[suggestion] Black Lion Trading Post captcha

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Milkshake.4038

Milkshake.4038

I had a free week, so I decided to play the TP a bit, creating a lot of buy orders. It seems that a few players are controlling a huge part of the trading post, making hundreds of golds every day.

These players can update their buy orders really fast. It took me about 30 minutes to refresh my 120-140 orders, but when I finished, a lot of them were already overbid by 1 copper. As I wanted the best gold/hour for myself I started thinking… how is it possible to react so fast and how can I copy their strategy?

I came up with an idea using gw2tp to be able to track my orders. It was simple and effective, it helped me a lot, but it was still too slow because prices aren’t refreshed every minute on the site. I still have no idea how is it possible to manage a huge number of orders. When I left the market and removed my buy orders, suddenly the crazy overbidding stopped and now most of the prices are decreasing slowly.

As I was browsing I found some unauthorized 3rd party softwares which offered solution to this problem, making the whole process automated. I know anet is working hard to find all of these and ban their users, but I would suggest to implement a captcha or similar tool to prevent placing too many buy orders with just mouse clicks. I mean after placing 10-20 orders, so it wouldn’t be annoying, but it would hurt those who try to cheat.

Would it help the economy to implement such a feature? What do you think?

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

NO. kittening NO. dont you dare even suggest it. People are not “super fast” in overbidding you. there are MILLIONS OF PLAYERS. its not 10 that are fast. get out

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

A vehement response like that might suggest that you are using one of these. But then again I do work in network security and that just makes you suspect in my eyes.

I’d be all for it for both Buying and Selling. Make it at random intervals too.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

no, i just kittening hate captchas with every fiber of my being. dont you kittening dare bring that annoying glitchy kitten obnoxious kitten into a lovely game. kitten you.

Posted by: foxtrot.6531

foxtrot.6531

I personally wouldn’t worry about people over bidding you on buy orders. I just put a ton out there, and sit back and wait. I got better things to do then sit there and watch them. The next day, I get about 50% of my buy orders, which is just fine for me. Don’t sit there and watch them dude, that has to be painful.

Milkshake.4038

I personally wouldn’t worry about people over bidding you on buy orders. I just put a ton out there, and sit back and wait. I got better things to do then sit there and watch them. The next day, I get about 50% of my buy orders, which is just fine for me. Don’t sit there and watch them dude, that has to be painful.

That’s what I did at first, I created 120 orders, went to play and enjoy the game and after 30-60 minutes only 10-20 were on top. And it happened again and again and again… The important thing is: if there would be millions of players trading, why are those prices so low? They should be way closer to the point where you barely make profit, but if you are overbid quickly then you can’t earn any gold, so you will leave this section of the market and try other ways. Time is precious, and human beings don’t have unlimited time.

I agree that enjoying the game is the most important, I really enjoy trading and crafting and I am happy with the amount of gold I made in 1 week.

Posted by: Lampshade.7569

Lampshade.7569

If completing the captcha meant the timer is reset then absolutely yes. I run into it at least two times just by selling daily fractal loot.

Milkshake.4038

A vehement response like that might suggest that you are using one of these. But then again I do work in network security and that just makes you suspect in my eyes.

Random intervals is a nice idea. I am sure anet can come up with a fast, easy and not annoying solution.

Milkshake.4038

If completing the captcha meant the timer is reset then absolutely yes. I run into it at least two times just by selling daily fractal loot.

I agree, that timer is really annoying if you want to empty your inventory.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

May I ask what your 100+ orders consisted of?

Milkshake.4038

Send me a message if you need some help how to invest your gold.

Ayrilana.1396

Send me a message if you need some help how to invest your gold.

I’m not asking for help. I was just trying to determine what it was that you were placing orders for which would shed light on why you were quickly outbid. If you were placing orders on items that have a high turnover then of course you’d get outbid. I constantly get outbid on items such as charged lodestones.

