinda wish they’d do something innovative and get zones that aren’t specifically server/world based, to better manage population.

either that or start sending copies again to retail stores. Because i know some people who want the game but don’t want to give CC information on the internet due to “over safety concern”

Flowers will never grow

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

Gandara’s still high population.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: DaedalusDragon.3754

DaedalusDragon.3754

Just goes to show you how many people have left or just don’t play much anymore. I felt like it was more populated in BWE 2 than it was on release… but I’m sure that isn’t true.

DusK.3849

It felt more populated in BWE’s for the same reason it felt more populated on release than it does now; everyone was in the starting zones.

We’re a month in. The players are spread out. It doesn’t change the fact that your server still has a high population.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

man i dont know what you people are talking about after 3:00 when people get home from work and school my sever is still plenty packed.

just lots of lowbes and 80’s mostly but still plenty in between

DaedalusDragon.3754

I’m on northern shiverpeaks and it always seems kinda empty no matter where I am. I have been all over the place recently and I never feel like I’m with a group.

Posted by: Swag.4923

Swag.4923

Today I spent some time wandering through lower level zones.

I saw as many bots as players (including bots that had been around—and reported often—for more than two weeks). I guess players are players.

SunRain.8972

then how come in dungeons that are high level its suddenly hard to find people to play with?
all around the clock including weekends.

Flowers will never grow

UnderdogSMO.9428

I’m on northern shiverpeaks and it always seems kinda empty no matter where I am. I have been all over the place recently and I never feel like I’m with a group.

I think this has more to do with people just being way more sprad out now, and less to Packs trying to rush to max

also the fact that its not that first 2 week rush we had. I mean people did take the first week off from work to play and such.

I play less than i did now only a few hours a day, but thats not because i dont enjoy the game, just that i have other responsibility and i know the game is going to be there when i get back.

DusK.3849

Maybe because people in your server don’t like playing dungeons? I know I’m staying away from ’em for now, what with the bugs the most recent update put in ’em and all.

UnderdogSMO.9428

then how come in dungeons that are high level its suddenly hard to find people to play with?
all around the clock including weekends.

People are falling into groups now Guilds and friends are the only people they do dungeons with

I know i only do them with my Guildys

and seeing that you can be in more than one guild there’s plent to go around

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

Sorry OP but you can’t even spell anything close to a 5th grade level. That makes your points easy to brush off.

After we muddle through what we think you saying, we find nothing but mindless rants and " Chicken Little" gloom and doom.

Sorry, SunRain, but if you had a valid point in the post, it was missed by all.

Posted by: ostracize.8316

ostracize.8316

A month into the game and you’re seeing the newbie zones less populated? Maybe because the majority of people have leveled out of the newbie zones. Newbie zones are jam packed for the first week, and it slowly tapers off from there.

Human zone is still significantly more populated than other races. My three characters are Charr, and I just remade two of them yesterday and today. I haven’t had any problems finding people to do the events with. It’s not the same as the Charr I rolled two weeks ago, when the newbies were still pouring in. There were 40 people trying to kill the five tar elementals that spawn every 3 minutes. It was insane.

But because I’m capable of logical thought, it makes perfect sense to see fewer people in the newbie zone, since there are fewer new characters being created. Go log into WoW a week before an expansion comes out and count the number of players in newbie zones. You’ll find it’s extremely low; does that mean the server is dead?

SunRain.8972

Sorry OP but you can’t even spell anything close to a 5th grade level. That makes your points easy to brush off.

After we muddle through what we think you saying, we find nothing but mindless rants and " Chicken Little" gloom and doom.

Sorry, SunRain, but if you had a valid point in the post, it was missed by all.

Just putting it out there,
if you can’t give a proper criticism without stating me or another person writes like a 5th grader. (which i am pretty sure i don’t because i don’t use the ur and u writing.) best is to save your comment because its an insult.

in short – population about zero in most maps, almost no overflow anymore &
asking Arena Net to send copies back to retail stores.

A month into the game and you’re seeing the newbie zones less populated? Maybe because the majority of people have leveled out of the newbie zones. Newbie zones are jam packed for the first week, and it slowly tapers off from there.

Human zone is still significantly more populated than other races. My three characters are Charr, and I just remade two of them yesterday and today. I haven’t had any problems finding people to do the events with. It’s not the same as the Charr I rolled two weeks ago, when the newbies were still pouring in. There were 40 people trying to kill the five tar elementals that spawn every 3 minutes. It was insane.

