why all the dislike towards Farming?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Roundabout.1752

Roundabout.1752

Q:

I’ve been hopping map to map in PvE and WvW and something that seems to carry over to every one of them is something as close to hate as I would ever want to see in a game. WvWer’s hate PvE achievement point farmers PvE players seem to want to go after anyone playing in an area to extract as much from it as possible, I don’t get it. All I’m asking is why?

Posted by: Esmee.1067

Esmee.1067

First of all, it’s the internet. People don’t have to fear consequences as much as real life and in some people this brings up the worst in them. Luckily for some other people it simply counters shyness or limitations and they get social and have fun.

If WvW’ers mention a dislike to PvE achievement farmers it’s most likely related to the WvW Fall Tournement. PvE’ers clog up the queues which can mess up raids, especially on highly populated servers. No-one likes to wait in the queue and no Commander likes to be unable to hop to a different borderlands just because his zerg can’t follow. Luckily this achievement is super short, so I doubt it causes that much issues, but in return WvW’ers might feel the PvE’ers don’t deserve the rewards they work for.

Allergy-warning: This section contains some traces of sarcasm.

Anything else than this, is just ungrounded downtalking to feel superior themselves simply since they decided to play a certain aspect of the game, obviously their aspect is better/more challanging/superior in any other way you can think off. Who hasn’t heard people claiming only WvW is challanging, requiring tactic and teamwork, where-as other claim it’s just mindlessly zerging and personal skill makes no difference at all, except for the commander. Or the sPvP’ers telling people if they want a real challange, they should play sPvP, instead fighting a computer over and over. Where-as some PvE’ers might feel the occasions they have a perfect match-up are too rare, they rather work on mastering a difficult PvE-encounter. And in return PvE’ers feel their aspect is superior because… hmm…., well see this, this is my Eternity, so obviously I’m epic, and thus right, so ye. Just take my word for it.

On a more serious note:
People having different taste, believes, methods and goals can sometimes lead to a little clashing. I can’t say I’ve seen much hate myself, but I feel truly sorry if you had a night with so much hate being thrown around.

(edited by Esmee.1067)

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

Personal opinion:

- Farmers can ruin the in game immersion for players who enjoy exploring the environment for the sake of it, rather than for accumulating fake currency. In some instances farming trains can also be aggressive toward people playing the game as is natural to them without being aware of which events need to be played which way for maximum loot. So it may incline people to feel farmers play in a greedy, pushy way.

- Farming can be relaxing and making good profit for time invested is welcome when working on a legendary, for example, which is an immense time investment already and may take months. But at the end of the day, the money, the items, etc, are not real. Being upset or “working” if it’s not fun, means that I am spending many hours of my life unhappy for no real or lasting gain.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I don’t think people dislike farmers. I think there is a small percentage of farmers who are give the rest of them a bad name, but calling out anyone who affects what they’re doing.

Once, in Queensdale, I killed a champ. I wasn’t really thinking about it. Some farmer calls me out on map and starts yelling at me for ruining the train. This is the kind of thing that gives farmers a bad name.

Even after I apologized and said I wasn’t thinking, a couple of guys continued to hurl abuse at me.

Most farmers are fine, but a few vocal bad guys ruin the reputation of all of them.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I’ve seen instances of “PvE vs. PvP” verbal wars on occasion in this community, as well as in other games. It reminds me of the democrat vs. republican stuff; it’s like people think that you are part of one game type or the other and each one thinks the other is the spawn of satan.

(Obviously this not all people who play the game types – probably not even close to most. Just a fascinatingly silly thing that I’ve noticed.)

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: LONGA.1652

LONGA.1652

Just conflict of Interest thats happen all the time.One guy think what other guy doing is stupid.Dramas sure to follow.

In my opinion guildwars doesn’t need much grind. Farming in general pretty much waste of time unless its a filler between activity like WvW queue or waiting for friends to fill up dungeon group .

(edited by LONGA.1652)

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

There is farming and then there is farming. At one time, near Mount Maelstrom, Gauntlet Gulch, I used to farm the spiders there. There are 4 “nests” and if I did them in sequence I could stomp and kill the spiders from each one, stop and kill the veteran spider and its entourage, and rinse repeat until my Diminishing Returns kicked in. As the wife and I usually leveled our characters together, I would spend my time making coin when she was not on by farming spiders.

Now this type of farming did not affect anyone else, it did not involve part of a quest or a personal story-line and in essence was totally innocuous. However ANET saw fit to nerf it and change the spawn timers on the nests so it was no longer a viable area to farm. I never did figure out their reasoning behind it. I cannot see the logic behind nerfing or restricting such farming when they already have their diminishing returns doing that for them.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

There is farming and then there is farming. At one time, near Mount Maelstrom, Gauntlet Gulch, I used to farm the spiders there. There are 4 “nests” and if I did them in sequence I could stomp and kill the spiders from each one, stop and kill the veteran spider and its entourage, and rinse repeat until my Diminishing Returns kicked in. As the wife and I usually leveled our characters together, I would spend my time making coin when she was not on by farming spiders.

Now this type of farming did not affect anyone else, it did not involve part of a quest or a personal story-line and in essence was totally innocuous. However ANET saw fit to nerf it and change the spawn timers on the nests so it was no longer a viable area to farm. I never did figure out their reasoning behind it. I cannot see the logic behind nerfing or restricting such farming when they already have their diminishing returns doing that for them.

You were making too much money. There are two main ways to make money in the game – the encouraged gem store gems to gold option and the simply tolerated everything else in the game.

Usually things that work well or too well are taken away.

They can always say " it wasn’t working as intended" and they’d be right because they never intended us to be able to get decent sums of gold by actually playing the game.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

I don’t think people dislike farmers. I think there is a small percentage of farmers who are give the rest of them a bad name, but calling out anyone who affects what they’re doing.

Once, in Queensdale, I killed a champ. I wasn’t really thinking about it. Some farmer calls me out on map and starts yelling at me for ruining the train. This is the kind of thing that gives farmers a bad name.

Even after I apologized and said I wasn’t thinking, a couple of guys continued to hurl abuse at me.

Most farmers are fine, but a few vocal bad guys ruin the reputation of all of them.

This is very true.. the main stay of farming communities are enjoying the game hopping into a train then moving on and they have no issue in respecting others who have no interest in farming but want to complete events/champs and move on.

The issue is presented when those with bigger ego’s, and an insatiable desire to overfarm, exploit and generally feel entitled to ownership of the events/champs start to bad mouth others and thus create a Toxic environment.
Queensdale was a good example, but at the same time I blame ANET for implanting such a large amount of Champs on a “blink and miss out” rotation.. on a starter map.

Cursed Shore has a large amount of champs, as does Frosty.. the levels of Toxicity are generally pretty low because there is more choice and the zones are max level so players are there predominantly for the same reasons as well as levelling/map completion at the same time.
On the flip side the only issues that then get presented on such maps is when those farming communities find a flaw in an event and seek to exploit it on viral scales and .. like with Blix those levels of toxicity increase dramatically.

Champ trains move around the maps, which is fine.. stopping and running the same event then failing it purposely to keep the loot flowing is definitely not an acceptable farming becuase those larger than life ego’s will do and say anything in order to protect their claim of ownership.. and so the nerf bat hits and the farming community (which I happily jump into when I have the time) gets tarnished because of those numpties.

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

Ignore those people.

Self-belief that whenever they join a certain map, everything on that map belong to them. You need their special permission to act on their maps.
Otherwise a huge drama will come out.

I already have been reported many times for killing certain champions which as they said, they’re farming them and I should wait for them.

Like with Eye of Zhaitan, or previously in QD.

Same goes in WvW.
Taking the point or tower with 2 more people is unforgivable – some commanders and blobs act like this xD

Nevertheless, I would advise to ignore such people.
Single digit IQ level is a max, what their mind is capable of achieving.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Posted by: Bolbo Baggins.8594

Bolbo Baggins.8594

Theres farmers of two types. The one that dont get in the way (dungeon farmers) and the ones that do (the so called open world exploiters, remember the champ train nightmare? and now Drytop and other areas are infested with the same people).
But i think you already knew the answer to your question very well.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

More than likely it’s out of greed or envy. The people that complain the loudest just don’t want anyone else to have anything.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

I hate the farmers you talk about in WvW. There always the ones that rallybot and manage to lose you fights (and what would have been easy bags). They take up map queues denying players who legitimately want to play WvW rather than farm AP. They don’t want to learn how to play the game properly, they are just looking for the easy way, which effects my gameplay negatively. If it didn’t effect my gameplay negatively, I wouldn’t care. But it does in many ways, so I don’t like that they do that.