what characters the developers play?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Pretend alt’s that get used only when the Anet tag is flying but they all main Warriors. If not, then what the hell?

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Charr Wars and Sylvari mesmers and thiefs.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Mazreal Blackknight.1564

Mazreal Blackknight.1564

I saw a norn light armor once.

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

They are mainly Warriors/Thiefs (like 80%+)

Grouch mains Engineer.

Also, 1 Anet staff member is godlike as a Ele, which is probably why they are reluctant to buff it.

The 1 Ranger player got, ‘let go’…does not work for Anet anymore…

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

Judging by the buffs they give and the LS, I’d say most main Norn warriors in t3 a few quiet types play Guardians and few play Sylvari mesmers, maybe most of them play Sylvari since they’re shoved into our face so much. O.o

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

Pretend alt’s that get used only when the Anet tag is flying but they all main Warriors. If not, then what the hell?

Nope, only the devs in charge of balance main Warrior, so everything is balanced around Warrior having easy mode whenever new content is introduced. Therefore to make the Warrior capable of taking on the new content easily, they usually have to introduce more options and buffs for Warriors.

It does not matter what profession the other devs play as they are not in charge of balancing and probably dont even have a say.

Posted by: bluestocking.6148

bluestocking.6148

I know one that plays exclusively Charr. A guardian and a necro that I know for sure, but it’s been a while.

I am destruction itself. I also bake cookies.

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Not sure how some of you know “all” the devs main professions.

1 Ranger? Definitely not true as there was an ArenaNet Ranger with the legendary longbow in Blackgate during the first day of the Wurm release.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Colin stated once upon a time that he mains an engineer. Although could have changed between then and now.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: robertul.3679

robertul.3679

p/p thief and staff guard

Posted by: Naevius.3185

Naevius.3185

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

The three I’ve noticed and tossed on my friends list play exclusively warrior/thief. Given the state of the ranger, I can’t imagine any main one. (I know there was a dungeon dev who was a major ranger advocate, but he was fired.)

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Warrior, Guardian, Mesmer, Elementalist.

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

What server do that play on? And how do you know if they are a dev? They have a tag like commanders or something? Just curious.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

The three I’ve noticed have been via IoJ. They have a guild tag that’s a huge Anet banner over their heads.

For all I know the players aren’t devs, but janitors or something.

Posted by: Ben K.6238

Ben K.6238

A bit of everything – even rangers.

Can’t recall if I’ve seen any play engineers though.

Teofa Tsavo.9863

interesting i always thought devs will always embrace all races and will have at least 1 of each race, i was dead wrong lol.

LoL! EQ2 had a Dev named Aeralik. He played a Dark Elf Assassin. He also ran a web site strictly about playing assassin, and when he redid Racial Traits, not surprisingly, Dark Elf traits were skewed horribly in favor of playing Rogue classes. When the main lead played Monks… monks were godmode. Godmode classes changed with each change of Developer lead, in fact.

In a decade of playing MMO’s the Dev whose opinion is not skewed in favor of his race/class choice is rare.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Korossive.7085

Korossive.7085

Warriors. More words only detract.

bluestocking.6148

What server do that play on? And how do you know if they are a dev? They have a tag like commanders or something? Just curious.

They play on any server, they’re not restricted. And yes, they have a guild tag that they can switch on. If it’s off you wouldn’t be able to tell them from any other player.

Your best chance of seeing a dev online is on release day, doing the new content. Lots of them will log in to try it out. Fastest way to find problems is to play it through live.

Posted by: Ropechef.6192

Ropechef.6192

I have seen every class on them.

some of them even have multiple toons (gasp*)

Some run Fractal level 50, Others have legendaries. etc.

The Arena net Crew plays the game too.

Posted by: Simon.3794

Simon.3794

Roy plays asura engi with 2 legendaries

saw him on stream in dungeon the other day.

Posted by: nicolas.9045

nicolas.9045

Every class but ranger and nécro.

it doesn t surprise me anymore that is srill a broken class. Who cares? Not dev….

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

The 1 Ranger player got, ‘let go’…does not work for Anet anymore…

Anet wanted to do a dungeon party.

Meglobob.8620

The devs have access to a developers tool which gives them anything in game they want.

Dawn, 1 button press, I have Dawn.

Eternity, press button, I have Eternity.

They do not after do any grinding…

They do not after wait 3 months to get a item because of timegating…

They need it to test stuff obviously but there is a disconnect with the devs thinking everything is real easy to get.

(edited by Meglobob.8620)

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

it doesn t surprise me anymore that is srill a broken class. Who cares? Not dev….

Except this is, you know, false.