Milkshake.4038

I’m not asking for help. I was just trying to determine what it was that you were placing orders for which would shed light on why you were quickly outbid. If you were placing orders on items that have a high turnover then of course you’d get outbid. I constantly get outbid on items such as charged lodestones.

Oh, okay. Compared to charged lodestones these items have very low turnover, low supply and low demand.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Anything that inhibits use of the system I would discourage. Captcha is the worst I could imagine.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Ayrilana.1396

Oh, okay. Compared to charged lodestones these items have very low turnover, low supply and low demand.

Then that could be something I would consider questioning. I would still take into account that a lot of players using the TP throughout the day so maybe you just experienced bad luck and had one or two very persist players. I sometimes babysit orders that I need filled because I don’t want to wait but don’t want to outright buy them.

Milkshake.4038

Then that could be something I would consider questioning. I would still take into account that a lot of players using the TP throughout the day so maybe you just experienced bad luck and had one or two very persist players. I sometimes babysit orders that I need filled because I don’t want to wait but don’t want to outright buy them.

I don’t think that it is bad luck. it lasted for a week, I had enough time to observe it. You can see the pattern of other orders (quantity, price, timing) and you can distinguish different strategies and players. If you use the laggy and slow TP it would take ages to check every order manually. I just don’t know how is it possible to manage hundreds of orders easily.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

If you can think of using external program to alarm you, I’m sure other people can to.

But captcha is an interesting idea.

I think you have to live with it though. Even real life stock have bots that use technology to get ahead of competition using faster transmission speed.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I’d recommend pricing items appropriately. And waiting. Bot or no bot, you got outbid. Leave the system alone.

Also, I’d recommend if there is a limiter, it’s to the number of buy-sell orders available. That would hedge in the number/quantity of orders botters can invest in. Maybe JS has the average number of active sales per player listed somewhere.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

laokoko.7403

Someone talk about it before. He says he and his guild got banned for it.

I would suggest just invest better. You don’t even need to flip 150 items. Some times investing in one item can pay of, just more risky.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

NO. kittening NO. dont you dare even suggest it. People are not “super fast” in overbidding you. there are MILLIONS OF PLAYERS. its not 10 that are fast. get out

lol millions of players. Good one.

GW2 has probably never had more than around 1 million active players with the peaks likely around launch and right at HoT. The number has since diminished.

The game likely has at most 20-30 thousand concurrent players during obvious prime times. Of those, a very small portion is actively posting flip buy orders.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Milkshake.4038

I’d recommend pricing items appropriately. And waiting. Bot or no bot, you got outbid. Leave the system alone.

Also, I’d recommend if there is a limiter, it’s to the number of buy-sell orders available. That would hedge in the number/quantity of orders botters can invest in. Maybe JS has the average number of active sales per player listed somewhere.

I don’t agree with the first part of your comment. I would like to make a simple example:

I can make 30s profit with buying 1 item and I buy 20/hour of it. If I raise the price by 20s, my profit will be only 10s, so I will have to buy at least 60/hour to have the same profit (or even more, because if I sell a lot it will increase supply and price will go down). It would ruin my and everyone else’s business. Well, I can try that, to see how they react.

The second part of your comment is an interesting idea, but it would give advantage to those who have multiple accounts.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Oh God no to capcha. Most of the money that players make on the TP is because other players let them by selling to highest bidder rather than placing a sale as well as buying lowest sale item rather than placing a bid.

I place bids, collect purchases, manipulate what I just bought (salvage, craft, promote, unbundle) and place sell orders with what I get when I’m done manipulating. Simply taking advantage of the gap between buy and sell (aka flipping) isn’t the only or most profitable way to “play” the TP. It’s more than three dozen and that doesn’t include the items I get while playing that I sell.

This is yet another “I can’t/don’t want to use the TP to earn money so lets punish those that do” thread. It’s been a while.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Milkshake.4038

Someone talk about it before. He says he and his guild got banned for it.

I would suggest just invest better. You don’t even need to flip 150 items. Some times investing in one item can pay of, just more risky.

