shadowstep change (in my opinion bad)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lloydst.6985

lloydst.6985

now we all know shadow step (and similar skills) have been changed in the 2nd to last patch. this was mostly to counter exploits(shortcuts in dungeons/ getting out of a map)
however in doing this they have made the skills way harder to use/ nerfed it to a degree where it is no longer usable. plz a net instead of punishing the players who use the skills correctly punish those that don’t now ofc. its harder to do that but right now some classes are way to annoying to play.

roaming/havoc commander of FTF

Posted by: ReaverKane.7598

ReaverKane.7598

Really? As far as i can see within intended uses its actually easier to use now. For example on PvP teleports.

Posted by: Vakrir.4829

Vakrir.4829

My guard sword 2 skill has about a 50% success rate now, I don’t even try to use it anymore.

lloydst.6985

as vakrir said he gets about a 50% succes rate now, i get about 10 % on my thief as you used to be able to teleport up and down pretty easily (or for example up the choke gates (at SE/SWC)) or when you die as a thief up on the lil’ ledge on a tower or keep there is NO way as a thief to teleport away/off the ledge. they have destroyed a good mechanic in the game and punish the many for the VERY Few that abuse it

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

as vakrir said he gets about a 50% succes rate now, i get about 10 % on my thief as you used to be able to teleport up and down pretty easily (or for example up the choke gates (at SE/SWC)) or when you die as a thief up on the lil’ ledge on a tower or keep there is NO way as a thief to teleport away/off the ledge. they have destroyed a good mechanic in the game and punish the many for the VERY Few that abuse it

That is exactly the reason they implemented this though; they don’t want it so that you are able to teleport farther than you should be able to, or to get to places that classes without a teleport literally can’t get to.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Works fine for me. Just make sure there’s actual LOS.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

the only failures I have with blink are when it would of failed before (that’s another issue – fails on flat ground but succeeds when between floors), except now it doesn’t go on cooldown and I can try a location a pixel to the left. can still blink to higher platforms, up/down some stairs, etc.

Posted by: mist.9807

mist.9807

The only problem I have with this change is that a lot of the restrictions seem random or hugely bugged. Every single time I see “No valid path” I practically yell at my computer because it’s RIGHT. THERE. Often just a small hill or plant box or something that you could easily walk around in two steps prevents you from actually using the skill (from my experience using lightning flash.) In other cases, I’m prevented from teleporting up on a ledge but if I were to move just an inch to the right, oh look, it suddenly works. If you can actually walk there and it’s within range of the skill (the actual walking distance that is,) I don’t think it should have been changed. Such as, for example, the arches on at the exists of SE and SW camps in the borderlands. Obviously, teleporting from the keep node in forest to one of those ledges shouldn’t be allowed, but there are still spots that allow it… So yeah, it really seems like this “exploit fix” is either bugged quite a lot, or unfinished.

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

From spvp point teleports had huge buff that needs to be nerfed as teleport classes have it way too easy right now there. Ledges are not save anymore for ranged classes as any noob can teleport up there over and over and screw you over. Its needs to be fixed.

Posted by: Bekkr.6192

Bekkr.6192

I really don’t understand what was game-breaking about it before, but I agree with the OP that it does now fail in some scenarios where it really should work.

The problem with the youth of today is that one is no longer part of it.
-Salvador Dali

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

From spvp point teleports had huge buff that needs to be nerfed as teleport classes have it way too easy right now there. Ledges are not save anymore for ranged classes as any noob can teleport up there over and over and screw you over. Its needs to be fixed.

teleport classes waste entire skill(s) to give them that mobility. what other reason than to get out of pickles?
unrelated to OP, but along these lines: I love when I’m downed, use deception, and it teleports me to a floor below or above

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

teleport classes waste entire skill(s) to give them that mobility. what other reason than to get out of pickles?
unrelated to OP, but along these lines: I love when I’m downed, use deception, and it teleports me to a floor below or above

Never runned into a s/d thief? I have blast teleporting over and over harassing ppl with such noob tactic and taking them down slowly without real effort while they trying to hit me. Thats some truly nice bs there. Your logic is flawed as well. Leap classes waste entire skill to give them a mobility which is inferior in every way to teleport as not olny a leap takes time to get us to destinated place/target as they are not insta but also we cant hop up/down like teleport classes which gains huge terrain advantage like i mentioned above.

lloydst.6985

Reviving this since it was posted before april fools and the people complaining about the gold limit and its still one big issue

Posted by: GeminiArcher.7809

GeminiArcher.7809

Yes, I don’t know what on earth this change was supposed to do, but it horribly broke teleports. They weren’t perfect before- there were some ways to abuse it by teleporting places you shouldn’t be able to and sometimes it wouldn’t work even if there was a clear path, but it is many times worse now. I’ve repeatedly had Judge’s Intervention go on full cooldown for teleports that fail to do anything despite there being a straight, and to my eye unobstructed line to the target.

Meanwhile, I see and have managed to pull off teleports up to ledges which do not have a clear path. In the room where Eye of Zhaitan spawns, for instance, I’ve been able to use both the Thief and Guardian sword teleports to teleport up to enemies on the ledge from the ground 20 feet below. And most jaw-droppingly abusively, I’ve seen thieves using teleports to get up to the ledges overlooking the midpoint on Forest of Niflhel (and managed to do it myself too, albeit unintentionally with the mesmer’s downed teleport). Being able to teleport up there is absurd- you have to run basically the entire length of the map to get there.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I haven’t had any issues with any ports including what the guardians have.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The change is theoretically fine but the path finding needs some improvements. When using SB#5 I could get “No valid path to target.” but then a few seconds later I run over the exact spot. Obviously there was a valid path otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to run over it.

It might be better to eliminate the “No valid path to target.” case and just have it move you as close as possible similar to how teleporting to something that is out of range works.

Posted by: Victuswolf.5286

Victuswolf.5286

I get no valid path to target on certain slopes and steps in the game despite being able to walk up them no problem.

Shadow step is crap now.

You want a example?

Try shadow stepping from up the steps on the Mystic forge in Lions arch to any of the ground down the steps. It won’t let you despite the fact you can walk up or down them fine. That’s how bad they made this.

(edited by Victuswolf.5286)