[suggestion] $15/month = no diminished returns...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: dodgycookies.4562

dodgycookies.4562

wouldn’t this make prices crash rather than go up? (think queens pavallion last year) i mean most of the money i get from drops isn’t in the form of coin but rather mats or blue/green gear that is salvaged into mats. Only gold drop dr implemented was in dungeons/gauntlet bag farm, but they fixed that with the whole daily bonus chests and boss table changes. Or champ bags i guess.

[ICoa] Blackgate

(edited by dodgycookies.4562)

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

Just to clarify:

The OP seems to be suggesting an option to spend real world money to increase his in game wealth…

…An option that already exists.

$15 month converted into gems = 1200 gems = 96 gold

not only a pathetically low amount of gold, but that’s being GENEROUS, as i used 8g/100gem to calculate that, and 8g is a roundup of the average price. in reality you’d get even less than 96g

now another figure…

$15 month for VIP access = unlimited potential for gold, limited only by your dedication to ACTUALLY PLAYING the game content, which last time i checked, is the purpose of a video game. to actually play it. and you know, get rewarded for A C T U A L L Y P L A Y I N G I T.

seriously people, can we use our brains a little bit before posting anymore replies such as this one? this is getting exhausting.

Going to stop you right there, at the bolded part. Because let’s be honest, you don’t really care about playing the game as you claim. You only want some material good out of your work every time you log in. You want the best of the best of things by forking over a bit more real money to do so, and regardless of how some things might be gained or earned through luck admittedly, to provide an optional ‘VIP service’ to players who want to have a huge advantage at gaining such treasures would completely invalidate any amount of ‘rarity’ and ‘wonder’ about said items for everyone.

Instead of saying “Wow, either that guy got lucky, or he bought that Bolt through whatever means, either way props. Lots of people don’t even have it.” instead we would get “Got ourselves a VIP huh? Look at that full set Wurmslayer Ascended and couple legendaries. There is no real way to tell if he put in any real effort at killing Wurm more than three times for that gear. God, everyone who wears those items is a buyer, there are no good hard-to-find items anymore…”

Your new system would destroy any semblance of having to put forth time and effort into a game. This isn’t even a matter of discussion, you are offering not a suggestion that benefits the game in any manner but would systematically destroy it. It is an atrocious, gross-misinterpretation of what GW2 and any GOOD MMO ought to do in the future.

I really, REALLY want a red to close this thread, it is not even worth a glance over, and it is likely going to cause some toxicity from the sheer audacity of such an idea.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

Haha, to remove all DR would be insane. If you stop playing for awhile, you see how extreme the DR really is. When I first started playing my necro again after about a year, I was getting more rares from trash than greens. 6 rares, 1 green, in about 20 min in Sparkfly Fen. Did a dungeon today on my warrior after about a week of not even signing in on her, first boss dropped two rares…

Posted by: Lankybrit.4598

Lankybrit.4598

Instead of $15 per month, allow it to be paid with a certain amount of Gems per month.

My Life in Tyria: http://lankygw2blog.blogspot.com/
Updated every Monday

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

You can already spend $15 per month on gems and get whatever you want from the trading post. It’s really simple. Just do it if you really want to convert your real life money/time into virtual goods. You’ll probably have lots of time left to do the things you enjoy in game, whether it’s farming or anything else.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Yes, spending $15 per month can generate in game gold through the gem to gold conversion process. That is what I said in the post you quoted.

not only a pathetically low amount of gold, but that’s being GENEROUS, as i used 8g/100gem to calculate that, and 8g is a roundup of the average price. in reality you’d get even less than 96g

Not everyone would agree with you that 96G is a, “pathetic,” amount. Even so this portion of your post paints the complaint in an entirely new light. Apparently, from what you are saying, the issue is that the already in existence method for converting real world currency to in game gold does not give you enough of a return for your dollar. You (apparently) think that money spent should provide more of an economic advantage over others than it currently does.

which last time i checked, is the purpose of a video game.

You might want to check again.

Posted by: nolij.4327

nolij.4327

Yes, spending $15 per month can generate in game gold through the gem to gold conversion process. That is what I said in the post you quoted.

Not everyone would agree with you that 96G is a, “pathetic,” amount. Even so this portion of your post paints the complaint in an entirely new light. Apparently, from what you are saying, the issue is that the already in existence method for converting real world currency to in game gold does not give you enough of a return for your dollar. You (apparently) think that money spent should provide more of an economic advantage over others than it currently does.

which last time i checked, is the purpose of a video game.

You might want to check again.

trust me, this thread has been my check.

i now know that the purpose of a game is to not play it, but go on the forums and tell other people that they’re stupid for wanting to play it.

instead of playing it, i should instead not play it, and then when i want to earn rewards within the game, i should pump obscene amounts of money into it, and then continue to not play it.

okay thanks for all the info everyone. it’s been a pleasure hosting this thread.

potatoes gon’ potate

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

You’re welcome.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

No. I don’t want people who pay a subscription fee to find more success/profit in the game than those who don’t. And judging from how GW2’s financial model works, neither does ArenaNet.

