trying to level my necro now

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I wanted to get a different weapon (not a fan of axe on necro and can’t use off hands until 7) but I can’t interact with the TP (can buy things from O menu, but can’t collect at an NPC) can’t commune with skill points, can’t complete skill point challenges, can’t do anything that requires some level of initiative.

Just why? This is so horribly frustrating. Why and how could anyone at ArenaNet believe this was a good direction to head in

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

I can’t fathom how they thought it was in any way a good direction either. This is just ridiculous.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You should be able to get into your bank right away.

Posted by: Drlightningbolt.1754

Drlightningbolt.1754

OP never brought up a problem with the bank….
Its all the other horrible changes that are the problem

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

OP never brought up a problem with the bank….
Its all the other horrible changes that are the problem

Vayne was suggesting that as a work around for his immediate problem, which is not being able to get a different weapon. The OP could collect it with another toon, put it in the bank, then collect it with his newly created one.

This solves his immediate problem, but doesn’t make any of the other stuff better.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The skill point challenges are irrelevant since you can’t use the skills to later anyway. They unlock when you need them.

I’m just stunned this is so painful for some people.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

I wanted to get a different weapon (not a fan of axe on necro and can’t use off hands until 7) but I can’t interact with the TP (can buy things from O menu, but can’t collect at an NPC) can’t commune with skill points, can’t complete skill point challenges, can’t do anything that requires some level of initiative.

Just why? This is so horribly frustrating. Why and how could anyone at ArenaNet believe this was a good direction to head in

See, you are already confused by everything: do not touch anything until you have a window that pop up to tell you what to do, as it is intended to word, so you will enjoy the game way more that way! /sarcasm

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Shen Slayer.3058

Shen Slayer.3058

If you going to create a necro or mesmer now after the update, then you’re going to be so bored out of your mind. You going to quit in the middle, and Anet is not going to show them any love, so you might as well delete it and roll a warrior.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

If you going to create a necro or mesmer now after the update, then you’re going to be so bored out of your mind. You going to quit in the middle, and Anet is not going to show them any love, so you might as well delete it and roll a warrior.

Wrong: ranger is the new best class.

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

The skill point challenges are irrelevant since you can’t use the skills to later anyway. They unlock when you need them.

I wouldn’t say irrelevant. They are needed for map completion, they still give skill points for use later (without having to come back to maps you’ve already done), and they give experience so you get up in levels quicker which is very much needed for the awful system now at low levels.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: Drlightningbolt.1754

Drlightningbolt.1754

They should just have all the skills unlock as “rewards” instead and take out those pesky skill points all together, New players would just get confused by them anyway. As for Veteran players…well who care they already play the game, they can just learn to deal with it.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

It’s not irrelevant… forcing new players to go back on their own steps to do a skill point they were not allowed by system it’s the opposite of promoting exploration. It’s annoying and makes no sense. Gating skill points with a level requirement is really stupid. I can’t believe they actually paid someone to do this changes.

There should be a Darwin award for companies that immolate themselves like this.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

The problem is when I am map opening an area, i want to do the content that is there. I don’t want to wait until some later level and have to go back to an area to do a skill point that is either a communing in a super safe spot (Issomir) or a skill challenge meant for level FIVE players. That’s nonsense. I don’t care if they want to gate my using them until level 13, but let me earn them on the map. its bad enough this method also means I’m not losing some skill point gains from just leveling.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

The skill challenges are a great source of XP so you “need” them just as much as you do renown hearts or events because of, you know, the desire to level up.

I’ve always built up skill points for when I unlock them and having to backtrack to the start to get skill challenges, vistas, pois and so on in order to finish the maps is counter intuitive.

I hope they swiftly add a “you’ve done this before do you want to just unlock everything at level one” button to bypass this kind of silliness.

