second b-day gift

second b-day gift

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Svetli.4276

Svetli.4276

make it better !
do not make excuses just give something good !

“What you wish for may not be what she wishes for.” – Skull Knight

second b-day gift

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

It doesn’t have to be good… it just has to be UNIQUE to the birthday gift, and it just has to be useful or have some variance in drops like GW1 minis.

Giving “auto level 20 scrolls” to people after 12 months is just…. stupid, completely stupid, utterly stupid, and ridiculously stupid.

The scrolls drop from Achievement Chests as well.

I have 9 of those scrolls that I’m never going to use, and I have 9 characters at 80….

As long as they don’t give out a stupid and useless item like that again, I’ll be happy.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

second b-day gift

Svetli.4276

i will like fractal skin box
precursor box
or just plane legendary box THIS IS 2 years ! Jesus ! give us gems unique outfits or something O_O
ppl will not going to stop to play ! they will play harder to reach that level !

second b-day gift

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

precursor box
or just plane legendary box THIS IS 2 years ! Jesus ! give us gems unique outfits or something O_O
ppl will not going to stop to play ! they will play harder to reach that level !

“fractal skin box” mini

or

“precursor box” mini

second b-day gift

Svetli.4276

that will be another developer sick joke on us

second b-day gift

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

It doesn’t have to be good… it just has to be UNIQUE to the birthday gift,

/peers over glasses

You really expect them to make 4 million+ unique items?

second b-day gift

Posted by: Tychondus.4821

Tychondus.4821

i think the bday gift is fixed. 3 char hit their bday and all 3 got mini queen jennah. I mean seriously? 3? i cant even sell it.

second b-day gift

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

Will be exactly the same as year 1 gift except whit a Knut Whitebear mini instead.
Yay.

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

second b-day gift

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

i would find funny if we got ourselves as minis, the looks of the character from the moment of the birthday. not sure if its possible though

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

second b-day gift

Posted by: jokke.6239

jokke.6239

i would find funny if we got ourselves as minis, the looks of the character from the moment of the birthday. not sure if its possible though

LMAO
That would be so awesome

second b-day gift

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

LMAO
That would be so awesome

especially it is the apr 1st big head ver.

second b-day gift

Posted by: Realist.5812

Realist.5812

It doesn’t have to be good… it just has to be UNIQUE to the birthday gift

/peers over glasses

Read the bolded and underlined part.

Unique to the birthday gift.

As in, you can’t get it anywhere else in the game besides birthday gifts.

ALL IS VAIN.
PvP modes are the “endgame” in every MMO.
Stop failing at PvE, start fixing PvP/WvW. Thank you.

second b-day gift

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It doesn’t have to be good… it just has to be UNIQUE to the birthday gift

/peers over glasses

Read the bolded and underlined part.

Unique to the birthday gift.

As in, you can’t get it anywhere else in the game besides birthday gifts.

Pretty sure we couldn’t get Queen Jennah anywhere else, and you know how well that was received.

second b-day gift

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

The birthday boost was great, mini from the last year was fine, the lvl 20 scroll was … are you serious?

Anyway … if Anet keep the pattern of an unique mini, a good booster, but instead of a useless item an useful/fun one it would be great.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

second b-day gift

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

I used the lvl 20 scrolls

P.S. a mini.me would be awesome.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

second b-day gift

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

My only gripe about last year’s gift was that the only mini was Jenna. One of her was cool, 10 of her…. not so much.

I absolutely love the birthday boosters. (I’ll take these again anet, pretty please). They helped me level both the character and my wvw rank. Handy indeed.

I had no issue with the experience scrolls either. I’ve used every one that I’ve gotten. Admittedly, I don’t think I need any more of them now though…

So, my thoughts on this year’s gifts:

-Create a set of 12 or 15 minis, like was done in GW1. Let us get one of that set randomly from the gift. Do make these tradeable.

-Include the birthday booster again. Even if people don’t have characters that need the experience anymore, the 100% bonus to karma, magic find, gold, and wvw rank is still very enjoyable. Not to mention, it stacks with other boosters.

