[suggestion] greater variety of possible loot

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

One thing I find odd is: Why isn’t there a much bigger variety of loot in open world drops?

• 15-18 slot bags (droprate: exotic items)
  • transmutation stones (droprate: exotic items)
  • common/rare minis (droprate: exotic items)
  • makeover kit (droprate: exotic items)

in order to not screw with the market, just make those drops accountbound

You wouldn’t get a lot of bags, a lot of transmutation stones,… BUT you would get something of these more often – which would make killing mobs / WvW enemies feel much more rewarding imho. Furthermore people would learn to know some of these items and perhaps makes them want to buy more of those in the gem store.

The way it is now I pretty much know what to expect from loot mostly. Nothing really surprising most of the time: blues, some greens and occasionally a yellow. An exotic? Once every half of the year.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: BigfootArisen.6509

BigfootArisen.6509

I really hate to actually be a person saying this, but because they want you to pay gems for all but the first one. Bags you can pick up from the TP for relatively inexpensively, plus there’s always Fractal gearboxes. But it will never, ever be a thing where you can get a direct drop of gemstore items from kills.

Also, exotics drop far more frequently than once every 6 months. I got 3 in one round level 19 Fractals. It seems like you just have poor luck, in that regard.

If you feel like you need some of the gemstore items without ponying up the gems, try out key farming. The devs have directly said (I’m not gonna look it up, so disbelieive if you want) that key farming is fine. They may change it some, but its fine as is for now. I always have some makeover kits, crystals, and BL salvage kits in reserve because I do a few key farms a week.

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Yeah, it seems I’m just not very lucky. I run with MF of about 120 and do mostly WvW… little exotic drops have happened to me so far

Personally I think that those open world drops could be good for the gemstore. Don’t you want to complete a halfway filled collection? Why not have Minis drop from certain rare-mobs who spawn every 8 hours, walk their paths a few times and disappear again after that? Reminding you of the mini collection by giving you that drop would probably increase the sell-rate in the gem-store, because some people just want to finish what they’ve started.

Not everyone likes Fractals and not everyone likes to delete and create a new character constantly just to find a gambling-item.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Given the rate at which I get exotic drops, adding more to the exotic loot table would have little impact.

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Given the rate at which I get exotic drops, adding more to the exotic loot table would have little impact.

you misunderstand me, those drops shouldn’t be instead of the exotic drops but added to the loottable. The more you ad, the bigger the chance to get something

Posted by: Vitus Dance.4509

Vitus Dance.4509

Wouldn’t it be better if they just removed the ‘zero chance of anything’ from the equation?
It would certainly be a huge step to reducing the monotony of farming as you’d at least get a guaranteed ‘something’ for your efforts.
I was trying to farm moas, a couple of weeks back, and from 14 birds received 1 egg and a couple of grey trash drops.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Well, I don’t think Anet would ever add gem store items to the loot tables. But, they definitely need to do something to sweeten loot. As is, I tend to mindlessly salvage most drops that I can’t insta-sell on the TP for more than they’re worth. Open inventory, salvage kit, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, deposit collectibles, move on. Getting something else, some kind of variety, some better drop rates for useful items…that’d be nice.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Well, I don’t think Anet would ever add gem store items to the loot tables. But, they definitely need to do something to sweeten loot. As is, I tend to mindlessly salvage most drops that I can’t insta-sell on the TP for more than they’re worth. Open inventory, salvage kit, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click, deposit collectibles, move on. Getting something else, some kind of variety, some better drop rates for useful items…that’d be nice.

What are you looking for?

Remember when you make your request that it can’t be something above the current virtual progression.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: BigfootArisen.6509

BigfootArisen.6509

Remember when you make your request that it can’t be something above the current virtual progression.

Personally, I would say at least getting a grey from every kill. Increase the rate of salvageable items, bags, and straight materials. Add unique drops for certain areas, certain monster types. It was cool how in GW1 certain bosses dropped very particular unique gear, generally what they had in their own hands geared to what they used, skill-wise.

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

If you feel like you need some of the gemstore items without ponying up the gems, try out key farming. The devs have directly said (I’m not gonna look it up, so disbelieive if you want) that key farming is fine.