But because I’m capable of logical thought, it makes perfect sense to see fewer people in the newbie zone, since there are fewer new characters being created. Go log into WoW a week before an expansion comes out and count the number of players in newbie zones. You’ll find it’s extremely low; does that mean the server is dead?

i’m level 80, and i was today and past few days mostly in the zones near Orr’s area.

Flowers will never grow

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

imho, top reasons for this

1: curiosity about mists of pandaria (this won’t exist in a few weeks and is temporary)
2: hacking in wvwpvp, if the reason you play is wvwvw watching your orb fly out of a keep etc to ruin hours of work will make you ragequit even if not permanently
3: hacking and botting ingame, nothing more irritating than a ton of botters in pvp/pve ruining the game, it will be dealt with but many don’t wanna waste time waiting
4: dungeon tuning, and grind
5: lack of “endgame”
6: repair costs, waypoint costs and trading post outages
7 Diminishing returns on farming

Irony…. xD

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

I don’t see how retail copies means more players in the future. How many people will pick up an MMO and go through the process of registering and subscribing to a game based on a whim? Retail sales are a dieing market with digital distribution.

Posted by: Lysico.4906

Lysico.4906

OP read your first post..

That was not even close to being in English and understandable for the normal person.

All that said, move servers, or just don’t play.. There is no monthly sub here , so the rants and junk mean nothing..

Don’t like the game, move along.. What are going to do, take your sub with you?? Yeah, you can’t.. The whines get old.. ………. Fast, kiddo

Posted by: Porky.5021

Porky.5021

I just read a thread where someone was complaining about queue times for WvW.

Weird how that’s working out.

Overlord Of [NAKY]
SOS Spy Team Commander [SPY]

Posted by: Ebon.7641

Ebon.7641

not sure what you’re talking about, most servers are high and at least a quarter are full right now

(edited by Ebon.7641)

Posted by: Ebon.7641

Ebon.7641

imho, top reasons for this

1: curiosity about mists of pandaria (this won’t exist in a few weeks and is temporary)
2: hacking in wvwpvp, if the reason you play is wvwvw watching your orb fly out of a keep etc to ruin hours of work will make you ragequit even if not permanently
3: hacking and botting ingame, nothing more irritating than a ton of botters in pvp/pve ruining the game, it will be dealt with but many don’t wanna waste time waiting
4: dungeon tuning, and grind
5: lack of “endgame”
6: repair costs, waypoint costs and trading post outages
7 Diminishing returns on farming

Hopefully all of this is temporary. I’m betting it will be and there’ll be an influx of players again eventually

Even still, there’s tons of people buying the game every day. XFire numbers are only a very specific subset of the population

DaedalusDragon.3754

The server size has nothing to do with the number of players online at any given time. It is there to show the number of accounts attached to that server. If it was for each person online then people could move to the full ones when it got late and then the server would be brought down when there were too many people online at once later. And honestly, sure, we don’t have to keep playing and the population doesn’t matter without subscription fees, but say, for instance, that people have started to stop playing then it has a lot of repercussions in every aspect of the game.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Because i know some people who want the game but don’t want to give CC information on the internet due to “over safety concern”

But… the same could be said for in-store purchases. When you do it in-store, they have physical access to your card, meaning they have the ability to make an exact replica (for the ones with tags in them).

When you give your card out over the internet, it becomes a matter of is your computer safe and are they storing the card in their database. If you do it through PayPal, it just becomes is your computer safe.

When you use your card in-store, it becomes a matter of is this person stealing my information, which is as simple as making a print of the receipt, taking a picture/imprint or simply writing it down/memorizing it.

The more you know *

Posted by: Auron.2657

Auron.2657

Join Desolation, everyone knows were the best

Best Thief EU.
New Video Coming Soon.
youtube.com/AuronGW2

SunRain.8972

Because i know some people who want the game but don’t want to give CC information on the internet due to “over safety concern”

But… the same could be said for in-store purchases. When you do it in-store, they have physical access to your card, meaning they have the ability to make an exact replica (for the ones with tags in them).

When you give your card out over the internet, it becomes a matter of is your computer safe and are they storing the card in their database. If you do it through PayPal, it just becomes is your computer safe.

When you use your card in-store, it becomes a matter of is this person stealing my information, which is as simple as making a print of the receipt, taking a picture/imprint or simply writing it down/memorizing it.

