waiting on competition to announce Xpac

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

IMO I believe Anet is waiting for future big named competition, similar to Sony’s Everquest Next to reveal launch plans, before sharing Expansion Pack details.

Its a similar tactic that Blizzard did with World of Warcraft CAT expansion during the SWTOR/GW2 hype period.

Whats your thoughts?

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Or they could just be waiting until the ten year anniversary of the franchise.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

blizzard already released their expansion pack and is announcing the next one in november. FF14 already announced theirs and its coming out around june. EQN will not be any more popular than Wild Star. ESO basically failed. FF14 is actually doing better than GW2 AND its already added 2 classes and announced its expansion. So, if theyre waiting for something, its for someone to play something else.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Whats your thoughts?

My thoughts are that I’m utterly tired from this beaten to death topic, with identical threads popping every 3 days.

If expansion comes, it comes when it comes.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/List-of-Common-Controversial-Forum-Topics/first#expansion

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Saiyan.1704

Saiyan.1704

Those games also have a higher subscription than my gym membership. Lets not forget that this is a free-to-play game here. Expansions, game additions, things that costs money, will be added a bit later than the average MMO game.

Also Anet aren’t going to add a huge expansion pack without addressing the game’s original content. There is Much that Anet can do to the current game. They’ll put another coat on it once the current game’s “skin” has been exhausted. That goes for PvE and PvP alike.

aka FalseLights
#5 best gerdien in wurld

(edited by Saiyan.1704)

Posted by: Dark Jericho.8609

Dark Jericho.8609

This would be cool.

Whats your thoughts?

My thoughts are that I’m utterly tired from this beaten to death topic, with identical threads popping every 3 days.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/List-of-Common-Controversial-Forum-Topics/first#expansion

Not a lot of people have the attention span to read through dozens of pages and with the search borked you’ll keep seeing different players creating new threads on the same subjects, even if a similar one sits on the first page. I suggest maybe not spending so much time on the forums if this subject’s reoccurrence bothers you so much.

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

I don’t care if this subject is repeated every day ANet needs to be aware that we won’t let up and we will continue to express our interest in an expansion that adds a substantial amount to the map (like a 1/3 to 1/2 increase in size), with new story lines, world bosses for each zone, with an elder dragon open world event.

We will never relent, we will persevere!

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

That would be nice. Only 4 month away.

Regardless hope there’s some thing is happening during the anniversay eventhough I didn’t play GW1.

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

This would be cool.

Whats your thoughts?

Not a lot of people have the attention span to read through dozens of pages and with the search borked you’ll keep seeing different players creating new threads on the same subjects, even if a similar one sits on the first page. I suggest maybe not spending so much time on the forums if this subject’s reoccurrence bothers you so much.

Or, you know – People learn how to read before starting new threads on exactly the same topic.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I don’t care if this subject is repeated every day ANet needs to be aware that we won’t let up and we will continue to express our interest in an expansion that adds a substantial amount to the map (like a 1/3 to 1/2 increase in size), with new story lines, world bosses for each zone, with an elder dragon open world event.

We will never relent, we will persevere!

But who are we? And why should your we be more important then anyone elses we? There are many people that do not want an expansion, why should those people be ignored?

I am also very interested how you would think an Elder Dragon open world event would work, especially considering their size.
Keep in mind that it basically took thousands of people to destroy Zhaitan, and that is not really something that would work very well in the open world.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

blizzard already released their expansion pack and is announcing the next one in november. FF14 already announced theirs and its coming out around june. EQN will not be any more popular than Wild Star. ESO basically failed. FF14 is actually doing better than GW2 AND its already added 2 classes and announced its expansion. So, if theyre waiting for something, its for someone to play something else.

this, i just hope anet wont be too greedy and milky oriented

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

You people are soo boring with this expansion treads.Background project will be out when its ready.Anet does not wait for anything,they just dont want to hype people who will rush them even more for its release,release that would be full of bugs.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Given that the previous posters could not even give a scintilla of prove that any expansion is coming in the previous thread, I don’t think going a second round will make a different.

And as far as waiting for someone else to announce an expansion, so ANet can announce theirs?

. . .

What Azure said.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Xiem.4719

Xiem.4719

There are many people that do not want an expansion, why should those people be ignored?

That’s the stupidest thing i ever read. Gw2 players don’t want to have more of game they love?

uknortherner.2670

There are many people that do not want an expansion, why should those people be ignored?

That’s the stupidest thing i ever read. Gw2 players don’t want to have more of game they love?

No, the stupidest thing is believing that what you want equates to what everybody wants.

Xiem.4719

If you like this game, why wouldn’t you want more of it?

uknortherner.2670

If you like this game, why wouldn’t you want more of it?

Possibly because I like the free flow of new content I’m already getting? Or possibly, because at the end of the day, these daily spam threads are getting tiring. Believe it or not, I would like to see an expansion too, but I don’t see the need to start a new thread every day and then crying about it when the devs and other players on this board choose to tune it all out.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Expansion? I wouldn’t be surprised if there wasn’t one o if they weren’t working on one even if this game needs it.
Expansion or not, there needs to something that adds new sizable chunk of content to the game.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Let me put it this way. I did a little digging in the 2013 thread. The ironic part is some of the people, in the 2014 thread, said the same things last year when a developer came aboard and said, “No.”

Again, that was in the 2013 thread. Now, this year, they’re saying the exact same things, with threats of future “I told you so” waiting in the wings for yours truly. Because, eventually, they will be right.

One day, some day, ANet will release some form of expansion. But not any time soon. They already make tons of money from the gem store. I just paid forty bucks for a bunch of minis and the like. So did a lot of people from what I’m seeing and reading. Near naked, and glittery, Farens running around everywhere.

Forty bucks is the price of an expansion, give or take.

That’s common sense. The idea that it’s a secret project, playing semantics with the words ‘need’ versus ‘want’ and ‘will’, citing employee numbers while not realizing it takes a lot more to run a business than creating product (ex. legal and financial workers), anniversary surprise expansion announcements versus more gem store and in-game content, releases, and rewards, and now waiting for someone else to announce their product first?

That’s not common sense. That’s wishful thinking. But I’m sure someone will tell me otherwise . . . again.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Giving information about an expansion earlier would have been, well let’s say no so clever. It would have been dwarfed by the WoW expansion news and info. Let the wow expansion cooldown a little and then announce your own.

And I dont think everquest next is going to ne released this year, whenever I look for news of movies about it it’s still that same as the intro movie. That does not say it would not be in 2015, but they are in no hurry to release the most anticipated mmo in the genre I think.

Wanze.8410

I think the competition will soon announce biweekly updates.

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

FF14 is actually doing better than GW2 AND its already added 2 classes and announced its expansion. So, if theyre waiting for something, its for someone to play something else.

…added 4 classes since 1.0 and announced an expansion with a new race and 3 more classes in half the time the game has been out compared to GW2. If ANet wanted to wait for the competition to make their move, they missed the window.

Wanze.8410

FF14 is actually doing better than GW2 AND its already added 2 classes and announced its expansion. So, if theyre waiting for something, its for someone to play something else.

…added 4 classes since 1.0 and announced an expansion with a new race and 3 more classes in half the time the game has been out compared to GW2. If ANet wanted to wait for the competition to make their move, they missed the window.

It also cost 4 times more (16 months sub + box price) to play it for half the time compared to GW2.

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

It also cost 4 times more (16 months sub + box price) to play it for half the time compared to GW2.

Hm I guess that explains why they put out literally 4 times the amount of content.
Though I don’t think ‘it doesn’t have a subscription’ should be used as an excuse to release so little content compared to the competition.

(edited by Crovax.7854)

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I hope that’s not the impression GW2 is just a cheaper alternative for poor people.

I actaully have a FF14 sub, and I can honest say I like GW2 much better. And I think GW2 quality is much better. So I barely play FF14 even I have sub to it.

I didn’t play GW2 because there’s no sub.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

And yet, I’d rather play the same old dynamic events, then the godawful static quests in FF XIV. I’d rather not have a trinity.

I’d rather go to a nice restaurant than a crappy all you can eat buffet, even if the buffet has more food.

It doesn’t make it good food.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I have gotten loads of more Guild Wars 2 since release despite there being no expansion. So clearly we can get more of the game without expansion.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

Another expansion thread? I know the search function doesn’t work, but is it too much to ask to check the FIRST page of the forums to find the other threads already discussing these topics?

What is wrong with people.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

No, dipkitten, we don’t want it as an expansion. An expansion would undermine everything ANet has done with the Living Story, and is completely unnecessary, since any content introduced with a traditional expansion pack could be done with the LS for free. People around here are clamoring for an expansion because they think they know what’s best for the game, but they seem to be unaware of how wrong they are.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

(edited by Andred.1087)

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

I would say we’ve already gotten an expansion’s worth of content from Living World releases. Overhauls to many of the game systems, three new PvE maps (plus Edge of the Mists), a new dungeon, a new dungeon path, two overhauled maps due to in-game events, a revamp on a world boss fight, two new world bosses (and some awesome temporary world bosses), new PvP game mode (albeit, only one map’s worth), and a campaign’s worth of story thus far.

All for free.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

Another expansion thread? I know the search function doesn’t work, but is it too much to ask to check the FIRST page of the forums to find the other threads already discussing these topics?

What is wrong with people.

Not only that, is it that hard to type GW2 expansion into Google, you’d be surprised how many forum threads will pop up, let alone search for anything on the forums that way, since it does work.

Posted by: Torvic.8256

Torvic.8256

ESO basically failed.

No it didn’t.

Which would make the announcement less than half a year away.

Xiem.4719

No, dipkitten, we don’t want it as an expansion. An expansion would undermine everything ANet has done with the Living Story, and is completely unnecessary, since any content introduced with a traditional expansion pack could be done with the LS for free. People around here are clamoring for an expansion because they think they know what’s best for the game, but they seem to be unaware of how wrong they are.

Dear Dipkitten, ask in-game, ask in your guild, ask in dry top, ask in silverwastes, then we will talk again.

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

If we are talking about the western industry then GW2 still has the edge in term of overall commercial success comapred to FF14. In the east though, GW2 will never be as big as FF14 as the Final Fantasy franchise is at lesast 10 times bigger than GW.

FF14 is also a re-release. It is a game that was re-created and improved after a failed first try so I am not really surprised that they have alot of content to introduce and I do agree that the title would do better if Anet will keep refusing to release an expansion. FF14 is one of the best MMO experiences in the market atm and while it didn’t have the same successful release as GW2, they will totally surpass GW2’s populraity in the west if Anet is just going to stand there and do nothing.

(edited by nGumball.1283)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

FF14 will add far more, theres already info about Heavensward adding two additional playable classes – the Astrologian and the Machinist plus a new playable Race – the Au Ra – a type of Dragon Human Hybrid Race.

FYI

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Moderator.8539

Moderator.8539

Since the center of discussion is based in speculation and there are already numerous threads on the subject, this one is now closed. Thanks for understanding.