why are not more people wearing wings?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Not that I am complaining! Just after how many people wore the black wings the day they were released (and were constantly asking for black and/or white ones) it was a bit odd that the white ones were not more popular. So far I have seen one of my characters (who looks like a Valkyrie plus it went with the blue/white color scheme I wanted) and a friend who said her dungeon party all had them on. I think I spotted one person in the distance who had them too but that was it.

It is nice, like most I could not STAND almost everyone wearing the black wings during boss fights. I also hope it is a 24-hour thing so that does not happen again. It was just odd.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Fashion fads come and go. Once the new wears out, so does a lot of interest. Just the way things are.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

What are you talking about? I see people in the white wings all the time.

In general when a new skin like that comes out, everyone gets it, everyone wears it, and everyone realizes how lame it is to have everyone in the same skin and then most stop using them (this is an argument for exclusive skins from challenging content—but that’s a different topic). People like cool looking skins, that’s a given, but most people don’t like when everyone else has it too. It’s like showing up to a party and someone there has the same shirt on you do, and then you keep walking and see 4 or 5 more people with the same shirt on you do. Odds are you’d go and change your shirt or never wear that shirt again.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Because they are ugly and impractical and if somebody is wearing them in front of me when i do jp-s i alt tab and check my fb untill they go away. Sometimes i whish there is friendly fire ingame so i can push them off and yell while they fall: WELL HOW ARE YOUR WINGS WORKING OUT NOW?

If i wanted flappy wings in my face while doing stuff i would steal my neighbours chicken and tape it to my forefead.

(edited by Oxidia.8103)

Menadena.7482

Yes, if it were only people wearing them the one day that would fit. What made it perplexing was so many people asking for them. Not that I mind being pretty much unique.

What is frustrating in general is they (and almost all back items to be honest) clip with many stowed weapons. My preferred ones are all stowed back there so it is a constant annoyance to always see clipping front and center on my screen. Unlike with most backpacks I can just think of the wings as moving out of their way because steel/wood is a bit more tough than feathers pushed into skin.

Posted by: BeckaPL.2670

BeckaPL.2670

As other people have said, lots of people had them when they first released, but as people realised either that so many people had them, or that they didn’t actually particularly like them the started to drop off a bit. Happens with literally everything added to the game. When chaos skins released there were glowing bright white weapons all over the place. Same happens with gameplay as well. I bet when HoT releases we’ll see almost everybody using the elite specs, and after a while they’ll drop down considerably when people decide they don’t like them as much. After a while you’re left with the few people who genuinely like the skins and want to use them rather than just wanting new stuff.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Because they are fugly thats why.

If I wanted to be a pigeon, I wouldnt be playing GW2.

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

Charr + Wings =

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Menadena.7482

Some things stay and others do not. A few weeks ago almost everyone was sporting the dragon from 2-factor authentication, now few are. Maybe because it was the dragon was free?

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Because they are fugly thats why.

If I wanted to be a pigeon, I wouldnt be playing GW2.

lol, yeah this. xD

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

Because they don’t behave like wings. They behave like toilet paper hanging off a frame. Make them work like they did in City of Heroes and I might buy them.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Because personally I find them far to obtrusive and intrusive. I much prefer the sun or wind catcher back pieces to these obnoxious view blocking monstrosities. Then again I prefer to actually see the game I am playing and not just a field of wings.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

People who just bought them because they were new and shiny have lost interest.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: RubberDougie.2750

RubberDougie.2750

This isn’t AION.

Posted by: Moonlit.6421

Moonlit.6421

Lol all the people who hate them always talk like everyone hates them and shares their opinion. Bc human logic, if I don’t like it no one else must like it either. X3

Menadena.7482

Whether people hate them or not on others was not what I asked, read the OP again. It comes down to 2 observations if people will not do so:

1) when black wings were introduced they were everywhere

2) people have been asking for white wings on the forums ever since

So again, given (1) and (2) why did we see lots of the black wings right after release but almost no white ones?

Posted by: Jimson.5168

Jimson.5168

Perhaps only a very noisy small group of people actually wanted them.

