@ the negativity here on these forums

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pawstruck.9708

Pawstruck.9708

Hi, I’m Pawstruck, and I’m going to try to break the mould a little bit. Threads here are usually either hyper-critical “this game sucks omgomg” or borderline psychopathic “I LIKE GW2 AND YOU CAN’T TELL ME ANY DIFFERENT,” head-in-the-sand-ers.

I’m not a master player; honestly I haven’t even hit 80 yet due to RL responsibilities and computer issues. I’ve heard there’s an issue with endgame content, and I’m sure it’s true. A-net wanted to break people of the “MUST GET SHINY” mentality from WoW, and that’s great in concept… but, from what I can see, they’re hitting some rough terrain in execution.

My thing is… so what? Yes, there are things that bug me about the game. Glitches suck. Vanilla abilities/traits that do almost nothing? They suck. But I don’t pay a subscription, and we’ve been told there are some major “expansion-level” renovations coming down the line. I hope that’s true, and I hope to continue playing for a long time — if I can get my stupid computer fixed. -_-

TLDR: A-net, you have some great ideas, but admittedly missed the mark on some execution issues. I hope the game is still considered a success, and I hope you stay afloat.

(Feel free to post overall opinions, but let’s not devolve into emotive whining or blind praises, ok?)

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

All game forums are full of negativity, because the people having fun are playing. Also you only ever get about 10% of a game’s population ever going near the forums, so that also skews it.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Scoompoof.4657

Scoompoof.4657

I love this game. I have been a long time Anet fan, and dont see it changing. Every time Anet announces something that has me slightly worried, they prove me wrong. The absence of a dedicated healer, the Gem shop, and Ascended gear all had me a little worried, but I was wrong.

Cant wait for future expansions and additions. I hope for NEW RACES/ CLASSES/ PROFESSIONS someday :P

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

because the people having fun are playing.

That doesn’t really cut it anymore.

Even though I enjoy the game when I’m playing, I’ve seen, and felt a lot of negative things while playing as well, which have made me post about the negative effects in the game.

Posted by: Crimzen.6531

Crimzen.6531

All game forums are full of negativity, because the people having fun are playing. Also you only ever get about 10% of a game’s population ever going near the forums, so that also skews it.

Basically this. Most of the forum community makes up a very small portion of the overall community. Check any other MMORPG forum and you’ll encounter the same thing. The forum posters are pretty much the vocal minority. Your average player barely goes to the forums, generally speaking anyway.

As far as the games lifespan, I think GW2 is doing pretty well for an MMO in this current market to be honest. It won game of the year, and also nominated and/or won several other awards. Websites like gamebreaker.tv actually had their community vote on who should take different categories and GW2 won every single category it was nominated for. We see them continuing to push out content updates, as well as improve on current aspects of the game. Maybe not as fast as we’d all like, but they are happening. All in all I think they are going to be pretty successful in the long run.

Guild leader of Kaiketsu<kai>
Home: Sanctum Of Rall
Profession: Thief

(edited by Crimzen.6531)

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

A few months ago I would have agreed with you but now…. A-Net talks a great game but their actions don’t reflect what they preach.

Just look at what you said about the breaking away from the “must get the shiny”, that was the message they conveyed but then they introduced FotM and stuck a new tier of BiS gear in it.

Hard to keep faith especially when they keep promising to be more open and when they actually answer questions all they say is we might or might not at some point in the future implement that…. maybe.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

It’s normal. Most people only needed to post when they have problems or find some inadequacy in the game. The rest just reads it.

Also, aren’t you being negative yourself.

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Five months in an you haven’t hit 80 yet you are taking issue with the criticism/praise of the game by others who have clocked many hours? At least you’re not going into specifics because clearly you haven’t experienced many of them, but the general sentiment that someone is being too negative when you haven’t reached the end game… why bother?

As far as not paying a subscription fee. When did people’s mentality become “I’m not paying money to actively play so my time is no longer valuable and I will accept a sub par experience,”? My time is valuable to me, apparently yours is too if you have so much going on in life you haven’t hit 80 yet (or you don’t much care for the game that you don’t bother playing it).

