why LA ruined in PS?

why LA ruined in PS?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

Would have thought that the instances at least would be taking place in old lions arch but just started a fragile peace and i am definitely in the ruined lions arch post scarlet

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

why LA ruined in PS?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The technology was set up where the instances use the open world counterpart and just modify it. So whatever is in the real world, that’s what you’ll get in the instances in the PS.

It was probably not the best way to do it, but it would probably require a major rewrite of the game to work that way now.

why LA ruined in PS?

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

If they can make dungeons they have the technology to fix LA.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

why LA ruined in PS?

Posted by: CJay.4067

CJay.4067

Just saw it on my own a few days ago, it feels so weird.

why LA ruined in PS?

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

We have the technology. We can rebuild it.

I ? Karkas.

why LA ruined in PS?

Vayne.8563

Sure they can. We have the technology now to put a manned outpost on the moon too but it’s not worth the cost involved in doing so.

No one said it can’t be done. But if it is a major undertaking, that means that it would take people away from other projects. If you’re new to the forums, you may not have noticed that everyone wants more content.

That doesn’t come under that category. That comes under the category of improving old content.

I’m guessing the cost/time to fix this issue would set back other plans.

why LA ruined in PS?

Aguri.2896

Sure they can. We have the technology now to put a manned outpost on the moon too but it’s not worth the cost involved in doing so.

No one said it can’t be done. But if it is a major undertaking, that means that it would take people away from other projects. If you’re new to the forums, you may not have noticed that everyone wants more content.

That doesn’t come under that category. That comes under the category of improving old content.

How hard can it be to paste an already existing map into the game? Unless each individual map has some sort of ID or something tied to it that prevents the new Lion’s Arch from co-existing with the old one, I don’t see why it would be that difficult. Continuity is important for story and story seems to be important for this game. They took the time to re-do the trading post and hero’s tab, neither of which needed to be changed except for maybe the option to look for class specific armor, so why is this a problem?

They also need to do something about the other areas of the game that have been altered due to story, something that is really confusing if you aren’t there yet in the story. I realize that they probably don’t have the technology to fix the open maps for certain players as we haven’t seen an example of it in the game but it’s important too.

At the moment time is all messed up in the story. I don’t want to bash the game or the devs, but this lack of continuity breaks immersion and makes the game look sloppy.

(edited by Aguri.2896)

why LA ruined in PS?

Vayne.8563

How hard can it be to paste an already existing map into the game? Unless each individual map has some sort of ID or something tied to it that prevents the new Lion’s Arch from co-existing with the old one, I don’t see why it would be that difficult. Continuity is important for story and story seems to be important for this game. They took the time to re-do the trading post and hero’s tab, neither of which needed to be changed except for maybe the option to look for class specific armor, so why is this a problem?

They also need to do something about the other areas of the game that have been altered due to story, something that is really confusing if you aren’t there yet in the story. I realize that they probably don’t have the technology to fix the open maps for certain players as we haven’t seen an example of it in the game but it’s important too.

At the moment time is all messed up in the story. I don’t want to bash the game or the devs, but this lack of continuity breaks immersion and makes the game look sloppy.

It’s not a matter of pasting it into the game. It doesn’t work that way at all. When you enter an instance, you’re entering the world. It’s designed that way. To have it not default to the world requires programming. How hard would it be? Anet has already said, straight out, that they’re talking about what they can do, but that it would take a lot of work. The question was already brought up.

How hard can it be. Very, depending on how its set up now. Ask any programmer how hard stuff like that can be.

why LA ruined in PS?

Aguri.2896

It’s not a matter of pasting it into the game. It doesn’t work that way at all. When you enter an instance, you’re entering the world. It’s designed that way. To have it not default to the world requires programming. How hard would it be? Anet has already said, straight out, that they’re talking about what they can do, but that it would take a lot of work. The question was already brought up.

How hard can it be. Very, depending on how its set up now. Ask any programmer how hard stuff like that can be.

Even if it takes time and resources it is something they should iron out before there are more inconsistencies to deal with from growing LS. It’s no less important than the other feature pack stuff we have gotten and should get attention.

why LA ruined in PS?

Vayne.8563

Even if it takes time and resources it is something they should iron out before there are more inconsistencies to deal with from growing LS. It’s no less important than the other feature pack stuff we have gotten and should get attention.

Since I don’t know what else is being worked on, I really don’t know how I could prioritize the work flow.