The more you know *

can pay in cash.
but people feel safer when they pay someone in person(?).

Flowers will never grow

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

Join Desolation, everyone knows were the best

At lagging….

Irony…. xD

Posted by: pewblinkpew.5031

pewblinkpew.5031

server change to a high pop server

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

I don’t think a lot of people quit, I think they just moved to more populated servers.

The TP still seems as busy as ever.

Posted by: Zoridium JackL.7463

Zoridium JackL.7463

it’s just the population settling down, believe it or not but WoW numbers of subscribers are extremely uncommon (if not unheard of) in the real world, and it’s not surprising that the population isn’t as active as they were, not only will a fair amount have left (and will keep leaving as they “finish” the content, as they do with every MMO) but once people start reaching end game they rarely go back to earlier zones, instead gathering in wherever the most productive “end game” zone is.

nothing to worry about though, it happens with every MMO, it only seems quiet now because you don’t have any accurate indication of what noise to expect (and you probably won’t have any idea for a couple months).

Posted by: CrystalKnight.3619

CrystalKnight.3619

underflow servers = best idea ever.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

ArenaNet has already said in another thread that xfire statistics aren’t an accurate representation of actual game play for any game.

Also, I’m on Tarnished Coast. Over the last several days I’ve been running around the newbie zones harvesting and doing dynamic events. As usual, the server is quiet in the mornings and busy mid day through the night.

I do think that with free realm transfers the newest 2 servers are getting hit with population issues. People wait until their favorite server is no longer full and then jump ship. So it ends up looking like more of a problem than it is. The new medium pop servers end up being treated more like lobbies.

Once they end the free server transfers, you’ll see the server population on all the worlds begin to stabilize more. And that will also mean the medium pop servers will see a growth increase as the other servers become too full to play on.

Unless, of course, they raise the server pop caps again.

SunRain.8972

server change to a high pop server

again only cosmetically solves the issue.
i don’t the game in fact its the best game i played in a long game, i have no problems other then concerned about Anets tactics on populating a game without retail stores now.

Flowers will never grow

Posted by: Banjal.7328

Banjal.7328

As of 12:03 EST today.

US servers
8 are Full,the Rest are at High.

Yeah the game is dead time to find a new game to play.

Posted by: Athaulf.1530

Athaulf.1530

I love it how the Doomsayer horde just simply ignores a simple fact that Dusk has already poinnted out.. Op is a liar, Gandara is still a High populated server.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

I play on Gandara and see plenty of people except in the mornings.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

I was just levelling an engineer and a necromancer through Metrica Province. I was by myself all the time except two events. An entire map devoid of players. I don’t know what to make of this, it’s kind of sad. I could play in WoW in Elwynn Forest today and I know I’d find other players (even without an expansion and people levelling monks).

Maybe they should trash the servers idea and put everyone on “overflow maps” instead of having single server maps. It would be bad press but it would help out a lot when the game is meant to be played with other people. Unless I’m with one of the popular farms, I’m usually by myself. It feels like to play GW2 you have to bring your own people with you, no dungeon finder and now low map populations.

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

Where do you see these people? That is the real question.

I’m leveling on server that was full when I joined, but in most area’s I just fight mobs alone, get overflown, can’t do DE’s because they are impossible if not in a big group. And those big dudes that sometimes make the DE (like the giant in Nagething) get ignored after a few times because there simply is no reward for it.
People get there a few times, but after 2 or 3 times they don’t bother anymore since they had the thrill of the fight before and now there isn’t even that (subjective) reward.

Server population is a real problem for new players, believe me.
I don’t care how many 80’s there are iddling about in the towns, or how many guild groups happen to boost a leveling alt. If you don’t encounter that particular group in your area, you’re very often just stuck among spawning npc’s without much help to survive.

I really enjoy GW2 but from lvl 20 on it seems painstakingly clear I can’t enjoy much leveling on my own. Not on this server.

And how can ‘change server’ be an acceptible solution?
There is no guarantee that this will be better during leveling.
And what about other new players after me?

I think this game is the most innovative and refreshing MMO ever created. But a lot of the current decisions make no sense to me.
And a lot of the promises that drew me her (aside playing GW1 a while) simply aren’t fullfilled.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Kimbald.2697

As Shiren hinted at: many new players like us face the unavoidable truth that this game can’t be enjoyed alone, just because the servers aren’t lively enough where it matters: in the lower maps.

