the game needs new weapon skills

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

In my opinion, the game is in need of weapon skills; not new weapons, not new utility skills, not various professions getting new access to existing weapons…new weapon skills.

After more than a year of using the same five weapon skills on your weapon of choice, are you not ready for something fresh? “Why not just use a new weapon skill?” I hear you ask. What if you’ve already sunk hundreds of hours and hundreds of gold into getting that Legendary you like so much? Now you’re faced with the decision of using the same five weapon skills you’ve been using for 14 months or mothballing the weapon skin into which you’ve so heavily invested.

Suppose you really like the look and feel of a certain weapon type, but you don’t like how it plays. Say you like the look of a hammer-wielding warrior, but you don’t see much use for a crowd control weapon in dungeons or Fractals. Or perhaps you’d love to run Bifrost on your elementalist, but you don’t want to be relegated to a support role in group play, or worse…you play solo most of the time and all of those support skills do you little to no good.

Or suppose you’re still happy with your weapon of choice, but the developers completely change a staple ability for the sake of PvP. You, a PvE player, now have 1/5th of your weapon skills rendered completely useless overnight. Wouldn’t you love the ability to change that weapon skill out for something more useful to your build? Better yet, wouldn’t you love it if the developers had an avenue through which they could add new skills without completely changing the existing skills you’ve to rely upon?

Finally, suppose each weapon had a dozen or more weapon skills with which you could customize your build. Would theorycrafting – or “deck building” – not be an enjoyable thing part of the game? Would having the choice to take one group of skills for PvE and another for PvP not be a good thing? I, for one, think the game would benefit tremendously from the having new weapon skills.

Posted by: Rskin.4901

Rskin.4901

+1, and hopefully it happens soon, getting bored of the current skills

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

In the MMO I played before I had over 100 skills. I used 10-15 of them regularly while fighting.

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

In the MMO I played before I had over 100 skills. I used 10-15 of them regularly while fighting.

100? What game was this?

To the OP, yea kinda knew that this would start to become boring eventually. Maybe they could come up with a system where you level up a move the more you use it and are able to unlock different styles or particle effects. I don’t know, maybe. I wouldn’t hold your breath for new moves altogether tho… They can barely balance the ones we already have.

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

I agree, it would be nice.

Lol also curious what MMO had 100 skills and you only used 10-15 of them…

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

GW2 currently has 80+ skills spanning the different classes/races, and people generally use 1 regularly. That is, 1 “autoattack”.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Posted by: Lopez.7369

Lopez.7369

No, it doesn’t. Anyone who makes this claim doesn’t understand basic concepts and design for Guild Wars 2.

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I absolutely cannot agree more. Look at Warrior GS, the skill setup is a mess. #4 and #5 have zero use in PvE and thus are just basically wasted slots.

In the absence of no new weapon skills, at least allow you to change out weapon skills for utility skills if you so wish.

I’d rather see an imbalanced game than a boring one.

(edited by Xae Isareth.1364)

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

This is a valid point and considering the game isn’t exactly balanced as it is, doesn’t fun take the priority?

(yet another GW1 comparison) I loved bringing ‘useless’ skills and builds to pve in GW1 like mimic skills where I steal the enemies spells etc. because 1) it was actually viable lol and 2) it was fun. Who cares about performance as long as you’re having fun? That’s what organized groups are for.

+1 for a ton more skills.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

I absolutely cannot agree more. Look at Warrior GS, the skill setup is a mess. #4 and #5 have zero use in PvE and thus are just basically wasted slots.

In the absence of no new weapon skills, at least allow you to change out weapon skills for utility skills if you so wish.

I use warrior skill 5 to charge at a far away enemy, to close a gap, or to just move faster. The strike if you reach the target deals decent damage, more than an autoattack. And I use skill 4 everytime I whirl through the enemy with Skill 3 to cripple him.

Posted by: Keyska.4105

Keyska.4105

Tbh thats how Gw1 was and it was amazing. But just like now you would be limited by total you can use in world.

It works out for all if they still did.. If anything not carrying that over from 1 was foolish.
(No matter what the stand outs and cookie cutting would happen.)
But it would have given a whole lot more to do collecting them and more flare to the game. They had np dealing with it before. The it would have said just as much flexibility with Gw2 skills but did not come through on that at all that at all.
If anything faaaar less skills and the constantly destroying balance to pve from pvp or vice versa.

