(spoilers) Revenant -Continuity breaking?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: baconcupcaxe.4208

baconcupcaxe.4208

I am super pumped to try out the Revenant. Extra happy too with the change to Trait system incoming.
So here’s my thought. The Revenant is coming as a new playable class because Rytlock went into the Mists etc. When we all get our hands on HoT and create our Revenants, will they be starting in current instances? Hero of Shaemoor? Progressing thru to kill Zhaitan etc? You see what I mean right. This new class is a result of post PS/ Zhaitan, post Scarlet and destruction of LA etc.

So what will make more sense? How will anet deal with it? I won’t assume we will get the Revenant at 80 at launch of xpac. But progressing thru the Personal Story also doesn’t make sense. If HoT will include zones for 1-80 (unlikely) and Revenant starts in Maguuma. Maybe we will get Personal Story update?

Any possible solutions? What do you guys think?

Lady Emojuin, Bacon Cupcaxe
Soylent Greenleaf, River Songstress
Gate of Madness

Posted by: Rangerdeity.5847

Rangerdeity.5847

i…. i…. i think anet overlooked this good catch consider it loophole mists magic and what not and just be happy it exists

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

My suggestion I’ve been posting in threads is to have a Revenant starting zone, and a very small personal story specifically for them due to the way things have happened chronologically.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

We don’t even know how exactly they will be introduced yet, wait until then.

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

Playing in a world where Zhaitan is dead while your PS still has you killing him created the same problems.

They’ll deal with this the same way. Ignore it.

Posted by: Shiro Tegachii.5619

Shiro Tegachii.5619

i dont think it will change anything about the story, unless he’s awakening unleashed some powers and some random people became revenants and they are you

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I think people lack faith in ANet, and assume that they’re stupid or something. It’s a company of ~300, who have been developing this for the past year at least (when it was confirmed that they hired their AI designer). You don’t think that one of them would have thought of this prior to announcing the expansion when immediately this was everyone’s first concern with the class? I guarantee you that ArenaNet not only solved this solution in their own way, but you’ll also be impressed when you see it implemented on launch.

Posted by: NoobOnSteroid.7192

NoobOnSteroid.7192

Factions and Nightfall had their own starting area’s. Of course, they were stand-alone games, but I cannot see any reason why HoT should be any different. We are getting a new story, they might as well make it the “personal story” for new HoT characters.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

One possibility. One map in the new area that is a leveling map. The bottom biome is levels 1-26. The middle biome, levels 27-52. The top biome, 53-80. Once your char hits 80, it can leave.

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

There is no reason why other people cant be Revenants before Rytlock.

In the end his trip to the mists could have merely forced him to change his combat style to a different and rare, but known style.

After all Charr should be pragmatic enough to take whatever weapon/class works best and shouldn’t be overly concerned with adapting. Especially since he is still wearing heavy armor.

The other option would be that HoT completely changes the personal story so taht Zaitan was already killed and Mordrem are the new global threat, with the new Zones replacing Orr for level 70+ players.

(edited by Arkinos.7245)

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

My suggestion I’ve been posting in threads is to have a Revenant starting zone, and a very small personal story specifically for them due to the way things have happened chronologically.

A small living story seems likely to only result in player complaints. Granted not doing it might also result in player complaints….
But they could in theory use the two racial stories (they shouldn’t be too heavily impacted). And then add a revenant story to bridge between that in HoT. Of course how exactly they’d handle Living Story Season 2… It get’s confusing.

Playing in a world where Zhaitan is dead while your PS still has you killing him created the same problems.

They’ll deal with this the same way. Ignore it.

I don’t think there’s too many references in the open world to Zhaitan being dead. In fact I don’t think there’s any in the base game. In fact I’ve discovered the opposite. Having killed Zhaitan and the world still reacting if he was alive.

I think people lack faith in ANet, and assume that they’re stupid or something. It’s a company of ~300, who have been developing this for the past year at least (when it was confirmed that they hired their AI designer). You don’t think that one of them would have thought of this prior to announcing the expansion when immediately this was everyone’s first concern with the class? I guarantee you that ArenaNet not only solved this solution in their own way, but you’ll also be impressed when you see it implemented on launch.

I’m not saying they’re stupid. I’m saying they’re human and thus fallible and limited both in time and effort available to do things. Do I think ANet (if we can even speak of Anet as a single whole) would prefer to do a good job and would prefer to be able to produce a entirely separate Personal Story. But if they actually did it, or if they actually had the time and effort available to them I’m unsure.