Posted by: CC Danicia.1394

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Next

Hanging out on my necro with friends.

Attachments:

Posted by: unleashed.8679

unleashed.8679

If you are just hanging around, you wont notice the bugs with the Deathshroud (2s delay, no heal, ..) Vampiric traits that are worthless, …

Posted by: Saturn.6591

Saturn.6591

The devs have access to a developers tool which gives them anything in game they want.

They need it to test stuff obviously but there is a disconnect with the devs thinking everything is real easy to get.

That’s just not true. They actually have stated multiple times already that they don’t have any extra-commands on the live-servers; at the very least not any commands that give them items and stuff. They are pretty much playing like we all are; except that they’ve got that logo while representing the anet-guild.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Are you actually a developer?

Previous

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Next

That’s just not true. They actually have stated multiple times already that they don’t have any extra-commands on the live-servers; at the very least not any commands that give them items and stuff. They are pretty much playing like we all are; except that they’ve got that logo while representing the anet-guild.

This is correct. Our characters on the live servers are just like all other characters except for our tags. No commands. These are our personal play accounts.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Do you get to play on company time, though? I’d think it would count at least a bit as working since it keeps you aware of how things are on the live servers.

Previous

CC Danicia.1394

Community Coordinator

Next

Do you get to play on company time, though? I’d think it would count at least a bit as working since it keeps you aware of how things are on the live servers.

Yep! We do.

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

Yep! We do.

I want your job!

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

Previous

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

Sandwichmancer of course.

And it’s super OP right now.

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

The stuff of legends.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: Sins.4782

Sins.4782

What server are you on, Danicia? I recall seeing a minionmancer dev a couple weeks ago in LA on CD, was that you?

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

I have personally seen devs with both necros and rangers. Are they “main” characters? I have no idea… but they do play them.

Meglobob.8620

I have video proof!

Just type, ‘guild wars 2 developer guide’ in youtube search engine and you can see the the developers tools in action by watching any of the guides.

I am sure many members of Anet play there characters normally but I am sure many have cheated to give themselves equipment too.

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

I have video proof!

Just type, ‘guild wars 2 developer guide’ in youtube search engine and you can see the the developers tools in action by watching any of the guides.

I am sure many members of Anet play there characters normally but I am sure many have cheated to give themselves equipment too.

Those are not on the live servers. If you watch any of the live stream a they have they teleport and type in code to kill mobs but those are on test servers.

Posted by: Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

Merlin Dyfed Avalon.5046

MM in pve, nuff sed.

54 infractions and counting because a moderator doesn’t understand a joke when he/she sees it.
E.A.D.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

It all makes sense now – Braham Eirsson is rockin’ Sandwichmancer spec’d into a Bacon-Turkey Club build…

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I wondered that too. I mean everyone has their personal preferences, maybe the whole team consists of many classes but only one mesmer, and that mesmer does not like the staff for example as a weapon. So it will never be balanced, allways a tiny bit weaker etc…

Horrifying nightmares of every MMO… :s

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Posted by: Magische Boek.2530

Magische Boek.2530

dont you mean taquito bandito?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z-d9vGO52E

I’m not arguing!
I’m simply explaining why I’m right.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I don’t know about most of the devs, but when I watched the balance livestream it was pretty obvious that all the balance devs main a warrior. They were literally jumping out of their seats and fighting over who got to talk about warrior, then they spent more time talking about it then Ranger, thief, necro and engineer combined.

If it wasn’t so sad it might even be funny.

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

@ All, you ask what classes ANET plays. It probably would be more interesting to know what classes the BALANCE team plays.

bluestocking.6148

I wondered that too. I mean everyone has their personal preferences, maybe the whole team consists of many classes but only one mesmer, and that mesmer does not like the staff for example as a weapon. So it will never be balanced, allways a tiny bit weaker etc…

There’s over 300 people in the ArenaNet offices. I’m pretty sure every possible race/class/weapon combo is covered.

Teofa Tsavo.9863

There’s over 300 people in the ArenaNet offices. I’m pretty sure every possible race/class/weapon combo is covered.

Except that the original question is “what Developers play” and not “what employees play”

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

Except that the original question is “what Developers play” and not “what employees play”

Please define “developer” then. Because ArenaNet is the developer of Guild Wars 2. Do you mean project architects/designers? Because they develop the main concepts of the game. Do you mean the programmers? Because the term “developer” is associated to them. So if you want semantics, please be accurate in your terms: developers may mean lots of things, it all depend on the context!

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

bluestocking.6148

Yeah, I’m curious too. Do artists not count as “developers”? How about QA? Do you only mean programmers, or maybe designers?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Over 350, they’ve been hiring since launch