[sugg] dailies

[sugg] dailies

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Endrance.1680

Endrance.1680

Bump

I really like the idea of the quests. They did this in GW, across all campaigns, however most memorable for me was in Pre-Searing. It kept the game interesting. I know ANet and some others may argue that there already are daily quests, such as replaying “random events”, however storyline makes things more interesting. They could tie that a bit into the storyline even as LS creates a whole new potential for things. Right now it is pretty restricted to Silverwastes and Dry Top. Although there are random Mordremoth events taking place around Tyria, I think it would be cool to add some effects of the LS events to the smaller portions that often go ignored like with the Skritt. The same events that have been happening since release have really lost their luster. The humans around Queensdale are in eternal, repetitive conflict with the centaurs and that’s great except that nothing ever changes. The same can be said of the conflict in Orr. The Pact and the Risen go at it day in, day out and nothing there changes either. Small quests or small quest lines could help bring interest back to the original core concepts of the game rather than the areas becoming stagnant.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Zealon.5814

Zealon.5814

I agree with endrance that the Daily boss bounty/missions etc from GW1 would be a nice way to provide a degree of randomness to current GW2 dailies. However, there may be substantial limitations for some players that cannot access certain mission areas.
Anet had a great idea when they went about creating a dynamic environment, but a lot of the events really are getting repetitive. Something like the K / L faction wars was a good way to keep things fresh in GW1, but I suppose we have WvW for that.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Endrance.1680

Endrance.1680

You’re totally right abut the limited access for some players, something I overlooked. Not entirely sure how they would work around that other than to perhaps have bounties/missions based on race. That is, players would obtain their mission/bounty from their home city and it could scale to level perhaps? It may take a bit of extra work and that is understandably a set back, but there could be a way to tweak it. Just to piggy back off of what you said Zealon, the K/L faction wars was great. Boundaries changed throughout the day on the entire map. It was all very live and made it feel a bit more…important? Or realistic perhaps. That the game was changing around us based on the players.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Chaplin.6275

Chaplin.6275

I really dig the oracle idea but sadly I’d miss out on that too. My GW1 account was banned a long time ago because some curiosity got the best of me therefore I have nothing going for me in the Hall. Great suggestion though I’d love to see daily content being delivered in a better way.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: DZx.4927

DZx.4927

I think that’s a pretty interesting idea, is this been considered?

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

i had no idea there was so much to do in pre-searing gw1, i’ll have to check it out sometime.. also, the scrying pool point of interest in gw2 doesn’t contribute toward map completion and it’s sad how many people don’t know travel there doesn’t require a gw1 account.. anyway, it was just an idea.. they could implement quests from racial cities, or just drop a generic npc in open world i suppose.. what would be simpler, i dunno

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: mesquitad.6845

mesquitad.6845

Yes, I agree. Implementing more quests in any way would be good, PvE needs good, solid content.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Sorel.4517

Sorel.4517

I think that it’s a good idea, but i would take a lot of effort to make that come to life because the best way to implement it would be to create a ton of them and then randomize them throughout the player base not to create zergs completing the same dailies, Theoretically it would be a good way to create a more “living world” as it would spread people in some empty maps and make the experience better for newer players / leveling alt characters.

I personnaly don’t think it’ll get implemented and here’s why: Arenanet has chosen living world updates over that kind of filler content. In another MMO where content gets more stale waiting for the next expansion for example, these kind of quests that re-uses already existing assets are perfect filler content. Although with the living world updates, Anet creates new maps (Silverwastes <3) where they want the community to work together towards a goal instead of splitting the community throughout the whole pre-existing content wich I also believe to be a better gaming experience.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Delgado.4362

Delgado.4362

That is a very good idea because it challenges the player to get the daily chest since its not hard to get the chest and you already have some challenging aspects of the game so why not one more. I mean the chest can be obtained by just running around and if you do map clear you will have almost all five od the daily’s before you are half way done with the first map.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Lance.4623

Lance.4623

How about increased rewards for doing harder quests?

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Sparks The Rescue.5043

Sparks The Rescue.5043

Great suggestion, I’d love to see something of this sort implemented alongside the normal dailies. As of currently, I enjoy the WvW dailies the most because they have purpose and accomplish a specific task (eg, capture a tower, keep, etc) and are more interactive than just recycler or daily gatherer. They implemented a quest rotation system in pre-searing Ascalon in GW1 and it was a well received, positive change by the player base. I’d really like to see something like this implemented for the daily system in Guild Wars 2, as well.

I’d say at the least, however, keep the current dailies for the players that want them and enjoy them, and group them up for 2 or 3 per 1 AP and offer the quests for 1 daily AP or scaling the difficulty for higher AP / daily rewards. I think this would really get players involved in the maps and in the events and give a purpose-driven daily system.

