teq defense -- why do people ignore it?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

When commanders and other veterans of the event are saying we need people on turrets and defense or the event will fail why do people ignore it? It is not like people on defense can not get event credit, after all, most of the defensive teams run to teq after the first battery stage anyway.

I always play one of the defensive teams in the first quarter except for the rare occasion when they are all full. Why would I do that if I did not expect the chests at the end?

It is the same with other big bosses like TT. If everyone just zergs 100% of the time the whole thing will fail.

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

Caveat – I am not down there every day. I only do Teq once in a while. That said…

I have never seen defenses ignored. In fact, the lead-up discussions in chat seem to focus more on the various defense positions than on the zerg. I am not sure what the fight would look like without the defenses since I have never tried it. Would be interested in others’ experiences…if they have done the fight without worrying about defenses.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Got to say, as someone regularly on the defensive teams, it’s extremely rare for me to see this. The only time I saw the defence completely ignored as the actual tactic was during the bugged period recently, otherwise there’s always a dedicated team at each turret set.

I think people find the turrets a bit of a turn off due to the reliance on them and if they aren’t doing the right thing, players start yelling over and over in map chat. That will put people off. But, in general it always seems to work itself out in my experience.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

I rarely see defenses not fill up in time for teq. If you are on the map too early, chances are a lot are afk and just not responding for that reason.

As for me, I like the zerg. I know I can survive in it and I feel like my ele is able to do a lot there. I have high dps on teq, I can reach the fingers with range, and I tend to res a lot of downed people. If it’s getting close and nobody will take a turret, I will do that (and then keep calling out for someone to come replace me :P). I guess I don’t find defense as fun as being in the thick of the teq fight.

Menadena.7482

Almost every day lately it is like pulling teeth to get people for the hills, particularly the north ones. I cheer when a guild arrives that has it down cold because they know the defense is key.

BTW, how much instructions does a zerg need anyhow? Aim at it and press your action buttons? Use any conjured weapons around you? Do not stand in a red circle? REALLY?

Last night we finally get 5 in the south hills about a minute before he landed. The north hills had it even worse …. empty until the last moment when 3 people reluctantly volunteered. That is not an unusual occurrence lately, before teqs strength was changed defense positions often started filling up an hour beforehand.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

If you see too many problem with defenses, chances are you’re probably showing up late to setup and getting the overflow maps. You have to show up to these events at least 15 min early (30 if you want to catch the organized groups).

If you are following the world boss train and only show up 2 min before he pops, its not surprise the defenses are not organized.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

i never expect to get into a ‘main’ teq instance if i don’t show up 45 in advance.

The later ones may fill up but in my experience (and seemingly yours), success rate is… low.

Menadena.7482

As for me, I like the zerg. I know I can survive in it and I feel like my ele is able to do a lot there. I have high dps on teq, I can reach the fingers with range, and I tend to res a lot of downed people. If it’s getting close and nobody will take a turret, I will do that (and then keep calling out for someone to come replace me :P). I guess I don’t find defense as fun as being in the thick of the teq fight.

I play an ele all the time for it. My strategy is to attune to fire whenever I am defending then go to water when running back to Teq. With water I still do damage to teq but also heal people around me by using the cooling mist trait. Throwing ice bows and fire swords when you can helps too.

(edited by Menadena.7482)

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The later ones may fill up but in my experience (and seemingly yours), success rate is… low.

I only show up ~10 minutes early and have had a 100% success rate since the crit change.

Menadena.7482

Success rate when I am there is high and I try to be 45 mins to an hour early. The problem is those of us that know what we are doing have to spend all the prep time practically having to drag people to be on a defense team. We would rather be troubleshooters (‘We need someone at xyz because a party member disconnected! Thanks for volunteering so fast!’) and teach new people winning strategies.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I usually get there 15 minutes early and it can be like pulling teeth to get someone on a defense team. There have been times when no defense team gets set up on South hills at all. I used to get on North hills but switched to south after a couple of times where no one at all had set up south by the time the event started and the turrets got swarmed.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: TwoGhosts.6790

TwoGhosts.6790

Turret defence is perhaps my favourite part of the event. I always do it :-)

Whether or not turret defence is going well is usually a really good indicator as to how well the whole event is going to go. If it’s one where we’ve got the defence locked down and under good control, chances are the event is gonna go smooth.