If I knew a better investment I would do that. It is not just simple flipping, I’ll tell you an example: a few weeks ago I made some gold with the following: I bought Charged Cores because they were very cheap, upgraded to Lodestones, crafted Superior Rune of the Scholar and sold them. It was nice, until I made too many and flooded the market

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I am still working on the the voodoo dolls for whoever implemented all these stupid confirmations that are already in the game…

Milkshake.4038

Oh God no to capcha. Most of the money that players make on the TP is because other players let them by selling to highest bidder rather than placing a sale as well as buying lowest sale item rather than placing a bid.

I place bids, collect purchases, manipulate what I just bought (salvage, craft, promote, unbundle) and place sell orders with what I get when I’m done manipulating. Simply taking advantage of the gap between buy and sell (aka flipping) isn’t the only or most profitable way to “play” the TP. It’s more than three dozen and that doesn’t include the items I get while playing that I sell.

This is yet another “I can’t/don’t want to use the TP to earn money so lets punish those that do” thread. It’s been a while.

I am disappointed that you have this conclusion after reading my post.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

No.

• Anyone already using automation would be barely slowed down.
  • The rest of us would be horribly annoyed often.

The biggest problem with the suggestion is that it’s based on misunderstanding what’s going on in a global economy with tens of thousands of active players using the TP (perhaps hundreds of thousands).

While it is very frustrating to be overbid in several markets at once, it’s not uncommon and the healthier (and ‘fairer’) the economy is, the more likely it will happen.

It seems that a few players are controlling a huge part of the trading post, making hundreds of golds every day.

Some players make a lot, because of savvy investments. That’s not evidence that they control parts of the TP, let alone “a huge part”.

These players can update their buy orders really fast. It took me about 30 minutes to refresh my 120-140 orders, but when I finished, a lot of them were already overbid by 1 copper. As I wanted the best gold/hour for myself I started thinking… how is it possible to react so fast and how can I copy their strategy?

The most common techniques use multiple accounts, fast machines (and browsers), and awesome muscle memory.

Even if you were overbid on 120 different buy orders, it doesn’t mean that any single player is controlling anything. I invest in probably a dozen markets and I know for a fact that I’m overbid by some people who only invest in one market at a time — there are just so many people playing the game that it’s really rare for there to be no competition for any given item, unless that item doesn’t trade frequently.

If you don’t want to be overbid by 1c, you need to offer more in the first place.

I came up with an idea using gw2tp to be able to track my orders. It was simple and effective, it helped me a lot, but it was still too slow because prices aren’t refreshed every minute on the site. I still have no idea how is it possible to manage a huge number of orders. When I left the market and removed my buy orders, suddenly the crazy overbidding stopped and now most of the prices are decreasing slowly.

Some people have written code (or made use of open source code) to read the game’s API, so they are getting data about as fast as it’s available in game (technically, it’s not instantaneous, but for this post’s purposes, we can treat it as such).

As I was browsing I found some unauthorized 3rd party softwares which offered solution to this problem, making the whole process automated. I know anet is working hard to find all of these and ban their users, but I would suggest to implement a captcha or similar tool to prevent placing too many buy orders with just mouse clicks. I mean after placing 10-20 orders, so it wouldn’t be annoying, but it would hurt those who try to cheat.

There are also unauthorized websites offer to send help to the starving children of [fill in the blank] or 911 firefighters or offering to double your money (guaranteed!) with no risk. That doesn’t mean they actually deliver.

Even if the websites do offer these services, it doesn’t mean that people use them to good effect or that they don’t get caught. Or even that they control the economy, in small or large part. Again, the fact that you are overbid in some particular market is only evidence that there are other people playing the game.

