true action base combat

true action base combat

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: accelcrow.6713

accelcrow.6713

can we get action base combat like tera the game would be 10 times better if there was action combat, it would be really cool if in heart of thorns if you gave us the option to use action cambat mode i feel like more people would buy the game.

true action base combat

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Probably not. There were a couple of mods that turned GW2 combat closer to what you see in TERA, for example, but Anet ruled that any such mods would be grounds for account suspension if anyone was found using them.

I would also love to be able to play GW2 with a controller, but as there are no console versions planned, I don’t think it’s coming either.

One – Piken Square

true action base combat

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

GW2 is action combat. It has way more mobility than Tera ever will. Tera locks you in place until the animation is finished, which isn’t very mobile at all. Some skills in GW2 lock us in place, but they are very few and can be cancelled by moving. Not only that, but we get true dodging in GW2, unlike in Tera, where “dodging” is very limited.

The only reason people think Tera’s combat is better is because of the crosshair. Other than that, it’s more static in it’s combat.

true action base combat

Posted by: Lazaar.9123

Lazaar.9123

Without the immersive combat mod, it can be achieved by:

1.Taping your right mouse button down
2. Turn off autotargeting

true action base combat

Posted by: Tru Reptile.6058

Tru Reptile.6058

Combat Mode 1.1 is okay. I believe Combat Mode 2.0 and Immersive Combat Mod have a feature that modifies some UI elements which can get you banned, but you can shut those options off. It would be nice if Anet just added this as an optional way to play instead of depending on the mods.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/So-I-heard-of-a-thing-but-is-it-okay

@Tom Gore- I’m pretty sure you can play GW2 with a controller using Xpadder.

@nexxe- GW2 doesn’t have true dodging, your character simply becomes invulnerable during the dodge animation. Also, being locked in place when attacking doesn’t make Tera’s combat any less of a action combat system. I think it’s better than lolspamming skills while strafing attacks, but to each their own…

(edited by Tru Reptile.6058)

true action base combat

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Probably not. There were a couple of mods that turned GW2 combat closer to what you see in TERA, for example, but Anet ruled that any such mods would be grounds for account suspension if anyone was found using them.

I would also love to be able to play GW2 with a controller, but as there are no console versions planned, I don’t think it’s coming either.

No they did not, the current mod is called ICM, immersive combat mod. It breaks none of ANets usage rules, and is publicly used by tens of thousands of players, none of which have ever been banned. It is even used by Woodenpotatoes, the streamer and youtube host which ANet invited to guest host their pax presentation last weekend, the guy publicly recommends it and does not play without it. If it was disallowed, he would not only have been banned some time ago but would not have been invited as a guest star to ANets biggest shindig of the year.

It does come with a secondary addon which blocks UI elements, that isn’t allowed, don’t use it. But ICM is perfectly safe.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

true action base combat

Tom Gore.4035

No they did not, the current mod is called ICM, immersive combat mod. It breaks none of ANets usage rules, and is used by tens of thousands of players, and none of which have ever been banned, including Woodenpotatoes the streamer they invited to host pax with them last weekend who uses it on air and publicly recommends it.

Interesting. Can you point me to the mod’s current download location? I’ve wanted to try it myself, but haven’t dared in fear of being banned.

One – Piken Square

true action base combat

Tru Reptile.6058

I use Combat Mode 1.1. There’s a download link on Reddit.

true action base combat

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

No they did not, the current mod is called ICM, immersive combat mod. It breaks none of ANets usage rules, and is used by tens of thousands of players, and none of which have ever been banned, including Woodenpotatoes the streamer they invited to host pax with them last weekend who uses it on air and publicly recommends it.

Interesting. Can you point me to the mod’s current download location? I’ve wanted to try it myself, but haven’t dared in fear of being banned.

