shadow behemoth, you're scary but weak

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Phenix Flyer.6724

Phenix Flyer.6724

I think it’s time SB got buffed, it seems to burn down a lot quicker than similar level bosses. This is a nightmare creature from the underworld but goes down it less time than it takes most players to WP and run there.

~ Sylvari Ranger, [BGW] Jade Quarry ~
“I blame Kormir”

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I know- the first time Shadow Behemoth spawned on top of me when I was level 9, I almost has a heart attack.

the other day 2 of us killed him.

It is just sad- he is such an awesome looking boss but his bark is so much worse than his bite

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

Well as it’s the first world boss a lot of people encounter, it shouldn’t be buffed that much. And hey, atleast it’s a lot better than it was in beta.

A lot of world bosses need a buff before the SB really. the claw and the shatterer could use a big buff but really they need to buff all the world bosses at the same time if they buff any of them. If they buffed the claw and didn’t buff any of the others, suddenly people just wouldn’t do the claw anymore.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Ah well, I’m sure they could change it somehow so it can only be taken down on a few servers on a weekly basis. Give it time.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

SB, FE and jungle wurm (not the three headed one) are all introductory world bosses making them tequatl level would be silly and unneeded.

Giving SB a bigger hp pool might just be right up his alley though.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I think with the behemoth, all he would need is that the AEs he does actually cause damage. He never ever hurts the players unless they walk into his base, and that’s what makes it so weird.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Rainbow Sprint.3215

SB, FE and jungle wurm (not the three headed one) are all introductory world bosses making them tequatl level would be silly and unneeded.

To be fair the fire ele has been nerfed since launch. It used to be really hard with AOEs everywhere, loads of adds, and knockdown that turns into more AOE so that if you get hit you died instantly.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

Which is kinda hilarious given how strong the FE was at launch. It being an “introductory world boss” and all. Carpet-bombing of aoe, mass spawns of embers, fire waves of death… Whole thing had to be zerg trained.

…Fun times. lol

Morrigan.2809

Last thing he needs is more health- maybe actually doing damage?

FE is not in his class, even Jungle Wurm has more bite, Maw has the ice storms.

He is probably the weakest starter boss even if he looks the coolest.
I have seen new players see him the first time- go oh cool, and then -what just happened?

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

And remember, it was broken for the longest time.
I fought it once in beta, then didn’t see it for almost a year. If anything, it knows how to make an entrance.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

Jungle Worm, Maw and Fire elemental have all gotten a lot tougher over the past year, yet SB remains a relative… friendly creature. He roars, he spawns his little portals, drops some shadow… bits on you, but I don’t think I’ve ever had to revive someone or even heal myself during the event. Considering he’s a world boss, he’s weaker than the champion cave troll or the giant boar which is just… weird.

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Rainbow Sprint.3215

The fights are meant to be balanced around people their level. The lower level fights do a good job of this but the higher level fights fall short of this. The SB was never meant to be fought by a horde of level 80s in full exotics/ascended and it isn’t balanced for this.

If scaling was better on players it’d be fine but a downscaled 80 is much stronger than a true level 14.

Which is kinda hilarious given how strong the FE was at launch. It being an “introductory world boss” and all. Carpet-bombing of aoe, mass spawns of embers, fire waves of death… Whole thing had to be zerg trained.

…Fun times. lol

Assuming you could get into the room without dying. That was a challenge in itself.

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

A lot of world bosses need a buff before the SB really. the claw and the shatterer could use a big buff but really they need to buff all the world bosses at the same time if they buff any of them.

The Claw is in a good place except when the boss train just overwhelms the fight. If you don’t have a critical amount of people, it’s really hard, and the mechanics are fairly interesting compared to all the other bosses. If you’ve never tried it with about 8 people, I highly recommend it. He might be my favorite world boss.

The Shatterer is in such a bizarre place. The only fix it needs is to be able to attack to his side, then the fight would function as intended (at least until people got used to how his mechanics are supposed to work and broke him again.)

Morrigan.2809

The fights are meant to be balanced around people their level. The lower level fights do a good job of this but the higher level fights fall short of this. The SB was never meant to be fought by a horde of level 80s in full exotics/ascended and it isn’t balanced for this.

If scaling was better on players it’d be fine but a downscaled 80 is much stronger than a true level 14.

And yet- look at the other starter bosses.
they are much much more dangerous.
It is just SB

I have killed him on a lvl14 btw

I don’t think I want to try Fire Ele on a lvl 14- even the way it is now

edit- you can’t say it was never intended to be fought by lvl 80’s- it drops Final Rest

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

The last thing we need is more HP.

All bosses need some revamp but we all know the only thing ArenaNet is able/willing to do is add a bazillion of HP, add a timer, some insta-kill mechanism and maybe add some invulnerable thing around them.

So the best they can do is leave him alone.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: Alacrity.4312

Alacrity.4312

Give him a Fear-chain and that will extend the fight a little.
I know that several other world bosses use Fear as part of their rotation, but of all of them, Fear fits SB’s theme the most.

Posted by: OmaiGodman.2098

OmaiGodman.2098

I think they should do something about the “just stand here and hit the air” part that is basically the whole event except for beating up the portals.

Spawn stronger enemies from the portals. Make the shadow bits that drop after the portals disappear explode and knock people over if they don’t dodge them and then make the area where they landed poisonous for a few moments (like 10-12 sec). Make SB’s apply fear to players like the Dragon Champions’ roars do. The thing has two giant claws, let him hit places where a lot of people are standing at random.

