[suggestion] Stop overwelming us with boxes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

@ JAFW

And people can still do so, because the Auto gatherign Golem is nothing, that woudl be forced upon you. if you don’t intent to use it, because you liek to farm and grind for your materials by yourself – as thats more effective still in the end than the Golem – thats totally ok, then don’t learn the Mastery and everything is good.

You seem to assume also that the Gathering Goems would be something that people “see then running around” in the Maps like Bots. That would be not the case.
The Gathering Golem Service would be mainly nothing else but just an animation of the golem going of, and returning to you + just a simple timer function that shows you, how long your Gathering Golem is still away, until it returns to you with its loot of materials it could collect for you.

See this little service as like a Browser Game. Lets say.. Galaxy Wars (no pun intended lol for similarities) You send out space ships to go invade a planet and collect it ressources..you get shown, it takes soo and so much time, until they return.
When they return you receive a report on what has happened in the time when the ships were away.

Same thing could work with the Gathering Golem and when you send them out, it also hasn’t to mean, that they have to be always successful too.
Would be boring, if such a nice little Qol feature wouldn’ t have also the risk of the tours being able to fail, due to the Golem being attacked on its route back by some kind of monster. And like said, Anet has enough options to ensure, that such a feature would be no danger to the game economy through addign Gold Sinks and Time Limits on how oftenly you can use the Service per say month and how long the Golem needs to return.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Oh great. Invisible legal farming bots. I’m so relieved.

Not.

I’m putting in my vote as no to your suggestion for legal farming bots. I don’t care if they’re invisible or if “some restrictions apply.” A game “selling” farming bots is a game where the devs have given up on getting people to play it and are instead focusing on getting as much money as they can before they close down.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Ramoth.9064

Ramoth.9064

It is really poor game design. Why do I have 4 gilded boxes that don’t stack?

Ramoth.9064

TorsoReaper — it would be argued, I think, that any third-party program or system that expedites an in-game process might be seen as giving a player an advantage over another. If two players are farming, and one is going through the process as intended, and taking XX amount of time, while the second is using a bot or macro that free them up to resume farming, isn’t there an inherant “advantage” in that time-saving system?

I don’t use an auto-clicker. I clicked 10,000 times 2 in Guild Wars (the original) to gain two titles. I did that because while using an auto-clicker would have cut the time I spent by a huge amount, I figured spending the time was part of earning the title.

Just my two cents.

And for the rest of the population who don’t find that healthy for their fingers? I don’t know why you insist on defending bad game design. I have 5 different gilded strong boxes and none of them stack, nor can I open all at once. You talk about things that are difficult and the team has priorities, sure, but I’d like to hope quality of life is quite high up there on the priorities front.

And as for difficulty, is it actually easier to have a million different boxes that give, pretty much, the same items? You can go on about us not knowing how difficult it is to program something all day, but if a process such as improving item management is really that difficult, isn’t the optimization of your coding the overarching issue?

Is it against Arenanet policies to actually admit these things are issues, and maybe even query the community for suggestions? Again, 5 gilded strongboxes. All unique.

Posted by: Lynx Raven Raide.2764

Lynx Raven Raide.2764

Probably because they are different rarities. you can get blue, green, yellow and gold types, and type will stack with type but they wont stack with each other

Mad Aussie Bastard

Posted by: Mithos.9023

Mithos.9023

@ Gaile:
Maybe it is time to bring a feature for opening multiple boxes at a time, if players are considering macros or other tools as opening them with the default method is just to painful, time-wasting and boring?
And off topic can somebody pm me on how to quote someone like in the post above? I can’t find information on that topic or how to do it.

Edit: I think I found it 5 minutes after posting this. Thanks anyway.

We need build and gear-templates!!!!!!!!!!

Ramoth.9064

They are all exotic, exact same icon, exact same spelling.

Posted by: TEKnowledgy.1760

TEKnowledgy.1760

I love loots keep it coming anet. Always 2 outta 10 that are never happy you change it these same people gonna come back and moan about how they dont get loots lol

Posted by: Katastroff.1045

Katastroff.1045

@ JAFW:

From botting you have ingame advantages, because its just a program in the background of GW2, that knows no borders.. its 24/7 active and farms for you unendlessly long, until either you got detected and banned, or until you deactivate/close the program, so that the bot stops doing its actions for you, while you needed to be never at the PC doing anything at all. Thats Botting 101.

For Auto Gathering you need to be online to use and activate it, its no program that you can simply start from outside of the game to let it control all the movements and things your character does from then on, while you are never at the PC.
Like described has Auto Gathering unlike Botting its limits, that are free to decide by Anet.
Shoudl it be able to use every 24h, or every 72 or maybe every week only once, thats totally free to decide by Anet how they see fit.
Then theres the described requirement of having to learn first the Mastery, for that you need to play the game, get the Mastery Points and the Exp first, until you are able to unlock that feature, where meanwhile you could bot farm 24/7 already if you wanted, or do that manually as you should do better if you want to keep your account ^^

You can call it afk farming, but it surely is not botting. However, prsonalyl i have absolutely nothign against limited gameplay integrated “afk farming”, if that just allows you as casual player to use the tiem you have with meaningful game content, instead of havign to run in circles for thousands of time till you have all the materials you need to get something done, if that could be also be done as quality of life feature for you by your self made gathering golem every now and then at least, so that you don’t have to do it always by yourself.