Yup, the guy who made it doesn’t play anymore, and so doesn’t update it anymore. But it still works find and can be found here.

true action base combat

nexxe.7081

@nexxe- GW2 doesn’t have true dodging, your character simply becomes invulnerable during the dodge animation. Also, being locked in place when attacking doesn’t make Tera’s combat any less of a action combat system. I think it’s better than lolspamming skills while strafing attacks, but to each their own…

You’re probably right, but i always thought we got hit by projectiles no matter what. I need to pay more attention to that then.

I disagree. Being locked in place is less skillfull. It might as well be a tab-target combat system then. That kind of gameplay is best suited for action-fighter games, such as Tekken or Street Fighter, not in MMO’s. Strafing and mobility is essential to competitive pvp for a reason.

true action base combat

accelcrow.6713

will i get banned for combat mode

true action base combat

Tom Gore.4035

Yup, the guy who made it doesn’t play anymore, and so doesn’t update it anymore. But it still works find and can be found here.

Thanks! Gonna check it out I think tab targeting is still pretty must for PvP in many cases, but I can definitely see myself using this for PvE

One – Piken Square

true action base combat

accelcrow.6713

sorry i didn’t mean tera more like swordsman online

true action base combat

accelcrow.6713

true action base combat

Tru Reptile.6058

You’re probably right, but i always thought we got hit by projectiles no matter what. I need to pay more attention to that then.

I disagree. Being locked in place is less skillfull. It might as well be a tab-target combat system then. That kind of gameplay is best suited for action-fighter games, such as Tekken or Street Fighter, not in MMO’s. Strafing and mobility is essential to competitive pvp for a reason.

Let’s agree to disagree. I don’t want to derail this thread.

true action base combat

accelcrow.6713

will i get banned for using Combat Mode 1.1mod

true action base combat

Lazaar.9123

So, I looked up a video of the gameplay of Swordsman Online, and the combat just seems very similar to GW2, though it seemed to stand still even more.

true action base combat

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

really? tera is more action combaty than gw2?

tell me how riding my horse around the zone aggroing everything around me, then quickly summon my thrall that tanks half of them while i walk-stop-aoe-walk-stop-aoe in circles till they are all dead more actiony?

tera has some great BAMs that use their epic mobile,destructive aoes very often. And it keeps you on the edge cause you have a limited amount of mana and health and your dodges are also very limited….but those BAMs are about 10% of all the monsters you will ever see and encounter in the game (at least in my experiance) and they cant be seen in the world you quest in. They are mostly placed in dungeons and instances.

and yeah, gw2 combat is more fluid than that of tera. Your character is far more mobile and flexible with their movement ,attacks and dodges.

If i could make a action mmorpg i would use the fluidity of gw2 combat, turn all monsters into BAMs(the better ones not the low lvl ones…)AND i would apply all skills from playable classes into the mobs you are facing (just like gw1 did)

The problem in gw2 is that the mobs arent very smart… they have their hp bar and auto atacks every 5 seconds. maybe use a attack that applies a condition,or knock downs, or some sort of aoe every now and then but thats it.

(edited by Vukorep.3081)

true action base combat

Tru Reptile.6058

@accelcrow- No. Read Gaile’s response in the thread I linked.

(edited by Tru Reptile.6058)

true action base combat

accelcrow.6713

im not try to make so Combat Mode is the only way to play but give us a option to pick the way we play

true action base combat

accelcrow.6713

in swordmen online you can pick from tab ,gw2 style or action witch is left mouse is basic atk and right is dodge

true action base combat

Lazaar.9123

Well, as for binding keys to mouse buttons, this has been a highly requested feature, yes.
First person mode has also been highly requested, but it was rejected.

(edited by Lazaar.9123)

true action base combat

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

The only reason people think Tera’s combat is better is because of the crosshair. Other than that, it’s more static in it’s combat.

It’s more tactic in its combat. Of course it locks you in place when you swing your giant polearm while jumping in the air and of course no, it cannot be cancelled. Tera’s combat relies not on hitting all the time, but knowing when to hit and how.

