sweepstakes... Why US only?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Isha.4278

Isha.4278

I live in Europe, which im pretty sure many people that play this game do, as well as in other parts of the world not known as the US. So when i saw a notice on facebook from one of my guildies that GW2 was doing a sweepstake where we have a chance of winning some amazing things i got all excited until i noticed i actually have to LIVE in the US just in order to participate. Why? Why only do this for those that live in the US when there are as i assume million of players OUTSIDE the US which is also playing? Where is our sweepstakes? Where is our chance to win those amazing things?

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

This was pretty controversial to the DDO crowd as well when I played that. I’m pretty sure its got something to do with rules and regulations of running competitions like that, and how the rules are different all around the world. And within the US itself as well. Its enough work to cover all their state regulations without trying to get things done internationally.

I was always annoyed I couldn’t participate in these as well.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

This is something that has come up a couple of times in another game I play. The developer explained that there are such a large number of different, and sometimes contradictory, regulations covering sweepstakes and the like in Europe that it is prohibitively complicated to even attempt to include players from the continent.

My sympathies for your predicament.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Sweepstakes are nearly universally unable to be completed by those outside the country of origin for nearly everything under the sun.

It’s just how these things work. You can thank the laws of your own country for the lack of inclusion.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

This seems to be a thing USA companies do on a regular basis. I don’t understand the thoughts behind it. They know that they have customers outside of the states but still do this. My advice is to stop with the physical stuff that leads to problems and stick to ingame stuff that does not.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Because each country has different rules for their economic policies. It’s not worth the trouble going through all the legal processes for every country.

Posted by: Funky.4861

Funky.4861

Anet need to stop doing things which favour only one part of their customer base. Despite its’ country of origin, GW2 is an MMO- not an american-exclusive game and by doing US-only ‘sweepstakes’ Anet is generating a bitter taste for players in every region which cannot participate.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

… GW2 is an MMO- not an american-exclusive game and by doing US-only ‘sweepstakes’ Anet is generating a bitter taste for players in every region which cannot participate.

They’ve done it before, they’ll do it again. They refuse to learn.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

… GW2 is an MMO- not an american-exclusive game and by doing US-only ‘sweepstakes’ Anet is generating a bitter taste for players in every region which cannot participate.

It’s not a matter of learning, I’ll try to explain as best I can.

Sweepstakes in the US are simple, you enter, you win, you get the prize.

Sweepstakes in Canada are illegal if the winner is chosen at random (you have to be able to “earn” the prize, not get it by chance)

Sweepstakes in the UK can be considered gambling and need special permission from the UK government unless they fall under strict guidelines.

Sweepstakes in Australia require a permit if the winner is chosen at random.

Basically, each country has differerent rules and regulations for allowing someone to win a sweepstake and it’s difficult and time consuming to ensure that the sweepstake is legal in every country, hence why most companies will limit the participants to the US only.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Sweepstakes? What sweepstakes?

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Pretty much because of this.

Just to be clear, I’m just joking here. No hard feelings

Attachments:

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Windu The Forbidden One.6045)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Don’t forget, that before launch, they gave away some goodies to EU fans only, none for US. They were supposed to do another give-away for US, but it never happened. I’m not saying this is tit-for-tat, but that sometimes one group gets goodies, and sometimes, another.

It would be great if everyone got to participate in all things, but sometimes it’s just not feasible.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Umm, what sweepstakes? I haven’t seen anything on Facebook or on the main website.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Pretty much because of this

mwhahahaha! that made me laugh
- I am stealing your pick.
Also what sweepstakes?

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

If you don’t like it, you should contact your government and get your laws changed so that you can participate in something like this.

To have a sweepstake in your country, there are different rules that need to be followed and people in the U.S. won’t be able to participate because our laws are different than other countries.

