why do you people bother with mega bosses?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: eXs.6210

eXs.6210

They are seriously a waste of time… you get one rare which you’re lucky to get 20 silver for and a bunch of other useless things that if sold will maybe total up to 25 silver…and you guys seriously spend hours waiting for these bosses to spawn…

Why do you do that?It’s so inefficient…

Doing ONE CoF run takes 6 minutes (8 if you’re on a bad pug team) and even conservatively gives you 80 silver per run…in six minutes you can make 3+ times more gold (and get tokens too) than you do waiting for hours for mega bosses…

You might say though… “but I don’t wait for hours, I just go when my guild tells me that the bosses are up”… ok, but even at that rate the best estimate to kill a mega boss would be 2 minutes per boss… add in the time to run there from waypoint, pick up your loot in the end, it probably takes 3 minutes minimum per boss, which at 25 silver per boss still only makes you 50 silver in those 6 minutes that it takes to run CoF… it probably takes a minimum of 3 silver to travel to each mega boss, so your total is a whopping 44 silver vs 80 in CoF… and on top of it all you can now only do the event once a day…while you can farm CoF till your hands fall off…

In fact… in 20 minutes of running CoF (3 runs conservatively) you can make more gold than if you did all of those mega bosses combined for the whole day…

Stop getting upset over these events, they are useless in the first place… no point getting your blood pressure up worrying about these nerfs to mega bosses… do what’s efficient… if you’ve never run CoF, it’s seriously the easiest thing ever to do… compete joke of a dungeon… you have no excuse to not try it… do 3 runs a day, get all your gold, then go enjoy the parts of the game that are actually fun instead of waiting in the swamp for hours…

Posted by: Garb Cost.3718

Garb Cost.3718

I can’t enjoy a game unless someone is telling me how to do so. Thank the lord for this post.

Posted by: Kuldred.2436

Kuldred.2436

You are assuming people do these strictly for the silver value. If that were the case, then you may have an arguement. Try to open your mind a bit more, there are actually other reasons to do these.

Yak’s Bend

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Not everyone wants to run COF endlessly all day/night long. Not everyone is just farming for gold.

If I wanted to do nothing but get gold fast.. COF is probably without a doubt the fastest and easiest way to do that.

eXs.6210

What I’m saying is that it frees you up to do what you enjoy… everyone does these events for a reward… I highly doubt anyone enjoys hanging out in a swamp… if waiting in a swamp is your idea of fun, please be my guest… I’m just trying to help people understand that there are more efficient ways to get the same rewards so instead of waiting they could spend that time on whatever else they enjoy doing… even if it is waiting in a swamp…

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

A lot of people do it because they want rares that drop from a specific boss.

Or just for some variety. I know some people who will do dungeon runs in between bosses because they want to farm but get bored doing the same things all the time.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Mad Rasputin.7809

Well, I don’t understand standing around for 30-45 minutes doing nothing either. But I do enjoy popping in for the world events. If I arrive for the pre events, I enjoy doing those. If the pre events aren’t up, I’ll try another world event. If I’m waiting on an event to pop, I’ll just go farm somewhere on that map for a while. Stuff I would be doing anyways.

eXs.6210

Ok maybe I am missing the point… I’ve done my fair share of these events… I never get anything useful from them… most times I get a rare and a couple of greens… once I got 3 rares and once 2… all the other times it’s just 1… can you guys please enlighten me why else anyone would want to run these besides the monetary reward?

Posted by: MrInfinit.1864

MrInfinit.1864

I do the events because they’re fun. I enjoy doing them. I’ll do them more than once on my only 80 if I’m in an area that has one about to start. You DO realize some people actually do things for fun not just for the reward, right? I enjoy the wait when their window is open. Chat is lively, there are dance parties / costume brawls, just tons of people chilling with some very fun or funny conversations. All of that is a blast, imo! The social aspect of these events is what really draws me in. That guaranteed rare/exotic?… It’s just an added bonus. I don’t get any of that in a COF run.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Your estimate on silver value is a little off.

You have 1 guaranteed rare, but a high possibility for more. Also, salvage them and you get 1 sigil/rune (2-5s), 0-3 ectos (0-90s) and maybe another s for the other mats. That gives at minimum 2s, and maximum 2.9 gold for the rares alone. There are also chances for exotics.

Also, I will do mega boss or COF or any other PvE content my guild wants to do. I don’t really like to PUG, so I will do what I can solo and join guild for other things. Sometimes finding a group for dungeons is not so easy.

Mad Rasputin.7809

You are asking why someone would want to run these events if not for the monetary reward, but you are also saying COF is a much easier place to gain that monetary reward!

