something wrong with me

something wrong with me

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ricochett.5761

ricochett.5761

Q:

Hello, i found myself complaining about almost everything on GW2 but i am still playing it. Maybe its because the rainbow color legendaries or the mini pets or the quaggan backpacks? Something is wrong with me or am i the only one that also like some kitten armor, backs or weps? And why anet released ascended armor? Probably they must stop the living world and do what we really need?

something wrong with me

Posted by: Guardian.5142

Guardian.5142

A:

because people are just entitled gamers these days.

People feel entitled to a good product in exchange for their money? Shame on them.

I used to cobble hard-drives out of spare copper wire and piano string to get my copy of Doom running on MS-DOS, and that’s how things should still be today.

Gah! So entitled!

You have the attitude that you are entitled to everything the game has to offer without actually putting in any effort to get it.

Exactly! Games should be a tedious and boring grindfest. People should never expect anything else from an MMO.

You don’t play an MMO if you’re not prepared to do lots of tedious boring grind to get to the fun parts. In fact they should just replace the fun parts with more grind so we can separate elites from scrubs.

I remember the old days of DOS. Boot disks and duct tape. Still play Masters of Orion/Magic and a few other “classics”. DOSbox ftw

Azure has it right, but the word “entitled” carries too negative a connotation. I would probably say that those who haven’t traveled down the long dark road of MMOs or gaming in general take for granted much of what made games fun originally for so many, so they don’t see why things are designed the way they are. ANET has made a gem of a game that combines some of the best aspects of MMO gaming and tries to push the envelope at what should be expected of MMO gaming in the future. They have stumbled along the way here and there, but every game developer does. Overall, I think they’d done a great job and being a MMO vet makes me appreciate all the more the things they got right.

As for the OP, it sounds like burnout. You get this way when you have really tested the boundaries of “too much of a good thing” and you need to back off from it for a little while. Its like eating Pizza every day. It could very well be your favorite food and you may do different toppings with every meal, but eventually… you feel the need for more. There’s nothing wrong with the pizza, but give it a break for a bit and try it again later.

See, one of the beauties of GW2 is how casually you can play it. Take a month off. Go play some console games or check out some older PC games that you might have put off as they were ridiculously expensive when they came out. Steam sale would be an incredible idea for this. GW2 updates every two weeks, so if you wanted to, you could log in for achieves on patch day or just let em pass by. There’s no meta achieve for doing all the holiday achieves (thank goodness for that), so unless there’s a reward worth having, eh… its all good. Check back on Dulfy’s page from time to time to see whats added.

The takeaway here is: blaming the game is a shortsighted judgement when you just need a break. The game was designed to where you can easily take breaks and check back in for patch content as you like. Take advantage of the season for some great gaming deals and come back when you’re ready.

What did ANET do when the sheer mass of the event ZERG was too much for the server to support?
They had to SPAWN MORE OVERFLOWS!

something wrong with me

Posted by: Saulius.8430

Saulius.8430

admitting is first step to recovery

kill all ze thingz

something wrong with me

Posted by: Ozika.3760

Ozika.3760

Hello, i found myself complaining about almost everything on GW2 but i am still playing it. Maybe its because the rainbow color legendaries or the mini pets or the quaggan backpacks? Something is wrong with me or am i the only one that also like some kitten armor, backs or weps? And why anet released ascended armor? Probably they must stop the living world and do what we really need?

I whine and moan about a lot of things Guild Wars. A lot.

“Unfortunately, I’m fortunate enough to be addicted to the gear grind, so I still have the fortunately unfortunate drive to play the game.”

I’m assuming the statement above is how you feel about the game. :P

something wrong with me

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

That’s called “Addiction”.

That’s why a lot of people who hate World of Warcraft still play World of Warcraft. It’s the main reason MMORPGs are so universally despised and their players so badly stereotyped.

Tell you what, there’s a Steam winter sale coming up (or GOG one that’s already going), so take about 20$ and get yourself a copy of Skyrim, Divinity II, Guild Wars (haha), Torchlight, or whatever other RPG you like. Many of these games will probably grab your attention just as well.

Guild Wars 2 isn’t a bad game by any stretch. You can have fun with it. If you’re not having fun with it, trying another good RPG should be refreshing.

something wrong with me

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

because people are just entitled gamers these days. If you played old MMOs you would be thankful for GW2 and love this kitten like no other, similar to how I do.

Im from the Ultima Online days where you can be killed by anyone near anywhere and lose all of your gear and items in the snap of a finger. The horror stories of that game still make me and some old friends cringe. THAT was real grinding. Took me 4 and a half years to get the best katana, announced it in a dungeon that I got it and was murdered and lost 3 years worth of loot. yep. THAT was punishment, and dont know why I played it for so many years.

Now GW2 isnt really a grind. Ascended gear is for long term investment so you actually have something to do besides getting the easy to get exos. Its whatever and nothing to complain about but people today just love to cry. People that dont want new gear confuse me… why are you playing an MMO? Why are you playing the same content over and over if you want no growth? Play a good JRPG, you can level up and get the best gear and actually have an ending to boot.