Not paying a subscription fee is never an excuse for the developers to get away with anything. In fact, ArenaNet themselves said that having no subscription fee meant they had to earn any revenue they made by putting out good updates to keep people invested. They argued subscription fees take your money whether the game puts out the content to justify it. We need to kill of this idea that not paying a subscription fee means GW2 has lower standards than subscription MMOs. It’s insulting to the consumers and it’s insulting to the developers.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

I’m sorry, but when the developers get it wrong, then you’ll see a much larger % of the playerbase on here with something to gripe at (need I remind you of the disastrous Nov 15th update?).

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: gold.3025

gold.3025

I think the real reason why we see so many ridiculous posts is because this has been the most successful MMO in years, and people who don’t like the game are extra determined to see it fail because of the idea that there can only be one successful game on the market

Posted by: Osculim.2983

Osculim.2983

People will always moan about something. This is how i see the whole thing when wow started out there were just as many complaints etc now a couple of years down the line with all the patches fixes expansions etc no one can find any fault with it.

In comes GW2 a couple months into its lifetime and what do you know people moaning bout everything that is wrong with it. Now wait another 7 or so years when everything is fixed and its just perfect then comes the next mmo and i can bet the new mmo gonna have the same issue of people moaning how crap it is in comparison with gw2.

This type of thing have been going on for years and will for years to come. Sure gw2 have problems now but im one of those people thinking long term in the end those problems will have been resolved and it will be great. People are just so impatient these days/.

Posted by: korgoth.5924

korgoth.5924

i found as a rule… if you are a new player DO NOT READ THE FORUMS…..

whether you believe it or not the negativity or bias towoards whatever class or subject will rub off on you

this is the power of suggestion…

how do you think certain governments not naming names stay in power… when the people out number them a million to one

the good rule is play the game on your own with no help what soever from forums .. just the other players you encounter.. after you experience things and form your own opinion … then venture into the depths of depravity…

….. 2 cents

No man is an island, but a bunch of dead bodies make a pretty good raft.

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

whether you believe it or not the negativity or bias towoards whatever class or subject will rub off on you

how do you think certain governments not naming names stay in power… when the people out number them a million to one

the good rule is play the game on your own with no help what soever from forums .. just the other players you encounter.. after you experience things and form your own opinion … then venture into the depths of depravity…

….. 2 cents

But then you won’t know about the 101 bugs in the game that could get you broke in game

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

korgoth.5924

….. 2 cents

But then you won’t know about the 101 bugs in the game that could get you broke in game

broke money wise or game play?

i never even visited the forums on this game since beta untill i got my first 80…

and the said… bugs that affected me were already know to me… mostly

mostly….

Posted by: kKagari.6804

kKagari.6804

….. 2 cents

broke money wise or game play?

i never even visited the forums on this game since beta untill i got my first 80…

and the said… bugs that affected me were already know to me… mostly

mostly….

I was slightly exaggerating but I see you get my point. There is a lot of good information on these forums buried in mostly legitimate complaints.

“We just don’t want players to grind in GW2” – C. Johanson
“it doesn’t make you spend hours preparing to have fun, rather than having fun”
Guild missions say otherwise.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

When you:
- are perceived as breaking promises and core ideals
- having poor class balance which is getting worse
- release content patch after content patch with more and more bugs
- are perceived as not moving fast enough in improving the game and fixing issues
- appear to be funnelling players towards buying gems
- have one of the more unrewarding games around
- are perceived as screwing with players via anti player practices like DR
- are perceived generally as providing poor live support

then there will be negativety.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

I have to agree with what others are saying here. In game, on the forums and in real life, a lot of the people I know who play or did play GW2 have a general sense of disappointment. Everybody has their little gripes. And ANet would be foolish to ignore the extreme number of gripes. It’s out of hand. Even I have been noticing it and I love to talk – but not argue – about GW2.

But I don’t think that the negativity is the player’s fault. FunCom had the same problem with Age of Conan and it was a ghost town in six months. GW2 won’t be, because ANet will fix it, it is free to play and because it is actually a lot of fun for a while.

There is a lot of good and even more potential in GW2. And whenever you get that perfect mix of realized and unrealized potential, large amounts of players and five years of over-hyping you’re bound to have a lot of negativity. Not just because a lot of people have been disappointed but also because they have vested so much of their hope for the MMORPG genre in GW2.