-Not sure what to ask for as the third component. Lot of things I would like, but probably not advisable. Maybe a scroll that grants 5 levels to any non 80 character? A small bag of dungeon tokens? A random weapon ticket? An ascended weapon box maybe? Not asking for a precursor or anything here, but something useful would be appreciated.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

second b-day gift

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

My only gripe about last year’s gift was that the only mini was Jenna. One of her was cool, 10 of her…. not so much.

I absolutely love the birthday boosters. (I’ll take these again anet, pretty please). They helped me level both the character and my wvw rank. Handy indeed.

I had no issue with the experience scrolls either. I’ve used every one that I’ve gotten. Admittedly, I don’t think I need any more of them now though…

-Create a set of 12 or 15 minis, like was done in GW1. Let us get one of that set randomly from the gift. Do make these tradeable.

-Include the birthday booster again. Even if people don’t have characters that need the experience anymore, the 100% bonus to karma, magic find, gold, and wvw rank is still very enjoyable. Not to mention, it stacks with other boosters.

-Not sure what to ask for as the third component. Lot of things I would like, but probably not advisable. Maybe a scroll that grants 5 levels to any non 80 character? A small bag of dungeon tokens? A random weapon ticket? An ascended weapon box maybe? Not asking for a precursor or anything here, but something useful would be appreciated.

I like these suggestions, Lanfear, I’m all for thought-out and useful gifts. My only thought is that I don’t think the minis should be tradeable, because then you’ll have people selling them to players who aren’t 2 years old, which seems contrary to the point of giving exclusive birthday gifts. Instead, maybe let players choose which mini they would like from the set, sort of like you get to choose which Zenith weapon you want from each achievement chest.

Some will still complain that they will need 10 2-year-old toons in order to collect the whole set, but I guess you can’t please everyone.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

second b-day gift

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I like these suggestions, Lanfear, I’m all for thought-out and useful gifts. My only thought is that I don’t think the minis should be tradeable, because then you’ll have people selling them to players who aren’t 2 years old, which seems contrary to the point of giving exclusive birthday gifts. Instead, maybe let players choose which mini they would like from the set, sort of like you get to choose which Zenith weapon you want from each achievement chest.

Some will still complain that they will need 10 2-year-old toons in order to collect the whole set, but I guess you can’t please everyone.

See, I don’t have any issue with people selling these to other players. To me, minis are just a collectible thing, and in GW1 all minis were tradeable. I’ve always felt that all mini’s should be tradeable in GW2 as well.

Some people don’t care about them, and just don’t want them. It should be their option to sell them to someone that does want them at that point. (As opposed to just trashing them, or letting them rot in their collections tab, which sort of makes them a waste of development resources) This would also help alleviate some of that issue that you bring up – having to have ‘x’ number of characters to get them all.

Although, technically, since they would likely be random, even having ‘x’ number of chars wouldn’t guarantee that you got each and every one. You could get a duplicate of a one or two. (Anyone remember getting 2 or even 3 of the same white mini in GW1? lol) Allowing them to be traded ensures that you can eventually get the whole set, to appease those collectors.

second b-day gift

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

As, someone who doesn’t give two flips about minis, I don’t personally disagree with you, but I would still sympathize with an argument that 2nd birthday minis shouldn’t be for newcomers.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

second b-day gift

LanfearShadowflame.3189

As, someone who doesn’t give two flips about minis, I don’t personally disagree with you, but I would still sympathize with an argument that 2nd birthday minis shouldn’t be for newcomers.

I could sort of sympathize with that argument, but not whole heartedly. Considering what new 2nd year minis would likely sell for, the majority of new comers probably wouldn’t be able to afford them. Unless they did the cash to gems to gold thing, or devoted hours to farming dungeon paths. At which point, well… they can do the exact same thing for a legendary… why not a mini?

second b-day gift

Posted by: Kibazuka.1390

Kibazuka.1390

Im all for a set of, say, 10 minis but dont make them like in gw1. Give them the same rarity. Like every Mini exactly 10%. There would still be some price difference depending on what people like the most but not an unreasonable big gap

Ranger – Drakkar Lake[DE]
Full melee Ranger since August 2012

second b-day gift

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Do you guys ever go to your parents and friends and demand a ‘better’ birthday gift?

What is with this sense of entitlement? Just be happy you get anything..

second b-day gift

Svetli.4276

yes i do
“if you give me crap i will kill you”
you can say that only to your best friends

second b-day gift

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

yes i do
“if you give me crap i will kill you”
you can say that only to your best friends

Haha.

