why do you like your class?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

Why do you play the class you do? wWhy do you like it? Do you usually play similar classes in most MMOs or no? Try to go as deep as posible on why you enjoy them.
In my case, I’ve always liked thieves. there’s something about neing agile and fast, going into hiding, and attacking by surprise that I like.I like to be a pain in the kitten too, If I can’t kill them, be sure at least I’ll do my best to annoy them XD Also, back in the days of Ragnarok online, there was a picture with lots of thieves having a party at night in some dark alley, with everyone dancing and drinking, it was part of the charm.
Also I never could get into magic classes, being a gay boy in school, I always remembered that people associated magic with females and physical with guys, to feel more “manly”. I guess some of that must have permeated my thin gay teen skin, and decided to always be a physical class, lol. maybe it makes no sense XD

(edited by coso.9173)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Ranger

I like the theme of the stalker, the hunter, capable with blade…but especially bow. Self sufficient, but a welcome addition, as scout or sniper, to a group needing a marksman’s skills.

Combine all of that with growing up camping, backpacking, horseback riding, mountain biking, and generally learning to love the outdoors.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The Profession I like most in Guild Wars, I don’t play at all in Guild Wars 2. Just leveled it to 80 and now it’s my Home Instance gatherer.

The Profession I barely played in Guild Wars (never even got to L20), is my main and favorite in Guild Wars 2. I have 4 characters with this Profession.

I just like it; could be because it is easy for me.

Another Profession I just hated in Guild Wars, and never even created one, is a Profession I like a lot in Guild Wars 2. I don’t really have reasons; it could be that I don’t die a lot. Lol.

Posted by: Yseron.8613

Yseron.8613

Classes i play now: Warrior, Necromancer, Ranger
Classes i used to play: Engineer (abandonned because i stoped playing it for too long after attempting to explore the grp-heal side of the thing before they boosted it)

Warrior:
- I like the damages output

Necromancer:
- I like to strip boons
- I like to inflict conditions
- I adore to send back conditions and other twisted things
- I like crowd control

Ranger:
- I like the range
- I like the crowd control
- I like the survivability

Classes i liked in GW1:
- Everyone of them for every reason you can imagine and because there were builds, and because you could save builds, and you could have a second profession

(edited by Yseron.8613)

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Why do you play the class you do? wWhy do you like it?

At the moment, I main Reaper. I don’t like my class, but it’s the best one that’s available for me. Reaper allows me to use a slower, clunkier gameplay style than other classes. I always die to twitchy players, so it doesn’t help, but at least this class allows that type of play.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: TehHobNob.4687

TehHobNob.4687

Hey I like this thread OP. I always play thief too in every mmo. I like the style, I think stealth is okay, but my main draw to it is always the mobility. I like feeling like I can be anywhere in an instant to do massive melee damage. I like playing smart and on my toes with a low health pool. I like that everything is fluid and most of our skills are not locking me into long animations. Speaking of animations they are subtle and look superb.

GW2 does something special I really like with thief that many others hate. I absolutely love the initiative system. Playing with this is like playing with an endurance bar in Darksouls, Bloodbourne, and For Honor. The only difference is that thief is faster paced, has other major cool-downs, and has the separate endurance bar for dodging with a more forgiving dodging system. Be that it still takes some effort on the user’s part to get right. The initiative system allows me to manage all my weapon skills on one energy source which can be used quickly, but I always have to be mindful of overuse. My muscle memory just does this on its own over the years but it is still there in the back of my head.

I don’t have thousands of hours on anything but thief, and nor do I plan to. I’m having way to much fun in WVW. So thanks for the thread op. I hope a ton of others jot down their classes too. This is interesting.

Pancakes
Thief

(edited by TehHobNob.4687)

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

oh, agility is really important to me too, I love quick deadly moves, deadly blossom was my favorite when I was D/D.

Posted by: Keegan.4172

Keegan.4172

Necromancer

I like necromancer because they’re practically a powerhouse. Reaper’s Shroud allows you to just tear through your opponents and it’s so satisfying.

(80s) Chronomancer, Reaper, Tempest, Druid, Berserker, Daredevil, Revenant.
(Below 80) Guardian, Engineer.

Posted by: alairus.4521

alairus.4521

Warrior

I’ve always liked the “knight” class in games, I like that Nobility for honor type of thing. The warrior has great burst DPS and great sustain. I like the magic classes too but they don’t survive as long. I’m also a Melee player and I like the warrior “in your face style of fighting” and mobility.

Posted by: Saurrec.6402

Saurrec.6402

I main warrior/necromancer/mesmer.

Warrior because it is great for damage and sustain. (When I need that thing dead RIGHT THIS SECOND.)

Necromancer for all the conditions, minions and deathshroud. ( My Many Minions Maimed My Mortal Foes.)

Mesmer for the pink butterflies and being a pain in the rear in PvP. (Your capture points are a liability and do not travel alone.)

I don’t do any other mmos but in my years playing D&D I usually was the warrior or sometimes a practical caster type.

A physical disability hasn’t stopped me from being a Polite, Helpful, & Badkitten player.

Posted by: GWMO.4785

GWMO.4785

-Mesmer
Shortly put i love everything about this. So unique too! The versatility is literately ground braking. Mostly accepted for its quickness and alacrity uptime. But the class brings so much more ofc. Reflects, condi cleanse, portal, blink distortion, cc and more. I love utilizing all of it.

-Guardian
To me this class feels much similair to mesmer. Same kind of support except it is less good at it and instead it does more damage. So this kinda like my mesmer for openworld pve ..if that makes sense. I just wished guardian had an 25% speed skill or trait, so i could swap out my traveler runes for something more useful (Anet plz!)

-Thief
Mostly cause i like assassin style gameplay in general. So naturally thief suites my liking. Love the d/d weapon combo most.

-Warrior
Becouse warrior, i mean common who doesnt like it?! Heavy damage dealing, high sustaining might bott. Farting might with every step it takes, cause why not. However, the class is pretty straight forward and easy to play, so i do get bored of it pretty quickly. Oh and i also like the dual axe playstyle most. Not neccasarily cause of the skills, but i just love the dual axe wielding. Makes the character look cool

(edited by GWMO.4785)

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Why do you play the class you do? Why do you like it? Do you usually play similar classes in most MMOs or no?

My main is a Knight-Cavalier Necromancer. I like Necro because it has Shroud instead of active defenses (like blocks) and I find it more comfortable to play because I’m ridiculously bad at timing blocks and dodges, lol. Thanks to my defensive gear and unique build, my Necro is invincible. In MMORPGs I always pick characters with the best survivability (tanks and healers) because I hate being defeated. Necro is perfect for me!

My second main is a Celestial Engineer because it’s versatile, fun to play and has great survivability as well. I never follow the meta in MMOs, I want to play what I enjoy, not what other people enjoy.

Posted by: revox.8273

revox.8273

i allways loved heavy armor classes for reliability, high damage and survivability
tried all classes but nothing makes me feel alive as warrior does
i main warrior for over 4 years, even tho in gw2 warr has amazing buff potency (interesting if u ask me) it still deals high bursts and has some kind of violent play style, just head on and arc divide/decapitate all foes. little planning needed.
i like being in the middle of the zerg stearing death in the eye, i am the ultimate frontliner, blood starts boyling and 3..2..1…im on fire!
also i love dual axes and greatswords wich look awesome and demand respect

from what i notice at my friends that play with me, every1 plays a class that reflects theyr personality somehow ^^
guess im a little volcanic and just go berserk)

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Mesmer…

Because it was such a unique thing in a video game back in gw1, and it was the last one to be revealed for gw2 and had a lot of hype and speculation leading up to the reveal. There have been times I’ve been pretty disappointed with the lacking strength (dps) of the gw2 mesmer compared to other classes, but I stick to it because I love the theme.

• Pure arcane/chaos mage
  • Mind tricks and telepathy
  • Mysterious
  • Manipulate the fabric of space and time

I’m holding out in hopes that one day mesmer will have a cool elite spec that puts their dps on par with elementalist (or at least in the top 4 dps classes…)

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I prefer mobility, damage and greatsword (it could be standard long sword but weird by both hands). If thief can use greatsword or use 1hand sword with both hands, that will be my class but sadly both are negative here. So the closest class is warrior and that is my main.

I usually die trying to create the above personal preference to all mmo, the closest game was rune of magic, with a warrior + rogue type character with a greatsword. Too bad besides the slightly higher than average damage compare to all classes, it is a trash tier in everything.