No. It would hurt legit players more than it harms illegit ones and even the very concept is based off an incorrect interpretation of the limited experiences offered by the OP.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Milkshake.4038

I made an experiment in the past few hours, with simple flippable items, all of them had >90s spread and >60% profit initially. I raised the prices aggessively until I reached almost 0 profit.

https://www.gw2tp.com/item/46202-dire-pearl-carver
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/46201-rabid-pearl-carver
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/26134-berserkers-iron-dagger-of-rage

I attached one of the graphs, because after some time prices will change. As you can see other orders have the same quantities, 11 and 31 (sometimes 11 is only 10, because of a purchase, but it will go back to 11 in a few minutes). My order is the 3rd one with 1 item.

Is it good for them? Having 9 copper profit from an exotic dagger? They put 27g & 75g in buy orders to make a really tiny profit. Maybe these daggers will go to the MF to get a Spark, but if the chance is 0,79% (from wiki), then it wouldn’t be as profitable as simple flipping. (While I was writing someone bought a lot of daggers that made a larger profit for these orders).

If you see someone who is crazy and raising price fast, would you stop or keep overbidding?

While writing this, I noticed that the top order is raising by 1 copper every few minutes. 2g kitten 43c currently, and as you see on the screenshot it was only 40c. Why would any human being do this when there is no other bidder? And now 44c. Any explanation?

I looked closely, zoomed in the graph: in every 5 minutes there is a 1 copper raise. It happens exactly when the website refreshes the data, I checked it ingame. Exactly 5 minutes. On multiple items. Not possible if it is a human being. Someone please confirm that this happens.

Attachments:

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Random intervals is a nice idea. I am sure anet can come up with a fast, easy and not annoying solution.

You made me smile.

Milkshake.4038

No. It would hurt legit players more than it harms illegit ones and even the very concept is based off an incorrect interpretation of the limited experiences offered by the OP.

You made 2 statements, but you haven’t proved anything.

1. Why is a simple captcha more annoying than the current system when selling a lot of items? And we don’t have any information about the average number of buy orders. If it is 200 then yes, it can be annoying. If it is 20 then the majority of the players will never see this.

2. How do you know that I have limited experience? Do I look like a player who doesn’t know trading post mechanincs?

Behellagh.1468

By the evidence you produced to support your claim that it’s needed, you you do look like a player who doesn’t know trading post mechanics or at least the scope of how many players are using it as well as methods they use to “tag” their bid and websites that provide notifications about being outbid.

RIP City of Heroes

Milkshake.4038

By the evidence you produced to support your claim that it’s needed, you you do look like a player who doesn’t know trading post mechanics or at least the scope of how many players are using it as well as methods they use to “tag” their bid and websites that provide notifications about being outbid.

Read it again carefully please, you can also check the graph. Is it a human like behaviour to overbid your own bids 52 times when there are no other bidders? I know the possibilities of GW2 api, but then this shouldn’t happen. Can you explain it?

There are not as many players as you think. Mithril ore and elder wood log can be sold in seconds but these daggers have very low supply and demand.

Posted by: Werdx.2059

Werdx.2059

I had a free week, so I decided to play the TP a bit, creating a lot of buy orders. It seems that a few players are controlling a huge part of the trading post, making hundreds of golds every day.

Sorry,but its your fault being greedy,and making 120-140 orders…

Let me tell you one secret and this is worth all gold you have : If someone is better than you,it doesn’t mean he is cheating.

Posted by: FlashAhAhh.4307

FlashAhAhh.4307

Oh lord not this again!!! No. No. No.

They probably are not bots, just very experienced and fast TPers like me.

The fact that you wrote this post tells me you do not have the right mindset to be playing the TP at all!

Milkshake.4038

It seems that almost everyone here is a better trader than me. I don’t want to know your secrets, but can you tell me how much do you make in a day with trading?

Behellagh.1468

Read it again carefully please, you can also check the graph. Is it a human like behaviour to overbid your own bids 52 times when there are no other bidders? I know the possibilities of GW2 api, but then this shouldn’t happen. Can you explain it?

There are not as many players as you think. Mithril ore and elder wood log can be sold in seconds but these daggers have very low supply and demand.

Except I don’t see the pattern you think you are seeing.