~TG

Posted by: innocens.1582

innocens.1582

was in a instance without any commanders. I allways stay to see what happens.

organized west defense, wich went smooth, but when i asked someone to organise east
there was no response. After 2 requests i gave up on asking.

Teq failed 8-)
Now i see all these people with titles like legendary this and that and loads of sunbringers lol.
How can this be ?
Are they just sheep who can only run after a colored dot? I hope not haha

edit: i dont mean to insult anyone

a man who doesnt make mistakes doesnt do anything

Posted by: Koomaster.9176

Koomaster.9176

Sometimes it might take a while, but I’ve never seen defenses empty. Especially turrets, those are always filled.

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

i’m so used to facerolling teq daily i didn’t realise people still fail this sometimes…

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

• Why would anyone want to run turrets, considering how often they are criticized ?
  • I’ve never been in a map that didn’t get full teams for defense.
  • Human nature tells us that most people would rather do less for more; defense requires doing more for the same.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: MasterJediSoda.5926

MasterJediSoda.5926

Most of the time these days I go there 5-10 minutes prior, and it usually succeeds. I have had times though where we had to fight to get people on defense – it seemed like a fair number of people were afk, and others just ignored those of us who were trying to fill defenses.

I was trying to get people on south hills, and just before teq started I finally had 2 more people join, for 4. One person didn’t actually do anything before running off, and after a few minutes, the third person who joined gave up – they said it was too hard, and ran back into the zerg. Meanwhile we still had people in the area, spawning champs – and meanwhile the west side was having some trouble. Predictably, we lost the fight, and people started screaming about how they had never seen Teq fail, and how miserable we all were. I got to that map about 20 minutes before the event started.

I can agree with some people just wanting to stick to the zerg where, some would say, they don’t have to think as much. Then, when you’re struggling, sometimes you’ll have people who think it’s too hard and they should run back to the zerg where they’re comfortable – even though that makes it harder for the rest of the people still on defense, when we need more, not less – and they don’t seem to listen and realize that, if no one puts in the effort, no one’s going to get the reward they’re spending at least 15-20 minutes for.

Main: Mithren Lunalit, Mesmer
Member of Legion of Honour [XIII]
http://operationunion.enjin.com/

Menadena.7482

The people I find really funny are when it is pretty obvious it is going to fail. Bone walls, some turrets completely unmanned, only a few people (none with a commander tag on), and teq nearly at 100% health after enough time that he should be 75%.

Then they wonder why people laugh at such a situation, cut our losses, and go elsewhere.

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

I know there are people I party with that refuse to do defense because of the demand that they leave the party they’re already in. I understand why it’s asked but that doesn’t matter when someone asks you to do something and then starts making demands some people don’t take it that well.

Posted by: Emergencee.8259

Emergencee.8259

As far as I can tell, people don’t like to do turrets because of the amount of abuse that turrets get when something doesn’t go well. People are always barking orders at them and blaming them when things go wrong or are taking too long. I have infinite respect for people who regularly do turrets because I personally won’t be willing take that kind of heat.

S boats has a hard time drawing people because champs spawn there, but people pop in and out from the zerg all the time, so it’s not too bad if you’re missing a few. Same, to some extent, with S hills. S boats tends to work double duty these days and, again, the zerg tends to lend a hand whenever they notice things are getting iffy.

I’ve never seen N boats not full, though, and N hills seems to be pretty easy to fill as well.

Posted by: GlitchyBat.3682

GlitchyBat.3682

I hop into a map 20-15 minutes early, toss up a Dorito if no one else has one so the zerg can anchor in, and tonic into a teragriff and dance until Tequddle spawns. I can’t remember the last bad organization because most people there have done it enough to collectively start and organize themselves. The most I usually do is mapchat to check in on defenses and turrets within the 15 minutes before, and eventually someone will call the lfXg defense message if something’s underfunded.

If everyone’s dancing around banners, food, and an occasional bobblehead factory, you’re probably good to go. A map 20 minutes old should eventually get that.