It isn’t ANet’s fault that they can’t hold a sweepstake for all players from all countries at one time. In some cases, they won’t hold a contest for your country if they have to purchase a permit.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Berelious.3290

While I can’t blame people for continuing to follow up on the original post, the question still begs to be answered… What the heck sweepstakes are you talking about??

Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

If you’re talking about European governments that love to impose so many regulations and so much bureaucracy that nobody wants to deal with doing anything in their countries, then you’re quite correct.

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

If you’re talking about European governments that love to impose so many regulations and so much bureaucracy that nobody wants to deal with doing anything in their countries, then you’re quite correct.

No, I’m talking about Anet kitten ing off a rather large percentage of their player base, by offering content that many cannot participate in. Small guilds and guild missions for instance. Casual players and Ascended crafting, and these sorts of sweepstakes.

They’ve done it before, and they’ll do it again. They refuse to learn.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

(edited by Herr der Friedhoefe.2490)

Posted by: Qaelyn.7612

Qaelyn.7612

Yes, I knew what you meant, I was just turning it around to the parties I feel really are responsible.

There’s nothing for Arenanet to “learn” here. It’s an American company and there’s no reason they shouldn’t be able to hold a contest because foreign nations make it too much of a headache to allow their citizens to participate.

Posted by: AesirValkyr.7418

AesirValkyr.7418

As others have said, What sweepstakes are you talking about? Nothing on the ArenaNet homepage, forums, facebook, or twitter.

Maybe its a fan site sweepstake? ZAM or GuildHead or something?

Posted by: Isha.4278

Isha.4278

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Does not look like a legit site.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Just to clarify for some of the Americans: It’s not that sweepstakes aren’t permitted in European countries, or even that they’re difficult, time consuming or expensive to set up.

They can happen and do on an annoyingly regular basis. You can’t buy a magazine or newspaper in the UK without being showered with bits of paper trying to get you to enter prize draws for all kinds of junk.

It only gets to be a problem if you’re trying to run one contest in multiple different countries. Because then you have to find out and comply with all the different rules. That’s 28, just for the EU. About 50 for all of Europe and hundreds if you wanted to do it world-wide. It’s just not worth the time and effort for most companies.

On a related note I can’t find any mention of this on Facebook either.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Wow, how has this been going all December with no one mentioning it until now?

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Yes, I knew what you meant, I was just turning it around to the parties I feel really are responsible.

Governments in Europe and Canada are somehow responsible for Anets business and
game design decisions? Wow, that’s quite a stretch.

Posted by: Omega Mayhem.7163

Omega Mayhem.7163

Governments in Europe and Canada are somehow responsible for Anets business and
game design decisions? Wow, that’s quite a stretch.

You really don’t get it.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If that site were part of GuildWars 2, officially, would it be an external site? If it is something they are sponsoring, why wouldn’t it be part of the official site? Makes me wonder, anyway.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

I wouldn’t sweep that, the stakes are too high.

Looks fake, no official ties, nothing on the main news page, nothing on facebook, no advertising of the event at all that I can find.

Yeah, no thanks!

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

That is a good question. And one that for once makes me call out for a fast dev response.

This website is most likely fake. But still, as you can see below, it labels itself as an official Arenanet website.

If this is indeed fake, I think the devs should respond asap.

Attachments:

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

the dev’s will only be back to work on the 6th from what I understand- so don’t expect anything

Gunnar’s Hold

the dev’s will only be back to work on the 6th from what I understand- so don’t expect anything

Nope, according to the Dev Tracker they are still active on the forum.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Berelious.3290

I don’t believe that site is legit. Something is off with the HTML code, you can see a glaring error if you scroll down to the bottom and look in the lower left corner. Despite this, if this were a legit ANet sweepstakes it would have appeared as an official post on the Facebook page, and most likely could be linked from the main website.

Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

(edited by Berelious.3290)

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Greetings all!

Yes, this is a proper contest. To answer the OP about why it is US based only, it is because it is a partnership contest run with US TV Networks.