server Transfers no longer free? Whats next?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MorceluLebeau.5109

MorceluLebeau.5109

Was reading the blog and now they wish to make you pay for a server transfer?? Why..only a excuse to get more money from the player base, whats next a subscription to post on the forums..this game has quickly turned into a Much more costly game than when it was pre-purchased.

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

Woo thank goodness i made it to tarnished coast and yesterday too luckily.

Posted by: TheComet.6471

TheComet.6471

given that they also brought up guesting, the only area this affects really is wvw.

stop bandwagon jumping if it’s really that much of a problem to you.

Kaineng – Co-Leader of Skrittical Hits
Sybol – Healing Bunker Charr Mesmer (80)
Dresdon Honorclaw – Zerk All-Ranged Charr Warrior | Hawke Fullmoon – Melee Ranger

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Server transfers were meant to cost money from the beginning, but because the guesting feature wasn’t ready yet, server transfers were free. So basically, we knew this was coming sooner or later.

Personally, I much prefer the guesting system over free server transfers anyway.

Posted by: Toxyn.9608

Toxyn.9608

You can view it as a money grab. I view it as a move to make players commit to a server and become part of its community instead of server hopping.

People will of course bring up the issue about being stuck on a low-pop server.

“The fatal flaw in every plan is the assumption that you know more than your enemy.”

Antonius Duarte – Elementalist – Kaineng

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

free server transfers have been ruining WvW since release. this has been a long requested feature by just about everyone.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

They’re still free now, so if you’ve got some place in mind and it’s often full, make the extra effort to try to transfer over more often until you succeed.

The free transfers were always intended to be temporary. Most of us were expecting them to go away within weeks of release.

Posted by: pencapchew.5432

pencapchew.5432

They had always planned to charge for a transfer, guesting is having issues so they made transfers free.

So now they are going back and re introducing what they wanted to do all along. I am very happy about this. Its sad to see guilds leaving a server because its a “losing” server. Instead of sticking around and trying to make it a winning server they take off and try to take the easiest route.

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

This was originally intended to be part of the game.

The transfers are only free because they couldn’t get guesting working. So now they’re confident they can get guesting started. It’s good news to those who are already on the server they way, and bad news to people who are trying to change servers, but it won’t be coming for a while so everyone’s got a chance to move.

Being stuck on a low pop server is what you make of it – I was on Henge of Denravi for a long time, and it was still a fun game. I had to work a little harder to find people to play with, but it wasn’t that bad. I knew people there better than I do on TC. I know the HoD leaders started organizing an Area of the Day for the server shortly before I left and were doing other things to get people playing together. Also, we almost never had lag. Playing on a low pop server has downsides and upsides.

Posted by: Azurae.9108

Azurae.9108

This was always going to be a feature the Free transfers were a bonus for the community so they can all get on the right server to play with friends. People have had months to transfer entire guilds, if your just joining the game to play with friends you should already know what server your going to play on. I can not wait for the Guesting because I have friends in different circles that play on different servers and it will be cool to finally play in the open world areas with them (through guesting).

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

This is the way it was supposed to be from launch. Glad it’s finally happening.

[SFD] – Maguuma

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

I am definitely happy that the guesting-system will come along with this. The only reason for me to change server would have been that I want to play with friends from other servers but with the 7 days waiting time I never did because that would have left me stuck on one server for that time even if I wanted to change only for one evening or so. If it comes along with a transfer-fee for actual servertransfer I don’t mind at the moment.

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

Transfers would have cost money from day 1 if they would have taken the money grab approach. They always said trasnfers would cost eventually when they get the guesting working , so no conspiracy there.

And the op has quit the game as he says in his post history already so this doesn’t affect you anyways

All is vain.

Posted by: gebrechen.5643

gebrechen.5643

Finally. I’m on the same server since 4 month and it was really annoying getting queue in wuvwuv because of some guilds and their fanbase constantly coming and leaving.