I personally prefer Vindictus’s combat, much more dynamic than Tera, but with the same philosophy.

GW2 combat is sort of ok, but just a mod that permanently clicked on mouse R would be a big improvement in quality of life.

true action base combat

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

it would be great if GW2 had TERA style combat, but such a thing can not be implemented without rebuilding the whole system from scratch. I always lamented GW2´s weird two-sided approach: You have active dodging and the like, yet you have many, let´s call them “abstract” in lieu of a better word, combat states: protection, stability etc. and auto-hit on attacks. You can see the problem of this strange mix in dungeon encounters or mass pvp. The whole stack and spam problem derives from these abstract combat values.

true action base combat

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

Sure it works? i just downloaded it and it does nothing. -_-

true action base combat

Tru Reptile.6058

Yes it works. Do exactly what the ‘Read Me’ file says.

true action base combat

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Never played TERA or Swordsman online. Anyone care to explain what is so great?

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

true action base combat

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

can we get action base combat like tera the game would be 10 times better if there was action combat, it would be really cool if in heart of thorns if you gave us the option to use action cambat mode i feel like more people would buy the game.

No thanks .. please not .. i really really hate this combat systems where you can’t use
your mouse to click skills, have forced mouselook and skills that pull you foward on
every swing you do ..

It was my greatest fear that GW2 would be like that .. because i deinstalled all those
games (Vindictus, DCUO, Tera, Neverwinter) mostly after 20-30 minutes.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

true action base combat

Tom Gore.4035

Nothing.

One – Piken Square

true action base combat

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

GW2 is action combat. It has way more mobility than Tera ever will. Tera locks you in place until the animation is finished, which isn’t very mobile at all. Some skills in GW2 lock us in place, but they are very few and can be cancelled by moving. Not only that, but we get true dodging in GW2, unlike in Tera, where “dodging” is very limited.

GW2 has 1. Tab targetting 2. No real dodging (only evading) 3. Is build ON the old GW1 engine, meaning that for example if a warrior is executing spinning blades and you think that you’re just out of the way, your hit box might not be and you will still sit down after he executes his attack and he’s miles away from you.

In other words GW2 looks like it has action combat, but really unless all you’re playing is AoE builds the game feels like action combat had a baby with tab based combat.

That tab targetting part is also why your movement skills don’t always execute forwards, which is super annoying. Oh you want to ride the lighting the way that you face? Oh I’m sorry, you fought someone 3 minutes ago, so let’s go into his direction instead.

true action base combat

Beldin.5498

Nothing.

Yeah .. und don’t let you get fooled from videos of swordsman where the characters
are jumping and flying through the air like crazy .. that are just prerendered ingame
sequences, but you can’t do that in the normal game.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.

true action base combat

Beldin.5498

GW2 has 1. Tab targetting 2. No real dodging (only evading) 3. Is build ON the old GW1 engine, meaning that for example if a warrior is executing spinning blades and you think that you’re just out of the way, your hit box might not be and you will still sit down after he executes his attack and he’s miles away from you.

Sure you don’t confuse GW2 with WoW here ?

true action base combat

Mirta.5029

yes, I’m sure. You know how you have to have a character selected to do such damage as majority of signets, a lot of the 1 skills on weapons, etc? That’s tab targetting. And even worse even when the enemy health bar goes away, they’re not deselected, that’s why when you use movement skills you sometimes move backwards towards the last enemy you had selected. happens even after dying and respawning in Spvp. Which annoys me to no end. Because in open world PVE to avoid that I target random critters and use my abilities when I got to go fast. I can’t do that in Spvp.