Keys also drop in the open world….though very rarely. It would be cool though if say the Champion Spider queen had a chance to drop the mini of her. Likewise for other champs that are minis. As far as the other things, We get plenty of that through map completion.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

More skins. Every single light, medium, and heavy armor drop you get look the same. You’ll never get a green drop and go “oooh, that’s new, I’ll xmute that!” If horizontal progression and aesthetics are king, then we need a wider variety in our drops. Especially now that the wardrobe is arriving in a week, more skins from drops are (dare I say) necessary. A green heavy boot in Orr looks identical to one dropped in Southsun looks identical to one dropped in Frostgorge.

Bags & minis are also good ideas.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

IndigoSundown.5419

you misunderstand me, those drops shouldn’t be instead of the exotic drops but added to the loottable. The more you ad, the bigger the chance to get something

So, are you proposing:

• changing the way the game rolls for loot (roll for rarity, then roll on appropriate table); or
  • adding items to the “rare and better” table once the game determines that you qualify for such?

If the latter, I foresee little impact. Thus, my comment.

Marcus Greythorne.6843

• changing the way the game rolls for loot (roll for rarity, then roll on appropriate table); or
  • adding items to the “rare and better” table once the game determines that you qualify for such?

If the latter, I foresee little impact. Thus, my comment.

well instead of having 100.000 possible drops as a whole, you then have 120.000 possible drops as a whole.

random numbers inc.:

• Before there was a 90% chance to get something common, 9% chance for something rare and 1% chance for something exotic.
  • After the change: 85% chance for something common, 10% chance for something rare and 5% chance of something exotic

(these 5% consists of 1% exotic armor/weapons like before and 4% something different like bags, minis, gemstore consumables, keys, tonics, bags of craftingmats, valuable buff-food, dyes (what a pity that this is gone with the 15th), treasure maps, instruments (or a voucher for 30% decreased price in the gem-store) and much more).

That’s my suggestion. Sure it has impact on the trading post and gem store purchases, but it also has impact on the fun the player has when killing and looting stuff.

(edited by Marcus Greythorne.6843)

IndigoSundown.5419

Ah, I see. You’re advocating adjusting the first roll, then adding options to the rare and better table. Carry on.

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I think it wouldn’t be too far-fetched to see some of the gem-store items drop from mobs since Anet already gives them away for free lately. They must think that this way more people buy stuff in the store.

Think about it:
They could create meta-goals like “collect all 5 of destiny’s edge minis”. Now let 2 or 3 of them drop from open world mobs – don’t you think people would storm the gem-store for the missing ones? (Bad example since you get Rytlock only from the digital edition of the game, but you get the meaning). Even more so if there would be a corresponding reward to it (like a title).

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Reading comments like BigfootArisen I have to make the statement that not only do I want an improvement on loot (diversity) I’d also like the loot to be brought back to the open world. Many of us since the change in Nov 2012 haven’t been getting good loot items from anything. I’ve logged in recently and with the use of boosters tested this, it’s still happening even from champions for me.

I’ve seen posts now for over a year about how people find it simple to just jump in a dungeon, run a fractal, or do WvW. Well some of us actually bought the game because we were promised choices. In the first two months this title was out I was getting loot, good loot, from everything in the open world PVE zones 30+. Then they added magic find, and I got as much magic find as I could, suddenly nothing was dropping. Now it’s been a long while since they changed magic find to an account wide system, and some of us are still having these drop issues.

What is the problem of bringing loot back to the open world for everyone? Has no one checked DR for bugs in all this time? And why is DR still here? We’ve already seen how it didn’t do anything to keep gold farmers at bay they are still here teleporting all over the maps.

If their new direction is fairness and balance than why can’t all play styles have the benefit that the others receive? Where’s the fairness in the current loot structure? And where are the diversity in drops?

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I tried a few dungeon-runs yesterday, it was basically a lesson on how to exploit systems (one guy who was really awesome and showed the newbies how to do the dungeon (so I didn’t report him) came in with 10 minutes of protection), skip enemies most efficiently and how people don’t want low level characters in low level dungeons. I used the lfg tool looking for a “relaxed run, free for all, newbies welcome”.

We got tons of champion bags in short time and really good loot compared to my daily WvW adventures.

It’s not balanced good enough if you ask me. Some guys also might run 5-10 dungeons a day, it took us newbies more than an hour to complete p1-3 of Caudecus’s Manor.

Running WvW since release got me a handful of exotics, tigirius has a good point. I feel open world and WvW isn’t as rewarding as it could be imho. Long term goals seem fine (I love the implementation of the WvW-Meta reward – the exclusive weapon set) but I’ve been killing countless enemies in WvW and all I get is stuff to salvage mostly.