in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mistyknight.1309

mistyknight.1309

want a fun professtion and race to start of with any ideas

what professtion to start with and what race

Posted by: Kumouta.4985

Kumouta.4985

depends entirely on the person. i recommend making a bunch of characters with different professions and taking the one you like most.
race doesnt really matter, but for fun starting areas i’d geuss charr or asura.

I can apply over 3 stacks of bleeding.

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

want a fun professtion and race to start of with any ideas

Sylvarie Mesmer, or Charr Necromancer!

They are very fun classes and the race is equally fun….also both are top tier classes.

Posted by: alairus.4521

alairus.4521

YouTube the difference races main stories and histories. Do the same for the professions and there you go. I have a human warrior because I like to pretend it’s me going on the adventures

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Your race doesn’t affect your stats at all and only has a very minor effect on your skills (you get a few race-specific skills, but they’re all intentionally weaker than your other skills so they’re not much use). It does affect what your character looks like and their Personal Story. (And where in the world they start, but you can leave your starting map right away so that doesn’t matter.) So I recommend picking whichever race you like the look of, or like the lore for the most.

Your profession will have more of an impact on gameplay, but there’s no right or wrong answer here. Everyone’s favourite is someone else’s least favourite and everything someone finds boring someone else loves doing.

I recommend making a bunch of characters and playing around to see which you enjoy most.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Warrior Charr is kewl, kitten.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Jonny.6013

Jonny.6013

Asura Elementalist.

The answer to this question is always Asura Elementalist…

Posted by: Linthenius.3704

Linthenius.3704

My recomendation would be to just pick whatever looks most interesting to you.

However, I would potentially avoid engineer as your first class. Since its probably the most complicated, and having knowledge on the games core mechanics as a whole will help ALOT with them.

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

As you have multiple character slots I recommend to make 3 characters: 1 Heavy, 1 Medium and 1 Light. Just play with them and enjoy it, getting to level 80 (max lvl) is really easy in this game.

For heavy I would recommend either Warrior or Guardian, both are fun classes to play with, Guardian being more paladin oriented, Warrior being more physical.

Medium: Ranger is pretty new-player-friendly, kinda Pokemon (you have to find and tame your pets). Thief is also awesome for beginning due its great mobility.

Light: I recommend Mesmer, since this is the only game where I’ve seen a class like this. It relies a lot in randomness, illusions and creating chaos around enemies.

For races I recommend Humans or norns Because their starting cities are pretty easy to explore BUT you should pick something you like visually, remember it’s what you’re gonna be staring at while you play so pick something that’s visually appealing to you, no race is stronger than other no matter what they say (XXXX-master race, etc)

Have fun and welcome!

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

depends entirely on the person. i recommend making a bunch of characters with different professions and taking the one you like most.
race doesnt really matter, but for fun starting areas i’d geuss charr or asura.

I would disagree about the race. Cultural armor is race specific so keep that in mind if you have a armor set in mind.

Some of the elite skills are race based as well.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

norn warrior!
crank that height scale right up and get smashing skulls!

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

All opinions, of course:

The bigger races, norn and charr, can whack their heads on stuff. That is to say, in tight spaces they can be bothersome to maneuver.

The smallest race, asura, can suffer from “I-cant-see-my-armor-itis” which is to say, things are scaled so that kewl weapon or armor detail is lost until you zoom in tight. But I think they have the best animations and story and just a fun, humorous society.

For me, and at least one other poster I remember, the charr running animation makes me sea sick. Obviously, that must affect a vast minority of players, but worth mentioning if you are sensitive to such things.

All toons move at the same speed, scaled so a human is the norm, so norn feel like they are plodding along and asura feel like they are tripping over their own feet to keep up, even though they are not. I’m sure if you “main” one, then you probably don’t notice, but I play a lot of toons so it is obvious.

Another consideration is male vs female. In game terms, no difference, but the voice and animations are different, so try both.

Of my 40+ toons, I have way more humans and asura, a few sylvari, two norn, one charr. That poor charr elementalist has been parked at a reward chest forever now…

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Warrior Charr is kewl, kitten.

High five, soldier!

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Well I have:

Norn 8 times:
2 berserkers, 1 tempests, 1 ranger, 1 chrono, 1scrapper, 1guardian,1 herald

Sylvari 7 times:
1 druid, 1 reaper, 1 mesmer, 2 daredevils, 1 tempest, 1 guardian

Human, 4 times:
2 tempests, 1 necro, 1 dragonhunter

Charr, 2 times:
1 Necro , 1 Warrior

Asura…, -none-
Well I deleted those for being little know-it-alls… as such I do not agree with them a lot.

I also noticed I have 19 female characters and 2 male (Charr Necro and Sylvari Guardian)…

This also means all my Norns are female, due to male Norns being pretty ugly IMHO

I found revenant and engineer not my playstyle.. and this doesn’t mean they are not fun, they are just not for me. They are used for chest duty, or storage. I however keep ‘m as futurer updates muight unlock something I’d appreciate

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

While it really does depend on your own “idea of fun” (i might suggest a stealthy thief but you like more warrior with aoe cleaving) i can suggest some fun classes for me and give you reasons why they are fun (again for me)

-Elementalists: I like how diverse they can be, obviously they dont exceed in all parts of the game but they do feel versatile when you play them. Lots of aoe, tons of dmg, can support and heal, has ice bow, group friendly.

-Revenant: Another versatile class, perhaps even more so than a ele, but mostly in melee range. Also, tons of reliable boons.

-Warriors: Simple,nooby friendly but very effective. High surviabilty, high dmg, very group friendly, support your team by increasing their dmg drastically. Nothing feels better than to charge head on into a ball of mobs that down everyone else but you keep on fighting, and when you finally do get downed you rise trough vengeance kill the last mob and you get self rezzed from downed state.

-Thief: Stealth and shadowsteps are incredibly fun when exploring the world, the jumping puzzles and mini dungeons. It is also very very useful in group dungeons and fractals.

-Ranger: Noob friendly, versatile weapon choices, has its own “gotta explore and charm em all minigame” with pets. Can be fun to use pets to tank hard champion mobs and it allows you to solo them. Very group friendly, tons of dmg modifiers and best burst healing in game.

As for races here are my views on them:

1) Human: Basic, simple, standard, the classic. Armor looks very nice on them
2) Sylvari: They glow in the dark, their cultural armor also glows in the dark (and can be dyed), they have special parts and dialogues in HoT story. They have a 3s invul elite skill
3) Asura: Very tiny, have some rare special conversations, bad with “fashion” cause tiny size. Their elite skills are fun.
4) Norn: Just a tall version of a human, tho the male ones are a bit broader. Very tall characters= very large weapons. Norns have some really interesting tatoos.
5) Charr: Its fun to play a large strong lion/bull beast. you have tails! Tall charrs= large weapons. Battle roar and warband support racial skills are useful but weaker version of warriors for great justice, and thieves thieves guild elite skill. Note that armor, specially the helm, pants and boots arent often made very good for charrs, tho the new armor added +cultural armor looks great.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

Not gonna touch profession advice since others already commented

Just wanted to say that jumping puzzles and doing difficult jumps for vistas are easiest with :
humans/sylvari/asura

norn can be annoying sometimes when they are so big

Charr hardest because they are big + it is not always that easy to see the center standing point of your character especially when you run with weapons stowed (on all 4 paws instead of just 2 feet)

This is a rather minor point and shouldnt be your primary decision maker obviously but i just wanted to mention it ^^

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1