Posted by: Galespark.7835

Galespark.7835

To go along with the Vayne-quoting train:

This is just an example, but I recall struggling to solo the spider cave in the northeast of Wayfarer Foothills. I would not have been pleased to find a notice saying “please come back at level x” attached to the meditation skill point there after all my trouble. This locking away of core features not only makes things dull during the first levels, regardless of how long they take to get. What is much worse is that it puts what used to be a relatively open-ended, fluid experience of exploration on tracks and severely reduces freedom by artificial means.

I get what they are trying to achieve with this, and surely people new to the game will not know exactly what they are missing, but it still is unsettling to see them destroy elements of the game that make me have such fond memories of my first steps in Tyria. I think that this factors in the dislike of this part of the feature pack for many people.

Also, I can imagine that for someone creating a new alt it could be frustrating to first have to play through a starter area first for hearts, events and points of interest (with a severely handicapped character), and be forced to return to the same places when skill points (and vistas?) unlock, instead of just doing everything when they are there.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I wanted to get a different weapon (not a fan of axe on necro and can’t use off hands until 7) but I can’t interact with the TP

Press ‘B.’

Go to the karma equipment trader.

Buy equipment.

This is why this update has been kind of beneficial so far…if you really don’t know how to get around gearing your necro, you desperately need this slower introduction of mechanics.

Posted by: Seven.4520

Seven.4520

Honestly, I don’t find the new leveling system to be as gamebreaking as some people let others’ believe. I understand that the people on the forum are typically posting when they have a problem, and not normally to spend time praising an update, but the problem is the level of misinformation spread to new players.

Sure, you’re more restricted until later levels, but it doesn’t really defeat your ability to level or kill things. as the patch also stated, those early early levels go by faster, and they reduced the stats of all vet/normal mobs in the starting zones to accommodate these changes. If anything, I’ve found the early leveling experience to be FASTER than it was.

Is it unfortunate you can’t use the TP at level 1? Sure, but that only effects people who actually have the resources to use it. And if you have the gold to spend, you also have an alt with a bank to xfer the item to the new character. People who are new probably don’t even know to just go to the TP and buy a level 0 blue to speed things up.

For veterans, the “Swiftly bypass this nonsense” is the level 20 scroll.

to be honest, there are many features “veteran” players are oblivious to. If you think that buying things on the TP is the only way to gear yourselves, maybe this new introductory starting system isn’t all that bad.

Posted by: Tryxtr.6295

Tryxtr.6295

Made an Asura Ranger like 5 hours before the update. Went to BLTC merchant in starting area of Metrica. Bought gear and weapons. Straight out of the first instance. This is what I always do. Logged out, came back on after update, went back to same merchant to buy some 8-slot bags for leveling. Merchant was missing. I was very confused.

It’s official now, they have level-gated WAAAAY too many things with this new update. C’mon Anet, you can’t possibly think these changes are a good idea.

Posted by: Galespark.7835

Galespark.7835

Are people really arguing that having to go to the karma vendor in the mists or having to buy it on another character and transfer is somehow more intuitive than picking up a bought weapon from the trading post? Because that is pretty ridiculous.
Also, if I recall correctly he has to travel to LA to take the portal because the “press b” shortcut is one of these level unlocks.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

They need to give out more lvl20 scrolls. Ran outta that crap a while ago.

Also atleast at level 2 ( got knocked up to it when finishing “introboss”) I simply ran into nearest city and used the TP there. Worked fine.

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

yeah, I don’t understand leveling gating the tp merchant or skill challenges. Thats a bit weird.

again, won’t affect me too much, all my characters are lv20+ and I’ll probably start doing pvp for them scrolls. or buying dungeon paths.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Also, if I recall correctly he has to travel to LA to take the portal because the “press b” shortcut is one of these level unlocks.

It’s not. The keybind works regardless if you unlocked it.

Hell, if you have a level 80 already, all of the buttons are already furnished for you and you don’t even need to hit a certain level requirement.

The absurdity of how easy it is to level alts with this update is awesome and it was certainly not as bad as everyone’s making it out to be. The timegating is a terrible argument when you can hit the requirement in a few hours.