So yes, it still has tab targetting. Unlike Wildstar and Tera in which you don’t need to see the enemies healthbar at the top to inflict damage as all the skills simply execute in front of you (except for targetted aoes) and anyone in it gets hurt. The only things that work that way in GW2 ARE the aoes.

true action base combat

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

yes, I’m sure. You know how you have to have a character selected to do such damage as majority of signets, a lot of the 1 skills on weapons, etc? That’s tab targetting. And even worse even when the enemy health bar goes away, they’re not deselected, that’s why when you use movement skills you sometimes move backwards towards the last enemy you had selected. happens even after dying and respawning in Spvp. Which annoys me to no end. Because in open world PVE to avoid that I target random critters and use my abilities when I got to go fast. I can’t do that in Spvp.

So yes, it still has tab targetting. Unlike Wildstar and Tera in which you don’t need to see the enemies healthbar at the top to inflict damage as all the skills simply execute in front of you (except for targetted aoes) and anyone in it gets hurt. The only things that work that way in GW2 ARE the aoes.

I dunno man, my Guardian can use all of his skills for the most part without a target selected and still damage whatever is around him. I think it’s honestly a mix of what you’re talking about. Some weapons work like you are describing, some require targets. To me, that’s a happy middle ground.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

true action base combat

Mirta.5029

I dunno man, my Guardian can use all of his skills for the most part without a target selected and still damage whatever is around him. I think it’s honestly a mix of what you’re talking about. Some weapons work like you are describing, some require targets. To me, that’s a happy middle ground.

and that’s why I said GW2 feels like action combat had a baby with tab targetting. It’s not full on action combat. It’s still better than full on tab targetting. I really don’t mind it. I’m just stating that it isn’t full on action combat.

true action base combat

Beldin.5498

I didn’t meant the tab targetting .. but more that you do damage to a target while
you are miles away.
That is something that seems to work in WoW if you look the video, but not in GW2.

The only thing is that attacks normally hit a bit wider than what the button indicates,
especially ranged attacks. Can remember when we killed Jormags Claw from
underneath when the zone was bugged and no golems were spawning.
Autoattack didn’t work .. but with constantly mashing the buttons you did still damage.

And personally i also still like tab targetting much more than attacks that just
force me to run 10 meters in a straight line to wherever i look.

That the targetting in GW2 is one of the worst i ever saw in an MMO is however
a total different story :p

and that’s why I said GW2 feels like action combat had a baby with tab targetting. It’s not full on action combat. It’s still better than full on tab targetting. I really don’t mind it. I’m just stating that it isn’t full on action combat.

And thats exactly what i like .. Champions Online was already also a lot in that style
an i never understood that they didn’t used that system in Neverwinter, that in the
end used the same engine.

(edited by Beldin.5498)

true action base combat

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The thing about true action base combat is that every goes “oddjob” so your a lot harder to hit. Ppl tend to use that trick in GW2 to a point but that only for seeing not landing hits.

That and the crazy high lag that you will have to allow for look at games like DS / DS2 online the lag for hit boxes is crazy now images that with 100+ ppl fighting at the same time it just dose not work out.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

true action base combat

Mirta.5029

The thing about true action base combat is that every goes “oddjob” so your a lot harder to hit. Ppl tend to use that trick in GW2 to a point but that only for seeing not landing hits.

That and the crazy high lag that you will have to allow for look at games like DS / DS2 online the lag for hit boxes is crazy now images that with 100+ ppl fighting at the same time it just dose not work out.

true action combat seems to work completely fine in Wildstar and Tera. It’s just that it’s not the style of combat that’s used in GW2. Nothing more, nothing less.

true action base combat

Jski.6180

true action combat seems to work completely fine in Wildstar and Tera. It’s just that it’s not the style of combat that’s used in GW2. Nothing more, nothing less.