(Friendly request: Mr max size Norn with HUGE wings, please don’t go AFK for hours standing in front of the banker in Royal Terrace…)

Posted by: PseudoNewb.5468

PseudoNewb.5468

Whether people hate them or not on others was not what I asked, read the OP again. It comes down to 2 observations if people will not do so:

1) when black wings were introduced they were everywhere

2) people have been asking for white wings on the forums ever since

So again, given (1) and (2) why did we see lots of the black wings right after release but almost no white ones?

Because Arena Net screwed with how they released white wings. They made it available for a single day a while back so that many people missed them, and now, there really isn’t all that much interest in it anymore. It isn’t new and shiny anymore.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/white-feather-wings-gallant-weapon-set-and-black-lion-chest-update-in-the-gem-store/

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

You could take the answer black goes with anything, therefore a lot more people got the black ones because it’s easier to fit into their look.

Personally I don’t care for either because they look like paper wings to me.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: XinAvier.7069

XinAvier.7069

I had a discussion about this a while back with a few buddies. For a few of them, and me personally, they just look out of place. They also seem impractical considering the only purpose they serve is purely cosmetic. To each their own in the end, though.

Posted by: Jax.4903

Jax.4903

Personally I don’t care for either because they look like paper wings to me.

Yes, the wings physics are all wrong. If they were stiffer, had some feather ripple, and a more pronounced wing movement, they would be great.

The reason I didn’t buy Black Wings is because I didn’t want my character to become lost is a generic sea of Black Wings. I always try to stand out by choosing character outfits not often seen.

(edited by Jax.4903)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The original ones were too stiff. The later change was an improvement..until you fought and then they clipped through the body horrendously. If they looked good when worn in all situations, I would prob wear them, but there are too many issues with animations and clipping for my OCD to allow them back on my toons!

They also don’t fit the world at all, although that I can live with

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

dont like them.

fractal backpiece fits most of my toons the best, the remainign ones balthazar backpiece (if i remember correctly)

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I hate the wings, and everyone who wares them. I kid, but I do hate the wings.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

I love them but have not used mine yet and I bought them when they were first released. I just don’t yet have a character I want to use them on. I am hoping that by the time I do, they will be a rare sight and he or she won’t be lost in a sea of wings.

My friend, who rarely plays anymore, took one look and bought them too (great minds eh?) but you won’t see her’s much either.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

cause thats not aion… fortunally..

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

Because theyre ugly.

duh

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

Posted by: SnowHawk.3615

SnowHawk.3615

im personally tired of wings, why can’t we get a Melandru or Kormir backpiece?
wings are soooo reminiscent of the goth/hipster store hot topic

The wings are stupid and lore breaking anyways like what? who wears giant stupid wings into battle unless you’re a freaking archangel
which don’t exist in GW2 lore

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

They look stupid.

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

Cause when they were on sale for 1 day tons of people wore them then got over it. I see it more now but not as much as before cause lots already have them.

Certified Gameaholic

Posted by: Electra.7530

Electra.7530

I have the white wings and I also want the black wings. And, honestly, if they would do it, I would love it if we could do some artistic expression with wings, like make them sparkle, or have like rainbows hues or glossy look or butterflies flitting around them or just letting us color them with glossy, sparkly dyes. It would be more fun. I want my bling bling.

But, like any fashion, I have to be in the mood to wear them and I can understand that these wings are a distraction to other players. Sometimes they are a bit distracting to me, especially on jumping puzzles. So, mine are not checked atm.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Maybe because they have no bones?

im personally tired of wings, why can’t we get a Melandru or Kormir backpiece?
wings are soooo reminiscent of the goth/hipster store hot topic

The wings are stupid and lore breaking anyways like what? who wears giant stupid wings into battle unless you’re a freaking archangel
which don’t exist in GW2 lore

You seem to have ignored all those statues of Dwayna with the wings.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I bought the black wings but then they removed the bones and turned them into cotton batting that hangs from your back. I did not buy the white version of cotton batting as I did not like the new animation.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Dasefex.4810

Dasefex.4810

Because I will not become a victim to fashion wars

Fishy Joes 80 necro wvw
Digital Sacrifice Guild

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

I did not purchase wings because they’re made of rubber.