Posted by: Arkinos.7245

Arkinos.7245

I’m not saying they’re stupid. I’m saying they’re human and thus fallible and limited both in time and effort available to do things. Do I think ANet (if we can even speak of Anet as a single whole) would prefer to do a good job and would prefer to be able to produce a entirely separate Personal Story. But if they actually did it, or if they actually had the time and effort available to them I’m unsure.

Incompetence is no excuse for a commercial organisation.

If you want to make money, learn to run your corporation properly.

“Want” is an excuse.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

So here’s my thought. The Revenant is coming as a new playable class because Rytlock went into the Mists etc.

Technically speaking…

Rytlock is a Revenant because he went to the Mists. He’s the first NPC Revenant. But that doesn’t mean he’s the first Revenant ever.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Would you rather have the Revenant treated as a “hero” class that starts at or near the level cap and doesn’t even have access to the original personal story? That would probably be more likely than making an entire personal story just for 1 class. They could however offer a smaller personal story about becoming a Revenant.

The personal story doesn’t actually break the timeline until Zhaitan is involved. Everything up to joining an Order is mostly fine for example. It’s only until later where your goal directly involves Zhaitan that it breaks. Everything involving Risen attacks however still makes sense as they could simply be what remains. They could cut it at the point where you join an Order for example and have you join Rytlock instead. You would still have to join an Order and become the commander of the Pact however, since the game assumes these things for other stories.

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Don’t worry to much about continuity, especially in an mmo. You can’t just not let Revenants do the personal story. Imagine someone picks up GW2 and HoT, new to the game and all and rolls a Revenant and he cannot do the personal story?

Come on we had events celebrating the DEATH of zaitan, but we can still kill him. We’re on an entirely new dragon already. Just chalk it up as mists ex machine.

Posted by: Novuake.2691

Novuake.2691

Revenant does not NEED to be a Rytlock only thing.

Retriever Iiat – Asura Engineer
Private retriever of runaway NPCs
Mistband[MIST] – PVP Training guild EU

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

I don’t really see the problem with revenants (lore wise) being around before zhaitans death. Just because the players got access to the class with HoT doesn’t mean they didn’t exist in terms of lore. Think if it more like “The players now know more about the world they are in due to discovery”.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

There is another way.
Revenants could start as Zephitires that have migrated through the Maguuma Wastes, a personal story that takes them with Rytlock into the Mists to master their skills. It would have its own instances, allow for all races to play as them and bring them into the story without breaking anything.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Posted by: VenomousEX.4012

VenomousEX.4012

getting scythe for my revenant!! gonna look awesome

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

There was that idea that Rytlock actually sends the new Revenant into the Mists to live the past and somehow really train to defeat Mordremoth and thus, learn how to fight an Elder Dragon by reliving Zhaitan’s battle.

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

You guys are seriously overthinking this. Rev is gonna slot in as another class alongside every other class in the existing storylines. I really think anet is gonna focus its story writing on the new expansion – available to everyone, not just one class.

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

Colin almost made it sound like a revenant would be 80 at create and that the mastery and specialization would be its primary “leveling”. While it doesn’t sound right, i’m really unsure how they would put that profession through the regular personal story stuff. It may also be that they are passing out tomes like candy so you can just level them up pretty much right away. Regardless, it’ll be interesting to see what they come up with.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Lord Wolfbane I V.7628

Lord Wolfbane I V.7628

I was under the assumption the Revenant was an optional progression for a Warrior like Druid is for Ranger and the as yet unrevealed new “classes” that will expand from the existing classes , maybe an ele becomes a battle mage and a thief becomes a well just burn it with fire. That way 1 would hope you had already defeated Zhaitan and would not break continuity

Posted by: Nekroseth.5186

Nekroseth.5186

“I think people lack faith in ANet, and assume that they’re stupid or something” HOLLY kitten WHY SHOULD I HAVE FAITH IN THEM?
The only thing in my mind when i hear Gw2 is : Holly kitten kitten ANET, those kittens ruined the good Gw1 into this kitten, when they promised the heavens and gave us this kitten.
I had HOPE for like a YEAR after beta…but we didnt even get a kittennig weapon or anything.
I might have a decent opinion on almost all topics, but “faith in Anet” is the ONLY THING i cant even listen to.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

I don’t think there’s too many references in the open world to Zhaitan being dead. In fact I don’t think there’s any in the base game. In fact I’ve discovered the opposite. Having killed Zhaitan and the world still reacting if he was alive.

