[suggestion]HoT maps free to play

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: UlvenSkyblade.9830

UlvenSkyblade.9830

My suggestion is that when the new expansion drops to make the HoT maps free to play. Before I explain why I suggest this let me make this clear I only mean maps. Not masteries not stories not even adventures. Only map acces so people can walk around and participate in the meta events

Now for my reasoning. At the moment the new expansion drops more and more people will stop playing in the HoT maps and move to the new maps the HoT maps will become less and less populated. The HoT maps are heavily invested in the meta and to keep them fun you need people around.

In my plan free players will lack masteries they will not have acces to things like gliding hampering them but not making it impossible for them to participate(besides the final fight in dragons stand). But they will see people around them use things like gliders and mushrooms to get around incentivising them to buy HoT to be able to do the same.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

My suggestion is that when the new expansion drops to make the HoT maps free to play. Before I explain why I suggest this let me make this clear I only mean maps. Not masteries not stories not even adventures. Only map acces so people can walk around and participate in the meta events

You can’t participate in the meta events without many of the masteries, you can’t even get everywhere without gliding, updrafts, mushrooms, and poison resistance.

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Now for my reasoning. At the moment the new expansion drops more and more people will stop playing in the HoT maps and move to the new maps the HoT maps will become less and less populated. The HoT maps are heavily invested in the meta and to keep them fun you need people around.

In my plan free players will lack masteries they will not have acces to things like gliding hampering them but not making it impossible for them to participate(besides the final fight in dragons stand). But they will see people around them use things like gliders and mushrooms to get around incentivising them to buy HoT to be able to do the same.

The free content is completely fair the way it is.

Posted by: UnbentMars.9126

UnbentMars.9126

When HoT launched they stated that only new expac stuff would be behind the paid edition, so when expac 2 comes out HoT will be F2P for everyone. No need to suggest it, it’s already going to happen

Rev, Ele, Burnzerker
“Beware he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.”

Posted by: Kreejaffa.3682

Kreejaffa.3682

This is actually a good strategy. A lot of MMOs use it. You give the players a taste of the content, but heavily restrict them as a free-to-play player, so they have to invest in the expansion to fully enjoy it and not be frustrated.

Kreejaffa [Ferguson’s Crossing]
Leader of Looking For Gandalf [LFG]
Worst Commander of Ferguson’s Crossing (Self Proclaimed)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

When HoT launched they stated that only new expac stuff would be behind the paid edition, so when expac 2 comes out HoT will be F2P for everyone. No need to suggest it, it’s already going to happen

That’s not what they said.

In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pre-purchase-community-address/

Nothing at all about previous content moving to Play4Free.

Posted by: UlvenSkyblade.9830

UlvenSkyblade.9830

You can’t participate in the meta events without many of the masteries, you can’t even get everywhere without gliding, updrafts, mushrooms, and toxicity resistance.

Some might be partialy obstructed like tarir east for which you need gliding but that would still leave other lanes for which you need nothing. And the point was you couldn’t get everywhere I do not consider it fair to give free players the whole package

The free content is completely fair the way it is.

Not saying this for the free players but more to keep the meta running. This is as much for the paying players as for the free players. I am sorry if I wasn’t clear about that

Got any sources ? If so i missed them and this thread was giant waste of time and space

Posted by: Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Tanner Blackfeather.6509

Not quite. To my recall, the plan was more along the lines of “Buy latest expansion, get previous expansions for free”. That would leave the Play4free option unchanged.

Posted by: Saeri.4576

Saeri.4576

You can’t participate in the meta events without many of the masteries, you can’t even get everywhere without gliding, updrafts, mushrooms, and toxicity resistance.

Well, you need toxicity resistance in most of the game, really.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

ArenaNet/NCSoft’s problem with F2P is that they actually expected people to buy the game. From a F2P perspective, it’s the 1% that actually pays, while most people are simply playing because it’s free.

If they haven’t dropped their 1 box model yet, making HoT at least partially F2P would likely be more profitable. HoT isn’t actually required, so there’s simply no reason to bundle it. They could instead make the maps and masteries F2P while bundling everything else and selling it on the store like the living world seasons. By including masteries, it opens the ability to sell gliders, whereas the lack of masteries would only create a more frustrating experience and make it easier to quit.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.

Exactly. It’s already in effect with HoT: You get it for free if you buy the game.

OMG, LOL! I am so sorry. English isn’t my first language. Of course, what I meant was “poison resistance”. How embarassing… Although it’s true: as of late, toxicity resistance has become a real pre-requisite for playing the game.

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

OMG, LOL! I am so sorry. English isn’t my first language. Of course, what I meant was “poison resistance”. How embarassing… Although it’s true: as of late, toxicity resistance has become a real pre-requisite for playing the game.

Lol.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Exactly. It’s already in effect with HoT: You get it for free if you buy the game.

Lol.

Posted by: Aryan Arlande.6184

Aryan Arlande.6184

I didn’t buy HOT, because i stay strictly away from toxic environments – real life is toxic enough.

So i wouldn’t play it for free either.

Now i’m waiting for the next Xpac and hope, it will meet my needs better.

More fun, less yelling

Posted by: Hawken.7932

Hawken.7932

I didn’t buy HOT, because i stay strictly away from toxic environments – real life is toxic enough.

More fun, less yelling

What are you even talking about?

The HoT are absolutely great. They are, in many ways, the realisation of all of Anet’s earlier work on zone-wide meta events, taken to a whole new level.

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

More fun, less yelling

Does not own HoT. Talks about how bad HoT is.
Sounds…reasonable. For Bookah standards.

I am also having a blast with HoT. It’s great and very chilling. I mind my own business, a group comes by, carnage going on (many of you bored, worn-out players would call it “zerg”), leaves off, later I get my 8% participation bonus. No need to do anything by force, yet you get credited. When the day comes up, there is the real tally. Also, the masteries really make my character feel advancing. I like this endless level sort of stuff unlike others that want no levelling at all…

Excelsior.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”