(edited by Sparks The Rescue.5043)

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Conaywea.5062

Conaywea.5062

I agree with this , im tired of the same dailies , quest could be a better way to earn them

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Mario Lemieux.9107

Mario Lemieux.9107

I totally agree with OP.

(I havent read every single comment here, so some things may have been mentioned) As some have mentioned, Guild Wars 1 had a daily system, the “Zaishen” dailies. There was 1 of each: Bounty, Combat, Mission, Vanquish. The rewards were experience, some gold, some sort of faction (currency), and some Zaishen coins, which were exchangeable for a variety of goods, including salvage kits, experience scrolls, equipment bags, even some weapon skins and items that counted towards titles.

Since Anet already have a system like that running in GW1, it wouldn’t be too much of a challenge to integrate a daily system like that, and reward players similarly.

For example:

Bounty = Kill world champ X.
Combat = Something PvP related.
Dungeon = Finish Path X in Dungeon X.
Slayer = Kill 30 ettins today (would make it an interesting way to slowly work towards a Slayer achievement as well)
Fun = Finish jumping puzzle X or mini-dungeon X.

This could even extend to having a weekly reward for killing Tequatl or Triple Trouble Wurm.

Finishing those daily “quests” could reward you with, just like the GW1 quests, a little but of experience, some silver, some karma, and also a token, as OP mentioned, comparable to the Zaishen coin system, which you could accumulate and eventually exchange for things like boosters (exp, karma, magic find, etc), skillpoint/level scrolls, salvaging equipment, ascended mats, obs shards, t6 materials, etc. Things that are already offered with laurels, but this would be a way more entertaining way to do it. Vanity items like minis and skins could also be offered for more coins, etc. Even some collection items could be sold for this currency, in fact a collection could even be solely attached to this daily quest system with its own unique reward for completing a certain amount of the challenging daily quests. The possibilities could be far greater than what im mentioning here.

And just like GW1, the quests could have varying difficulty tiers. The harder the tier you complete, the more “tokens” you get.

This would be able to accommodate a variety of the GW2 playerbase and allow players to really pick and choose what specific content they want to do for their rewards, rather than “dodge 30 times” as the OP so aptly put it, and would likely prompt more to login more frequently.

(edited by Mario Lemieux.9107)

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Witterquick.1026

Witterquick.1026

Ooooh!! Yeah, I really miss the Zaishen quests from GW1! That would be a great addition. 8-)

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Balthazar.3907

Balthazar.3907

Bump

I agree I think end game players need more content because otherwise you’re gonna lose player base. Either implement more pvp games or even increase level cap to 90

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: ledark.1460

ledark.1460

I miss Zkeys from part 1 if I can just grind PVP honestly or even PVE to get just 1 Zkey to a random chest that gives me anything in the game random! I’d play a billion hours… Dailies should give this Zkey hahaha sorry big gw1 fan I miss it…

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Luzano.6983

Luzano.6983

A daily bounty or reach a couple of the guild trek spots would be a nice addition.

[GF] / [Guam] Alaiii – Jackie Lautchang – Luzano

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Eliam.2834

Eliam.2834

I think this could prove to be an interesting idea… Not only would it improve on the current daily system by giving players something “new” to do every day, but it also could favor A-net. The implementation of this would allow them to direct the player base towards areas of the world that usually see less activity. This could be useful in bringing life back to certain areas of the game.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Karou.7483

Karou.7483

Personally I like the idea, adding another token would make things a bit more of a hassle but could be done. referencing the time-gating issue, that would need to be addressed unless per say you could be thrown in to a map where that event is very close to happening, that could help with the time-gate issue but that’s just my thought.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Silhouette.5631

Silhouette.5631

Updating the dailies to be more quest like would be amazing…
Pros:
More chances to implement npc dialogue. Could lead to learning some more about these guys than “Hi, my name is guard, I guard stuff” (Not that all the npcs are like this, far from it, but you know what im talkin about)

Make the word seem less cycleish. GW2 is far from stagnant, but after you play for awhile you realize everybody is in this creepy pattern of advancing forward and falling back shiver even the people in orr depsite the fact that you’ve killed zaitan

Cons
Obviously this would take time and development, which Anet seems to be crunched on already (because they’ve decided to fill their plates with such big challanges)

If a quest included something like “Go kill this boss” EVERYBODY would be there waiting for it, now i’m not sure if this would be a good or bad thing honestly, could be fun for the community, or could lead to some really unsatisfying bossfights.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Meriem.3504

Meriem.3504

I think this could prove to be an interesting idea… Not only would it improve on the current daily system by giving players something “new” to do every day, but it also could favor A-net. The implementation of this would allow them to direct the player base towards areas of the world that usually see less activity. This could be useful in bringing life back to certain areas of the game.

