@ the negativity here on these forums

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mickey.4207

Mickey.4207

1. people playing the game are having fun
2. people who come to the forums are A, angry people in RL who are never happy with any game that ever gets developed or B bored people like me who have just finished a large session on the game and are about to go to bed and are looking for some GW2 community news.
3. forums in general are there for angry people to vent their anger, which is why most of the time all you and i see are angry people posting angry stuff about just about anything, and are often angry with each other when posting.
4. goodnight.

Hell lot of assumptions and generalizations there bud. Very bad way to make an argument.

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Honestly many posts are just bashing. Either bashing the game or bashing other people for not liking the game. Unfortunately there is not really much productive about that.

How about ignoring a negative post someone doesn’t not like or about giving proper arguments. It’s really sickening in many cases that a discussion so often gets personal like blabla you are only angry in RL or you had a bad childhood or you are nothing but a spoilt kid or you want everything handed to you for nothing or whatever. It would be really cool if people could leave this aside because I suspect in 99% people know nothing about the person they talk to.

Edit: I’m talking about negativity this forum in general.

(edited by Pirlipat.2479)

Posted by: Northlander.4619

Northlander.4619

I tend to write to forums when I’ve an issue with something. When everything works fine I have no reason to post. I’m playing the game then as someone pointed out. I don’t visit forums to have pleasant conversations. I visit forums to point out issues for peer review and to check if others have similar issues since I can’t do that in game.

Yes. It would be probably nice to show up on the forums and just write a post that “I like this and this and this” but I have really no interest in knowing if others enjoy the same things. However as I have mentioned I’ve interest in knowing if others are facing similar issues as I am.

However I may also visit threads where people try to change something they dislike but that I like. Just in case developers get the impression that everyone dislikes feature x. Then I’ll point out I don’t want it changed but usually comment also how I’d like to see it improved.

(edited by Northlander.4619)

Posted by: Skyrant Kangaroomouse.7458

Skyrant Kangaroomouse.7458

All game forums are full of negativity, because the people having fun are playing. Also you only ever get about 10% of a game’s population ever going near the forums, so that also skews it.

That is not true and making up some arbitrary % number does not make your post look smarter.

If you meant to say that only about 10% of the visitors post, then that might be closer to the truth. Most people are lurkers and will not bother if they find an answer to their issue, be it positive or negative.

The more negative posts you have the more people are affected by bugs and problems, it is as simple as that. Patch notes and announcements are generally read by most of the player base on a regular basis. These are all on the Forums.

Please stop spreading this myth that only 10% of a games population visits the forums. It’s simply not true and one of the most overused excuses by defenders of whatever game they currently feel the need to defend.

“The DR System is not restricting players, it just here to help them realize how they want to play!”

I think the real reason why we see so many ridiculous posts is because this has been the most successful MMO in years, and people who don’t like the game are extra determined to see it fail because of the idea that there can only be one successful game on the market

Have you really thought about what you wrote there? Please read and understand what you just wrote.

You are seriously saying that because (in your opinion) this is the most successful MMO, people from other games buy this game to post negative threads on the forums to make it look bad and make their game look better.

I am just baffled by this, sorry but this has to be the most ridiculous thing ever posted on a games forum.

“The DR System is not restricting players, it just here to help them realize how they want to play!”

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

People are providing feedback on the game they bought.

If a Player doesn’t care about the game at all, they are certainly not going to waste time posting on the forums (positive or negative).

I think it’s fair to say most players posting on the forums care about the game. Many posts start out constructive and devolve for various reasons. Also seeing the same problems go unaddressed for months generates negativity from despair.

I see many constructive topics in the forum regarding improving the game in areas some Players don’t currently enjoy. I see these constructive topics derailed by “L2P”, “entitlement”, “go play something else” responses…. just garbage.

This door swings both ways, and it includes participating in constructive criticism discussions rather than belittling anyone with an opinion on how the game could be improved.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

When you:
- are perceived as breaking promises and core ideals
- having poor class balance which is getting worse
- release content patch after content patch with more and more bugs
- are perceived as not moving fast enough in improving the game and fixing issues
- appear to be funnelling players towards buying gems
- have one of the more unrewarding games around
- are perceived as screwing with players via anti player practices like DR
- are perceived generally as providing poor live support

then there will be negativety.

Very true. There is only negativity if there is a reason for it. The moderators make sure that rants and duplicates are closed pretty fast.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I think the real reason why we see so many ridiculous posts is because this has been the most successful MMO in years, and people who don’t like the game are extra determined to see it fail because of the idea that there can only be one successful game on the market

Have you really thought about what you wrote there? Please read and understand what you just wrote.

You are seriously saying that because (in your opinion) this is the most successful MMO, people from other games buy this game to post negative threads on the forums to make it look bad and make their game look better.

I am just baffled by this, sorry but this has to be the most ridiculous thing ever posted on a games forum.

It’s corporate forum wars.

As “the elephant in the room” servers get quieter and quieter, as their LFR queues get longer and longe and longer, you better believe “the elephant” can afford to buy a few accounts to make a mess of their competition’s forums.

30 accounts creating negative posts and cross posting on each others negative posts can make a general forum look like a mess.

I’m not saying that all ‘the game needs to improve in this area’ posts are from these infiltrators, but the game-bashing, exaggerated complaint and outright lies most certainly are. Sometimes they even give themselves away by talking about how awesome their “elephant” is and asking people to go play it or advertising specials.

The healthiest discussion of the game currently takes place on reddit, where trolls can be downvoted. and real issues are discussed. I would love to see a downvote funtion on these forums – people would see a whole different game!

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

I have posted thing that people seen as overly positive and other posts as overly negative. If they are negative it is because I really see a problem and I want to see it fixed or changed.

beren.6048

I have posted thing that people seen as overly positive and other posts as overly negative. If they are negative it is because I really see a problem and I want to see it fixed or changed.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

Its because most of us loved the leveling system and graphics…but we want more reasons to play after that:

— text based pop- up screens showing their achievments? Is the most boring thing to put in any game. Most players would rather get a throphy to show off in their player house and guild hall.

I could list 100’s of fun things i want to do in an online game, but it all boils down to one major aspect: *Most players love to earn gold, find treasures and show them off visually in the game. *

beren.6048

— text based pop- up screens showing their achievments? Is the most boring thing to put in any game. Most players would rather get a throphy to show off in their player house and guild hall.

That would be nice, but right now you have very little titles and you need to select someone to read the title. Which nobody really does.

Posted by: lacrimstein.5603

lacrimstein.5603

As “the elephant in the room” servers get quieter and quieter, as their LFR queues get longer and longe and longer, you better believe “the elephant” can afford to buy a few accounts to make a mess of their competition’s forums.

The White Knights are now in conspiracy theory mode…

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

The White Knights are now in conspiracy theory mode…

It’s sad to watch an elephant die.

And messy.

Posted by: Snowy.9580

Snowy.9580

All game forums are full of negativity, because the people having fun are playing. Also you only ever get about 10% of a game’s population ever going near the forums, so that also skews it.

The question then is:

So you are ALL unhappy campers, as you are ALL posting on here and all the “We love it!” posts are fake? Cus all the happy bunnies are on playing. Just pointing out.

We’ll stop to sleep when the game is the best possible game we think it can be.
We’ve been awake since March 2007! Please help!
“GW2 the game with more rolls than roles!”

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

Since the thread seems to have derailed with off-topic and non-constructive comments, it is now closed.

Nevertheless, we want to thank you for the constructive and positive comments made in this thread.

Thank you for your understanding.

(edited by Moderator.6837)