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

yeah im in a preaty big guild…. im the only one ((after asking a few time’)) that go’s to the forums…. they keep telling me to stop… but man i need to get my fix when i am at work

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

When you:
- are perceived as not moving fast enough in improving the game and fixing issues

so right as people have been saying EVERY MMO FORUM EVER!@$#Q@@$

korgoth.5924

When you:

so right as people have been saying EVERY MMO FORUM EVER!@$#Q@@$

the problem with this forum i have found so far… is

THEY HAVE ACTUALLY BEEN LISTENING TO THEM… for good and bad…. mostly bad

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

The problem is really the worst of the players coming to the forums to whine, and others being too puppy to actually debate.

My position is as follows. This game is not GW1, it is exactly what GW1 would have been with an open world. Neither is it perfect but that shouldn’t mean it’s a bad game. There’s room for improvement yet it has a very solid foundation. Because of that, GW2 is more or less the best MMO on the market, and cheapest to boot.

That’s the most neutral and correct thing you can say about this game. Many people lack the power to look in perspectives. “Not perfect” does not equal bad. Oftentimes it just means “the game is pretty good”

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Turgut.4397

Turgut.4397

The number of negative posts will always greatly outnumber the positives in any game forum. Why? People are in-game enjoying the positives, or they do not need improving. The negatives? 90% of these posts are from people who’ve quit/about to quit, and just here to seek attention. The remaining 10% are actually thoughtful posts including suggestions on how to improve, instead of “omg anet u sux y u hav dis in d gaem/y dnt u hav dis in d game!! add nao or me leeve!”

Still waiting for the things I love about GW1.

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

Really the best way to enjoy games is to not go to the forums. Forums for all games are a depressing place.

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

GW2 Discussion area = the same 5 kittens complaining about:
a) How the game is too hard.

b) Poorly informed players displaying how little they know about the game.

c) Wanting GW2 to be another MMO, (but they still play this MMO). GO PLAY THE OTHER GAME.

d) Posts like this https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/When-will-devs-be-held-accountable/first#post1173210

Wow the discussion forum is just low-brow wasteland.

(edited by Soulstar.7812)

Posted by: Pawstruck.9708

Pawstruck.9708

Five months in an you haven’t hit 80 yet you are taking issue with the criticism/praise of the game by others who have clocked many hours? At least you’re not going into specifics because clearly you haven’t experienced many of them, but the general sentiment that someone is being too negative when you haven’t reached the end game… why bother?

You’re assuming that playing the game for a long time and experiencing all the content would make me a self-righteous cynic (like you). I don’t think it will, but since neither of us can predict the future, let’s let the ad hominims go, eh?

Posted by: Livius.2465

Livius.2465

Hi! I was going to post something clever to rebut all this negativity, to conclusively demonstrate how GW2, while certainly having its flaws, is still the best MMO in the world …

…but then I realized how much time it would take and how’d Id rather spend that time PLAYING, so I’m just going to jump back in the game and keep having FUN!

Bye! Don’t wait up!

Posted by: SolitaryJr.9654

SolitaryJr.9654

Really the best way to enjoy games is to not go to the forums. Forums for all games are a depressing place.

Agree on what creeper said.

If I have read the forum before I start the game…
I can tell that I definitely will not buy the game.

It’s good to have players to complain about the game, but what I have seen is that most of the complaining topics are just telling everyone that they want the game to be like the way they want, or “I will quit”…

Some of friends have quit just because of those topics. I think that’s what the posts are meant to be…?

Oh well, if people who doesn’t like the game…why don’t just quit and move along??

Charrs – Thief(80), Guardian(80), Engineer(80), Warrior(80)
[Resting atm :)]

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

I’ve seen so far in these forums:

- Game is a grind!
- Game lacks grinding!
- Game is very different from GW1
- Game is whole new game, not GW1!
- Game suks!
- Game is awesome!
- The left the game and my sad story!
- New to the game, and fun that it is!
- Jumping puzzles in W3 suks!
- Jumping puzzles in W3 are awesome!
- Progression suks!
- Progression is awesome!
- X class, needs a nerf
- X class, needs a boost!
- Don’t ban exploiters!
- Ban exploiters!

By this i show that players are entitled to their own opinion, but everyone have their history and how they invision this as a perfect game. Many ragequtted the game, and still crawl around in the forums kittening around, just to justify their ragequitting. Lack of consensus is pretty usual in public forums, and this is no different. However there are some topics that everyone agrees and those are the ones that should be looked (Like legendary/precursors, sPvP issues, culling, incorrect skills and so forth). A constructive approach on feedback would be better.

