why do people forget about dungeons?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: zallis.2138

zallis.2138

I have noticed that a large number of people on the forums talk about why they find this game boring (most people who arent bored spend their time actually playing the game). When they are saying things like “there is nothing to do at end game other than world bosses” etc, they seem to forget that you can do dungeons. Dungeons are a big part of this game. If you dont like dungeons, do PvP. If you don’t like either, why are you playing an MMO?

I find that there is plenty to do at endgame. Dungeons, Dailies, Fractals, PvP, WvW, exploration, achievements, events, world bosses, crafting. Why can’t other people find these activities? Or is it that they just don’t want to find them?

P.S, If you are one of the people who just doesn’t like the fact that there is no raids or higher tier dungeon, you are not one of the people i am talking about above.

Information about New Outriders
en.guildwars2.com/forum/guilds/recruitment/New-OutRiders-NOR-Recruitment-Post/first#post2721974

Posted by: Shuguard.7125

Shuguard.7125

because most players have done everything multiple times and dungeons are not worth the time investment vs. loot. Most bosses don’t have good mechanics and are just plain boring to fight. Pvp is a different story. The only thing i like doing is frac 26/ 30 because it is moderately challenging and i really want a cool looking skin. In short make dungeons worth the loot.
Also why do other dungeons when CoF p1 gives a large amount of gold for speed running?

(edited by Shuguard.7125)

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Also why do other dungeons when CoF p1 gives a large amount of gold for speed running?

That’s the wrong mentality.
Do you play the game for fun, or to make it your job, just to buy the best stuff to show off?
I run CoE and Arah mostly. With the right team (one that’s prepared to be thought the boss mechanics, or one that knows it), it can be fun.

Other than that I do agree that dungeon loot is broken and needs fixing.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Some people find it fun to customize the way their character look. Who are you to judge what’s fun?

Money can do alot of things, speed leveling through crafting, buy exotic, legendary, name change, server transfer.

Some people dont’ even like to do dungeon.

Posted by: frostflare.6390

frostflare.6390

Its not wort the investment for me. I love dungeons, I really do. But I also want my character to be “my character”. You need gold to do that, and dungeons are just~meh. I also have rng issues, so that doesnt help. And then theres the fact that Anet’s balancing with dungeons is subpar. Some encounters are just pathetnicly easy. Some are ungodly difficult(Looking at you Gigantus)….I mean that took me 2 days to properly defeat him(with brakes and rage quits mind you). But still. And All I got out of that investment was a blue sheild. A blue sheild.

Like that was the best gift ever. A BLUE SHEILD. It wasnt even level 80 either. It was like 78. After that I said no more dungeons. If someone in the guild asks, yes-But I wont go out of my way to do it for no gold~

Posted by: Darkwolf.6291

Darkwolf.6291

If you dont like dungeons, do PvP. If you don’t like either, why are you playing an MMO?

False dichotomy is false. Perhaps I like world exploration and dynamic events? Perhaps I like things that you don’t?

Posted by: Limnage.9581

Limnage.9581

Dungeons are pretty boring for most players. The bosses are mostly HP sponges, and very few of them even have multiple phases (Lupi is the only one I can think of).

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

As much as I love doing dungeons…there’s simply no reason to do them here. Once you have the skins you want, it’s just the same old grind through easy(yet tedious) dungeons.

On WoW(just using it as a well known example), I always did dungeons over and over and over and over and over. They provided a quick, easy fix if I wanted to go tank, heal, or even dps. This game actively forces you to go out and look to try and find a group to do the content you want. Then the content itself is mind-numbingly easy and repetitive. Bosses and enemies within are huge HP pools with little actual challenge to them.

In the end, the content is simply not good enough for the lack of rewards you gain in return. There’s almost no reason for anyone to WANT to do them.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Dungeons are poorly designed in gw2. Not a single dungeon is fun after a week or two…

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I hate dungeons here, worst dungeons in a mmo i’ve ever done, so Repetitive..

Everything is insane for no apparent reason, classes have zero roles outside of whose DPS is bigger and the Rewards vs Risk is horrendous, actually the rewards are nonexistent..

FoTM is even worse

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I have noticed that a large number of people on the forums talk about why they find this game boring (most people who arent bored spend their time actually playing the game). When they are saying things like “there is nothing to do at end game other than world bosses” etc, they seem to forget that you can do dungeons. Dungeons are a big part of this game. If you dont like dungeons, do PvP. If you don’t like either, why are you playing an MMO?

I find that there is plenty to do at endgame. Dungeons, Dailies, Fractals, PvP, WvW, exploration, achievements, events, world bosses, crafting. Why can’t other people find these activities? Or is it that they just don’t want to find them?

P.S, If you are one of the people who just doesn’t like the fact that there is no raids or higher tier dungeon, you are not one of the people i am talking about above.

I personally found all the dungeons to be boring after multiple runs through each. So yeah, they were decent fun for a few weeks. Although I found them to be less fun than most other mmos. I am a holy trinity guy.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Some players find dungeons insanely hard, others find them insanely easy. Some of both groups are farming CoF 1.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: Valektra.9356

Valektra.9356

They don’t forget about them, quite simply you cannot get groups for them.

Mirta.5029

http://www.gw2lfg.com/

getting group even for the most unpopular dungeons is not a problem.

Posted by: TheCelt.1394

TheCelt.1394

This right here. Just like in most other MMOs, there is A LOT to do at all stages of the game, yet, just like in other MMOs, people either:
A.) Play the game way too kitten much; or
B.) Don’t like to do many of the activities available, in which case it’s a mystery as to why they play, or attempt to play MMOs in the first place.

“It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument”. -William G. McAdoo

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

When a games content is centered around dps builds…. it becomes pretty meh for me and most of my friends as well.

Theres a reason people like having roles, gives you more replability and something new to do.

GW2 DPS or gtfo seems like that’s how Anet rolls…. I would consider their combat system and dungeons two steps forward then three steps back. They had the right idea trying to break away from normal mmo’s but failed to implement it in a fun way and failed to add meaningful variety in professions. yes you can go bunker or condition but really its subpar to a full on dps/burst build when the game is centered around NOT taking any hits at all.

That however is my opinion and your welcome to disagree with it or not but lets not have an argument over my opinion, because like a holes we all have one and they all smell like you know what.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I think the best thing about this game is that when a player has found that absolutely nothing holds his or her attention anymore then that person can quietly slip away and come back later without having missed anything that sets them behind. Plus no sub to cancel or reactivate.

Plus, to be more on topic, having come from DDO I find these dungeons not really to my taste. The ones I’ve done anyway. I don’t like to pug and I’m in a tiny guild so I’m probably not ever going to get comfortable with them. I’ve completed Fotm1 though on one character and enjoyed that experience.

If you dont like dungeons, do PvP. If you don’t like either, why are you playing an MMO?

False dichotomy is false. Perhaps I like world exploration and dynamic events? Perhaps I like things that you don’t?

Mate, did you read the whole post? He also mentioned exploration and events.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

(edited by zenleto.6179)

Shuguard.7125

Do you play the game for fun, or to make it your job, just to buy the best stuff to show off?
I run CoE and Arah mostly. With the right team (one that’s prepared to be thought the boss mechanics, or one that knows it), it can be fun.

While it’s not the right mentality, it’s pretty much for clearing up the gold grind for a legendary. Everyone will look at it as the path of least resistance. If it doesn’t look right Anet should definitely change it. Be it nerf cof p1 or buff all the loot to make everything viable.

Mirta.5029

While it’s not the right mentality, it’s pretty much for clearing up the gold grind for a legendary. Everyone will look at it as the path of least resistance. If it doesn’t look right Anet should definitely change it. Be it nerf cof p1 or buff all the loot to make everything viable.

while I do agree with you that it’s the best dungeon to earn money in, my point was that grinding for most would feel not fun, therefore they should go to a dungeon that would be fun for them instead of trying to get a legendary. If you played a hundred hours just to get a legendary and didn’t enjoy the journey you might have been better off getting it in 700 hours, but having fun while getting there.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

I do dungeons all the time myself. Before gold became easy to get, dungeons were my primary source to get exotic gear. I still plan to get exotic sets for half of my toons from dungeons.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Shuguard.7125

while I do agree with you that it’s the best dungeon to earn money in, my point was that grinding for most would feel not fun, therefore they should go to a dungeon that would be fun for them instead of trying to get a legendary. If you played a hundred hours just to get a legendary and didn’t enjoy the journey you might have been better off getting it in 700 hours, but having fun while getting there.

I agree completely i would rather have fun getting there, but honestly i’ve gotten to the point where all that’s left is grind gold for the precursor, but then everyone just says wait for the scavenger hunt, but i’m kinda sick of waiting over 5-6 months for Anet to spend some time on it. So i’m starting to look at the cold reality of it all.

Posted by: Valektra.9356

Valektra.9356

Sure it is, no one wants to alt tab, then wait, then alt tab, then wait, then spam /map, then wait, then alt tab.. this should be built in. It’s not, if it was dungeons wouldn’t get skipped and the OP would be irrelevant.

Mirta.5029

Sure it is, no one wants to alt tab, then wait, then alt tab, then wait, then spam /map, then wait, then alt tab.. this should be built in. It’s not, if it was dungeons wouldn’t get skipped and the OP would be irrelevant.

you have no logic. “A built in LFG feature = no skipping!”

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

It is sad but that is the common mmorpg mentality these times, sames goes for “i don’t want to play in a group” or “i don’t want to be in a guild”. There are so many people here who are obviously playing the complete wrong genre but for some reason they beg and cry until the developer gives up and turns his mmorpg into a solo rpg.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Siebenstein.1376

Siebenstein.1376

I don’t run dungeons in this game because I find dem extremly boring (annoying trash-mobs and uninspired boss-mechanics).

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien, President of Arenanet

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

I like dungeons in this game but they require too much time to complete.

Some of the paths themselves are too long, when you throw the 15 minutes it takes to form the group along with the 15 minutes it takes to do the group event to unlock the dungeon it just becomes an unreasonable amount of time.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

You don’t have to tab, they join your group ingame or whisper you for an invite. Have you even used it?

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

When someone has played a game for 3000+ hours, they are probably going to run out of things to do. Well I’d assume so at least. I haven’t gotten that far in any game. But honestly, if you get 3000 hours of enjoyment for $60, you have no need to complain.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Shuguard.7125

When someone has played a game for 3000+ hours, they are probably going to run out of things to do. Well I’d assume so at least. I haven’t gotten that far in any game. But honestly, if you get 3000 hours of enjoyment for $60, you have no need to complain.

but we want moreeeeeee. Not to mention willing to give more money for more stuff. It’s not just the $60.

laokoko.7403

The problem is most people already done the dungeon. Some multiple times too.

If I already done the dungeon, why would I want do it again? and again? and again everyday?

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

So…

What are you going to do with that loot?

Use it to run CoF?

/facepalm

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Mirta.5029

If I already done the dungeon, why would I want do it again? and again? and again everyday?

if you switch up what you’re doing, then you don’t really mind revisiting content. There can not be infinite dungeons

laokoko.7403

if you switch up what you’re doing, then you don’t really mind revisiting content. There can not be infinite dungeons

No really, the dungeon isn’t challenging. Only challenge is your pug is bad and you wipe over and over again.

Mirta.5029

No really, the dungeon isn’t challenging. Only challenge is your pug is bad and you wipe over and over again.

So, you’re running only CoF then?

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

Tried the dungeons, tried the fractals, and to be honest: without the trinity, I’m just not enjoying them. There, I said it. Yes, I think we (my little guild, all of whom are taking a break from GW2) played as intended: combo’s, offering support, self-healing and re-buffing on the counter. It’s kinda fun, but, to me, far from the great time I’ve had just healing parties and raids in other MMO’s.

IMO the problem with GW2 dungeons is that ANet hasn’t used the ‘all classes are self-sufficient’ system to good effect on trash and boss-fights in dungeons. Instead of challenging us with well-scripted fights most bosses are just tank-‘n’-spank (by yourself) and boil down to longish fights chipping away at a mountain of HP, with the occassional dodge, heal, CC to avoid instadeath for you or somebody else.

I’m sorry to say I grew bored with them very quickly.

I hope new content (we do need an expansion announced IMO…) will improve, and I fully expect it will. But in the meantime, it’s back to 1.21 WoW for me..

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

Posted by: Bearhugger.4326

Bearhugger.4326

Skins could be a good incentive to run dungeons, but rewarding with skins would take a “wardrobe” bank tab and transmutes that don’t cost gems. I also don’t like the dungeon skins, personally. (At least not the heavy ones.)

I prefer playing a tank than a damage dealer, and this game slaps tanks and healers in the face with its no-trinity design. I really tried to like it but in the end it’s not fun for me.

Professions are not really balanced. Guardians, warriors and mesmers tend to be favored over anything else.

Shuguard.7125

So…

What are you going to do with that loot?

Use it to run CoF?

/facepalm

buy whatever i want. Like a precursor or fun stuff or skins. Someone doesn’t get what money is good for.

Posted by: Darkwolf.6291

Darkwolf.6291

Mate, did you read the whole post? He also mentioned exploration and events.

I read the post in its entirety. I was specifically addressing the false dichotomy in the beginning, not its other internal inconsistencies.

laokoko.7403

So, you’re running only CoF then?

Even if there is a challenging dungeon. And you take on the challenge and spend hours to “beat” it and master it. Do you want to do it again with another group which is new?

I am a dungeon crawler. I just think dungeon isn’t desgined very well “in this game”. And it is much easier to design dungeon in other game because every dungeon group have the same class makeup, which is tank healer and some dps. In this specific game it is harder to design challenging content since the group makeup can vary quite a bit.

Not to mention the class balance just isn’t good in this game. In other game it is much easier to balance with the trinity setup because you dont’ need to balance a tank compare to a dps. Since they relly on each other. In a game where there is no trinity every class should have the same tank/dps/healing capability which is obviously not true in this game.

And what I dislike the most is the red circle on the ground. I like it much more in other game where I learn the boss pattern on my own, in this game it is just red circle dodge, move out. I find it less fun.

And to me the most fun thing about dungeon is “the boss”. In this game it is just a bunch of trash, some jumping puzzle and trap and “boss which is not interesting”.

It is just me but I think the lack of trinity, having ability to rez in combat, and over all boss mechanic make me felt like this game is a bit lackster compare to other game.

(edited by laokoko.7403)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m still going through dungeons. Tonight, I tired Arah path 2 for the first time. We beat it, but it took a while. A long while. None of us had ever done that path before though.

I only need two more dungeon paths for my dungeon master title.

My view on the dungeons in this game is that they’re really not for everyone. Most dungeons aren’t hard enough for ultra competitive players and they’re not easy enough for casual players. Me, I’m somewhere in the middle, so they’re fine for me. Not my favorite content, but I do them mostly to help guildies.

In most games, dungeons aren’t my preferred area of play though. I must prefer the open world.

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

I just have to ask the people negative to the dungeons, fractals and boss mechanics one thing.

Are you honestly saying WoW 5-man boss mechanics were any different? They were also huge piles of HP with gimmicky attacks. Not even heroics were hard, same deal, a few new mechanics, still the same braindead encounter. Atleast in GW2 you need to be aware and dodge/block etc.

I was bored to my mind from WoW dungeons and SWToR dungeons when I started with GW2, barely touched dungeons here since I feared it was the same boredom. I was wrong, dungeons were fun, needed a bit more attention and so on. Only boring side was the lack of loot. It’s still lightyears ahead of most other MMOs. Fractals in my mind are amazing, some regular exp dungeons could use a revamp, both dungeons and fractals could use a loot upgrade, thats about it.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

Posted by: Deadcell.9052

Deadcell.9052

I personally found the dungeons in this game to be very boring and more annoying than fun, so I don’t do them anymore. With the exception of Fotm, the boss mechanics in every dungeon are pretty much the same boring scripts, time your dodges appropriately to avoid the stun stun stun one shot dead, or sit there for 20min dps’ing in hopes the boss with a unnecessarily large health pool dies before your dailys reset. In many of the dungeons here the trash mobs are more annoying and tougher than most of the bosses, I just don’t get that lol.

The other issue I have, well its an issue with the game overall is the rng for loot in this game is really really bad, can’t count the amount of times we have carried players through a dungeon path just to watch them dead on the floor most of the run, they don’t even know they have a dodge or heal and at the end chest they get exotics and precursors while we are lucky to get a green. So thats another big reason I found dungeons not to be worth my time, I go in to get the tokens to buy a gear set or runes for one of my characters and never play them again till I need another gear set.

Now I don’t want to come off like dungeons are terrible here in GW2, they have a TON of potential to be great. The overall enviornments of all the dungeons is pretty cool and visually impressive, the stories behind each and everyone is pretty cool also, sadly many of the story modes are more interesting and have more of an epic feel than the explorable paths that follow.One of the things I do like about the dungeons here is that it does not rely on the trinity, if you have enough players on in guild round them up and play!

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Because dungeons aren’t fun.

Are you honestly saying WoW 5-man boss mechanics were any different? They were also huge piles of HP with gimmicky attacks. Not even heroics were hard, same deal, a few new mechanics, still the same braindead encounter. Atleast in GW2 you need to be aware and dodge/block etc.

Don’t play WoW and if the dungeons in it are less fun than the ones in GW2 then I’m glad I never got into it.

Posted by: joric.1042

joric.1042

Dungeons are the most boring thing in a MMO, but thats just how I feel personally about them.

Jorik Nightcloud
Beige(NUDE)
Crystal Desert

Vayne.8563

I think pugging dungeons is horrid, most of the time, but running a dungeon with a guild of like-minded players can be a blast.

Posted by: Wolfey.3407

Wolfey.3407

The way dungeons are set up at the moment is purely anti-newbie and anti-casual player. Removing the ability to warp back to a way point when defeated, has really dampened any effort for newbies to learn the dungeon. The idea of removing it had good intentions on trying to force people to play the dungeons correctly instead of spawn spamming; however, with that being said… you run into parties being more elitist oriented. With the web site LFG, almost every posting I have seen involves one of two criteria: 1) Warrior/Guardian Only. or (2) Gear Check
You also run into an issue of certain dungeons no longer being farmed which hinders any interest some players may have. E.g. I can do 25 Ascalonian Catacomb runs before I find a party willing to try 1 Twilight Arbor. That’s with advertising in chat & on LFG.

Fractals are the same issue as dungeons in terms of warrior/guardians only & gear checks.

There’s just nothing in the dungeon element to really benefit newbies or help them learn the ropes of dungeons when you have a bunch of elitist kitten.

Former PvP Forum Specialist
2015-2016
Fort Aspenwood

Vayne.8563

The way dungeons are set up at the moment is purely anti-newbie and anti-casual player. Removing the ability to warp back to a way point when defeated, has really dampened any effort for newbies to learn the dungeon. The idea of removing it had good intentions on trying to force people to play the dungeons correctly instead of spawn spamming; however, with that being said… you run into parties being more elitist oriented. With the web site LFG, almost every posting I have seen involves one of two criteria: 1) Warrior/Guardian Only. or (2) Gear Check
You also run into an issue of certain dungeons no longer being farmed which hinders any interest some players may have. E.g. I can do 25 Ascalonian Catacomb runs before I find a party willing to try 1 Twilight Arbor. That’s with advertising in chat & on LFG.

Fractals are the same issue as dungeons in terms of warrior/guardians only & gear checks.

There’s just nothing in the dungeon element to really benefit newbies or help them learn the ropes of dungeons when you have a bunch of elitist kitten.

Unless they join a guild with people willing to show them the ropes. I find this behavior far more prevalent in guilds than it is in pugs.

Today my guild ran Arah path 2. It was a really good run. Took us a long time, but w had a blast.

No one in the group had EVER done Arah path 2 before. I’d done 1 and 3 (as had my wife), and none of the other three had ever completed Arah. In fact, one of the group had never been in Arah at all, not even story mode.

There are plenty of good guilds out there with nice people who’ll take the time to show new players the ropes.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I’ve done most dungeons with newbies that haven’t done them before, me, and most of my guildies, are willing to help anyone to get through dungeons. We’ve been in their situation before, nobody is born a “pro” dungeon runner, so those of us who did the paths before, we understand the issues that exist in dungeon design. The best way for anyone to learn a dungeon and have fun with it is joining a guild, pugs will never “teach” anything, but good guilds will.

A good player will go through a dungeon without dropping once, no wipes, and also in record time. A true master will do the same with 4 other total newbies that hadn’t done the path before. Every self-proclaimed elitist can choose which type they belong to.

Mirta.5029

Even if there is a challenging dungeon. And you take on the challenge and spend hours to “beat” it and master it. Do you want to do it again with another group which is new?

Yes. I didn’t get full CoE armor on my asura by just running each path once.
With pugs when people don’t listen it can be frustrating, sometimes the weirdest group make-up works better than you would have imagined, sometimes the dungeon run is an utter fail, but because everyone in the group is talking on the party chat it’s fun, sometimes people don’t read LFGs before joining, sometimes someone thinks to be better than anyone else and utterly fails, sometimes you have to catch some new members mid dungeon… Every single run is completely different, with completely different people, can be frustrating or exciting in completely different ways.

And what I dislike the most is the red circle on the ground. I like it much more in other game where I learn the boss pattern on my own, in this game it is just red circle dodge, move out. I find it less fun.

Some boss mechanics require you not to dodge from the red circles, but rather know exactly where to stand (Alpha), it’s a nightmare when people start dodging there and overlapping his aoe.
Some red circles are very inaccurate (Lupicus), a red circle only marks where a shot will land, however the real area that does damage is bigger.
Some bosses lack more specific mechanics. Example: SE story mode – end boss had a very specific and interesting pattern, in explore besides there being a few bosses that you need to kill at the same time you end up with the same pattern of just dpsing them down.

And to me the most fun thing about dungeon is “the boss”. In this game it is just a bunch of trash, some jumping puzzle and trap and “boss which is not interesting”.

It is just me but I think the lack of trinity, having ability to rez in combat, and over all boss mechanic make me felt like this game is a bit lackster compare to other game.

your opinion. I don’t miss missing the entire boss fight in WoW because I died and now am on the floor not able to do anything. I don’t miss trinity either. I suppose it’s just a difference of taste and preferences.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Dungeons are too easy in this game. Even arah is way too easy.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.