They said new skills and weapons are otw… But a full year of such limits with weapon swapping or not is just not cool.
Besides id rather have more skills to pick from then doing it via weapon swapping.
People who originally Q’d imo now were right. Its to forced.
(Being that they promised any weapon of choice would be equally usable; play the way you want. That def did not pan out either…)
Im forced to use a weapon just to use the skill but hate the weapon..tuff luck. And I dont mean cosmetically. Lots of weapons are still just crud..not just in balance but only having 2 decent skills. Thats why we need more. Not more utility skills more weapon skills to chose from. Let us build our weapons just like skills in Gw1 I saw.
That would be amazing.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Yeah, it’s time. What really needs to be done is new weapon types to open up more build possibilities.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

WoW had me memorize 400 skill slots.

You can imagine why I’m bored with the 80 we have

Posted by: SchuMidas.4782

SchuMidas.4782

+1

10 active slot with 400 skill type to choose is great way to play

SchuMidas – Guardian
Guild Pro Baddies [Pro] @ Tarnished Coast

Posted by: grim.5043

grim.5043

please guild wars dont be like bungie listen to your players. i quit playing this game shortly after it came out because of lack of skill choice. the classes and game play are boring without the choice to create and play new builds on a regular bases. you hit home with guild wars 1 when you had tons of options and i will say i was very disappointed when i switched over to htis game.

Posted by: Webba.3071

Webba.3071

Would love the ability to slot a variety of weapon specific skills into the 2-5 slots (eg having 2-3 different sword skill 2s, skill 3s etc etc), its a great idea. Doubt Anet will go for it though, they are obsessed with balance through simplicity.

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

I’d agree with this. The #1 skill should probably remain as-is, however there should be a pool of maybe 8 to 10 other weapons skills that could be slotted in places #2 through #5.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Not to be dismissive about it, but why have our weapon skills list look like our utility skills list? At least half of the utility skills are trash, in every class. It’s wasted design effort. It’d be the same with new weapon skills.

There are entire weapons that don’t get used often, for whatever reason. Adding skill alternates wouldn’t really change that. Or, if people did, then it would be the result of power creep, which is equally as bad in design.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

This is a valid point and considering the game isn’t exactly balanced as it is, doesn’t fun take the priority?

(yet another GW1 comparison) I loved bringing ‘useless’ skills and builds to pve in GW1… it was fun. Who cares about performance as long as you’re having fun?

+1 for a ton more skills.

Same, I used to make builds for me and my heroes all the time and would be constantly using new combinations. I didn’t just grab the latest and greatest builds from PvX then moan the game had few usable skills. Got 50/50 in my HoM this way so guess it proves that more skills were viable than people care to admit.

I confess though, I still had those builds for dailies pugging with people wearing blinkers who couldn’t see past PvX Wiki.

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

I do like the base idea, of having more skills to exchange specific weapon skills you don’t like, use, etc to create variety on weapons. Also specifically to change out how a weapon plays from power/condi/hybrid etc.

I don’t think that they should go berserk with this, even 1-2 new skills per weapon that we could change out would make a world of difference, and alter the playstyles available for each class/weapon.

I know many have nostalgia for GW1, but I for one doesn’t miss the 100++ skills at all, and much prefer the system used in GW2. And I think they should spend more time on making each existing option viable, rather than just adding more unviable stuff on top.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

What’s interesting to me is that, despite the hours I’ve played, I’m constantly learning new ways to use these skills differently.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

First off, I’m all for customizing weapon attacks. I was hoping this would come to fruition bout a year or two ago, didn’t happen.

But it’s not simply something you add.

• First, there would have to be a list of skills to always be an auto-attack function like the 1 key is now. So that skill is a staple.
  • Second, creating a new skill for every weapon, then creating the animation for that skill across all the races is very time consuming.
  • Third, and always the looming threat, balance. New skills that will interact with traits could make some weapon OP suddenly, thus push out other playstyles.

Posted by: Fox.3469

Fox.3469

I absolutely do not agree with the op, weapons are fine, and should stay as they are.

No, it doesn’t. Anyone who makes this claim doesn’t understand basic concepts and design for Guild Wars 2.

I get that feeling aswell. Suggesting this clearly shows a total lack of understanding of the GW2 combat system imo.

If you are looking for a cozy mature Dutch guild (EU) let me know.

(edited by Fox.3469)

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I absolutely do not agree with the op, weapons are fine, and should stay as they are.

I get that feeling aswell. Suggesting this clearly shows a total lack of understanding of the GW2 combat system imo

Well, perhaps in the last year since the OP posted this thread s/he has learned better understanding?

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

Think OP may not be considering the crazy amount of work it takes to balance skills in a game like this. Sure we could have all new skills on a fairly frequent basis but that would mean everything else comes down to a grinding halt. I’d suggest if you’re truly bored with all the skills across all the professions in the game… go do something else for awhile and come back feeling refreshed.