Why would we/Anet want it you ask?
Simple, because it could be used as also a Gold Sink for the peopel that are for the moment too lazy to run self and gather stuff, some kind of Maintenance Cost of the Golem Gathering Service has to be there. Our little helper can get also attacked while being on tour for us – we need to repair it
We need to organize still the Gathering Tools for the Golem. They don’t come in for free.
So these Gathering Tools become again a better money sink, which Permanent Gathering Tools keeps on lowering, so more people use them over time and need not to buy normal Tools anymore.

If someone with a gazillion accounts is willign to manage all this extra hassle for more optimized material income from the Gathering Golems, then so be it, its thats players free choice to do so. Would still be alot lesser of a chore, than to grind with all characters of 30+ accounts all maps and to have to change after you are doen with one character permanently to the next one, until you are finally done with all of your accounts >.> Don’t you think that too?
It’s quicker managed to send out 30x a Gathering Golem, than to farm manually with like 30+ times lets say 10 characters a map. That would be then quickly if all accounts have average 10 characters 300 Farming Runs for just a single map.
Who is please so crazy to do that on one day??? Show me that person please, and I draw my non existing hat in respect of him/her!!

@ Lou:

No, if it’s bonded to Gold Sinks and limited to the times of usage and had long enough waiting times for the Golem’s Return. A player running self and doing the job, will always be more efficient in gathering, than using a Gatherign Golem.
The Golem is just a Comfort Service, which you can take, but you have not to do so if you don’t want to, which gives you simple for the moment you use it the quality of life, that you get after some time materials, without having to run on maps in circles, while being able to do in that time somethign else in the game that is actual Game Content.

Adding Auto Gathering will bring to GW2 the positive side effect, that you will most likely see more people then more oftenly helping at WvW, Fractals ect. at times, where they eventually would usuallly make otherwise their Material Farming Routes at that time first and take away that way in PvE other players the spots in the maps away, which are willing to participate in the events ect. instead of grinding around in the map for materials.

You could always hire someone to play the game for you. That person could also do laundry, dishes, wash cars, do homeworks and even more !!!

Why simplify things when its so easy to complicate them ?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If this ‘golem’ is invisible, it’s not a golem; it’s just some free mats at log-in at certain times of the day, or week.

Again, it’s not playing the game, it’s just some free stuff. I can’t see what advantage it has for ArenaNet or the health of the game.

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

This thread is so silly, I can’t even.

Posted by: Coffietire.2783

Coffietire.2783

While this isn’t exactly the solution you’re asking for, I think it is one that can make getting rid of junk items much more manageable and convenient.

Introducing Pawn-O-Tron!

Think of it as an unlimited Black Lion Trading merchant. Only, for the sake of balance, you can only sell items to it and at a reduced sell price, and like the banker, only you can use it. I think it would be great during those Dragon’s Stand runs as I usually fill up by the time we have to fight the blighting pods.

Just a flesh wound.3589

TorsoReaper — it would be argued, I think, that any third-party program or system that expedites an in-game process might be seen as giving a player an advantage over another. If two players are farming, and one is going through the process as intended, and taking XX amount of time, while the second is using a bot or macro that free them up to resume farming, isn’t there an inherant “advantage” in that time-saving system?

I don’t use an auto-clicker. I clicked 10,000 times 2 in Guild Wars (the original) to gain two titles. I did that because while using an auto-clicker would have cut the time I spent by a huge amount, I figured spending the time was part of earning the title.

Just my two cents.

Guild Wars 2. Brought to you by the makers of Tylenol. :/

I was taking pain meds for my aching hand and wrist after one of the big “holiday loot is a box within a box” because of all the clicking to open boxes and the boxes that came out of those boxes then the clicking to sell, upgrade, use etc. The game has gotten better with mass salvaging but for the sake of relieving tedium and for the sake of our aching wrists the game could put in more QoL features for handling loot.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Sister Saxifrage.7361

Sister Saxifrage.7361

I like the boxes – the stacking ones definitely save inventory space on big runs. But I do wish there was an “Open All” option on right click the way there is “Use All” with luck and “Salvage All” with salvage kits.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Not.

I’m putting in my vote as no to your suggestion for legal farming bots. I don’t care if they’re invisible or if “some restrictions apply.” A game “selling” farming bots is a game where the devs have given up on getting people to play it and are instead focusing on getting as much money as they can before they close down.

Not exactly, but that’s only because I’ve seen FFXIV do it, and it worked well. It required having special tokens that you got from doing dailies, so it was limited, and it took the NPC about an hour or two to finish the job, so it wasn’t 100% uptime. The NPC could also only farm stuff the player was capable of farming via class skills.
It was a fantastic way to get mid-tier materials, especially troublesome cloth/leather components (HINT HINT, ANet).
Perhaps the most important thing about it was there were sufficient daily materials sinks to justify the demand. (Also, HINT HINT, ANet.)