Todays gamers? want the story to be delivered exactly how “it needs to be” or its kitten. Gear grinding? thats kitten. Everything is kitten. No one appreciates anything and in games today, and devs have it rough. GW2 is unique in how its build and I could tell from jump it was going to take awhile for it to fully flesh out. How they are going about it is interesting, and the living story is a great concept even if the story absolutely sucks, but the crying… and kittening… its unreal.

I have work in 20 minutes and needed to vent, thank you and good quaggan.

something wrong with me

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

because people are just entitled gamers these days. If you played old MMOs you would be thankful for GW2 and love this kitten like no other, similar to how I do.

Im from the Ultima Online days where you can be killed by anyone near anywhere and lose all of your gear and items in the snap of a finger. The horror stories of that game still make me and some old friends cringe. THAT was real grinding. Took me 4 and a half years to get the best katana, announced it in a dungeon that I got it and was murdered and lost 3 years worth of loot. yep. THAT was punishment, and dont know why I played it for so many years.

Now GW2 isnt really a grind. Ascended gear is for long term investment so you actually have something to do besides getting the easy to get exos. Its whatever and nothing to complain about but people today just love to cry. People that dont want new gear confuse me… why are you playing an MMO? Why are you playing the same content over and over if you want no growth? Play a good JRPG, you can level up and get the best gear and actually have an ending to boot.

Todays gamers? want the story to be delivered exactly how “it needs to be” or its kitten. Gear grinding? thats kitten. Everything is kitten. No one appreciates anything and in games today, and devs have it rough. GW2 is unique in how its build and I could tell from jump it was going to take awhile for it to fully flesh out. How they are going about it is interesting, and the living story is a great concept even if the story absolutely sucks, but the crying… and kittening… its unreal.

^This… 1000 times This…

Unfortunately the “I want it all right nao!” crowd is the underlying cause of everything that’s wrong with the GW2 community.

So, the answer to the questions “What’s wrong with you” is simple. You have the attitude that you are entitled to everything the game has to offer without actually putting in any effort to get it.

Level 80 Elementalist

something wrong with me

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Its how mmorpgs works .

When you decide you are having no more fun, its still incredibly hard to leave fiends you met in a mmorpg, and to leave a character you invested so much time in…

That is why people have a hard time leaving a mmorpg even when they start to hate it.

This is a known side effect of mmorpgs….

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

something wrong with me

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

because people are just entitled gamers these days.

People feel entitled to a good product in exchange for their money? Shame on them.

I used to cobble hard-drives out of spare copper wire and piano string to get my copy of Doom running on MS-DOS, and that’s how things should still be today.

Gah! So entitled!

You have the attitude that you are entitled to everything the game has to offer without actually putting in any effort to get it.

Exactly! Games should be a tedious and boring grindfest. People should never expect anything else from an MMO.

You don’t play an MMO if you’re not prepared to do lots of tedious boring grind to get to the fun parts. In fact they should just replace the fun parts with more grind so we can separate elites from scrubs.

something wrong with me

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I complain a lot too, but I’ve invested too much on it to leave now and tbh I’m still hoping it will get better (the way I want it to be) since it STILL is “Guild Wars” afterall (being a massive gw1 fan myself). Plus there isn’t anything better out there (for me)… yet. :/

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

something wrong with me

Posted by: sadatoni.6524

sadatoni.6524

…masters of magic… brings back great memories. Loved that game. Still have the CD somewhere around here.

I would like to see some more of the world opened up. More exploring!

something wrong with me

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

^This… 1000 times This…

Unfortunately the “I want it all right nao!” crowd is the underlying cause of everything that’s wrong with the GW2 community.

So, the answer to the questions “What’s wrong with you” is simple. You have the attitude that you are entitled to everything the game has to offer without actually putting in any effort to get it.

Agreed 100%

Coming from console games and never having played any other MMORPG I have a pretty jaded point of view about GW2, I love it and I hate it at times but the good has always outweighed the bad aspects. To me there is nothing about GW2 that is deal breaking I feel that for the hours I’ve played I’ve gotten one kitten of a bang for my money, being a goal oriented player the game provides me with many more challenges than a console game could ever bring even with DLC’s

Could it be better? kitten yes!, is Anet going to make the game better than it is today? we can only hope that the game continually progresses towards the things we all want, if it doesn’t I still feel they made a great game and I got more out of the game in the form of hours spent doing content that was enjoyable and challenging along with being a excellent value when you spread out the cost per hour.

I just had my 1 year anniversary playing the game last month and have no reason to stop playing that I can see in the future, there are a few console titles coming out that I will play but for a game that is only a little over a year old Anet would seem to me to have already accomplished a lot and are reasonably interested in listening to their player-base and make changes based on that input. You could never have this type of fluid/changeable content from a console game which IMHO makes GW2 worth playing.

something wrong with me

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Maybe there’s still more things you like about it than hate.

There’s also the fact that despite the flaws and lack of GW1 influence it’s still the best MMO out currently that did a lot of things right.
The upcoming MMOs I have low expectations and P2P will make it harder for them to surpass that because they’re REALLY going to live up to that worth and I’ve yet to see an MMO do that for me. o.O Hopefully among them all ESO manages to pull it off.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.