I like this idea, going to different areas rather then run in and run out. A nice little adventure would be neat.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Evion.2471

Evion.2471

to put things into perspective, i’ve heard arena net praised for the new maps and they should “put a geode/badges vendor on all the older maps.” this far along in the game, pun intended, i don’t see the player community logistically taking well to that approach

I like the idea of new dailies, and trying something new, instead of just “Complete this, dodge this”. But I’m not that fond of the new maps, they rehash too much, I’d love actually seeing like “Complete this event, in this land. Or Do this random mission we implemented for dailies in a preexisting area.” I think it’d be a great way to get people to do more map completion, and spread out user base, instead of “Dungeon dungeon dungeon, world boss world boss world boss.” The zerg gets old. It gets old people.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Katsuro.9182

Katsuro.9182

This is actually a really good idea, it would liven the experience for sure! I would enjoy doing some sort of daily quest.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Phelan.9256

Phelan.9256

Honestly I think this is a fantastic idea and would love to see it implemented!

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: GiraffricanAmerican.3425

GiraffricanAmerican.3425

I like this idea alot. I, for one, have literally every single achievement there is to get outside of wvw achieves and champion brawler. Yes, including giant slayer and all the weapon masters, eotm, and activities. Since the Daily cap limited actual AP to be earned through doing dailies (which btw Anet we are not fond of) doing something like this would give people a chance to earn AP again outside of 12 AP a day and incentive to revisit the otherwise dull PvE content. Adding something like small daily quest and offering like 3 AP in return would not only spark my interest in doing dailies again but would add something interesting to PvE aside from the 2 hour living story content available only 2 times a month.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Yeah I think this could be a good idea in implementation. Some variety is always nice, especially when it spans all game formats more cleanly than what we currently have.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: AmFah.4389

AmFah.4389

What do you mean daily quest? I thought there was already a daily for completing quests. Or do you mean specific quests that we could do, like Zaishen/Vanquish bounties from GW1. I wouldn’t mind something like that. Also, I was thinking earlier about how daily content could be profession specific. Engineer explode x amount of turrets, Eles use x amount of conjures. That would be cool too.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Animas.1275

Animas.1275

I think this is a really neat idea that would help freshen up the dailies which I have become bored of. I really don’t even pay attention to them anymore and just hope that I get them while doing my normal grinding. I fully support this idea.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Firepants.4610

Firepants.4610

I think Anet really likes their “Living-Story” idea as a replacement for quests, however, I like the idea of it tapping into the GW lore, there are stories I think that could have a little more expansion, even if its just a small tangent, that this idea may help with.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Dr Jekyl.6139

Dr Jekyl.6139

Agreed. good post

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: alandaog.8903

alandaog.8903

I would also really like to see these changes OP is suggesting!

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: CaptainBadass.3628

CaptainBadass.3628

I really like the idea of daily quests, but they certainly shouldn’t be renown heart tasks in length. That’s too short, in my opinion. I also don’t know why they would have to be linked to a home instance, unless that’s simply a beginning point. I favour a long quest or series of quests, say an hour in length per “episode.” I think it would be a great way for Arenanet to flash new regions they plan to open later. Ultimately, if the content wasn’t compatible with future plans, so what? It was just a field that can only be accessed through the quest. It needn’t clutter the map. Southsun doesn’t. The quests would provide interesting and unique places to explore as well as a bit of Tyrian history that SHOULD be distinct from the larger Living World storylines. It would be nice to stop hearing about Charr and humans and norn and asura and their storylines we have heard all too often. There should be a lore-based storyline, and it could for example cover a new race? a new magic? whatever. Anet developers could test potential material that’s not part of the major story, and see how far they wish to take it. This is probably not realistic of me to suggest. In any case, I think for those sick of daily gating and grinding, it might be nice to have an untimed quest series, one that people could do as quickly or slowly as they liked, and as often or not as they like. An open-ended “grind” through the new with different parameters would be great. Achievements like those in the Living World episodes could be introduced for those who wished to repeat, etc.

The reward system could be similar to a pvp path or something, but instead of currency like laurels, there would be new items and coins and tier whatever materials. These could be dropped according to the tripartite split in cultural gear, and they could link to the region and themes of the quests. New skins, armours, weapons would be very welcome. Each level could correspond to 35, 60, 80. It could be a class feature like the dungeons are now. For Anet to monetise it one need simply to introduce related items in the gem store. Once the items entered the economy Anet would still earn from gp and gem selling.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Azrael.5134

Azrael.5134

I’m all for this. I actually think if they released an expansion and we paid for it, would be the way to go. That way we get a whole bunch of new stuff and they get an injection of cash to continue making a great game.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