I realize one successful case doesn’t mean it’d always be successful, but done mindfully, an auto-farming mechanic could work very well.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Sephas.8793

If you want more of those “troublesome cloth/leather components” open these boxes that you can’t stand opening on a level 51 toon. And then salvage those items to get more…

Posted by: Artasqweroldy.7458

Artasqweroldy.7458

if you want auto gathering just buy stuff from TP.
Its basically a question of opportunity cost. You can spend your time gathering resources to use or sell, or you can spend your time to do other stuff you enjoy and buy the required mats of TP.
Gathering is not only a money sink by forcing you to buy gathering tools (and WP cost btw!) but also a huge time sink. If you remove the time sink part by auto gathering, they would have to increase the opportunity cost of gathering by other means, i.e. mony. At which point the system is just as expensive for you to use than just normal buying. Complete waste of developer time if you ask me..

Humans aren´t real

Posted by: Fremtid.3528

Fremtid.3528

I can’t believe this is a discussion right now.

Posted by: archmagus.7249

archmagus.7249

A solution to dealing with selling lots of stuff considered “junk” would be to have a Borderlands-style “mark as junk” option. Anything marked as junk would be sold when the “sell junk” button is pressed.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Not.

Not exactly, but that’s only because I’ve seen FFXIV do it, and it worked well. It required having special tokens that you got from doing dailies, so it was limited, and it took the NPC about an hour or two to finish the job, so it wasn’t 100% uptime. The NPC could also only farm stuff the player was capable of farming via class skills.
It was a fantastic way to get mid-tier materials, especially troublesome cloth/leather components (HINT HINT, ANet).
Perhaps the most important thing about it was there were sufficient daily materials sinks to justify the demand. (Also, HINT HINT, ANet.)

I realize one successful case doesn’t mean it’d always be successful, but done mindfully, an auto-farming mechanic could work very well.

Still thanks but no thanks. I’d rather the devs work on actual content rather than more ways for people to skip playing and make a profit by only logging on once a day as per the suggestion in this thread.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

If you want more of those “troublesome cloth/leather components” open these boxes that you can’t stand opening on a level 51 toon. And then salvage those items to get more…

Because a quasi-exploit is good game design.
smh

Still thanks but no thanks. I’d rather the devs work on actual content rather than more ways for people to skip playing and make a profit by only logging on once a day as per the suggestion in this thread.

Understandable! It doesn’t seem like a good fit for GW2.
And really, the idea kinda derails the thread.

Since the thread has captured Gaile’s attention (yay), pretty sure she’ll communicate the need for box/bag overload to the devs. We can help by coming up with some possible ideas.

The simplest idea I can put forward is an Open All button in our inventory or options menu that functions like Salvage All. It would systematically open each bag and put the rewards in your inventory until it runs out of space. For the most part, it’s almost copy-paste code, or at least copy-repurpose code.

It’s kinda that simple.

Sure, we could have complicated QoL things like a side bag in inventory that holds containers and has the relevant commands for managing inventory or being able to salvage lesser runes for some kind of product, but for the actual complaint at hand, a relatively simple command option would save a ton of wrists and mouses.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Aryan Arlande.6184

Aryan Arlande.6184

Let bots do the work and watch the economy crash into oblivion.

Everything will become cheap as dirt and last, but not least you will cut off the tiny, but most important gold-source for the majority of casual-gamers.

So, with the economy, GW will vanish into oblivion too

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Well, minor sigils and runes really aren’t worth the effort to anyone who has a max level character. There are thousands of them sitting on the TP which nobody wants to buy.

Those are meant to be sold to the next best merchant, not on the Market — much more profitable.

@OP: How about no to your toggling suggestions? You can immediately put materials you don’t currently need in the bank or on the Trading Post. Major runes can be sold there, too. Salvaging is part of the game and its economy, you are asking for a fundamental change which would affect said economy severely.

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

I agree being able to classify green sigils and whatnot as “junk” for vendors would be a simple and appropriate solution.

Sephas.8793

I agree being able to classify green sigils and whatnot as “junk” for vendors would be a simple and appropriate solution.

Honestly, I have no problem selling these off quickly at a merchant. I deposit all the mats, sell the worthy items on the TP, sell the junk to the merchant, and the green sigils are all that’s left. Just start double clicking on them in the sell window, and they whiz by into the Mists. Too easy.

Posted by: MFoy.3284

MFoy.3284

Topics like this always make me think “Well, they could always hire someone to play the game for them…”

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Even more simple and even more appropriate would be to allow us to salvage them.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Hoaxintelligence.4628

Hoaxintelligence.4628

This is the mainreason why my inventory is always full. I always have that “you are outcumbered” message. I have to say, sins Im not give a kitty about loot the game is starting to be normal again.

Sît[MII]Ultimate Dominator
U N D E R W O R L D
W v W-r o a m e r