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

people dont actually care about other classes they dont main!
when they go to wvw/pvp and they are beeing slaughtered, they come to forum and whine about them, hoping that class would get nerved.
and when its not their class thats got nerved, they celebrate!
when someone post a vid about their class and shows how good it is, they complain about how bad the other player is so they dont have a chance to be nerved themself.
they play other class they dont main at the mist for 20 minutes and say things on the forum like they’ve been playing that class for 500hour.
they like convinience and view other classes as enemies that they will encaunter sooner or later. and whine 24/7 bout them in hoping to make their next encaunter with them lots easier because of nerf.
they talk bout how balanced their class is dispite the advantage they have above other classes.
they dont give a **** about the hard time some classes/builds have at PVE.
….
its a battle out here…

Posted by: bamono.7098

bamono.7098

I love this game. Haven’t even played sPvP at all, just getting into WvW. Main guy is 80, still haven’t finished my story, map completion, all the jps, all the bosses, haven’t hit every dungeon, every path in every dungeon, the FoTM (I’ve done 6 I think?), two other clubs to join, haven’t gotten anywhere CLOSE to a legendary…plus achievements and the almost monthly events that have been going on…I’ve mastered 2 crafts…out of 8. If you like most or all areas of this game, there is a TON of content here. Everything you do gives you some from of progression-even after 80.

To be honest, after “end-game” (which is what exactly? It’s really hard to define in a game like this…) I still have a lot to do, though I am debating doing all the jps, bosses and craft professions on alts…with what, SEVEN other classes and FOUR other races?

Not to say some things start to feel a bit tedious after awhile…forcing you into every nook and cranny kind of takes away to sense of exploration and finding hidden things for me…but then again, if you look hard enough, you’ll find things like random chests in a cave and gardens of crafting mats. I even played the TP for awhile.

I don’t know man, to be honest, I think the people that get bored with this game so quickly are playing for one or two aspects of it, which is totally fine, but they have a LOT of different things going on, and it will take some time to flesh a few things out completely. I trust that they will. Everything I’ve learned about Game Design has went into this game-honestly. It’s almost textbook. They really care about it and it comes through in the game.

EDIT: Since my other post got deleted by a mod, I’ll put it here, with the rest of my opinion about the game….which is on topic considering this is what the thread is about…

The culling issues should have been addressed awhile ago. This is a legit complaint from many people about the game.

(edited by bamono.7098)

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

The problem is really the worst of the players coming to the forums to whine, and others being too puppy to actually debate.

At least some of of what I listed is not really up for debate:

- Ascended items are clearly against their original manifesto
- Loot drops from the open world and DEs are significantly less than fractals or dungeons
- class balance is still poor
- they are moving very slowly to fix issues eg. culling
etc etc

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

Two cliches: history will proof who is more right and the truth lays in the middle.

The really negative and the exceptionally positive threads are so very often removed by the moderator. Many times I start my reaction and the thread is already deleted in the mean time.

I must say of my friends most don’t play or play very little. Maybe GW2 is not matching with me or the crowed I hang out with. Maybe there is a problem. Imo, there is a problem with guilds, the famous “solo game where people play next to each other”. The game doesn’t suck, the story is really nice and the pre-80 environment is really lively. As it is right now, however, the game doesn’t keep its players well enough. History will proof if this is a (game breaking) problem.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I have clocked about 1600 hours, and I like this game. I came in knowing that their vanilla focus would be on making the world and the leveling experience (five races and their starter zones), and that the post-80 content would mostly be released in expansions (paid and free).

Knowing that, I have not been disappointed. A lot of other games skipped the earlier content in favor of dungeons, but earlier zones help the game’s initial longevity and replayability. I think that, even though it made the endgame types angry, that it was the right choice.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

Thank you everyone for your positive and constructive posts so far, we really appreciate it.

Please keep this thread civil & constructive.

Posted by: Mickey.4207

Mickey.4207

Forums are both for positive as well as negative opinions. I wonder why people get bothered by negativity so much?

Games improve only because of the ‘negative people’. Positive people who do nothing but praise game to 7th heaven add nothing to future improvement of the game.

I would rather read the negative posts than gushing fans giving high fives to each other.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Games improve because of positive feedback, too, because then the developers know what they’re doing right. A game should have gushing fans, that means that they are connecting with their players.