There are a lot of possibilities with Shadow Beasty.

Any plan that involves dead quaggans is, by design, foolproof. I’m an unmitigated genius!

Posted by: Blackarps.1974

Blackarps.1974

Think about it this way. You’re a level 80 getting down-scaled to a level 16 boss. Even when this happens, you have a ton of people around you to help keep you alive with water fields, empowering, and regeneration. This is also a starter zone. There shouldn’t even be more than one or two champions on the map (if you ask me). There should be a challenge in GW2 but adding more HP to an enemy doesn’t make it harder, it just makes it take longer to kill.

Even with that said, yeah, they could make it stronger. Give it a few more attacks, add some poison clouds so people can’t stand there and mash 1 over and over. I’m not really torn either way with SB though.

Maguuma Guardian

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Just don’t buff his hp….

I stopped going to those 10min AA fights with maw/golem, why even bother…

Posted by: Yalora Istairiea.6287

Yalora Istairiea.6287

I know that several other world bosses use Fear as part of their rotation, but of all of them, Fear fits SB’s theme the most.

Not a big fan of the Fear option. All it does is extend the battle for 5 seconds at a pop with no other results. Extending the time just to extend the time seems like a waste to me.

If one of those spawned Elites tag you in a crowd and you are not paying attention it can take you down. The Champions on the otherhand go down fast due to everyone wanting to tag for the drop.

What if instead of the portals always popping up in the same spot each time, they moved them in random locations All Around him so that everyone is not bunched up. Also giving him some more constant AOE red circles all throughout the battle would get people moving more.

And to stop the mass of people just standing in the swamp beforehand instead of doing the pre-events; all those people get sucked into the underworld and can’t get back till SB is dead… That will put an end to that nonsense.

Morrigan.2809

Not a big fan of the Fear option. All it does is extend the battle for 5 seconds at a pop with no other results. Extending the time just to extend the time seems like a waste to me.

If one of those spawned Elites tag you in a crowd and you are not paying attention it can take you down. The Champions on the otherhand go down fast due to everyone wanting to tag for the drop.

What if instead of the portals always popping up in the same spot each time, they moved them in random locations All Around him so that everyone is not bunched up. Also giving him some more constant AOE red circles all throughout the battle would get people moving more.

And to stop the mass of people just standing in the swamp beforehand instead of doing the pre-events; all those people get sucked into the underworld and can’t get back till SB is dead… That will put an end to that nonsense.

hahaha I love that!

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Sundar.1735

Sundar.1735

The Jungle wurm in Caledon is actually significantly harder than SB and Maw despite being a starter map boss.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

or we could stop focusing low level bosses and shift to newer lvl80 ones

lvl40 wurm and lvl60 teq are boring…

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

No changes please. The last time they changed SB he was bugged and didn’t spawn for 4 months.

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

all world bosses should have the AOE cap removed from them,
if they use AOE all the players in the AOE range should be damaged….

Rainbow Sprint.3215

A lot of world bosses need a buff before the SB really. the claw and the shatterer could use a big buff but really they need to buff all the world bosses at the same time if they buff any of them.

The Claw is in a good place except when the boss train just overwhelms the fight. If you don’t have a critical amount of people, it’s really hard, and the mechanics are fairly interesting compared to all the other bosses. If you’ve never tried it with about 8 people, I highly recommend it. He might be my favorite world boss.

The Shatterer is in such a bizarre place. The only fix it needs is to be able to attack to his side, then the fight would function as intended (at least until people got used to how his mechanics are supposed to work and broke him again.)

I play on Jade Quarry, there are no 8 people boss fights. The server has always been 70+ people at a boss since day one.

And no, the SB was never meant to be fought by a level 80, that’s what the downscaling is supposed to do, make it so we have the stats we would normally have around that level. I mean I do understand that it takes into account our armor which is much better than what we could have actually had around that level, but it should limit us so we’re actually at level 14 stats and then the level 14 fights would be a challenge. Doing so would require a complete overhaul of the scaling system but it would make balance better in the future for both upscaled and downscaled characters, plus it would fix the queensdale champ train at the same time because the champs would no longer be as fast to take down.

While it would take time it wouldn’t actually be hard to do. Just have the game detect the armor we’re wearing and cap the stats our armor gives us at what we would have at that level, or the closest tier we could wear and have it give us the closest rarity at that level and it’d be pretty easy to do, you just have to compare stats. So going from my level 14 example. A level 80 in exotic berserker gear would have their armor stats capped at the level 10 crafted blue gear that gives power as its stat. While a level 14 in level 10 whites upscaled to 80 would get the equivalent to the level 80 whites from a merchant.

Posted by: Phenix Flyer.6724

Phenix Flyer.6724

Jungle Worm, Maw and Fire elemental have all gotten a lot tougher over the past year, yet SB remains a relative… friendly creature. He roars, he spawns his little portals, drops some shadow… bits on you, but I don’t think I’ve ever had to revive someone or even heal myself during the event. Considering he’s a world boss, he’s weaker than the champion cave troll or the giant boar which is just… weird.

Yeah it always seems less of an epic battle for the soul of this land, and more like go home SB you’re drunk

~ Sylvari Ranger, [BGW] Jade Quarry ~
“I blame Kormir”

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Fire Elemental has only gotten weaker, actually.