You have no idea what this can do to the future of a game.
I held of MoP for GW2 because I really think GW2 is far superior in game design, especially in ‘questing’ and leveling, and lively world events the DE’s.
but if I keep dying alone in area’s full of npc’s where i stand no chance just because I logg in without friends… I might not stick to it.
Despite it being the best game I’ve seen in many ways (even without many unfullfilled promises too…)

Posted by: Smackjack.5071

Smackjack.5071

Yeah same here. i make groups in the middle of the night on a weekday in 5 minutes and i see lots of people going around even when i go back to the starter areas. So if that is what i and others see happening you have to wonder for what reason some people try to claim that all areas are emtpy.

It is easily diss proven.

Posted by: Revenant.2691

Revenant.2691

I love how half of you are blatantly ignoring the fact that server populations in the login screen have nothing to do with how many people are online. That’s the number of accounts currently registered to that server. A server could have 1 person online and still be listed as full. Since there’s no subscription, anyone who’s ever logged in is going to be contributing to one of those server pops forever, as it stands currently, even if they haven’t logged in for a month.

Posted by: Gauradan.8361

Gauradan.8361

I love how half of you are blatantly ignoring the fact that server populations in the login screen have nothing to do with how many people are online. That’s the number of accounts currently registered to that server. A server could have 1 person online and still be listed as full. Since there’s no subscription, anyone who’s ever logged in is going to be contributing to one of those server pops forever, as it stands currently, even if they haven’t logged in for a month.

Ignorance is bliss. Either that or those who are saying the game is as lively as ever are selectively choosing arguments that support their points (not that there are many), while ignoring does that don’t. Besides, the mere fact that you can’t transfer to servers that are full and just sit in a queue waiting to get in, because the server capacity system doesn’t work like in WoW should suggest that. And they’re saying we’re stuck in the WoW ways.

Aed f’haeil moen Hirjeth taenverde.

Kimbald.2697

Yeah same here. i make groups in the middle of the night on a weekday in 5 minutes and i see lots of people going around even when i go back to the starter areas. So if that is what i and others see happening you have to wonder for what reason some people try to claim that all areas are emtpy.

It is easily diss proven.

you make it sound like we have a hidden agenda…
We’re stating what we experience.

Once you get out of the first map the population starts thinning out.

You haven’t ‘diss proven’ anything, you just state what you see.
We’re not trying to accomplish anything here you know, aside mentioning how it feels to level a new character at this point in the game.

I swapped server today, and it’s a bit better this evening than it was this afternoon on the previous server.
but fact remains this isn’t a very good state for the game, having to swap servers after a few days really feels like something is wrong.

Posted by: Tim.9850

Tim.9850

It could just be that people are a lot more spread out to other parts of the map also.

I still love the game even though I have had some complaints. It’s still far better than any of the other mmorpg games.

Kimbald.2697

It’s because I like the game that i want to be able to level in it
I picked this over panda’s, while I been in that other game since Vanilla…
So I must like GW2 more don’t you think?

But this doesn’t make it perfect.

I came here for a few reasons, aside liking the original GW a lot:

One of them was pvp profession balance. If this succeeded, than why are most pugs filled with mesmers and thiefs, and a few unkillable guardians?
Some profesions seem better ‘balanced’ than others…

Another was being able to roam around the world and still feel challenges when i’m max level. In WoW you oneshot everything if raid geared, no fun at all to go into the world.
But apparantly downscaling in GW2 isn’t working well enough and a geared lvl 80 faces no challenge at all in a lower zone either…

And yes: I wanted to be able to go out in the world alone and group with random people if I feel like it, and don’t… if i don’t feel like it.
The mechanics allow this perfectly, but server population issues seem to hinder this a lot.

I was excited about the new 5 man system where no set roles were used, and it was all going to be a challenge of wits and strategy and co-operation.
Sorry to read so many complaints about the dungeons being underwhelming as a whole…

I knew there was no end raids yet, but am looking forward to see what Anet has in store.

Posted by: Tim.9850

Tim.9850

I also don’t totally buy the excuse some claim that the server population displayed is only the number of people registered to that server. If that were true, the displayed status would not ever change.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

They are there, they’re just PvPing and farming very specific Orr events.

Posted by: Athaulf.1530

Athaulf.1530

The server population displayed is NOT the number of account´s on that server.
You could see that when Gw was released. It´s just another lie in this thread and I can only guess why some people keep posting lies..