The nutty professor likes flubber but I am not nutty.

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

Why aren’t we wearing more wigs??!

Oh, misread. Carry on.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Zev.3407

Zev.3407

I got mine during the one day sale, and tons of people were wearing them for a few weeks.

Posted by: RubberDougie.2750

RubberDougie.2750

Until they make it so we can fly (and are forced to do so for new content) only with wings, I won’t wear them. Maybe I’ll craft a pair if it is needed in collections, though.

Posted by: johnnymiller.5968

johnnymiller.5968

Seen quite a few players wearing white wings. Almost none with the black ones.

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I think I would die of embarrassment if I was caught wearing those.

-cringe at the thought-

I think the reason a lot of people aren’t using them is self-explanatory…

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Everyone wanted them cuz they are new and limited and by now most ppl realized that they are ugly

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

Charr + Wings = Griffon

fixed that for you.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Because any skin released in the gemstore has a short life ingame. Those items eventually don’t feel like they have value because 95% of them were bought with $. People cried and cried for countess anise armor. Rarely do I see it ingame after first week.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

The Shatterer wings were everywhere after they came out. Hardly ever see them anymore. Same for the Sclerite Karka Shell and the Holographic Dragon wings. After the shiny wore off, they disappeared. These wings are having their day then most people will put them away for the next shiny and the cycle will continue,

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: darkprecure.6129

darkprecure.6129

Just logged into the game and the first thing I saw were 3 pairs of white wings. They ARE popular and many people are wearing them, although they are ugly (IMO, especially on Asura).

Posted by: smekras.8203

smekras.8203

Some of us just use whatever skins make sense for specific characters. Of my 21 chars, only one is using the white wings and only one is using the black ones (and only during Halloween). I know many others that follow this mentality.

That said, I’ve seen far more whites than blacks around. …and yes, I’d rather they moved a bit more naturally.

Server: Kaineng | Guild: Blackflame Legion [BFL]
Perhaps the only RP-oriented guild on the server
Main Character: Farathnor (sylvari ranger) 1 of 22

Posted by: serenke.4806

serenke.4806

Because they looked way better when the black ones were released. Then Anet “fixed” their physics so that when the white ones came out and i saw the new physics, i just didn’t like the way they moved anymore. Thus i am not using them.

Posted by: Roguedemonhunter.9621

Roguedemonhunter.9621

When the black wings came out they were stiffer and if not flapping like wings at least they pretended to be wings- halfway at rest.

When the white wings came out- both were suddenly redesigned to be floppy wing “capes”. Sadly without being properly redesigned to sit on the shoulders and hang or drape down- like a cape.

The only race they’re properly sized for as a “wing cape”/costume extension is Asura. They work alright on them. Not great -but ok. Passable.

For all the rest they are now far too big to be their floppy selves. They are most certainly NOT wings anymore.

They are floppy capes- horribly placed and draping badly while being far too oversized on all but one race. Which is sad cause they have an excellent “feathered cloth” appearance to them which could be quite graceful and wonderful costume addition.

I do miss the City of Heroes wings too. But if we cant actually fly and your not going to set them draping from the shoulders and DOWN as a feathered cape thenperhaps just redo them as glider wings- with those who have already shelled out gems for them getting those glider “wings” grandfathered to them?

And yes I got both to support. I do not “display” either of them atm in their current condition.

Peace out

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

Uh…. how are wings ugly?….. look at this in all of its majesty. You put twilight in this things hands and it’s straight up fallen angel reaper deliciousness

Attachments:

Posted by: Roguedemonhunter.9621

Roguedemonhunter.9621

Uh…. how are wings ugly?….. look at this in all of its majesty. You put twilight in this things hands and it’s straight up fallen angel reaper deliciousness

Because it takes exceptional costume choices to make them work this well I guess. Many people just slap them on anything. Good work though.