But I still hope guesting works between EU and US. Hope someone of Anet will answer that.

Some people die on epidemic, other have skill.
- great warlord Waha of Sea 2981bc

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

That’s weird cuz in WoW it was expensive to switch server.

And then GW2 came and made instant unlimited free tranfers… My point is, it proves that it cost them nothing to do this and it’s a shame to make us pay for it.

Posted by: Renn.8241

Renn.8241

Was reading the blog and now they wish to make you pay for a server transfer?? Why..only a excuse to get more money from the player base, whats next a subscription to post on the forums..this game has quickly turned into a Much more costly game than when it was pre-purchased.

They always planned to do this, GW will never have a subscription fee therefore they have to make money in other ways. Thing is its your CHOICE to server change, and making it harder to do so, by including a cost fee, means it will balance the servers out in population and WvW. Instead, as already mention, people going to tier 1 servers because they are sore losers. Losing is apart of learning to win.

The player is required to pay nothing more than the game its all players CHOICE to get the server change or gem store, which I might mention everything in the Gem store can be gained using INGAME GOLD.

~Renn~ Jade Quarry – Norn, – Ranger.

Posted by: IHatePugs.3671

IHatePugs.3671

Yeah the free server transfers are kind of dumb anyways the fact that people can hop all over the place is non-sense + They have to make some money some where the initial $60 for the game isn’t going to last them for forever with all the new stuff there laying out there for us.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

Server transfers were always intended to go to the Gem Store, and clearly expressed as such from the beginning. Just as clearly, they explained that they were only allowing free server transfers for the first few months of the game until populations settled. At no point was it suggested that free server transfers would be a permanent part of your initial box purchase, and again, they clearly stated the precise opposite whenever asked. You have no one to blame for your ignorance but yourself.

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Posted by: Kain.9127

Kain.9127

free server transfers have been ruining WvW since release. this has been a long requested feature by just about everyone.

This. I don’t see why it wasn’t this way to start with.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I believe that attaching a cost, which everyone said was coming, is a useful tool in community building. I was very happy to see the living/open world emphasis and more stable populations will help the sense of community. At the same time, a populated server, at the present moment, is a critical aspect of a positive game experience. I hope they’re working just as hard on that issue and trust that they are. Don’t know when this is to be implemented, but If your server is lacking, I would focus on getting to a ‘full’ server while it’s still free—thankfully I made it when they opened them all up around Wintersday. Best wishes to those still trying.

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

As far as I’m aware, this was always planned. The only reason server transfers were free to begin with was because guesting had not come out yet.

Now, if they release paid transfers BEFORE guesting I’ll be standing with my torch and pitchfork right next to you!

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Server transfers were always intended to go to the Gem Store, and clearly expressed as such from the beginning. Just as clearly, they explained that they were only allowing free server transfers for the first few months of the game until populations settled. At no point was it suggested that free server transfers would be a permanent part of your initial box purchase, and again, they clearly stated the precise opposite whenever asked. You have no one to blame for your ignorance but yourself.

Actually if the OP pre-purchased then they should have been expecting to pay for transfers from day 1 because that was the plan at the time pre-purchase was launced. It was only during the betas that it became apparent there could be issues with this and fairly close to release that they announced that transfers would be free and unlimited at first to allow people to find a server they liked.

I’m not sure what all the issues were but I know a lot of people (myself included, which is why I remember it) picked a server at random thinking it didn’t matter and found themselves on one where very few people spoke their language, even if that language is English. (In my case I ended up on the unofficial Russian server.)

At the time I was extremely vocal about the need to give players an alternative to picking a server based on no information and then having to pay to try again, which would effectively be a gamble since there was no way to know what you’d get on any server.

IMO they could still do more to help with that (like labelling the unofficial RP servers and acknowledging the servers for unsupported languages or designating an Oceanic server, even if it’s actually in the US) but the problem is a lot smaller than it used to be. The majority of players have had time to find a server and since populations have stabalised newcomers have a better chance of finding out what they’ll get on any given server without having to resort to paying for trial and error.