As someone who still logs in and completes dailies pretty much everyday since launch and is starting to feel less than motivated to keep doing so, I think the OP’s suggestion or something very similar would help to remotivate a lot of players.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

hmm…

as far as the original idea goes… I do think raising awareness of lesser-seen areas is always a good idea. But if you’re going to tie it to specific events, you may see some push back from the players when they find themselves all standing around in one place waiting for a chain to restart.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: SilentAssassin.7425

SilentAssassin.7425

Yeah, as of now the dailies seem kinda bland. Maybe have some more region specific content, eg. delivered via op’s quest system would be cool.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: zuldar.3071

zuldar.3071

Not a bad idea at all, though I might suggest expanding it. You could add unlocking random parts of the map such as vistas and points of interest that you are missing to the possible quests. This will encourage players to do things they haven’t done before, and see more of the game.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: michelleb.4360

michelleb.4360

I love the idea of quests involving lore. I’m not big on reading into the lore but being immersed in it with daily quests would be fantastic.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: vittiesntodka.8576

vittiesntodka.8576

Daily quest would also help re-engage players who are coming back from a long time away. I recently came back from close to an 18 month break and I am often confused by things i encounter or stuff people discuss in chat. Some of these quest I’ve stumbled into others I have not. Much like keeping people using various mechanics daily quest would keep them viewing content they might not have done for a while or ever.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Frdmnky.2754

Frdmnky.2754

The daily this and thats are, I feel, a throw-bone to the “hardcore” crowd that feel a grind is their primary reason to logging on. Making them exploration grinds will make them some sort of map completion, and without a stronger questing framework or a simply staggering variety of quests, it too will just be an even more annoying grind.

When you hear people complain, from a game design point, you want to try and think about what the mechanics they are griping about actually do and what their general feelings mean about them. In this case, it’s to add a feeling of lost progress potential that drives MMO compulsion, so that GW2 is not totally lacking in appeal to the grind-type crowd that need their MMOs packaged like meth. More critically, it also gives a default place to start when you log in so that, maybe, you’ll think of something else you actually WANT to do while doing them and then do that too, or get invited by some guildies to something fun.

I do think something like the pure role-playing MMOs would be awesome, like actual living and dynamic events that don’t run like clockwork but rather like new daily quests. But that’s an exponential amount of effort we’re talking about there.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Next Spirit.2894

Next Spirit.2894

Gosh, I would love for more daily rewards. Right now it’s ok for me as it is since I wont be capped for many moons but the more achievements means the faster I can get to 10k and beyond! At this rate, maaaaybe next year. But if I were to get more rewards then i’d have more incentive to do ALL of the dailys instead of doing 5 and not caring anymore. I approve of this and demand more AP! :P

(edited by Next Spirit.2894)

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Randomocity.2149

Randomocity.2149

So, would it update every few seconds or so to only suggest events that have just begun, and offer teleportation to those events? Or would it just recommend some random events each day, and tell you to start walking?

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: DeadSilence.4870

DeadSilence.4870

I, personally would love something a bit more than just “kill this many enemies” or “earn such and such amount of skill points”. It gets old fast and seeing something new such as little side-quests or just something that isn’t so vague as to what you need to do would make me a lot more interested in doing the content to enjoy it and not just to have it out of the way. Grinds generally dont appeal to me, so having a larger diversity of things to do while trying to finish my daily tasks would be nice.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Sun Phoenix.2834

Sun Phoenix.2834

I completely agree!

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Drath.4750

Drath.4750

Quests could kill two birds with one stone. Make dailies more interesting by getting rid of the current trait quests and adding those as the new daily quests. Improve the traits by reverting to the old model or having them unlock with skill points only so players can choose between traits and skills as they level.

This is a great idea.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: UnbornMadness.6743

UnbornMadness.6743

I do believe the game could use some of these things to make it more enjoyable. I am new to the game, and still haven’t experienced all of it, but I sometimes get burnt out from playing. I sometimes wish there were more things to do at lower levels that are more noob friendly.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

This is an interesting post, and reading it has just earned me 5g!

EDIT: 5g was never received. If you’re going to try to buy a thread bump in Lion’s Arch, at least follow through with the payment.

Update: I did receive the 5g! Sent it back, though. Just wanted to be able to verify one way or another if this user was scamming in Lion’s Arch. You can now bump with confidence, folks!

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

(edited by Guhracie.3419)

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Suggesting again a title change for more exposure as it is now it does not fully convey the intent and purpose of the thread. I fully endorse and support a lot of the ideas in this thread and feel it should be taken notice of.

[sugg] dailies

Posted by: asiargento.1756

asiargento.1756

I found this be a very cool suggestion instead or for the daily that you could quest instead of using a way point to a random map to farm unnecessary resources(can you say grind).

I think it would be a great choice/ suggestion.