returning player very overwhelmed

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ipaukil.9420

ipaukil.9420

I am returning to guild wars after a hiatus that started after I preordered hot. I am happy with the single 80 boost, but I haven’t started heart of thorns because I’m trying to get 8 more characters to 80. one is 71, from daily login boosts and the rest are 40 from birthday gifts. I really want to try the elite specs but 250 hp seems daunting after the hot difficulty complaints. I have issues with my hand-eye coordination so dodging those enemies is really hard. I don’t have fine motor skills.
I have owned gw1 since City of heroes was a thing and I have never really made it far in any MMO except Factions but I have to earn my hall rewards. I have never fully beaten a GW1 campaign but I came to it due to its casual nature. Earning the hall of monuments skins seems like too much with 50 minis including black moa and don’t get me started on GWAMM.
I would buy instaboosts on the gem store but I guarantee you people would complain if they were there.
What do I do?

Posted by: Sister Saxifrage.7361

Sister Saxifrage.7361

Well, what do you want out of the game? If you want to finish the stories and need help to get through them, you could use LFG or find a guild with people willing to group with you. 250 HP is easy if you keep an eye out for a “HP train” – many of them start in the first HoT zone and continue into the second.

If you need more practice with fighting, I honestly suggest going back and getting map completion in one of the starter zones. Easy enemies are good when you’re learning or relearning what your skills are and how to use them. Using boosters is fine for skipping levelling, but skipping levelling on a profession you’ve never played before is a great way to get overwhelmed fast. Take yourself back to basics and work up – maybe complete the personal storyline as a way to gradually ramp up mob difficulty?

Also? Be kind to yourself and play a pet class: MM necromancer or ranger. Pets help draw aggro off you, and they keep right on DPSing even when you get confused. Nothing as relaxing as a pet class for soloing.

Posted by: ipaukil.9420

ipaukil.9420

thanks! I’m doing story with elementalist now, I used to enjoy ranger pvp, and I play a Ranger/necro hybrid In GW1, might try necro after ranger. I’m familiar with wow hunters and locks, would that translate here?

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

I really want to try the elite specs but 250 hp seems daunting after the hot difficulty complaints.

HoT hero points award 10, not just 1, points per location, so it’s not that bad.

There are enough of those, and enough spare points in central tyria, that you can do this with just HoT communes in VB, which is not super-hard to achieve.

To the rest of your questions, I’d suggest … don’t kill yourself getting one of each class to 80. Just play what you enjoy, do stuff that is fun, instead.