And then GW2 came and made instant unlimited free tranfers… My point is, it proves that it cost them nothing to do this and it’s a shame to make us pay for it.

I can’t comment on why WoW does it but as far as I understand in GW2 the main aim is to encourage people to stay on one server and form a solid community, as well as prevent server hoping issues in WvW. To do that they need to give people an incentive to not keep moving, making it profitable for them is a bonus.

I do wonder how much it’ll cost though. It’s probably difficult to strike a balance because if they put it too high it could discourage innocent players who just want to find the best server for them, but if it’s too low it won’t discourage people from server hopping to take advantage of WvW (or to cripple their opponents). I would guess the fact that they’re also keeping the limit on how often you can transfer means they’re leaning towards making it cheap and using that to restrict WvW issues.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: AnemoneMeer.7182

AnemoneMeer.7182

Makes people loyal to their server for WvW, and guesting is FINALLY being added. I see this as a win/win.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Good. Its about time. Was always supposed to be that way. Make it 25 bucks to transfer…that sound fair?

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I do wonder how much it’ll cost though.

Last I looked, if you purchased gems with cash it was about $20 to transfer to a High pop server, $12 to go to a Medium and $8 to go to a Low pop server.

That includes all of your characters since your account is server bound.

Posted by: lagrangeify.5641

lagrangeify.5641

I’m really glad about it, long overdue. I’ve done my fair share of server hopping but it hasn’t worked in my favour being a rolling stone.

Is guesting in yet?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I do wonder how much it’ll cost though.

Last I looked, if you purchased gems with cash it was about $20 to transfer to a High pop server, $12 to go to a Medium and $8 to go to a Low pop server.

That includes all of your characters since your account is server bound.

Last you looked? As far as I’m aware proposed costs were only mentioned once, in a blog post around the time pre-purchase started. A lot has changed since then and considering the’ve put paid transfers on hold completely and tweaked the free transfer system in the meantime it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re re-working the costs as well.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Iyeru.5240

Iyeru.5240

I’m glad server transfers are going paid. It’s a bit silly that it’s currently free.

* (A strange light fills the room. Twilight is shining ahead. You’re filled with, DETERMINATION.)

Posted by: rickets.1386

rickets.1386

this was always the plan, they were free and unrestricted right away to balance servers then they went to once per week and now they are going to paid. Always been the plan, they have been open about it the whole time, not sure what you’re mad about.

rickets 80 elementalist
crickits 80 ranger
crickets 80 warrior – current main

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

This has been known to be coming since before the game was released, this isn’t any new information at all. The Guesting system wasn’t ready yet, so they didn’t feel it was right to charge for server transfers before the Guesting system was ready. But like said, this was known to be happening before the game was even released.

Posted by: Taywena.3915

Taywena.3915

For a game with no monthly subscription, I think it’s hardly a complaining matter if they charge a server transfer fee. Unless of course that fee is excessive. Most games I’ve played in the past charged a monthly subscription, AND charged you to transfer servers. People will complain about anything these days.

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

ORIGINALLY server transfer would YES require a 2,000gems fee, just stop please.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Nottix.7864

Nottix.7864

Like others have stated, it was the original intent of the game. Gem transfers, and guesting. The guesting was broken at launch, so they made free transfers to allow people to play with their friends. Shouldn’t be a surprise that they are changing it to what it was suppose to be all this time.

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Server transfers in an MMO usually cost WAY MORE.

ANet only allowed server transfers because guesting isn’t available and they wanted to give players time to coordinate with friends and get on the same server to play together.

This isn’t an excuse to make profit. They were being generous and stopped.
You’re the one making excuses in hopes of getting a feature to stay free.

Actually, it costed them engineer man-hours to write the code and do the tech, which is expensive. And they are expected to make a profit.
If you make something that very few others can make, do you just give it away by the bucket load when you have a livelihood to think about? No.
Smart people charge a fee and license it out for use.