This is a buy-to-play, no-sub game. You can purchase non-mandatory conveniences and aesthetic perks with real money, but that’s it. If you really want to, you have the option to purchase gold with gems. The exchange rate isn’t phenomenal, ON PURPOSE. You seem to have money to throw around, if you need the gold that badly you can just spend a little more.

People already farm for gold incessantly, and there is already a large divide between the rich and the poor in terms of gold. You allow farmers and people with real cash to get even more of a leg up on everybody else, and it will ruin the game for most people. I mean, just the trading post prices alone will be completely screwed up.

Your idea is horrible. You do not “know better” than ArenaNet. Please stop trying to ruin the game and buy your way to success in GW2.

(edited by Fyrebrand.4859)

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

Answer to the opening post: No. No, no, no, no, no.

nolij.4327

yes, that is the definition of an MMORPG. i think you were trying to make a witty retort to my idea, but in an ironic and hilarious twist, you’ve just fully supported it instead

Here is the dream ‘MMORPG’ you have been looking for, then.

You can thank me later.

Lol thanks for that, enjoying it. been letting it run for about 5 hours now and it’s giving me a good giggle every time i check it

potatoes gon’ potate

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

DR should not be felt by players, only by bots.

…and the people that are begging to play like bots.

Uhm absolutely not. Stop being part of the problem. Legit farmers are not the issue, they never have been. It’s a stigma that’s oddly solely been propagated here in this title. I’ve not seen it in any other game, not even the sub and F2P games I play off and on.

If the community wants to blame anything for the pricing in the TP blame the gold that’s coming in from outside sources, like Gem sales. This “Farmers should all go play something else because they are the devil” nonsense needs to go.

Let me also say that DR has removed exactly 0 bots since it was put into the game, exactly like all of the other historical counts of it’s use in mmo’s and other multiplayer pc games. If we took into account their reasoning for placing it in the game, it’s failed miserably as a gold seller prevention system.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

nolij.4327

Uhm absolutely not. Stop being part of the problem. Legit farmers are not the issue, they never have been. It’s a stigma that’s oddly solely been propagated here in this title. I’ve not seen it in any other game, not even the sub and F2P games I play off and on.

If the community wants to blame anything for the pricing in the TP blame the gold that’s coming in from outside sources, like Gem sales. This “Farmers should all go play something else because they are the devil” nonsense needs to go.

Let me also say that DR has removed exactly 0 bots since it was put into the game, exactly like all of the other historical counts of it’s use in mmo’s and other multiplayer pc games. If we took into account their reasoning for placing it in the game, it’s failed miserably as a gold seller prevention system.

my gosh, tigirius. you’re like a breath of fresh mountain air, in a thread that is otherwise filled with smoggy factory fumes and cancerous chemical inhalants.

you’re like a clean mountain stream flowing through an area that has been inundated with radioactive waste. you’re a voice of reason, when i’m otherwise surrounded by casuals and people so clueless about how online gaming works that i’m wondering if they even own a computer or if they’re just posting from their phone.

basically i’m saying thanks for the support on the topic

potatoes gon’ potate

Posted by: havok.1528

havok.1528

Disagree, I have seen less bots since DR was introduced.

It’s logical that no DR = more botting.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

It’s been enlightening how nolij only focuses on the posts that he thinks he has a chance of rebutting but any of the posts that actually seriously debunk his proposal with economic principles are basically flying over his headignored.

Edit: removing the ad hominem as unnecessary.

Posted by: Devik.9852

Devik.9852

tbh I don’t understand why you’d write this post at all. That clearly would never happen.

Microtransactions = $$$

Anet cut every way for casual players to make a good amount of gold from holidays that were harshly cut to farming.

This is by design, not that it just happens to go that way. They want you to spend a lot of money on gems. Just $25 here, $25 there..

This is why I don’t suggest GW2 to anyone – ever.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

The salient points on why this is a really bad idea, minus the parts that earned me an infraction

- Cash → gems → gold fluctuates depending on the market but prevents runaway inflation due to the relatively low conversion ratio
- A $15 a month subscription allows a direct injection of gold into the economy for a flat cost.
- Those who take up this offer (and many will) will cause an even bigger divide between those who have large reserves of gold
- Farmers will make the most of this with optimised farming techniques
- Potential for near unlimited amounts of gold to flood the economy leads to runaway inflation, driving away players who do not subscribe.
- Rather than help Anet, this will hurt their business as they will be creating gem store content that players will not need to buy gems with real cash. The gold they bring in from farming will more than easily pay for anything they want.

Basically, the “option” of a $15 subscription will not be an option at all if one wants to be able to buy anything. If you want to see what run away inflation does to a game, look at D3 and that was free to play but wanting any high end equipment cost upwards of 100million gold.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Disagree, I have seen less bots since DR was introduced.

It’s logical that no DR = more botting.

Tell that to all the gold sellers in the main cities who spam people a million times a minute. Seriously, you’re missing out on all the bot fun, or the ones in the frozen north that have never really gone away.

Their still here, DR did nothing, and it’s not limited to this game the evidence has a long history.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Keysha.2815

Keysha.2815

Not interested. If you want a pay to win game, go play something else.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Wha? Waaaaiiiiit a minute……..

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)