Bidding a specific number of items or always having your bid end in “3” are ways players tag their bid if they aren’t using a legit site that uses their API key to track their bids and audibly notify and highlight when they are out bid. If they use such a site it’s easy to update the ones that are outbid. Now depending how much gold they have on hand they may not go back and remove their old bid as that takes time and may only clear out old bids at the end of their session or trading period or if they have a better use for that gold. After all they may be actually playing the game if they have a notifier website up in the background and only have time to outbid.

There are a lot of players in this game and it’s inevitable that you will be competing for some TP niche with others. And in all likelihood you will run into players who are watching their bids like hawks and are willing to one up you indefinitely including wiping out all profit in hopes that you lose interest in that market and move along. That’s the PvP nature of TP play.

RIP City of Heroes

FlashAhAhh.4307

It seems that almost everyone here is a better trader than me. I don’t want to know your secrets, but can you tell me how much do you make in a day with trading?

If anyone is willing to tell you ANYTHING about how they trade, including daily profit you should go ahead and assume they are not worth listening too.

Behellagh.1468

First rule of TP fight club is not to talk about your markets. Even ones that currently aren’t profitable because everything is cyclical and may once again be.

I’m not Wanze. I’m small fry and I’ll tell you that in the last week I made roughly 100 gold on the TP. That said I made 25 of that gold yesterday. I’m getting into a new market and I’m getting far better at turning over bids compared to when I started a few days ago. But I still play and not simply live on the TP. I do roughly 3 passes a day, when I get up, when I get home and when I go to bed. And the more I get into a rhythm and streamline analyzing and setting up the bids for the day, the more time I have to play.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Milkshake.4038

Except I don’t see the pattern you think you are seeing.

Bidding a specific number of items or always having your bid end in “3” are ways players tag their bid if they aren’t using a legit site that uses their API key to track their bids and audibly notify and highlight when they are out bid. If they use such a site it’s easy to update the ones that are outbid. Now depending how much gold they have on hand they may not go back and remove their old bid as that takes time and may only clear out old bids at the end of their session or trading period or if they have a better use for that gold. After all they may be actually playing the game if they have a notifier website up in the background and only have time to outbid.

There are a lot of players in this game and it’s inevitable that you will be competing for some TP niche with others. And in all likelihood you will run into players who are watching their bids like hawks and are willing to one up you indefinitely including wiping out all profit in hopes that you lose interest in that market and move along. That’s the PvP nature of TP play.

I agree with the highlighted part. I do this as well. On the other hand using a website that notifies you… Well, there are 3 questions that might be familiar:

- “Does this program allow someone to play faster, better, longer, or more accurately than someone who doesn’t use it?”
- “Does this program allow someone to ‘play’ when he/she is not at the computer?”
- “Does this program allow the user to gain undeserved rewards?”

I attached an image, you should look here. 5 minutes → 1 copper buy order raise, and there were no other bidders (ordering same quantity with a constant time interval means only 1 player), I watched this for hours. The same happened with the other 2 items, you can check them, too.

Attachments:

Behellagh.1468

You are reading into it too much. Even at 5 minute intervals between samples, that’s a lot of time where other things may be happening.

I use the supermarket analogy. You walk down the cereal aisle and count the number of boxes of say Capt’n Crunch. You then walk around the for 5 minutes and come back and count them again. Now whatever the difference between the counts, you weren’t there to witness why they change. You could take an educated guess but that’s it. You may be right but unless you witness it, you don’t know for sure.

You see the number of bids constant while the price rises and came to a conclusion that someone is bidding up on their own. It could also be multiple players outbidding one another while pulling their previous bids so the overall count is the same. Two interpretations of the same facts.

Bids are more difficult to analyze than sell orders due to the nonrefundable nature of a sell order. When we see the total number of orders go down and the current low go up, it’s likely a sale rather than someone pulling their order. However the number of bids can change irregardless to them being filled as players reclaim old underbids because they found a better use of that capital.

