[suggestion] bought = earned loot, too

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

We have a lot of interesting skins in the game, but most of those are tradeable with other players. People who don’t want to get involved in the grind for rng skip ahead: they use gold which they have farmed / flipped / bought from real money but at the same time they “lose content”. They haven’t met the same challenge / some might say they haven’t earned the specific reward.

Imagine you get that really special skin from finding a very rare mob in the game, a mob that wanders around and can’t be found easily.

Here my suggestion: you can’t directly sell the rare piece of equipment you’ve found but rather a (let’s call it) “itemname-fortune scrap”. (how to implement this: the item can’t be sold on the TP but you can salvage it for that fortune scrap). Having this thing in your inventory increases the low droprate of this item to 100% on that very specific enemy. But players still have to find the mob in the world and kill it to get the piece of equipment. The scrap has a description of the location of the mob in it’s tooltip.

example: You find Lord Taeres’s shadow in a champion loot box. You can’t sell it on the TP but when you salvage it you get a Lord Taeres’s shadow fortune scrap. The tooltip says: "very rare champion reward from pirate(?)-champions. The person who buys this will get Lord Taeres’s shadow at a 100% droprate when killing a pirate champion anywhere in the world.

what do you think?

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

No.

Marcus Greythorne.6843

No.

I’m impressed… not.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

That depends… how many times can the fortune scrap be used, and can a weapon gotten from a fortune scrap drop a fortune scrap? If just the latter is yeas I’m likely to just salvage, re-acquire the weapon, salvage, re-acquire, etc. to get lots of Dark Matter and Ectoplasm.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Perhaps I’m not quite grasping the point. Lord Taere’s Shadow is something you can sell on the TP… unless you equipped it. So are you suggesting they make those things account bound on acquire so they can’t be sold? After which, implement the ticket thing so they could be again. Sort of defeats the purpose doesn’kitten Maybe it was just a bad example.

Perhaps you’re thinking of applying this to something like ascended rings that sometimes drop in fractals? Perhaps the person has their rings already or does not have stats they personally want. Since those are account bound on acquire, this ticket system would enable those people to convert it to a ticket and then sell it? Giving the buying 100% drop rate to get it so long as they do the necessary content to use it?

Even if these tickets were limited to single consumption, this is sort of a mixed bag for me. It could play havoc with the market.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

UO treasure maps?

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Buying a skin IS earning a skin. If someone doesn’t want to go find some mob they should not be forced to, and are not forced to. Presumably that’s why Precursors and Legendaries are tradable.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

So like PSO 2’s (Phantasy Star Online 2) premium only feature where you can’t buy 10 star rarity from player shops unless you are premium and trade in a 10* for a ticket at a recycle shop npc to buy a new one from other players?

No thanks.

Even though 10*s are pretty much best in slot gear (some are better than others and better than 11* exclusives yet weaker than the ultra rare 12*s) they can be found with some effort/farming (some are pretty rare) they are probably equivalent to our ascended albeit a bit easier to get.

GW 2 doesn’t have a drop rate system as good as PSO 2’s to warrant this though.

So a big NO!

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I’m clarifying:

• Lord Taeres’s Shadow drops, it’s accountbound and can’t be sold.
  • If you want to sell it so that others can wield this weapon, you have to salvage it.
  • When salvaged, you get a specific fortune scrap out of it.
  • This scrap allows one 100% drop of that source-item (Lord Taeres’s Shadow) from it’s original source (the pirate-champion mob)

It brings people out in the world and gives them the guarantee to get the item they want, they just have to find the drop-location (which is described on the scrap-tooltip).

But why? Because buying special loot from the trading-post takes out most of the excitement you get out of the adventure. People who play the trading post won’t have to go out into the world ever. It’s a toxic system if you ask me, if someone wants something of value he/she should show the heart to do something for it, even if it’s just finding a mob and killing it.

Marcus Greythorne.6843

If just the latter is yeas I’m likely to just salvage, re-acquire the weapon, salvage, re-acquire, etc. to get lots of Dark Matter and Ectoplasm.

good point, it would have to be a new type of salvage kit which only gets you the scrap without the dark matter and ectos.

The only reason the scrap exists is to sell “the item” to other players, or to say it in a better way: sell them a treasure-map to the wanted item.