As for what I’d like… I’d really love a few tomes of knowledge and some skill scrolls. Definitely the birthday booster though that was awesome. (For 2 years maybe have it 48 hours or just get 2 of them?)

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

second b-day gift

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Do you guys ever go to your parents and friends and demand a ‘better’ birthday gift?

What is with this sense of entitlement? Just be happy you get anything..

I wasn’t demanding. I was asking, and making suggestions if they opt to continue with birthday gifts. Sort of assuming they will, considering… but, could always change. Which is ok too.

And yes, I regularly go to my husband and make suggestions for what he should get me for my birthday… and mother’s day…. and our anniversary. If I don’t, he gets kittened off at me. I tried telling him one year I didn’t want anything, wooooo boy did that cause issues. Never again, let me tell you!

Edit: if only I could type today…

second b-day gift

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

ideas, ideas, ideas..

1. How about a little something that is permanent in your home instance? A new node (not more ore nodes) maybe something like an apple tree (saves on karma) or some other account bound food ingredient. A herb garden?
2. Special set of permanent finishers.
3. Soulbound Total makeover kit. I include this because it makes sense that as your character progresses, s/he ages and it’d be kinda interesting to be able to “age” your character over time
4. Definitely a new set of minis. Having 1 Queen Jenna is ok, anything more than that is silly.
5. Just for novelty’s sake, a special effect when a character opens their birthday gift in town. Like a huge fireworks display or something. You want this to be more communal? nothing more communal than being wished a happy birthday.
6. A random weapon skin box that gifts a skin from the Black Lion merchant, account bound of course.

second b-day gift

LanfearShadowflame.3189

ideas, ideas, ideas..
5. Just for novelty’s sake, a special effect when a character opens their birthday gift in town. Like a huge fireworks display or something. You want this to be more communal? nothing more communal than being wished a happy birthday.

Maybe have those fireworks form a number 2, so everyone knows how old you are. (Should make this work on ‘new’ 1 year old presents to, only it would say ‘1’ instead of ‘2’ obviously).

Yes, I’m insane.

second b-day gift

Azrael.4960

ideas, ideas, ideas..

Maybe have those fireworks form a number 2, so everyone knows how old you are. (Should make this work on ‘new’ 1 year old presents to, only it would say ‘1’ instead of ‘2’ obviously).

Yes, I’m insane.

A special birthday banquet and resultant food fight!

second b-day gift

LanfearShadowflame.3189

ideas, ideas, ideas..

Yes, I’m insane.

A special birthday banquet and resultant food fight!

Oh gods… I just had a mental image of Trahearne popping out of a birthday cake. I think I’m scarred for life….

second b-day gift

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

ideas, ideas, ideas..

2. Special set of permanent finishers.

A GIANT Birthday cake with a #2 candle on the top.

And when it hits the ground icing splatters all over

(edited by khani.4786)

second b-day gift

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I would love permanent finishers….if we continue to have mobs to kill in PvE that require finishing.

Anything that is random, such as minis were in GW1. The thrill of opening the present to see what you get is the best part.

second b-day gift

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

precursor box

Play harder? You’re saying this like you have to work to have created a character two years ago. No effort went into this. No work was done. Hell, you don’t even have to have ever played that character, just made it.

Why should you get a hugely valuable reward for having done something a long time ago. You get remembered, not rewarded.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

second b-day gift

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Simply implement the gw1 system where 1st yr bdays got a random mini from the 1st year list. 2nd year gets a random one from 2nd yr and so on….

Also the instant level 20 scrolls should instead be changed to a +20 level scrolls that instantly give you 20 additional levels regardless of your current level. Ofc the only exception to this will be that u cannot cross lvl 80 and additional levels will only be awarded as skill points.

To add to this:
Birthday Booster
Full – Make over kit
1 – Rare Dye kit (Can contain any rare or higher quality dye)

Lets hope its not a repeat of last year.

second b-day gift

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I’d be happy if they gave me a bag of Obsidian shards and clovers for the next birthday.
I tend to value things that are useful or can be sold.
One Queen Jennah mini was fine, multiples were not. Unless we have a Mystic Forge recipe I’m unaware of that can use them!
Multiple lvl 20 scrolls and birthday boosters were useful to me, because I am an altaholic.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

second b-day gift

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

World peace and Tiny Tim finally getting that surgery would be good.

