(sugg) Server Time Indicatior In-Game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I realise there’s an option to have an overlay over mini map that shows server time or your local time, but not both at the same time, so you can compare.

When Anet announces events etc, they list multiple times, like UTC, PDT, GMT etc. Living in Down Under, trying to work it all out gets a bit confusing, especially when daylight savings are involved.

Why not have it when you hover your mouse over the local, or whatever time you have displayed over the mini map, it also shows server time above it? Then when Anet announces events, they only need to list one time they will be held at: the server time.

This is a simple yet important little QoL feature that i think would be very helpful for our international community. I know i can Google timers etc and i do, but this would make both server and ur local time always available in game just by hovering your mouse over your displayed time.

So depending what you choose to display ie local or server timer they end up rotating positions, where one that isn’t displayed is hidden and only shows when hovering your mouse over the display, if that makes sense. Ultimately this would make it so you only ever have to worry about 2 different time zones, your local one and the server time, not all these other acronyms half of which i don’t even know what they mean.

Support if you like the idea or add your own.

Posted by: Shukriyya.7629

Shukriyya.7629

I have the server time in my mini map and my local time in my chat window – maybe this would work for you too?

RoF

Tiger Ashante.1792

I have the server time in my mini map and my local time in my chat window – maybe this would work for you too?

Honestly i wasn’t even aware i could do that, but even so, that only works if some is chatting, right? While what i’m suggesting allows the 2 zone times always available.
I mean i’ve been in maps where for half an hour or more no one says nothing in the chat.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You can always say ‘hi’ in /s or /m or /g. Even if no one is around. The time-stamp will show. =)

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Honestly i wasn’t even aware i could do that, but even so, that only works if some is chatting, right?

The time is on your minimap, you can always see it. No need to write something in chat. You can either show your time or server time.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Tiger Ashante.1792

Ok I tried what u guys suggested, ie: turning the time stamp on and something weird has happened. It no longer shows what i looted in the chat. Event turning time stamp off and fully exiting the game did not fix it.
I know ur loot is scrolled on the right of ur screen but it also always showed in the chat what u got. Sometimes i don’t have time to look at that loot scrolling on the side and like to review the chat afterwards to see what i got or to take a screenshot as proof of getting something, well it don’t show any more. For some reason it’s been now removed…permanently.

Tiger Ashante.1792

Honestly i wasn’t even aware i could do that, but even so, that only works if some is chatting, right?

The time is on your minimap, you can always see it. No need to write something in chat. You can either show your time or server time.

If read my post you would realise i’m aware of that, that wasn’t my point. i would like to see both server and my local time in the same place.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Are you sure you didn’t un-tick any boxes in chat? I have both time-stamps and loot in my chat. I think it’s the ‘Game Messages’ option.

There is an option in Windows (I know it’s not in-game) that you can set on the Taskbar Clock to show multiple time-zones just by mousing over it. It is accessed by clicking on the Date/Time area and choosing ‘Change Date and Time…’, and then clicking the ‘Additional Clocks’ tab.

Good luck.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Tiger Ashante.1792

Are you sure you didn’t un-tick any boxes in chat? I have both time-stamps and loot in my chat. I think it’s the ‘Game Messages’ option.

There is an option in Windows (I know it’s not in-game) that you can set on the Taskbar Clock to show multiple time-zones just by mousing over it. It is accessed by clicking on the Date/Time area and choosing ‘Change Date and Time…’, and then clicking the ‘Additional Clocks’ tab.

Good luck.

Yep i’m positive, all my boxes were ticked b4 except the time stamp and its the only box i then ticked and yea the loot message is gone.

But as far as the time business is concerned it’s really a very simple thing i would have thought. I play Rift as well and it has this feature on the mini map it’s wonderful. I can keep an eye on when the dailies reset by simply hovering over my display time. When i do that, it shows (that’s normally hidden) above it the server time and i can switch between them by simply clicking on one or the other without having to go into options etc. I would really like to see something like that in gw2.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Well, you could try un-ticking it, and ticking it again….or a -repair of the client.

Either way, though a nice QoL, perhaps, I doubt we will see it soon.

Good luck, though. =)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m not against the feature, I just think there are other features that would be more important to have in the game.

Plus, my reliable work-around is that I remember when server reset is in local time. I also use /wiki wb, which brings up the wiki world boss article, which shows the times in UTC and my computer’s local time, plus a count-down. (There are also plenty of good timers and overlays with timers.)

tl;dr an ok idea, although arguably with plenty of existing solutions and therefore not a priority imo.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Tiger Ashante.1792

Well, you could try un-ticking it, and ticking it again….or a -repair of the client.

Either way, though a nice QoL, perhaps, I doubt we will see it soon.

Good luck, though. =)

Well i did untick it b4 i reloaded my game. first i tried to tick it on/off in game that didn’t do anything, then i unticked it and logged into char select, relogged, still nothing. while still unticked i exited the game completely, reloaded it and still nothing. Maybe i need to reboot my pc, but seriously, why should i have to do that for something like this? Anyway, well see tomorrow i guess.

But on topic, it would be a nice QoL for sure. It kinda makes me sad though. I see lots of posts on this forum with quite good ideas and suggestions, but these posts always get flooded with people saying, don’t hold your breath for that ever happening, kinda thing. It’s sad that so many ppl have lost faith in Anet getting some of this stuff done. I’m still hoping and i’m still trying to believe and not let these type of comments get to me, but i must admit it’s becoming harder and harder.

Posted by: Zahld.4956

Zahld.4956

getting easy things done might be better than trying to wait until tougher things are tackled and then getting to them.

Tiger Ashante.1792

I’m not against the feature, I just think there are other features that would be more important to have in the game.

Plus, my reliable work-around is that I remember when server reset is in local time. I also use /wiki wb, which brings up the wiki world boss article, which shows the times in UTC and my computer’s local time, plus a count-down. (There are also plenty of good timers and overlays with timers.)

tl;dr an ok idea, although arguably with plenty of existing solutions and therefore not a priority imo.

Yea i have no problems with server resets per se, i’ve memorized that too, nor are the boss timers an issue. My main problem comes when they announce there’s going to be POI stream that’s going to showcase some important changes to the gameplay, or some major announcements, like for eg tomorrow’s e3 reveal of guild halls etc. Because they list so many different time zones when it’s going to happen, i find it confusing. To me, it would be much simpler if they just announced everything to be happening at server time and if there was an ability to quickly check the local/server time without having to constantly go into options or whatever, that would be awesome, at least for me.