RIP City of Heroes

Milkshake.4038

First rule of TP fight club is not to talk about your markets. Even ones that currently aren’t profitable because everything is cyclical and may once again be.

I’m not Wanze. I’m small fry and I’ll tell you that in the last week I made roughly 100 gold on the TP. That said I made 25 of that gold yesterday. I’m getting into a new market and I’m getting far better at turning over bids compared to when I started a few days ago. But I still play and not simply live on the TP. I do roughly 3 passes a day, when I get up, when I get home and when I go to bed. And the more I get into a rhythm and streamline analyzing and setting up the bids for the day, the more time I have to play.

I appreciate that you shared this information with me. I have a similar method to refresh my orders: after getting up, before lunch, at prime time and before going to sleep. Sometimes I refresh twice at prime time, because of the high number of casual players who don’t list items just sell them to the highest buy order.

Making 100 gold in a week is not bad at all if you can maintain it for months with little effort. You are right that time is precious, and humans don’t have unlimited time to place orders and also play the game.

Milkshake.4038

You are reading into it too much. Even at 5 minute intervals between samples, that’s a lot of time where other things may be happening.

I use the supermarket analogy. You walk down the cereal aisle and count the number of boxes of say Capt’n Crunch. You then walk around the for 5 minutes and come back and count them again. Now whatever the difference between the counts, you weren’t there to witness why they change. You could take an educated guess but that’s it. You may be right but unless you witness it, you don’t know for sure.

You see the number of bids constant while the price rises and came to a conclusion that someone is bidding up on their own. It could also be multiple players outbidding one another while pulling their previous bids so the overall count is the same. Two interpretations of the same facts.

Bids are more difficult to analyze than sell orders due to the nonrefundable nature of a sell order. When we see the total number of orders go down and the current low go up, it’s likely a sale rather than someone pulling their order. However the number of bids can change irregardless to them being filled as players reclaim old underbids because they found a better use of that capital.

You missed a part where I said: " It happens exactly when the website refreshes the data, I checked it ingame. Exactly 5 minutes. On multiple items. "

I was refreshing the ingame TP, where you can see changes immediately. After 5 minutes, all of the buy orders were raised by 1 copper with a few seconds difference (time of clicking) and the previous order was removed right after it.

FlashAhAhh.4307

If anyone is willing to tell you ANYTHING about how they trade, including daily profit you should go ahead and assume they are not worth listening too.

Ok, well maybe not ALL the time:) Everything you have said in this thread has been spot on.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

It could also be multiple players outbidding one another while pulling their previous bids so the overall count is the same.

I get drawn into that a lot. I find it tiresome, but I deal with it.

I know I don’t need to give you any TP advice, but here’s how I deal with it, for the sake of the argument or whomsoever does care.

If I get outbid by a copper, I up my bid significantly (only if the bid/offer gap is huge of course). If get outbid by a copper again, I up my bid even more significantly. Rinse and repeat. I start raising in tens of gold if I need to for certain items. Eventually the competition stops. And if they retract the bids I tempted them into, I retract my high bid as well and reinstate my original bid. Usually, the competition won’t be back for a long while if I do that, and I do get my stuff cheap. And if they are back before I get the stuff, rinse and repeat. I never fold and I never ran into someone who kept up with me.

If someone frustrates your efforts, frustrate them back harder. You’re not defenceless on the TP. I never have more than 10 “structural” buy orders on the TP at once, but I’m all over those few like a bloodhound.

(edited by Manasa Devi.7958)

FlashAhAhh.4307

For me it really depends, if there is enough competition in the market you are sometimes better off looking elsewhere. Turnover is a huge part of profitability and lots of things, including people ganking an item can make a market far less attractive because it ties up cash that could be cycling elsewhere. If someone is constantly watching and outbidding an item then even if you are just as fast as they are you are still running at 50% efficiency for a LOT more effort than you have to put in at items that will run at 100% . The problem of course is that others have a good eye for this too so it constantly moves around.

Have a few options so you can change it out when needed.