Most ppl in WS feel like they need A.D.D. to play it and Tera everyone plays as the “oddjob” races unless they want to get hit. It works but only just and tends to be very rooting when you do want to attk.

true action base combat

Mirta.5029

Most ppl in WS feel like they need A.D.D. to play it and Tera everyone plays as the “oddjob” races unless they want to get hit. It works but only just and tends to be very rooting when you do want to attk.

why would you need A.D.D. to play Wildstar? You know who your target is without the game telling you and the combat is very fair. They only shot themselves in the foot adding gear grind to the combat though.

true action base combat

Posted by: tofumon.5924

tofumon.5924

Eh, I think Tera’s combat is still more exciting than GW2. In Tera I play a lancer and you actually can react to EVERY attack with a block, whereas in GW2 your “block” skill if you have one, takes 25 seconds to cooldown, and dodge takes a significant amount of time to recharge as well unless you’re built for vigor.

true action base combat

Jski.6180

Eh, I think Tera’s combat is still more exciting than GW2. In Tera I play a lancer and you actually can react to EVERY attack with a block, whereas in GW2 your “block” skill if you have one, takes 25 seconds to cooldown, and dodge takes a significant amount of time to recharge as well unless you’re built for vigor.

That would make every block and dodges in GW2 more significant then in Tera. What kills it for Tera combat is race size and being rooted when doing any attk (its ok if it was just the big hits but even the small hits root you). Its not a bad game its just a bit too real to life action combat and at the end of the day its a video game its got to be fun (missing some one over and over because they are simply too small or being rooted even when using fast attks is not fun).

true action base combat

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Wildstar doesn’t have action combat or it isn’t that much better than guild wars 2.

Unless they changed it, Wildstar combat is inferior to guild wars 2 automatically virtue of the way “white damage” works aka unavoidable damage. That doesn’t make it an action game, it simply makes it a slightly improve WOW combat system.

The only thing actiony about TERA is the targeting system and that is disputable. Since the targeting system has no real relation to whether a game is an action game or not. If it did then games like GoW and DMC would not be considered action games.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

true action base combat

nexxe.7081

In other words GW2 looks like it has action combat, but really unless all you’re playing is AoE builds the game feels like action combat had a baby with tab based combat.

That tab targetting part is also why your movement skills don’t always execute forwards, which is super annoying. Oh you want to ride the lighting the way that you face? Oh I’m sorry, you fought someone 3 minutes ago, so let’s go into his direction instead.

Tab-targeting is optional is GW2. You can turn off the settings in options. It doesn’t matter if you have tab-targeting on either, because if they move, your hit will miss. In a true tab-target game, the skill will never miss, even if the player moves out of the way.

As i said, the only thing that is really different is the lack of a crosshair. If a crosshair was added, then your mouse cursor will disappear, and a lot of people can not stand that type of gameplay. Having to toggle between both modes got really annoying in Tera and other combat systems. I wouldn’t mind if GW2 added an option for those who want it though, but i wouldn’t want it forced on players.

true action base combat

Mirta.5029

Wildstar doesn’t have action combat or it isn’t that much better than guild wars 2.

Unless they changed it, Wildstar combat is inferior to guild wars 2 automatically virtue of the way “white damage” works aka unavoidable damage. That doesn’t make it an action game, it simply makes it a slightly improve WOW combat system.

Well it’s all based on telegraphs and white damage plays no part in PvP. It’s a PVE only mechanic to enforce tanks.

Tab-targeting is optional is GW2. You can turn off the settings in options. It doesn’t matter if you have tab-targeting on either, because if they move, your hit will miss. In a true tab-target game, the skill will never miss, even if the player moves out of the way.

Even in WoW the character has to be in your field of vision for you not to miss. Same in Guild Wars 2. If you’re using an ice bow, skills 1,2,3,5 all work no matter where the character is as long as it’s in your field of vision. The same as in any tab targetting game.

And whether you switch it off or not doesn’t matter, because it’s in the game mechanics, meaning that your ride the lighting will still go towards the wrong way, because 2 minutes ago you were fighting a warrior on your left and not in front of you.

true action base combat

Posted by: Grapher.5342

Grapher.5342

You can always try a program called Joy to Key. I’ve never used it myself but you can pretty much play any game with a controller even if it’s not supported.