server Transfers no longer free? Whats next?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: wildcode.5403

wildcode.5403

According to wiki, the cost will range from 500 gems to 1800 gems depending on the population of the server you are transferring to.

Source:
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Servers
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Talk:Gem_Store

This means at the current gold -> gem rates you would need roughly (i don’t have enough gold to check so using the price for 100 gems)
Low pop: 8.3 gold
Med pop: 16.6 gold
High pop: 29.88 gold

Not too costly, but for those who solely WvW they probably wont make enough money to transfer without doing some PVE, gathering, market play, etc.

I would also like to note that if the wiki information is correct, guests would not be able to participate in WvW.

(edited by wildcode.5403)

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

If you’re a horrible server, get ready to jump ship before it is too late!

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Posted by: Zorada.9457

Zorada.9457

When is this comming in because i dont wanna get stuck on my low pop server with nothing to do with others forever.

Anet does not plan to do anything about leveling out the server populations so to be on a low pop server means for most not playing much at all id say which is a shame.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

You can go to a higher populated server through the guesting system if your server is actually that low populated. You only can’t play WvW on that server. That’s how I understand it.

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I would like to know when this is being introduced.

I want to transfer to a higher populated server, mine is dead as a doorstop.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

That’s weird cuz in WoW it was expensive to switch server.

And then GW2 came and made instant unlimited free tranfers… My point is, it proves that it cost them nothing to do this and it’s a shame to make us pay for it.

That’s just bad reasoning.

It doesn’t prove at all that it cost them nothing to do this. The guesting feature wasn’t working and they didn’t want to charge people for their failure to deliver it. That doesn’t mean it was free of cost to them. It just means it made business sense not to charge customers for something when it’s not fair to do so.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

I would like to know when this is being introduced.

I want to transfer to a higher populated server, mine is dead as a doorstop.

So why don’t you do it right now? Looks like people are panicing somehow. I don’t know you could change all the time and somehow many did not seem to bother but just they mentioned it you get alarmed and run away. strange…

Posted by: Shadestrike.4372

Shadestrike.4372

This is how it was supposed to be from launch, but it was delayed.
Your complaining does nothing.
/thread

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

Was reading the blog and now they wish to make you pay for a server transfer?? Why..only a excuse to get more money from the player base, whats next a subscription to post on the forums..this game has quickly turned into a Much more costly game than when it was pre-purchased.

The server transfers were never gonna be free to begin with. How is it you didn’t know this? It was stated before launch that it will cost 1800 gems to transfer and that the limit of transfer is 7 days before you could transfer again.. They left it free for a while so everyone could get placed on the servers they want to be on. So stop acting as if this news is new, it’s not.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: Blackwolfe.5649

Blackwolfe.5649

This should have been implemented much earlier to be honest. That would have stopped some of the kitten bandwagoning that has been going on.

Server transfers were really never intended to be free.

Colin Johansen casts – Working As Intended
Colin Johansen hits you for 239407889 damage
Game over

Posted by: Paradox.5498

Paradox.5498

Server transfers should only be free for new accounts, for a short while (like 2 weeks). A grace period to allow new players to decide if they made the right server choice. After that, make up your mind. Don’t abuse server transfers to get on the winning side of WvW, you can’t win all the time.

Posted by: OnoGhost.6019

OnoGhost.6019

I wish this company would quit taking steps backwards. It seems like they are only interested in exclusiveness and limiting players to their perspective of how the game should be played. It would be nice if they could be more inclusive. Why is it so difficult to offer players more?

Posted by: Reaver.9256

Reaver.9256

About time they start charging for this. Finally these wvw server hoppers will have to choose a side and learn a little loyalty. Please stay away from stormbluff though we don’t need the gutless.

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

A gem cost to transfer to a different World has always been the plan, and this has been communicated since before the game launched. The ability to transfer for free always been a temporary situation. During the beta phase of the game, we actually had a gem charge in place for transferring during the beta events.

The cost to transfer to a different world will start when guesting is available, as mentioned in today’s blog post.

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra