why can't we replace prefixes of equipment.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

in guild wars 1, we can.

in guild wars 2, the berserkers, rampagers, knights, soldiers etc prefixes.
why can’t we replace them easily?

surely in the future, we will be able to replace those stats easily, yes?

please tell me this is a work in progress.
thanks!

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Transmutation stones, amirite?

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

hmmm you are correct but in the original guild wars, the prefixes can be easily removed from unwanted armor or weapons and then easily reapplied onto any new armor or weapons.

in guild wars 2, only the suffixes i.e. armor runes and weapon sigils behave like this.
the prefixes are kinda built into the armor / weapons / trinkets and like you mentioned, require a fine transmutation stone.

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

Yup, spot on.

@Deimos ;
The system you are refering to was added late to GW1 life. There were people in high end armors that were “locked in” to stats and builds of previous versions of the game and had to be catered for. Hence the prefix switching in Nightfall and EotN.

Its one extra step in GW2 for the same effect. With it tied to mutation stones it gives the gem store a product it can sell to satisfy those that want it. That combined with the player getting basic ones as rewards for map exploration and sometimes fine ones as BL chest items, everyone is catered for.

You can change prefixes at will using mutation stones. So the game already has this feature as standard.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Yup, spot on.

@Deimos ;
The system you are refering to was added late to GW1 life. There were people in high end armors that were “locked in” to stats and builds of previous versions of the game and had to be catered for. Hence the prefix switching in Nightfall and EotN.

Its one extra step in GW2 for the same effect. With it tied to mutation stones it gives the gem store a product it can sell to satisfy those that want it. That combined with the player getting basic ones as rewards for map exploration and sometimes fine ones as BL chest items, everyone is catered for.

You can change prefixes at will using mutation stones. So the game already has this feature as standard.

yes, but it requires the usage of expensive fine transmutation stones. this was not the case in guild wars 1.

some people (like myself) will just avoid doing so all together.

Lexandro.1456

They are not expensive and can be had for free from BL chest. Go play some content sell the loot and spend the gold on them, its that simple.

You are asking for a feature the game already has, it wont be changed any time soon if at all.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

They are not expensive and can be had for free from BL chest. Go play some content sell the loot and spend the gold on them, its that simple.

You are asking for a feature the game already has, it wont be changed any time soon if at all.

using fine transmutation stones is different.
it destroys both items and makes a new one.

besides that it is also a gem store item.
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Transmutation_Stone

it costs at least 80 silvers of in game currency for x1 fine transmutation stone.
there should be non gem store methods to achieve the same thing.

well anet is certainly not getting my monies from fine transmutation stones until a better system is in place.

though i dun mind spending real dollars for permanent items such as:
- character slots
- bag slots
- bank slots (already maxed)

Lexandro.1456

You can get fine stones from BL chests for free. I have done so myself using keys from the personal story. I have also bought 5 via the gem store with in game gold. It is not expensive in the slightest.

Again, the feature of changing armor prefixes is already in the game. If you want to do so, spend game gold on it there is no need to spend any cash.

Gold>gems exchange>gem store>job done

If there was a “free” way to change prefixes on exotic 80 gear, no-one would buy mutation stones.

Argument is invalid.

(edited by Lexandro.1456)

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Yup, spot on.

@Deimos ;

yes, but it requires the usage of expensive fine transmutation stones. this was not the case in guild wars 1.

some people (like myself) will just avoid doing so all together.

only the fine ones are "expensive " and even those can be gotten as dayly/chest rewards or even convert gold to gems to get them

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

only the fine ones are "expensive " and even those can be gotten as dayly/chest rewards or even convert gold to gems to get them

yes, but the chances of getting one is quite low. converting gold to gems may be costly for some people. i.e. x1 fine transmutation stones cost at least 80 silvers based on the price of 2 gold per 100 gems.

the fact remains that a gem store item is required to do this and there is no other options.

this is not the case in guild wars 1.
in guild wars 1, prefixes can be easily removed and reapplied.

there are better ways to earn monies (character slots, bank slots, bag slots, town clothes, armor skins, etc other form of permanent items) from the players, forcing players to use fine transmutation stones is not one of them.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

You can get fine stones from BL chests for free. I have done so myself using keys from the personal story. I have also bought 5 via the gem store with in game gold. It is not expensive in the slightest.

Again, the feature of changing armor prefixes is already in the game. If you want to do so, spend game gold on it there is no need to spend any cash.

If there was a “free” way to change prefixes on exotic 80 gear, no-one would buy mutation stones.

Argument is invalid.

well if anet made my suggested LIVING EQUIPMENT system into the game i am sure a lot of people would buy fine transmutation stones.

forcing players to use fine transmutation stones like this is wrong.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Argument is invalid.

well some people would still buy fine transmutation stones to transmute armor skins etc.

argument is valid.

there are other ways to make players spend monies.
forcing usage of fine transmutation stones is not a good one.

Lexandro.1456

No sorry but your wrong. The sale of mutation stones would nose dive over night if there was a way to change prefixes for free. Thats were the vast majority of its sales comes from. It would kill the market for them.

And stating that 80 silver is expensive is frankly ludicrous. I do not spend any real money on gems, do not sit and farm the game over and over non stop, and certainly dont horde gold either since I am always skint (sub 50 silver per char). Yet I can get 80 silver in a heart beat in the game. Do any high level dungeon or a fractal or two and you will get more than enough to cover costs of mutation stones.

I see what this thread really is. Its bashing something in the game to “bigup” you own idea.

Again you can change prefixes at any time, day or night on any piece of armor. Only requirement is a mutation stone which is cheap to buy.

Hell I have 3 “fine” spare in my bank vault, plus around 8 or 9 normal ones.

Not expensive in the slightest.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

they would simply earn more.

more people would be likely to pay for permanent things

not temporary solutions.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Argument is invalid.

well if anet made my suggested LIVING EQUIPMENT system into the game i am sure a lot of people would buy fine transmutation stones.

But it wasn’t the case in Guild Wars 1 at launch. You had to wait 2 years to get that into Guild Wars 1. It didn’t happen at launch.

Actually, you’re acting quite entitled. It doesn’t MATTER if it was in Guild Wars 1 or not. It’s completely irrelevant. The inability to jump was in Guild Wars 1 too. Second professions were in Guild Wars 1. Energy was in Guild Wars 1. Dyes were in bottles, and you had to buy a new one every time you used it. There’s a lot of stuff in Guild Wars 1 that’s not here.

I don’t believe this game is going to change and I don’t believe it should. So pony up and buy some gems, or don’t. But what you’re asking is actually not reasonable.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Argument is invalid.

But it wasn’t the case in Guild Wars 1 at launch. You had to wait 2 years to get that into Guild Wars 1. It didn’t happen at launch.

Actually, you’re acting quite entitled. It doesn’t MATTER if it was in Guild Wars 1 or not. It’s completely irrelevant. The inability to jump was in Guild Wars 1 too. Second professions were in Guild Wars 1. Energy was in Guild Wars 1. Dyes were in bottles, and you had to buy a new one every time you used it. There’s a lot of stuff in Guild Wars 1 that’s not here.

I don’t believe this game is going to change and I don’t believe it should. So pony up and buy some gems, or don’t. But what you’re asking is actually not reasonable.

yes, it was introduced later in guild wars 1, but it eventually happened there players were not charged an arm and a leg for it.

what i am asking for is perfectly reasonable.
it is unreasonable to force usage of fine transmutation stones for such basic functions.
players should not have to resort to gem store items for such a basic functions.

guild wars 1 prefix
http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Insignia

Lexandro.1456

Its unreasonably to demand that Anet now change a fundamental part of the games equipment system to suit you. As I said the prefix changing was only added becuase new prefixes were included in Nightfall that old armors didnt have. Since thousands of players had spent lots of time and effort in GW getting things like Obsidian armor, it was an issue they resolved by allowing prefix changing.

There is no such issue in GW2.

Oh and btw those prefixs in GW1 DID cost and arm and a leg in game gold, particularly those for cookie cutter builds. By comparison the system in gw2 is much much cheaper. So again claiming poverty is a nonsense argument, as its easy enough to get the cash for mutation stones.

No Anet wont change it. No they wont use your idea.

Posted by: Serephen.3420

Serephen.3420

please, Deimos you’re just embarrassing yourself now….

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

it would make a lot of people happy if we can freely change any equipment’s skins & stats.

and i am sure there would be a lot of people who would gladly pay for that.

why is it no one else is seeing this?

are they all so short sighted?

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

oh, they would use my LIVING EQUIPMENT system idea if there is a large enough demand and support for it.

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

I wouldn’t stop at just renaming prefixes. I prefer that we can name our weapons (and armor maybe).

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Actually what the OP is asking for could actually be BETTER than using transmute stones.

Why?

Currently we are LOCKED in to specific stat bonuses for armours. Example:

Berserker: Power/Precision/Critical Damage.

Now what if I wanted Power/Toughness/Vitality? Currently this does not exsist as far as I am aware. They would have to add another named set and add it to the crafting tables. If they instead added items that let us choose which 3 stats we want for late game armour I think this would be a better idea for giving us more variety in stats/builds.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Actually what the OP is asking for could actually be BETTER than using transmute stones.

Why?

Now what if I wanted Power/Toughness/Vitality? Currently this does not exsist as far as I am aware. They would have to add another named set and add it to the crafting tables. If they instead added items that let us choose which 3 stats we want for late game armour I think this would be a better idea for giving us more variety in stats/builds.

well actually ++power +toughness +vitality sets do exist though

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

What the hell are you guys talking about? Does nobody know what fine transmutation stones actually do? You CANNOT change stats by transmution UNLESS you already have a piece of armor with those stats, in which case you already have what you want. The way GW2 is set up makes it stupidly hard to change builds since you need multiple different sets of equipment with different stats. This is being made even worse with the introduction of ascended items, which completely lock you into builds since it’s very time consuming to get more than one set of them (hell you need a full month for the amulet, and that’s IF you play every day).

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

yes, but the chances of getting one is quite low. converting gold to gems may be costly for some people. i.e. x1 fine transmutation stones cost at least 80 silvers based on the price of 2 gold per 100 gems.

the fact remains that a gem store item is required to do this and there is no other options.

this is not the case in guild wars 1.
in guild wars 1, prefixes can be easily removed and reapplied.

there are better ways to earn monies (character slots, bank slots, bag slots, town clothes, armor skins, etc other form of permanent items) from the players, forcing players to use fine transmutation stones is not one of them.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Armor skins as you mention are not permanent items. They work no differently than transumation stones. Once you’ve applied it to a set you need a new pack of armor skins or transmutation stones to carry them over to new gear.

And you gladly spend gold on town clothes but not on transumation stones?

No one is forcing anyone to buy transumation stones, you can wear the skin you got with the stats in the first place, stones and changing looks are optional. They are also not very costly. It takes you a day of farming to get enough gold for x-mute stones.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: raptor.1064

raptor.1064

The real problem is this game should not have been designed with a scummy cash grab gimmick for cosmetics instead of a proper system.

Even free to play MMOs do it better. Champion’s Online: soul bind an item and the skin is unlocked for your account, go to a tailor and you can change your armor/weapon to look like any other one you have ever equipped, and dye it at the same time. Cash shop to unlock skins you don’t have yet, or exclusive shop skins.

Paulytnz.7619

Why?

If this is true name the set. I have lvl 400 in Leatherworking and have not seen this set yet.

There is:

Cleric’s – Power/Toughness/Healing
Knight’s – Power/Toughness/Precision

They are the only 2 that come close.

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

What the hell are you guys talking about? Does nobody know what fine transmutation stones actually do? You CANNOT change stats by transmution UNLESS you already have a piece of armor with those stats, in which case you already have what you want. The way GW2 is set up makes it stupidly hard to change builds since you need multiple different sets of equipment with different stats. This is being made even worse with the introduction of ascended items, which completely lock you into builds since it’s very time consuming to get more than one set of them (hell you need a full month for the amulet, and that’s IF you play every day).

Yeah… Let me elaborate….

In gw1 there were upgrade prefixes you could use to change the weapon stats. I’ll put it in gw2 terms for those unfamiliar with how it worked in gw1:

I have a Knight’s Staff. I want to change it to a Giver’s Staff. I can grab a “Giver’s” prefix and change the Knight’s Staff into a Giver’s Staff.

also, don’t quote me but iirc, some weapons in gw1 were already upgradeable like a"staff heads" or “sword handles”

what other people are thinking about are inscriptions, which are much similar but were added later in the game

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

the problem is not the monies.

but the system is wrong.

Posted by: Manoa.5897

Manoa.5897

Why?

If this is true name the set. I have lvl 400 in Leatherworking and have not seen this set yet.

There is:

Soldier’s Gear. (it’s not craftable)

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item_nomenclature

Chaos Spatulai [Chef] | Paragon City Elite [PCE]
Henge of Denravi

Posted by: cletiscake.9173

cletiscake.9173

I totally agree with the OP. It’s ridiculous imo that you need to jump through hoops to acquire the gear with the looks and stats you want. If you transmute two items, you lose one set of items in the process. That is complete nonsense. If I spend time farming a whole set of gear because I like the way it looks, I’ve already invested my time in doing so. I should not have to invest more time and money to buy armour with the stats I want, and then transmute it to the skin I want, and then have to lose that peice of gear in the process.

Transmutation is also irreversible. Its not fair that I lose a whole set of armour after I invest my time, and possibly money, acquiring that armour. I can’t go back after I make a decision. I hate to bring up WoW’s transmog system, but all that is required is to pay a little bit of in-game gold and you can simply change the look of the armour you are wearing provided you have acquired the specific armour skin you want to transmog. The process does not consume either peices of gear, and the process is 100% reversible, and it’s also free to reverse the transmog.

And how about cultural armour? Or Karma armour? It takes a long time to get a whole set of Karma/cultural armour, yet I only have one stat variation to choose from? How does this make sense from a design perspective?

I understand why Anet sets things up in the cash shop because they need money. But I’m not getting any transmutation stones from gameplay, nor am I getting any BLS kits, or BL keys. My only option is to resort to spending my own money to buy gems, or pay the ridiculous price of gold-to-gems ratio, which is not an option for me, cuz I’m a casual player and I don’t make tons of money. I only have 5 fine transmutation stone with 50% map completion, not even enough for a full set of armour. I’ve been doing my dailies and monthlies, and I have yet to receive any black lion salvage kits, which is a HUGE boon to salvageing. I have not seen a Black Lion Key since lvl 40, and I have like 30 locked chests.

I started my own thread on this a couple of days ago. Stat Variations On Dungeon Gear

Edit: Grammar

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Items makers needs love too if you make it so any one could just simply switch what on there armor the TP would fall apart. The way it is now there is an endless demand for new gear and it keeps the TP alive and there by keeping gold reverent to the game. In GW1 gold was very worthless until you had a lot of it and ppl went to more of an item base economically ecto (the only one i know of) a like like in D2 where SOJ where the means of buying and selling.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Shayne Hawke.9160

Shayne Hawke.9160

Argument is invalid.

Whether it was in at launch or not is irrelevant. There’s no reason they couldn’t have looked at the systems currently in place in GW, recognized that they worked and were well liked, and used them again in GW2. By restricting them to what they had done with the game at launch, you’re making it seem like they’re not allowed to learn anything from the development choices they made after the game’s launch.

And it’s fair enough that if something was in GW, it doesn’t have to be in GW2. What doesn’t make sense is why they had a system in GW that worked and that people liked, but they sidelined it in favor of a different system that’s more like every other MMO on the market.

Its unreasonably to demand that Anet now change a fundamental part of the games equipment system to suit you.

What do you think Ascended gear is?

YT channel - GW2 Activity vids and more
Activities are dead.
Sanctum Sprint record times: any checkpoints – 39.333, all checkpoints – 1:55.633

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I agree with the OP.
The problems caused by this are:
1) Not all stat combos are in, and probably will never be.
2) You need to buy a completely new set of gear just to change your stats, instead of modding the one you have.

I can live with this mess, it’s just inefficient for Anet to have to code 800 armors every time instead of coding mods one time and then make 1 armor.

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

Yeah… Let me elaborate….

In gw1 there were upgrade prefixes you could use to change the weapon stats. I’ll put it in gw2 terms for those unfamiliar with how it worked in gw1:

I have a Knight’s Staff. I want to change it to a Giver’s Staff. I can grab a “Giver’s” prefix and change the Knight’s Staff into a Giver’s Staff.

also, don’t quote me but iirc, some weapons in gw1 were already upgradeable like a"staff heads" or “sword handles”

what other people are thinking about are inscriptions, which are much similar but were added later in the game

Why are you telling me this? My post already indicated that GW2’s system (as opposed to GW1) is ridiculous and locks people into builds. If we had the GW1 upgrades in GW2 everything would be fine and dandy, but we don’t, and as I’ve said transmutation stones do absolutely NOTHING to solve the problem, contrary to what others in this thread seem to think.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Paulytnz.7619

Why?

There is:

Soldier’s Gear. (it’s not craftable)

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Item_nomenclature

Wow why the hell do they hide these things away like this? If anything it’s things like this that just give my 1st reply here more credence. Why the heck should getting certain armour stats be a special mission in itself so that we can have the build we want so we can “play it our way”.

Imo crafters should be able to simply craft the basic gear as well as a prefix item that covers every single combination of the 3 stats.

Now imgaine doing a search for that lvl 80 armour you want to buy now just after hitting lvl 80. Doing a search for the armour will not result in HUNDREDS (cleric’s, beserker etc for all 3 weights) of variations as it currently does due to all of the named prefix sets. It would simply just have the set and thats it.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Items makers needs love too if you make it so any one could just simply switch what on there armor the TP would fall apart. The way it is now there is an endless demand for new gear and it keeps the TP alive and there by keeping gold reverent to the game. In GW1 gold was very worthless until you had a lot of it and ppl went to more of an item base economically ecto (the only one i know of) a like like in D2 where SOJ where the means of buying and selling.

no, it would not.

people would spend more.

in my opinion, a lot of people are holding back from spending because of this issue.

i am one of such people.

i would prefer to buy a new character slot and roll a new character than buy multiple sets of armor just to have different builds for PvE / WvW.

i have 9 character slots at the moment though only 8 were used.

Paulytnz.7619

no, it would not.

people would spend more.

in my opinion, a lot of people are holding back from spending because of this issue.

i am one of such people.

i would prefer to buy a new character slot and roll a new character than buy multiple sets of armor just to have different builds for PvE / WvW.

i have 9 character slots at the moment though only 8 were used.

I agree with this statement. If anything I think people would actually spend MORE for these prefix items so that they can change their build on the fly to suit the needs of the situation.

Also crafters WOULD make more cash from this because they would be able to craft and sell the Prefix items. Like I said above I would imagne they would sell quiet well for the situations and even MORE so if they gave us the option to craft every stat combination like I suggested.

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

I agree with this statement. If anything I think people would actually spend MORE for these prefix items so that they can change their build on the fly to suit the needs of the situation.

Also crafters WOULD make more cash from this because they would be able to craft and sell the Prefix items. Like I said above I would imagne they would sell quiet well for the situations and even MORE so if they gave us the option to craft every stat combination like I suggested.

aye, there is also not enough stats combinations.

what if i wanted something like this ..

++ vitality
+ toughness
+ power

or

++ toughness
+ vitality
+ power

or

++ power
+ precision
+ toughness