I am glad we have Berserker and this is exactly what i want.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

In most MMOS I go for a Wizard type and sometimes a Ranger.

Here I have all classes and am good enough with all but my main has and will always be Engi. Why? Because no other MMO I have ever played gives you a flamethrower!

Back in the day during one of the Beta weekends when I first tried out some gw2 I jumped on Engi to see what it was about, saw flamethrower and said “this is for me, that’s my main whenever we can play!”

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: Holesale.2640

Holesale.2640

At launch i rolled Warrior My first character in Gw1 was a warrior and I loved it so I thought id do the same here fast forward 2 weeks into the games life i was bored and growing tired of how we couldn’t swap around abilities like gw1 skill system.

I rolled an Engineer instantly loved how many skills and subtle nuances it had with those skills meaning there was not a definitive way to approach all situations.

and in return I got almost 4 years of Minor buffs then heavy handed nerfs afterwards and being told straight up “we don’t know what to do with this profession” that I’ve invested nearly 6k hours in and a Hammer.

I still love the profession, always will.

Posted by: Alec B.8905

Alec B.8905

ENGI

Very diverse and fun to play overall and love the mechanic it has compared to all the other classes.
IT HAS FREAKING RIFLE!
so many kits to choose from.
can be almost anything.
but sadly it has no place in guildwars anywhere except point holder in pvp.

hopefully this patch will give us the buffs we need.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

In other games rpgs I tend to play the stealthy ranged type, and go all silent sniper style, opening the path one unsuspecting victim at a time.

In fight games I’m always going to choose the weirdest and/or more complex character to play: from Lei Wulong to Arakune, and Voldo too.

In GW2 the system is soo clear and precise, so complex in the way of mixing just a few well thought inputs, that It is like a combination of rpg and my beloved fighting games.

So I can play thief, mesmer and necro as much as I want, but in the end my main will always be the more complex and weird (And FUN) underdog of all the professions: Engie is just the best.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

ENGI

Very diverse and fun to play overall and love the mechanic it has compared to all the other classes.
IT HAS FREAKING RIFLE!
so many kits to choose from.
can be almost anything.
but sadly it has no place in guildwars anywhere except point holder in pvp.

hopefully this patch will give us the buffs we need.

Yeah Engi is awesome but sadly….

Warrior has better rifle skills (with a trait 100% Crit for F1 for something like 8-13k damage).

Thief has better pistol skills (matrix style rapid fire where every hit heals you – come on that should be Engi!)

But still, awesomeness no matter what!

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Ithilwen.1529

Ithilwen.1529

Mesmer.

I liked Illusionist in D&D too. there’s something compelling about the mental magic style. I also like the entertainer/Nobility vibe that goes along with the class.

Thief

What can I say? I love being a Ninja.

Mesmerising Girl

Posted by: Rashagar.8349

Rashagar.8349

No matter what game I’m in, the characters that I never get bored of are the ones that are somehow related to the themes of nature or death.

So the characters I split most of my time between in this game are my necromancer, my ranger and now my revenant. I love how the ranger can easily be the loner survivalist type or the mystic, or anywhere in between, and isn’t just a “ranged weapon person”. I love how the necromancer feels to play (what’s funny is I chose to play him as a chill – based power specced Norn devotee of Raven since launch haha! It’s like they made the reaper spec specifically with my character in mind!). And revenant’s theme is just perfect, it was the only way I could have been interested in playing a human in this game and now I love her.

The other character I’ve spent most time on is my warrior. In the original guild wars the only way I could be interested in warrior was by making her part necromancer. Now my warrior is themed around a nightmare courtier sylvari to keep her interesting, and I really enjoy her.

Posted by: NumenorLord.6539

NumenorLord.6539

PVE

Necro: Because of Epidemic. And most of all Epi bounce with other 4 Necros while running t4 fotm

Warrior: Because PS (power and condi) are always needed in raids. Also because I can equip 2 of my legendaries while playing condi PS (Bolt and Rodgort).

Ranger: Because sometimes nobody wants to play healer in raids and you’ll have to.

Guardian: Because it is my main, my gatherer and the one I run LS with. I wish this class was buffed and became what it once was.