(And it means that they can gauge who likes what they’re doing, as opposed to the ‘endgame sux this game is dying need moar raids’ crowd.) And I think that it bothers that crowd that people DO like how GW is going so far overall, because they feel that it undermines their complaints.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

(edited by Sylv.5324)

Posted by: Bean.1247

Bean.1247

When im happy I don’t feel the need to discuss it on the forums yet when im not I tend to post and see if it is just me or if anyone else is feeling the same issues as I am.
I guess that comes from beta testing many MMO’s over the years and giving feedback on problems objectively.
The forums are a great source of information and conversely mis-information too, I read between the lines and get the most from the forums to get the best from the game sorting out any crafting, playing or character problems hints and tips I may have.

Any stats ie x% of players visit the forums or n% of forums users are unhappy are hyberbole “Most, All, Everyone” are over used when you can and probably should be speaking just for yourself but of course it sounds better when it concerns most players and that includes everyone on the server ;-)

For the record i am not playing at the moment as im working <cough> so cant play, Later I may be posting on one monitor and playing on the other so I will be having fun and being negative at the same time !

Sleep is a sign of caffeine deprivation !

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

At least some of of what I listed is not really up for debate:

- Ascended items are clearly against their original manifesto
- Loot drops from the open world and DEs are significantly less than fractals or dungeons
- class balance is still poor
- they are moving very slowly to fix issues eg. culling
etc etc

So let me put those up in perspective, play a bit of devil’s advocate here to spark the debate you seem to avoid.
- Ascended items are against manifesto, I agree to that and I was personally shocked. The original blog was insulting to veterans concerning infusion. Most of the problem was in communication though, it could have been avoided and Chris Whiteside personally took the blame and apologized. Considering the stress of releasing updates monthly, that’s a pretty humble move. The 9000 post thread could have been avoided totally with better and more timely communication. I can only hope a.net learned from that.

- Apart from Legendary and Ascended, gold is virtually useless. The game is very much like GW1 in this regard. All drops were vendor trash. Elitists will go for max profit, but as a casual I have no idea what the difference in drops is around the world. Frankly, it doesn’t interest me. Copper makes money just as well as primordium as far as I’m concerned. I couldn’t be arsed to make the same run with 5 characters every day, that’s just boring. I’d much rather earn money while having fun.

- Class balance is okay. The game is playable for everyone and that’s a big achievement. This point in the game for other MMO’s, half the classes didn’t even functionally work. It’s not perfect, it’s good enough for now. I know my engineer is broken, but I don’t fret about it. The bugs are known, fixes will come when they come.

- Bugs like culling and DR seem to be an insanely serious issue, however only the most elitist people run into this. More casual players (ie the 99%), don’t ever run into these problems. While fixing this can be imagined to be a top priority, reality dictates that fixing stuff for the 99% is more important than catering to elitistjerks.com.

I don’t even support this entire post myself, the problems you mention are real. But I want to give perspective and prove to you that maybe, just maybe, your imagined problems aren’t nearly as game breaking as you may believe. The game is good, not perfect. It’s also very young. Keep that in mind.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Vermillion Hawk.9037

Vermillion Hawk.9037

I don’t even support this entire post myself, the problems you mention are real. But I want to give perspective and prove to you that maybe, just maybe, your imagined problems aren’t nearly as game breaking as you may believe. The game is good, not perfect. It’s also very young. Keep that in mind.

Wisdom right here.

Grand Master of The Knights Hospitaller [STJ]
Isle of Janthir – Sylvari Mesmer – Alexandre Le Grande

Posted by: SolitaryJr.9654

SolitaryJr.9654

Glad to see that there are still many optimistic players out there!

By this i show that players are entitled to their own opinion, but everyone have their history and how they invision this as a perfect game. Many ragequtted the game, and still crawl around in the forums kittening around, just to justify their ragequitting. Lack of consensus is pretty usual in public forums, and this is no different. However there are some topics that everyone agrees and those are the ones that should be looked (Like legendary/precursors, sPvP issues, culling, incorrect skills and so forth). A constructive approach on feedback would be better.

True..
Everyone who plays games like to comparing one game to another one, including myself. I do compare GW2 with other MMO that I have played before, and of course there are things that I do like and don’t in GW2. If friends ask me for opinions about the game, I will tell them both, fun and boring side of the game instead just simply bash one of it…

Forums are both for positive as well as negative opinions. I wonder why people get bothered by negativity so much?

Games improve only because of the ‘negative people’. Positive people who do nothing but praise game to 7th heaven add nothing to future improvement of the game.

I would rather read the negative posts than gushing fans giving high fives to each other.

