what is your favorite zone and why?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I was wondering since I am sure we all have our favorite maps/zones/whole areas

Recently I have been doing map completion on my Ranger and so have been wandering around a bit more that usual.

I absolutely love Ascalon.
the beauty, the story, the war against the ghosts and the flame legion and the brand,
the sadness, the determination of the Charr.
All this combines to make this my favorite area in the game.

Which areas do you guys like?

Oh and screens

Attachments:

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Straits of Devastation. It sounds badkitten, and it’s a very lively and active area provided you have people engaging in the events. Also, the contrast is nice – beautiful jungle to corpse-ridden plaguelands. And not only is it a plaguelands, but it’s a grand and hard worked one, with old, ancient architecture, and aquatic assimilation over the land due to its sinking.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Cappy.2786

Cappy.2786

Lornar Pass,the way you start in the mountains and slowly go down the mountain to grassy fields.

Posted by: Sylentir.8913

Sylentir.8913

Queensdale for overall zone, it just feels so warm and inviting.

However, I far prefer the Hidden Garden jumping puzzle’s minizone as my favorite area in game. It’s just so nice, peaceful, and serene.

Talia Gallowglass [Few] ~ Sylvari Engineer Main
Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted by: Warzaw.2708

Warzaw.2708

I’ll have to say Plains of Ashford is my favorite place. I’ll never forget the first time I played the game, making my Charr ranger and exploring it all for the first time, seeing the game through the eye’s of a beginner.

It was pretty amazing, and I’ll always love that zone.

BREAK YOURSELVES UPON MY BODY
FEEL THE STRENGTH OF THE EARTH
Vicodium – Ranger (IX) Coldsnap

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Queensdale. It’s:

• Beautiful. The lush vegetation without being a forest, the small outposts here and there, the rivers… They all make the area rather nice.
  • Filled with dynamic events. While in some other maps you can walk quite a lot without finding an event, the starting areas have a lot of them.
  • Has many interesting event chains. If the bandits take the water reservatoire, you will see people sick directly in front of the gate to Divinity’s Reach, very far from where the event itself happens.
  • Haas just thousands of cool things. It has a lot of great ambient dialogue, the cemetery is filled with easter eggs, the former Temple of the Six Gods is great for those who played the original Guild Wars, both cities have many nice details, and so on.

I wish Orr had been at least half as good as Queensdale.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Queensdale by a longshot. If only the end game zones had as much love put into them as the starter zones.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Morrigan.2809

Queensdale. It’s:

• Beautiful. The lush vegetation without being a forest, the small outposts here and there, the rivers… They all make the area rather nice.
  • Filled with dynamic events. While in some other maps you can walk quite a lot without finding an event, the starting areas have a lot of them.
  • Has many interesting event chains. If the bandits take the water reservatoire, you will see people sick directly in front of the gate to Divinity’s Reach, very far from where the event itself happens.
  • Haas just thousands of cool things. It has a lot of great ambient dialogue, the cemetery is filled with easter eggs, the former Temple of the Six Gods is great for those who played the original Guild Wars, both cities have many nice details, and so on.

I wish Orr had been at least half as good as Queensdale.

ahh yes I remember in the first beta I played I saw these people that looked sick in Shaemore and I was so curious to see what caused it and then when I figured it out, it was so cool
I also catch the bunny event whenever I see it up- it has become a thing for me
Queensdale is a really nice zone.

I don’t really like the rest of the human lands at all, which is hilarious considering most of my characters are human.

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Dredgehaunt Cliffs. Events EVERYWHERE.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Lornar’s Pass. This place looks nice and wish there was something to do in that zone so more than 3 persons visited it every week.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I made a exact same post many months ago and stated there that Frostgorge Sound was my fav map. Not only coz of the amazing beauty both on land and u/water but also coz it has Koda!

Ofc I love all the zones but there’s something magical about Frostgorge Sound.