Let’s face it, too much of either one is boring. Doing the same dragon 100 times is boring. Doing COF 100 times is boring.

Main reason a lot of people do it is for variety/rewards. I like to do different things but still get a little reward for my time.

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

A dungeon run has you interacting with 4 other people. An open world boss involves you interacting with scores of people.

Even while you’re waiting for a boss there is chat going on, costume brawls breaking out, people running around killing the mobs in the area etcetc.

In other words, you get a sense you are interacting with the community of the server (and guesting leeches) with an open world boss that you do not get running a dungeon like a robot.

This would be the time to bring up the old argument about what the first two Ms stand for in MMORPG.

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

(edited by DoctorOverlord.8620)

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

Oh yeah there’s money in this game.

I keep on forgetting that’s the real reason why I should play.
Who needs a silly thing like enjoying my experience and such?

I play the megabosses because either it is an achievement I haven’t won yet, the chats with people are fun, or I just enjoy whomping on the big critters.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

Because they’re fun?
I don’t farm them, but if I explore a zone on a character, and pass through the area of a mega boss, I wanna see and kill it.

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

because you can get specific unique skin/item from mega bosses … You can get Zaitan reach from TEQ , Final rest from Behemoth … i received myself Emberglow from fire elemental… and also a possible precursor drop .. this is the reason.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The casual majority isn’t going to speed run dungeons and may not even run dungeons at all. Some people play solo or with just a couple friends. Farming dragon events yields the best open world rewards. If playing the game normally would offer similar rewards, these events wouldn’t be such hotspots.

The dragons are effortless. You can be 99% AFK the entire time and still get your rewards. People farming these don’t have to be actually playing the game. Simply run the game in a small window or on another computer and do something else.

Speed running a dungeon over and over gets boring quick, especially when you’re just doing it for the gold. I’d rather bot the TP.

Also, if you have multiple characters and guest, you can easily do the events almost back to back at roughly 1 event every 10 minutes. It was easier pre-patch when Maw was at a shorter cooldown, since it could always be done as filler.

(edited by Healix.5819)

Posted by: Snow White.9680

Snow White.9680

Because not everyone is a warrior / mesmer. :P

Also, killing dragons is really fun…while farming cof all day is not.

Posted by: Tuck.4095

Tuck.4095

To get into most of the decent speed run groups you need a mesmer or a warrior, which not everyone has

Edit: curse you snow! Beat me too it

Snow White.9680

;D

I’m a quick one

Atlas.9704

I guess you do get skills with all that speed running the forums. How much silver did you earn Snow?

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Tuck.4095

I would’ve won…if I didn’t freaking posted it in the dungeon griefing topic :P. I need to wake up..

Snow White.9680

Lol <3

Enough, enough.

Tuck.4095

Serious though..my comment is so out of place there. :/

Snow White.9680

I’m surprised no one said it before me !!

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

They are seriously a waste of time… you get one rare which you’re lucky to get 20 silver for and a bunch of other useless things that if sold will maybe total up to 25 silver…and you guys seriously spend hours waiting for these bosses to spawn…

Why do you do that?It’s so inefficient…

Doing ONE CoF run takes 6 minutes (8 if you’re on a bad pug team) and even conservatively gives you 80 silver per run…in six minutes you can make 3+ times more gold (and get tokens too) than you do waiting for hours for mega bosses…

You might say though… “but I don’t wait for hours, I just go when my guild tells me that the bosses are up”… ok, but even at that rate the best estimate to kill a mega boss would be 2 minutes per boss… add in the time to run there from waypoint, pick up your loot in the end, it probably takes 3 minutes minimum per boss, which at 25 silver per boss still only makes you 50 silver in those 6 minutes that it takes to run CoF… it probably takes a minimum of 3 silver to travel to each mega boss, so your total is a whopping 44 silver vs 80 in CoF… and on top of it all you can now only do the event once a day…while you can farm CoF till your hands fall off…

In fact… in 20 minutes of running CoF (3 runs conservatively) you can make more gold than if you did all of those mega bosses combined for the whole day…

Stop getting upset over these events, they are useless in the first place… no point getting your blood pressure up worrying about these nerfs to mega bosses… do what’s efficient… if you’ve never run CoF, it’s seriously the easiest thing ever to do… compete joke of a dungeon… you have no excuse to not try it… do 3 runs a day, get all your gold, then go enjoy the parts of the game that are actually fun instead of waiting in the swamp for hours…

Why?

Well, time is money, I agree and if we were strictly talking about the value of money being in the net quantitative sum, then yes, CoF is more cost effective…

…but flexibility in time is valuable too. If you are farming mega bosses, you can park a character, make a sandwich, watch something on Netflix, whatever and then spend a minute or two killing a boss when it pops.