Among some references, there is a big one in the Durmand library , the Zhaitan’s tail is hanging in the ceiling … need a better hint?

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

I was under the assumption the Revenant was an optional progression for a Warrior like Druid is for Ranger and the as yet unrevealed new “classes” that will expand from the existing classes , maybe an ele becomes a battle mage and a thief becomes a well just burn it with fire. That way 1 would hope you had already defeated Zhaitan and would not break continuity

They’ve explicitly stated that Revenant is a new profession and not a specialization.

Though Colin also recently stated that Rytlock teaches folks to become Revenants.

Maybe the situation will be that any pre-existing character can become a Revenant within HoT’s storyline, rather than making a new character for it?

idk

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Astral Projections.7320

Among some references, there is a big one in the Durmand library , the Zhaitan’s tail is hanging in the ceiling … need a better hint?

Maybe he shed his tail like the giant lizard he is and scurried off afterwards. ^^

If I killed a dragon, I would cut off and mount the head, not the tail. Lol.

Astral Projections.7320

They’ve explicitly stated that Revenant is a new profession and not a specialization.

Though Colin also recently stated that Rytlock teaches folks to become Revenants.

Maybe the situation will be that any pre-existing character can become a Revenant within HoT’s storyline, rather than making a new character for it?

idk

That’s an interesting idea. It would eliminate the need for a new leveling zone or to have people level on the old maps before they can play in the new maps. It also ends the debate about whether or not your new char would have a place in the Zhaitan personal story. It would also take care of the questions about new character slots and the problem with people who already have the max of 64 character slots and would need to either delete or have the slots expanded.

If they do this, it might have to be a heavy armor char (because of armor conflicts) and they might have an option for someone to to go back to the old profession by speaking to Rytlock again.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

They honestly should have just not bothered trying to introduce it with new lore and should have just added it to the game as if it had always existed.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I’m pretty sure they don’t care about this? I certainly don’t. Why does it matter, exactly? An MMO is pretty far-flung from where you’re going to see hole-less plots, namely because the game is continually being added to. Not to mention the already-existing plot problems around Lion’s Arch and Orr.

And that’s fine to me. It’s just a game. A game that has always had much stronger gameplay than story. I’m perfectly OK with Revenant just being dropped into the existing engine with no explanation as to why. I don’t know if this is what they are going to do, but whatever, you’ll live either way.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Rashy.4165

Rashy.4165

The personal story isn’t dependent on Class, only on Race (first 2 chapters), and your chosen Order (remaining chapters where members of different Orders get different missions). Adding a new class won’t break continuity too much, as players aren’t referred to as their individual classes. The only trick is introducing Revenants in a logical way.

Seeing as the Mists are described as “constituting the fabric of time and space”, it’s possible that some form of Time travel is involved allowing Rytlock to go back in time to before Zhaitan’s defeat and introduce the Revenant class, then go back into the future (current time) to continue the fight against Mordremoth. That’s assuming Rytlock IS the first Revenant. It’s possible he was introduced to the class through an unknown Master within the Mists, who was then able to go back into the real world and teach the ways of the Revenant to new characters, while Rytlock appears in the Maguuma jungle.

By comparison, adding a new race would be a lot more complicated. It certainly wouldn’t be able to get an involvement in defeating Zhaitan or the leadup to defeating Mordremoth, since LS Season 2 forms an alliance between 5 races, and no more. A new race would have its personal story start with whichever expansion that introduced it (while current players would also experience that story as a continuation of their past story) – their involvement would start with that and continue from that point forward, in order to maintain continuity.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

Rytlock probably communed, or wrestled, with long dead Ritualists to gain the skills to control the spirits of the Mists.

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

Hahaha, how long have you been playing GW2? Looking at the last patches there are still some major screw-ups to be fixed. They’re gonna screw up the expansion BIG time! (and I’m still gonna buy it) The current ps wouldn’t even make sense if the world was pre-Zhaitan’s defeat.
We’ll just get to start our revenant in the same old starter-areas with the same old ps that still has the same old logical errors that were introduced with the NPE.

Attachments: Here you’re supposed to see the twins Arlon and Pellam while in fact you see Arlon with his clone Arlon.

Attachments:

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul