yeah… for some reason most games are dumbing themselves down
GW2, D3, WoW(pandaland new skill trees)

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

we need build diversity back

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Build diversity in GW1 boiled down to the latest exploitable combination of abilities. If you wished to win in PvP, or to play efficiently in PvE, there was no build diversity. That is always the consequence of having too many abilities with too much interaction within a customizable system.

MTG is the best example of this, if I build within a limited tournament format there is no deck I can build which cannot be countered or played against. Whereas if we instead open up to build from the games entire card pool, I can make any one of hundreds of decks that cannot be beaten and provide no opportunity for counterplay to my opponent. You have to limit the build pool if you want any semblance of balance, let alone a play to counterplay environment.

Granted that doesn’t mean I’m okay with GW2’s current state, and I wholeheartedly agree that we need more build diversity. But GW1 is a horrid example.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

Most people will stick with what works. We all do it sometimes. Not just this game, but any game.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

The problem with asking for build diversity is that anet will take that to mean nerfing builds that work currently…..

but yeah great idea, i wont change my build but if other ppl find it fun then they should balance out builds. Maybe give those condi ppl some actual damage

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Build diversity in GW1 boiled down to the latest exploitable combination of abilities. If you wished to win in PvP, or to play efficiently in PvE, there was no build diversity. That is always the consequence of having too many abilities with too much interaction within a customizable system.

MTG is the best example of this, if I build within a limited tournament format there is no deck I can build which cannot be countered or played against. Whereas if we instead open up to build from the games entire card pool, I can make any one of hundreds of decks that cannot be beaten and provide no opportunity for counterplay to my opponent. You have to limit the build pool if you want any semblance of balance, let alone a play to counterplay environment.

Granted that doesn’t mean I’m okay with GW2’s current state, and I wholeheartedly agree that we need more build diversity. But GW1 is a horrid example.

That argument is used way too much.

Just because there’s “best” builds in competitive parts of the game is irrelevant.

I played GW1 casually and had fun for a really long time just making new builds constantly, getting new abilities, etc. Who cares if my build wasn’t 100% the best for w/e or was gimmicky, it was fun. Games should be fun first.