Well, some people just like to stick with the negative side instead of positive…
If you ask me which side am I. I will tell you that I’m standing on the negative side, since they have much stronger facts/opinions(or rumors) than the positive…Hence, I read more negative than positive…but still, I enjoy the game very much

I do hope I could read some “New” negative posts…Just not repeating the same thing again and again…

Forum could be just like mass media,
“It’s easier than thinking for ourselves. If we want to discover truth it takes a great effort, it’s simply easier to believe whatever the media tells us or omits to tell us” -Y.A.

My suggestion is that,
When someone feel bored about the game, just switch to the game that you prefer and wait for further announcement. And if the updates still not fulfill your request, then stay in the game you were playing and wait again. If you are bored with all the games, maybe it’s time to stop gaming and rest well before you start on another game

Cheers everyone~(Peace!)

Charrs – Thief(80), Guardian(80), Engineer(80), Warrior(80)
[Resting atm :)]

(edited by SolitaryJr.9654)

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

As long as it’s civil AND constructive, it’s for the good of the game. People point out flaws because they care (mostly).

The problems usually occur when a) people start name calling or being generally rude; b) people start posts with "anyone who doesn’t agree with me is a “fanboy”/“troll”; or c) people don’t really want opposing opinions in their threads.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

I’m a huuuuge GW1 fan and as such my expectations for GW2 were unrealistically high. GW2 is a good game but violates some aspects of the Manifesto that I held as divine. So now GW2 is more of a new MMO, like other new MMOs, rather than the ground breaking guild-wars sequel that I expected it to be. It’s still good, it’s just not what I expected/hoped it to be. I’m still playing it and that’s a testiment to the game (as well as the quality of its competition).

More of my opinions:

ANet has some great ideas, but they seem to be lacking in execution — there have been some class-A bungles in dealing with the Player base. This should improve with time. I think they were lacking experience in this department and that experience wasn’t required in GW1 or vacated before GW2 was released.

It’s also concerning that many bugs are still unaddressed. In software development, this is a red-light. It could indicate that the software is overly complex, has little process controls, the team has a talent vacuum (i.e. talent left), or some combination thereof. If you couple this with “defect injection rate” (defects introduced while fixing other defects), it’s very concerning. However the ship is still floating so here’s to hoping for the best!

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Posted by: Mickey.4207

Mickey.4207

Games improve because of positive feedback, too, because then the developers know what they’re doing right. A game should have gushing fans, that means that they are connecting with their players.

(And it means that they can gauge who likes what they’re doing, as opposed to the ‘endgame sux this game is dying need moar raids’ crowd.) And I think that it bothers that crowd that people DO like how GW is going so far overall, because they feel that it undermines their complaints.

Yeah but what about future improvements? great that fans are loving the game in its current state and Anet knows hat they did great job but who is actually telling them about things that didn’t go right? yep as you guessed the ‘negative people’. I don’t even agree with this term though because for me they are more like critics.

Fans are happy with the current state of the game where as those who are critical are more concerned about how GW2 can be made even a better game. Hardcore fans who see nothing wrong with games do more harm than good.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

(edited by Mickey.4207)

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

because the people having fun are playing.

That doesn’t really cut it anymore.

Even though I enjoy the game when I’m playing, I’ve seen, and felt a lot of negative things while playing as well, which have made me post about the negative effects in the game.

nothing makes you post anything

I see people complaining all the time about EVERYTHING. My only complaints are really with the JPs and that’s basically it.

Sure there’s things I like about GW1 better than this, but this is still pretty fun too.

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

The game is not helped with overly positive comments nor with overly negative. In the first case the developer / manager will falsely think that all is well while, e.g., retaining customers is perhaps a problem. Overly negative is not good either as dev teams loose motivation and stops listening to valid constructive suggestions for improvements.

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

Hello,

Thank you everyone for your positive and constructive posts so far, we really appreciate it.

Please keep this thread civil & constructive.

Thank you!

There’s a difference between negativity and constructive criticism. Unfortunately, most people can’t seem to tell the difference. People get bothered by negativity when they like something because they feel they need to justify their approval of it. It’s a psychological thing (not disorder) but I forget what it’s called. Been a while since I’ve been in school. Irrelevant. Anyway, it’s not true. They don’t need to defend their enjoyment of GW2 to anybody.