Attachments:

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

My favorite zone is probably Ascalon. But it still pales in comparison to anything Blizzard can come up with. The starting area for the Night Elves is amazingly beautiful, and then the trees in the forest are perfectly placed along with architecture that depends on the different races.

But yeah, Ascalon is probably the closest in beauty compared to WoW.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I absolutely love anything to do with the Shiverpeaks. I can’t separate the maps down to a particular favourite. Maybe Timberline Falls or Lornar’s Pass.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Timerbline. Easily the most “Biodiverse” of the zones (swamp in one corner, Mellagan & crater lake in the other, pretty mountain streams everywhere, and huge peaks & waterfalls) …not to mention more Rosemary than any other zones combined if you guest to the right servers…

Attachments:

Posted by: uberkingkong.8041

uberkingkong.8041

Hearts of the Mist,

Its one of the only PvP zones, everybody likes PvP in that zone, theres lots of stuff to do like training golems, practice using trebuchet.

Its the best zone in the game.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Also a big fan of Timberline Falls. I like water, snow and mountains, and this zone has it all.

Attachments:

Posted by: citypigeon.6358

citypigeon.6358

Queensdale!!!!!!!! Beautiful, and lots of people all the time! That’s how the game should be! The rest of the game, save for LA, is just a giant ghosttown in comparison to the small pocket that is Queensdale and all of its nonstop, compact dynamic events. I spend most of my time there nowadays, even with my max characters.

I used to like Orr, Pre-nerf, for the same reasons (except its not pretty) But now I have to be lucky to login at a time there are enough people to do one temple. And thats it.

I’d like to give a shoutout to Timberline Falls for its unique scenery. I am always so impressed how they captured that particular fresh, crisp, atmostphere unique to high-altitude valleys.

Every zone totally wins, in terms of visuals and details. But in terms of play/vitality, it remains Queensdale.

IGN: zestalyn
zestalyn.tumblr

Morrigan.2809

Interesting to see what people like
@ Tiger Ashante- I remember that topic

Some more pics from Ascalon- Iron Marches this time

In the first pic there is a tower in the distance, on that tower is a char that is in charge of the construction of the little town at the foot of the tower.
He tells you “isn’t it beautiful” and he is so proud of his work.
Then naturally the flame legion attacks, it was too hard to do by myself but two other rangers came and helped out and we saved the Charr’s little town

The second pic is near Bria’s cottage- the scene of a very creepy Hansel and Gretel type event

Third and forth- at the lake where the Brand starts- one of the coolest, strangest spots I have seen- I just love the look of it.

Attachments:

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Rainbow Sprint.3215

Rainbow Sprint.3215

Iron marches. I love Kralkatorrik, the branded lands with crystals everywhere coming out of the ground; and iron marches has a huge area that’s branded, combined with the beauty of ascalon, along with that one heart there that takes place in a haunted forest that isn’t really explained.

Posted by: CrossFire.8037

CrossFire.8037

Caledon Forest. It’s Vibrant with colour. I love the Sylvari house pods and the zone has good JPs.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Lornar’s Pass. It’s a huge zone (just like in GW1), with two different environments as well (snow and forest). It has several underground areas, some unique creatures…. all it really lacks is an epic zone boss. I think that giant bridge to the Priory may be one of my favorite visuals in the whole zone.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I don’t really have an absolute favourite, but a couple of favourites ‘bits’ are all the ruins in Ascalon, I love ruins, in every game I always love them. I really like snowy areas aswell, so lornar’s pass is one of my favourites aswell. The volcano in mt Maelstrom is also quite nice, aswell as the tiny ‘island/shoreline’ all the way to the southeast in that zone. I also like dense forests but this game doesn’t really have that, only jungles or open ‘forest-like’ places. There’s plenty of spots that I think are pretty awesome. Overall the game world is well made with alot of attention detail for an MMO, even the zones with themes I don’t really like (all the purple stuff in the branded scar). It was still pretty awesome fighting Shatterer the first time.