PVP

Warrior: Because I love to hear people complain and getting hate salty messages from the kitten.

Posted by: Knuckle Joe.7408

Knuckle Joe.7408

I like flashy stuff, so ele. Plus it’s the only class that actually makes me feel powerful. No other class gave me the satisfaction of dropping a meteor shower+ice bow 4, or glyph of storms+overload air.

DO FAST HANDS BASELINE

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Necromancer at 3.6k hours and Ranger at 3.3k.

I’m a ranged player at heart. In any game with sniper rifles or bows, that’ll be what I use. Even in the Soul series (Demon’s Souls, Dark Souls, etc) I would do full runs with only bows. And those are games that aren’t effectively designed around ranged combat.

I like to depend on my own potential and no one elses and ranged classes often do that well. Observing the situation from afar and assessing how to proceed. Learning enemy weaknesses by baiting attacks and striking with force when it’s ideal.

In Guild Wars 2, the ranged class was an obvious choice for me but I stuck with it because of it’s grace. Ranger is the only class that has a real finesse to it and I enjoy the smoothness of built in evades, leaps and other mobility. Beyond that, I also love my pets, despite much of the hate they get. Both in game and IRL, I’m a very solitary person. I can be chatty, but I value my space and I often only have animals to keep me company. In GW2, my pets are my trusty companions. They don’t always behave exactly as I’d like them to but they’ve literally save my life more times than I can count. Can’t tell you how satisfying it is when someone in PvP/WvW is about to stomp me and my pet finishes them off or stops them long enough for someone to help.

As for Necromancer, I’m a die hard horror and death metal fanatic, I love dark fantasy and, well… I can an intense person, I suppose, lol. The dark caster is often my secondary choice but in GW2, for some reason I began playing it before Ranger and even stuck with it for longer. It doesn’t feel as scary or intimidating as I’d like it to but over the years I’ve become very attached to GW2’s interpretation of the Necromancer.

I love vanilla Death Shroud a lot more so than Reaper Shroud, which is something not a lot of people will say. Dark Path, Shroud skill #2, is just a very satisfying skill to land for me and I prefer most of the other skills as well.

I also love to debuff people because I’m evil and get a rise out of turning defences in to threats, lol. Corrupt Boon has been one of my favorite utility skills in the game for a very long time and I was screaming like a school girl when they buffed it. Besides that, I also just enjoy being obnoxiously difficult to kill despite not having blocks, stealth, mobility or amazing healing sustain. Proper Shroud and Life Force management is all it really takes and it’s hilariously fun sometimes to watch people get frustrated that when one health bar gets low the other is full.

Pictures of them attached below

Attachments:

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

(edited by SpellOfIniquity.1780)

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

while I play all classes, my favourite has to be engi, by far.

why? well, originally it was because the class as a whole reminded me of Data from Goonies (still does), and entering the Fawcett’s Bounty jumping puzzle with one gave me a huge sense of nostalgia.

of course, that isn’t the only reason. I like how engi plays. the explosions, the something for every situation aspect of it, and just the fun of running around with a flamethrower. it doesn’t matter if it’s never ‘meta’, I’ll still have fun playing it.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: Cygnus.6903

Cygnus.6903

Used to be warrior, now it’s thief.

Just like the glassy playstyle. Thief is really hit or miss, you react quickly or you get kitten on.

Warrior used to be very tactical, baiting out defenses before unleashing adrenaline, but it’s spam heavy playstyle turned me away from it to the point I never really play it at all anymore. Even play thief in PvE, whevener I feel like that.

In other games, I usually play the magical classes.

I only state my opinion unless stated otherwise.
Hulk Roaming Montages/Build Vids
I always rage but never quit.

Posted by: AkantorCZ.8952

AkantorCZ.8952

I like nature, animals, plants and all that stuff so I chose ranger for its theme. I especially like melee/warhorn skill effects so I decided to build around it. Gameplay wise it’s a lot about dodges and right timing. I am really enjoying this play style however compare to other classes I can not seem to find satisfying synergy… one more trait line would be nice. Only thing I don’t like about ranger is elite specialization which basicaly only privides extra healing for cost of sacrificing usefull trait line.

I also have Mesmer, Engineer and Revenant. All classes are fun and unique in its own way.

(edited by AkantorCZ.8952)