So, it’s not a shame. It’s fair.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

(edited by DreamOfACure.4382)

Posted by: Palinore.9204

Palinore.9204

To complain about prices when Anet gives u something no other mmo truly does is ignorant. They invest time, money, and hard work for this and u accuse them of grabbing money from us? They deserve it. Who and what have you done to be special that you shouldn’t pay for their service?

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

Sorry if ive missed it but when can we expect the server transfer price to be implemented? Wondering if I have time to try out a server before its brought in.

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

To complain about prices when Anet gives u something no other mmo truly does is ignorant. They invest time, money, and hard work for this and u accuse them of grabbing money from us? They deserve it. Who and what have you done to be special that you shouldn’t pay for their service?

What is that grind? or 0 open world loot vs $ dungeons?
I am sorry but the game I prepurchased died Nov 15. If they ever decide that want my money they will have to earn it. They havent done so so far. In fact I would say that I really wasnt wanted as a player. Why do they deserve anything? I reward people based on performance and expectations. Anet hasnt lived up to their prepurchase promises.
Therefore they receive no further financial support from me.

As to the end of the transfers it is about time. This will only help stabilize WvW and proper populations. Stop the bandwagoning and jumping ship. Considering it was expected to stop a few days after launch I say that it has gone on entirely too long and cost a lot more in player participation and retention then most people will admit.

If you have friends guesting should be implemented by then and if not join them as it is still free to transfer. Or farm gold and hope they let you use gems for the transfer and you dont have to spend real life money.

(edited by Narkosys.5173)

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

This is actually something I don’t mind. It’s not great news as it means some of my friends are forever isolated from me….but most of ’em no longer play anyways, so tough luck. :p

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

As long as it is introduced at the same time as guesting (which it is going to be) then their is nothing wrong with this, unless you are one of those band wagon jumpers always trying to get a free ride in WvWvW.

Posted by: Meia.6907

Meia.6907

Anyone knows if the guesting from EU to NA and NA to EU was available in the beta? Anyone knows if it will be available in the future? Coz I really do not care about the WvW I just wanna play with my friends in both NA and EU and this announcement is kinda leaving me clueless of what will happen =x

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

i remember when the server transfers were instant, people jumping ship not only a cause of wvw, it was mainly for farm nodes, that definately was an exploit

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: ZombiesTT.3619

ZombiesTT.3619

Server transfers should have never been free. It ruins WvW

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

I don’t know what the OP is talking about I just transferred my toon back to my main server for free, and yes free server transfers are ruining WvW but unless they make guesting available it is a necessary evil for now at least. Server hopping and the works, there is no server pride at all !

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

It is a WvW thing. Server jumping ruins the game. Using in game gold is possible, you just have to buy gems with gold. Its the same thing if they were to give the gold option, it would need to be the same price to match exchange, otherwise one way would be cheaper.

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

Honestly I support this. Server switching was getting annoying. Main WvW guilds would just leave entire servers, leaving this huge power vacuum in there that they couldn’t fill. SO being in the top ranks they would get decimated. You can still guest, so best i can do is offer you some cheese with that whine.

Posted by: Schixeno.8596

Schixeno.8596

Server transfers should have never been free. It ruins WvW

Not only that, it might kill server communities. That’s one of the reasons for people that had quit WoW

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Guesting >>>>>> free server transfers.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

i hope its expensive!

what is next? maybe they fix skills/traits? and then they may go crazy and actually create new pvp modes!!!

(edited by PetricaKerempuh.7958)

Posted by: Daendur.2357

Daendur.2357

This is a good news. We had enough time to chose a server, now it’s time to play.

Black Thunders [BT] – Gandara

Posted by: Skugga.5298

Skugga.5298

You can still play without paying,…
Nobody demands that you buy things from the shop, nobody sais you need to swich servers every 7 days….

No need to pay anyting.