I don’t think the ‘who’ is as important to ANet as the ‘what’. What people like and dislike is much more important. And the most important feedback (for me anyway) Is always constructive criticism; something insightful but not totally positive. Positive feedback is also useful if it is specific. But both angry rants and positive non-specific feedback are completely useless.

When im happy I don’t feel the need to discuss it on the forums yet when im not I tend to post and see if it is just me or if anyone else is feeling the same issues as I am.
I guess that comes from beta testing many MMO’s over the years and giving feedback on problems objectively.

Good news, you’re normal. That’s most people. That’s why there is “seemingly” so many negative posts. People come to the forums when they have complaints.

I’m a huuuuge GW1 fan and as such my expectations for GW2 were unrealistically high. GW2 is a good game but violates some aspects of the Manifesto that I held as divine. So now GW2 is more of a new MMO, like other new MMOs, rather than the ground breaking guild-wars sequel that I expected it to be. It’s still good, it’s just not what I expected/hoped it to be. I’m still playing it and that’s a testiment to the game (as well as the quality of its competition).

More of my opinions:

ANet has some great ideas, but they seem to be lacking in execution — there have been some class-A bungles in dealing with the Player base. This should improve with time. I think they were lacking experience in this department and that experience wasn’t required in GW1 or vacated before GW2 was released.

It’s also concerning that many bugs are still unaddressed. In software development, this is a red-light. It could indicate that the software is overly complex, has little process controls, the team has a talent vacuum (i.e. talent left), or some combination thereof. If you couple this with “defect injection rate” (defects introduced while fixing other defects), it’s very concerning. However the ship is still floating so here’s to hoping for the best!

Great, constructive post. I felt like everything you said could have come from my mouth.

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

the people having fun are playing…

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

this is the best MMO game for me!

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

If anyone looks at my posts they will see I have positive things to say and negative. I try to help people on the forums when I can and I try to help the overall game by letting the Devs know just what is wrong and why things are happening in the game. (like the multiple reasons why people aren’t hanging out in Orr or many of the pre level 30 zones and why exploration is a bust)

There are alot of negative posts but part of the reason why there is such a large number of negative posts is people feel with good reasons that the Devs have completely gone against their statements prior to launch with managerial decisions they’ve made most recently and that since they only have 1 Liaison (that I’ve found is highly overworked btw trying to keep up with the demands for answers, poor lady) people don’t feel that the Devs are listening. And of course we also have the highly filtered AMA sessions, and the communications to the players well outside of the forums on services not everyone uses like Reddit, Facebook, Twitter all spiradically putting out bits here and there but nothing being cohesive and coherent in a single medium.

Going back to the management issues of the game, with the combination of a dungeon being the focus in a game where dungeons were supposed to be secondary to DE Metas, a sudden Gear Treadmill addition (sorry but it’s true, there are two gearsets end game now), the loot issues with all open world items herding people to this one dungeon or to the cash shop to convert gems to gold to progress, and the possible future of Ascended items being available via an enormously large Karma cost/or the mystic toilet bypassing the crafting disciplines entirely, all happening while many of the bugs experienced in each class have been all but ignored since launch, with all of this happening – there’s plenty of room for discord especially in the official forums where one hopes that the Devs are listening to the players they want to keep.

It’s no secret there’s alot of work to be done, I personally feel that they will lose more people until they remove DR and the fix the MF/MF + chests/bags issues and if they continue to only have two people work on the bugs of each class.

The classes should be the major focus, they need a larger set of teams working on these bugs until they finally squash the majority of them and they need testing that doesn’t involve a stationary dummy in some offline shard somewhere outside of the main servers. That’s been proven never to work.

All in all, I’ve loved the first month of this game when even tho my class missed I didn’t notice it because both my traits and my abilities worked/did damage properly (Engineer) and I could go out into the world explore receive appropriate rewards for exploration and receive proper compensation for my time of waiting three hours to fight a dragon.

I think that the negativity will die down if they take care of most of the issues.

And I hope they return to their original open world philosophy.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Posted by: scumgrief.5270

scumgrief.5270

1. people playing the game are having fun
2. people who come to the forums are A, angry people in RL who are never happy with any game that ever gets developed or B bored people like me who have just finished a large session on the game and are about to go to bed and are looking for some GW2 community news.
3. forums in general are there for angry people to vent their anger, which is why most of the time all you and i see are angry people posting angry stuff about just about anything, and are often angry with each other when posting.
4. goodnight.