voice acting, besides asura

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: macabakur.4521

macabakur.4521

it’s all pretty terrible, there’s a few exceptions. But on the whole, I can’t even sit through a full cutscene because of just how bad it is. Trahearne, terrible, Logan, terrible, Eir, not as bad as the other two, but not that great. Queen Jenna, terrible, pretty much all of the norn and human, terrible.

It’s not even the voice actors themselves, it’s the dialogue they were given, the script should have been thrown out, the only caveat to this is the Asura race. Pretty much all of their voice acting, is either funny or endearing or just generally good. If all of the races voice acting was as good as the Asura’s this would be a much, much better system.

Nothing against the gameplay, but c’mon.. you guys at Anet have to know how bad it is :P.

The story is a big part of the whole picture, if it’s badly put forth the whole package is damaged. Please think about reworking the script, and actually hire some skilled writers.

Not stating that the plot isn’t good enough to work. There’s nothing wrong with the plot, but the dialogue the npc’s use to act out the plot is shoddy at best.

P.S. If you wrote, or were on the team who wrote the script… sorry, no hate against you, but it’s really bad :P.

(edited by macabakur.4521)

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

Logan’s VA is a legitimately bad voice actor. Everything he says is really.. off.

And yeah, I’ve got to agree with you, the Asura win as far as dialogue goes. And the plot actually does have issues, but it doesn’t even touch on how awkwardly written most of the dialogue is.. And in some cases, it seems like the VAs weren’t chosen to compliment the character. Trahearne’s VA wouldn’t be so bad, and could work for the character, but he really doesn’t have much to work with and is really sort of shallowly written, so with the voice he’s got, it makes him sound really monotonous and boring. There are moments where the dialogue is actually good, aside from the Asura, but it’s often minor stuff and things you hear in the background. I’m guessing different writers handled it in different areas of the game.

The Sylvari can get really horribly cheesey sometimes, too.

Disclaimer before I’m jumped: I like plenty of aspects of the game’s story. I like the game. I just can’t get over the dialogue. I’m not looking for Shakespeare, here, it’s just nice when a game doesn’t leave me cringing when the characters start to speak.

Posted by: hugemistake.5317

hugemistake.5317

I’m playing the game in french but i can say the same. The voice actors aren’t good, the dialogues are awful, the cut-scenes ugly and everything looks like it has been written for 12 years old. The “story” is a major letdown for me in this game. All the characters/races are huge clichés. All the norns are heroics are looking for glory, the humans are brave and faithful, the charrs are warmongers etc… There isn’t one interesting thing about the story.

Also it doesn’t feel at all like it’s about ME, more like it’s about Trahearne. The choices you are given are meaningless.

Posted by: Aoshi.4785

Aoshi.4785

Human male voice is HORRIBLE, I am glad it’s not his voice during the fighting and such. It’d be very cool to be able to choose a voice, because man, his is pretty lame.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’m playing the game in french but i can say the same. The voice actors aren’t good, the dialogues are awful, the cut-scenes ugly and everything looks like it has been written for 12 years old. The “story” is a major letdown for me in this game. All the characters/races are huge clichés. All the norns are heroics are looking for glory, the humans are brave and faithful, the charrs are warmongers etc… There isn’t one interesting thing about the story.

Also it doesn’t feel at all like it’s about ME, more like it’s about Trahearne. The choices you are given are meaningless.

I think the story felt like it was driven by my actions . . . through the first two chapters of each character’s personal story. “The Fall of Falcon Company”, actually, felt a lot like it was my character driving the matters and digging up the past. “Unexpected Visitors” from my norn’s storyline was a downright entertaining set of events I enjoyed a lot. And I’m NEVER going to call the Order of Whispers storyline dull or bad because . . . Tybalt.

(Also, Tybalt is alive and well and retired somewhere with the best barbecued beef and strongest whiskey that exist on Tyria. On a beach with a nice view and no darned karka or risen to disturb him.)

After that it felt like they wanted there to be a single story for all the characters to get pulled into, and the last two chapters I really felt more like events were not being driven by my presence . . . the character was reacting to events as they unfolded. This may have worked for a single-player RPG, but this did not live up to the impact of the earlier personal story chapters.

On the topic of other parts of the world, I blame the disconnect on characters being left to stand idle rather than being animated. Even a triggered /laugh emote or such would liven them up and help me connect better.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: CC Ivonne.6782

CC Ivonne.6782

Community Coordinator

Hello everybody,
this thread is full of rants and no real discussion. It will now be locked.
Thanks for understanding.