[OWLS] Priory Elder Dragon Research Team
[EDS] Elder Dragon Sympathizers

Menadena.7482

As far as I can tell, people don’t like to do turrets because of the amount of abuse that turrets get when something doesn’t go well. People are always barking orders at them and blaming them when things go wrong or are taking too long. I have infinite respect for people who regularly do turrets because I personally won’t be willing take that kind of heat.

Generally people start with minor statements of where defenses are needed and such. As it gets closer to the time though those calls get more desperate.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I think it’s because players believe manning and using turrets will deny them a chest if Teq is successful. That they won’t have done the damage threshold to get any or the best chest.

That’s how every other boss event works, hit the boss first, hit the boss often, get the top tier reward.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Vileste.7148

Vileste.7148

I’m talking about during the actual battle. “KITTENING TURRETS KITTENING PRESS 2.”

Oh yes, this is so annoying. Zerg zombies don’t get that the turrets
- may get destroyed if defense isn’t good enough
- turret users get dragged out of their turret for the reason above
- turrets even get glitchy and you can’t use any skill for some time

Many start to panic when there are only 6-8 scales. It’s the same when I command the Top Line for Vinewrath and our ammo gets empty shortly after the second champion is defeated. Other lines start screaming “wtf shouldn’t top be fighting now” or they write “fail map” even though we didn’t even enter yet. I always write “calm your ti- er kittens”, but it seems like every “new” map has those “nervous” players who need everyting done asap. Doing a job with a little bit more responsibility is almost never thanked in any MMO (same thing when you are a healer in WoW), since if something goes wrong, YOU are to blame

That being said, I didn’t really have problems to organize the defense groups for Tequatl so far. Finding 6 turret users is more challenging sometimes, but if you enter the map at least 10 minutes before the event starts, you usually find enough volunteers who can do more than faceroll all day long.

(edited by Vileste.7148)

Menadena.7482

I actually had a GREAT defense team last night on the south hills for a change. We formed quickly (even though we only had 10 minutes to do so) and the leader of the group issued a series of instructions on how to do the defense. What is even more amazing was we even stuck together during the defensive stages. I am not sure about the other teams though as we were timing things constantly so we could cover the south hills, the south boat, and, when we still had time, some of the fingers.

Looking around it seemed like people were from multiple guilds. So I was shocked to see something put together in a few minutes that is a struggle to do in an hour.

Posted by: quietscribe.1573

quietscribe.1573

I only recently started doing Teq again, and always go on Northern defense nearest the water. The only time I have had it fail lately was when I tried it during the early evening, when people didn’t seem to know what to do as well. That was a bit of a disaster.

I usually always do Teq when the daily resets (he spawns 1 min after reset), having logged in there maybe 20 mins before then. At this time of the night people always seem to know what they are doing, and just get on with it. Its pleasant enough and runs fine. I haven’t witnessed any shouting at turreteers or otherwise, perhaps because people that log in for this one know its going to go smoothly like always.

Posted by: Arantheal.7396

Arantheal.7396

I usually just command one of the attack-teams.

That being said, too many ppl on defense will scale it up, so you usually want to have 10-15 ppl there max.
I’ve not seen defense failing in quite some time, except for the recent teq bug, where we all would camp on the max-dps spot.
If you see around 15 ppl on both turret-rows, join the front teams, and please don’t run trough the turrets if you died and have to respawn. That scales up the event as well. Go to the north battery, take the jump platform, and then head directly to your side from the mega-laser.

Engineer is love, Engineer is life.

Menadena.7482

Yes, oddly I have seen better teams thrown together at the last minute (actually, one time I arrived right AFTER the reset because I was busy with something). Which is odd because with most things the good maps are the ones that fill up first.

Posted by: Eleri Tezhme.3048

Eleri Tezhme.3048

I almost always do turrets because I’m more effective at them than zerging about.

I’ve not been where people are yelling at me, but I think that it’s because I’ve lucked out and been mostly on maps where one commander is calling time (in map chat, and not assuming that everyone is on their TS) and is very clearly stating when various turret skills need deployed, and where.