Oh and if ever there is a release that say… let’s everyone glide on Tyria, get on the TP because you’ll have it all to yourself for hours but the loot is still flowing

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You made 2 statements, but you haven’t proved anything.

1. Why is a simple captcha more annoying than the current system when selling a lot of items? And we don’t have any information about the average number of buy orders. If it is 200 then yes, it can be annoying. If it is 20 then the majority of the players will never see this.

2. How do you know that I have limited experience? Do I look like a player who doesn’t know trading post mechanincs?

1. Captcha is universally more annoying than throttling. I’ve never ever been affected by throttling in this game; I would be (by the guidelines you suggested) be impacted by captcha. In any case, folks that are using illegal software to speed up their purchases always find a way to make it efficient more quickly than the average player.
  2. I don’t know what you look like. I wasn’t speaking about your overall experience. I was referring to the limited experience of the particular anecdote upon which the suggestion was based — in a fair economy, overbidding will happen more often, not less.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Milkshake.4038

1. Captcha is universally more annoying than throttling. I’ve never ever been affected by throttling in this game; I would be (by the guidelines you suggested) be impacted by captcha. In any case, folks that are using illegal software to speed up their purchases always find a way to make it efficient more quickly than the average player.
  2. I don’t know what you look like. I wasn’t speaking about your overall experience. I was referring to the limited experience of the particular anecdote upon which the suggestion was based — in a fair economy, overbidding will happen more often, not less.

I agree that captcha can be annoying if it is used too often. Even if my suggestion was not the best, it looks like that anet made an update (reddit dev comment: “Guys, Tech said there was an update made, however, the change needs to get out to the datacenter, and your browser cache needs to refresh.”). I can’t see those same quick overbids now. Gw2tp website is down. Maybe this is just a coincidence. Maybe not.

laokoko.7403

I don’t know how anyone can be sure someone is botting. Even if someone change order every 5 minuets, he could just be using API.

And I don’t know how anyone can claim bots don’t exist. Even when OP says he found the site with it.

Gw2’s trading post system itself made it susceptible to bots. The only way it won’t have bots is change the system. Just like the only game without aimbot is using tab targeting.

Look at the brightside gw2’s TP is slow. Anet claim it stops bots.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

FlashAhAhh.4307

Lol, I think someone read this thread. I overbid on an item a few times yesterday and the other started just massively overbidding but he doubled it, I outbid. He douubled again so I outbid while getting all these items out of my bank hoping he would double it again…

Instead he took it straight to TEN KITTEN gold!!! Hahaha. The idiot listed 11 of them too and I had more than that. Easiest gold I’ve ever made.

I pictured the tantrum this poor guy must have thrown.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I don’t know how anyone can be sure someone is botting. Even if someone change order every 5 minuets, he could just be using API.

And I don’t know how anyone can claim bots don’t exist. Even when OP says he found the site with it.

Gw2’s trading post system itself made it susceptible to bots. The only way it won’t have bots is change the system. Just like the only game without aimbot is using tab targeting.

Look at the brightside gw2’s TP is slow. Anet claim it stops bots.

The API is readonly.

The site the OP is referring to looks a lot like gw2tp.com who’s graphs looks like it is generated from data obtained through http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/API:2/commerce/prices . That data is cached for 5 minutes.

laokoko.7403

Lol, I think someone read this thread. I overbid on an item a few times yesterday and the other started just massively overbidding but he doubled it, I outbid. He douubled again so I outbid while getting all these items out of my bank hoping he would double it again…

Instead he took it straight to TEN KITTEN gold!!! Hahaha. The idiot listed 11 of them too and I had more than that. Easiest gold I’ve ever made.

I pictured the tantrum this poor guy must have thrown.

It’s quite weird that item don’t have an instant sell order of 10 gold.

I was mass selling the blueprint 2 for scarlet invasion backpiece. I thought the new events will release it again but it didn’t. I think he bought so many he bought out and rez the price to 1 gold. I’m not sure how long will it take for him to sell the rest.