It could well be that the issue is so complex, it might take months. Is it important enough to take a team of guys to fix for most people? That I’m not so sure about. Without knowing the complexity of the fix required, and why it’s complex, I can’t try and dictate a company’s priority list. It’s like back seat driving while you’re not even in the car.

why LA ruined in PS?

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

Lion’s Arch changes quite often, and is being rebuilt at the moment, so there’s little point putting rework into the Personal Story now when it would need to be reworked again in the near future.

why LA ruined in PS?

Aguri.2896

Since I don’t know what else is being worked on, I really don’t know how I could prioritize the work flow.

It could well be that the issue is so complex, it might take months. Is it important enough to take a team of guys to fix for most people? That I’m not so sure about. Without knowing the complexity of the fix required, and why it’s complex, I can’t try and dictate a company’s priority list. It’s like back seat driving while you’re not even in the car.

If they continue to destroy and alter things the world will become more and more disjointed and the story will make less and less sense. It’s important to fix this problem if a living, breathing world with a story that leaves player feeling involved is their goal. The reason I am saying it should be a priority is because it’s better to find a fix now before they have more broken instances, assuming they are planning on breaking more things and based on the recent Living Story I am going to assume they are. Especially if it is taking away from their goal for this game. Immersion is key in a living world and these inconsistencies are threatening that immersion.

Yes, I do want more content but at this point I realize the game is going to be needing a lot of polishing and that seems to be what feature packs have been focused around so there’s no escaping it. Why not work it into a feature pack? I’m no programmer but I can’t understand why it’s okay to completely re-do the trading post and hero tab and not this. Especially when those changes were as unnecessary as they are. I love GW2 but I hate seeing parts of it die… was so good at first but now it’s a bit of a mess with the UI changes and living story confusion not to mention the NPE…

why LA ruined in PS?

Posted by: Roybe.5896

Roybe.5896

A thought. As the game continues to grow, the original personal storyline becomes more obsolete, seriously who needs to work through a story about killing a dragon that is now two years dead?

With the current changes in the personal story, I’m starting to believe that the personal story will be removed completely from the game or made into something similar to the LS where you can move through it episodically to ‘relive the magic’.

It is something that is NOT neccessary for new player to get ‘the experience’.

Yes, this is a huge break from MMO gameplay, but in the sense of a Living World, I’d find this acceptable.

why LA ruined in PS?

Posted by: ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

@Roybe – What kind of nonsense is that? How do ANY of the changes they made to the personal story imply that they’re removing it?

And no, the dragon isn’t “two years dead”, not for new players. The ENTIRE point of the NPE was to cater to new players. Why would they undermine that completely and remove one of the most important features of the game?

Dude, are you high right now?

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]

why LA ruined in PS?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The problem with adding the old maps is just that. They’d be adding entire maps to the game that you’re only going to see a few times. This would bloat the file size of the game, costing them more in bandwidth per download. They also have to keep in mind the system requirements.

Depending on how their instancing works, it may also not be very efficient for them to create instances for rarely played maps.

And no, the dragon isn’t “two years dead”, not for new players.

In the game, the dragon is considered dead. They decided this with the recent living story season and added a calendar to show it. Everything involving the Pact has been considered to have already happened, so you’re basically reliving the events from the past (GW1’s approach) when you play through it now.

Although none of this will matter to a new player, it’s the world’s history.

why LA ruined in PS?

Posted by: ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

ShadowDragoonFTW.3418

And no, the dragon isn’t “two years dead”, not for new players.

In the game, the dragon is considered dead. They decided this with the recent living story season and added a calendar to show it.

Correction. In current living story, the dragon is dead. However, in every single zone that existed before living story, it’s still stuck in a time before Zhaitan was killed. (That is, save for the very, very few small sections that have had open-world Living Story content added, but those are extremely limited.)

Canonically, every single time you step into Shaemoor, it’s still back 2 years ago, before the forming of the pact, before the defeat of Zhaitan. For every new player entering the game, that hasn’t reached level 80 and hasn’t unlocked Living Story, then it still is at pre-Zhaitan times for them.

You have to remember, characters need to be level 80 to access personal story content. Don’t forget that part. If they removed all the story that leads up to level 80, what would you expect players to do for the entire stint of time until they suddenly unlocked the Living story content, which to them would be unlike anything they’ve seen before?

Baelyyrn [Zero Brigade]
Mechanist Gregory [BEER]
Arondight Unfading [ZB]