(edited by Yargesh.4965)

second b-day gift

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

A little package with 3 of each T6 fine mat and 100g please

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

second b-day gift

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

Mini trahearne.

With voice acting.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

second b-day gift

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Mini trahearne.

With voice acting.

So I could delete and feel good?

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

second b-day gift

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

It doesn’t have to be something really special, just not the same for each character.
Looking at you, Queen Jennah mini.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

second b-day gift

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

If they do only give one mini for the birthday, I would prefer it to be one per account. I have 12 of those things and 12 identical minis are 11 too many.

Maybe make it the account’s birthday present instead of the character’s if it’s too hard to program otherwise.

second b-day gift

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

I would like a gw1 style bday gift, but I’m not that hopeful that it’ll be much better than last year.

second b-day gift

Posted by: Ronah Lynda.2496

Ronah Lynda.2496

I would like a mount specific for the race of the character who has a birthday.

It will be a cosmetic mount with no speed advantage and this could set up a trend of getting mounts only through the birthdays like in GW1 the minis were obtained only in that way (not counting the trading)
The mounts would be an unique birthday gift which cant be purchased through other means

second b-day gift

Azrael.4960

I would like a mount specific for the race of the character who has a birthday.

It will be a cosmetic mount with no speed advantage and this could set up a trend of getting mounts only through the birthdays like in GW1 the minis were obtained only in that way (not counting the trading)
The mounts would be an unique birthday gift which cant be purchased through other means

At this moment, the image of Batman slapping Robin comes to mind, with him saying STAHP WITH THE MOUNTS.

second b-day gift

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

One Queen Jennah mini was fine, multiples were not. Unless we have a Mystic Forge recipe I’m unaware of that can use them!

Put a Mini Queen Jenna in with a Mini Logan Thackery and you’ll get a Mini Dead Snaff.

>.>
<.<

second b-day gift

Posted by: Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

Thorfinnr Sleggja.1209

I have to go along here…various options:

1. Birthday Booster…can always use these even after lvl 80.
2. Level 20 Scroll, but have ability to double click it to turn into 20x+1 Level scrolls. (Or 10x +1 Level Scrolls…either way works)
3. A Mini is fine…1 per toon is a bit much…but hey, maybe by year 5 there will be some crazy Mystic Forge recipe for ONLY the Birthday Minis to be used in…maybe? Perhaps a “Ticket” for one mini from the Regular Series(not ones you bought from Gem Store), and make it Account Bound on Acquire.
4. An ACCOUNT bound BL Weapon Ticket. So you can get any 1 BL Weapon you like, and the one you choose is Account Bound on Acquire, so no crazy TP stuff happens.
5. A T6 Mat Box. Random T6 Mats, maybe 3 diff ones, and let it give 50 each. If that’s too much, maybe 20 each or something.
6. GEMs…I dunno…say 400?

Just some thoughts…very similar to ideas already shared…but with a little more detail…:)

I do because I can
I can because I want to
I want to because you said I couldn’t

second b-day gift

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

Don’t worry, you’ll get the same mini pet as every one else and each of your characters and also another experience scroll because hey, if you didn’t use the first 8, getting 8 more can’t hurt.

But, there will be new and exciting stuff in the gem shop that day !

second b-day gift

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I would like a mount specific for the race of the character who has a birthday. …

At this moment, the image of Batman slapping Robin comes to mind, with him saying STAHP WITH THE MOUNTS.

You’re welcome

EDIT: A solution to the duplicated minis, is make it able to be used in the Mystic Forge, I would be fine with that.

Attachments:

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

second b-day gift

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I would like a mount specific for the race of the character who has a birthday. …

You’re welcome

<3

second b-day gift

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Put a Mini Queen Jenna in with a Mini Logan Thackery and you’ll get a Mini Dead Snaff.

>.>
<.<

I’m only interested if Mini Dead Snaff can swim

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

second b-day gift

LanfearShadowflame.3189

>.>
<.<

I’m only interested if Mini Dead Snaff can swim

Does floating, face down across the surface count as swimming?