If you are in CoF, then you’re pretty much locked into concentrating on the game without AFK for the full duration of a run if not several runs since frequent afks, even between runs are frowned upon in groups.

Tuck.4095

I was saying it…but on the wrong topic.

Back to the subject though I doubt you can do this very fast with a diverse group.. 10 minutes is my quickest time and there is no way in hell I can help it go faster being an ele

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

because you can get specific unique skin/item from mega bosses … You can get Zaitan reach from TEQ , Final rest from Behemoth … i received myself Emberglow from fire elemental… and also a possible precursor drop .. this is the reason.

This. Also because they are different.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Rakuren Kenshou.7689

Rakuren Kenshou.7689

My guild announces when each boss is active.

Since it costs at most 4 silver to go there, I always go (once a day each) since I’m guaranteed at least 30 silver in loot, then I go back to whatever I was doing. 5 minutes or less time spent for 30 silver seems good.

I don’t care what they do to the bosses though. I just adjust to whatever change they make. Life is too short for drama.

“I reject your reality and substitute my own.”

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Because I live to slay internet dragons. rawr

Snow White.9680

wtb dragon slayer title

Snow White.9680

Aisling Dreamphase
The Dragon Slayer

mmmmmm

Posted by: Panda Shepard.1248

Panda Shepard.1248

I do them because they’re fun. I love doing the massive battles with all the other players. Hanging out with the people before hand is a lot of fun and that’s how I met most of my friends here. I just wish the fights were longer and required a bit more strategy. My favorite big events are the temples in Orr and I wish the dragons needed at least the bit of planning needed for some of those.

I’ve never gotten anything all that great in terms of loot from these things. I just really love the group activities.

Posted by: vince.5937

vince.5937

Whaddya mean by ‘you people’?

vince.5937 — Tarnished Coast — Les Saintes
R.I.P. City of Heroes, 2004-2012
Long Live Atlas Park 33

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

<——-Saving Tyria, one dragon at a time.

Rally to me Ascalonians!

Posted by: Belmont.4682

Belmont.4682

Aisling Dreamphase
The Dragon Slayer

mmmmmm

Karyuu No Houkou!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Because the odds on getting a rare as an open world drop are vanishingly small if you don’t follow the narrow path to increased chances?

Atlas.9704

I just wish the fights were longer and required a bit more strategy. My favorite big events are the temples in Orr and I wish the dragons needed at least the bit of planning needed for some of those.

I’ve never gotten anything all that great in terms of loot from these things. I just really love the group activities.

Well to be fair some of the big bosses live in relatively decent areas. Take Behemoth for example, yeah its a swamp but it is liveable.

I can imagine the poor thing psyching itself up, readying his plans for conquest, even mixing up the timer to confuse the players. Then on its debut, “Oh fudgesticks they’re still here!” and he dies in a matter of minutes.

Now take Orr for example on the other side of the coin. It is creepy, it is strange, and I be the property values are….underwater (yyeeaahhhh). I doubt many people would want to live there, heck I bet even some of the Risen think “This place sucks I’m moving to Kryta, there’s better weather.” They have the time to plan, plot, and create fulfilling events that require multiple strategic movements to even scratch out a victory.

So either I’m thinking way too much into this or we should just plan to build a suburb in Orr that way we can screw up their plans.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

You only get 20 silvers for you rares ? That’s weird, most rares I sell are around 30-45 silvers.
Then you might have more than 1 rare. Or an exotic.

But the real reason people bother with them (or at least why my guildies and me do) is because you have a chance of getting a pre-cursor (which some of us got).

And while I could do CoF, I’m too lazy to find a group, hope for the gate to be opened and hope for the team to be able to do it without too much problems.

And I only bother with those events if I’m not actively playing or when the boss will be up in the next 5 minutes (I almost always have to timer opened).

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

While I wouldn’t approach this from the view that the playstyle is incorrect, I have wondered about the allure of the world bosses. The fights themselves are not particularly interesting, they involve travel cost and time, and they inevitably involve downtime. I suppose if you are spending this time with guildies it can be a social time.

The only precursor that has dropped for me was from a random mob in CS (Venom sadly), but if it were true that precursors dropped at a much higher rate than elsewhere, perhaps this would be a motivator for some. The guaranteed rare is definitely not the key as I can get more of those and more coin from farming CS than I can from the bosses. To each his own, but as mentioned, I have wondered about the allure, especially with all the uproar around guesting.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Because world bosses are fun and dungeons are not, it’s pretty simple really. Just look at res mechanics…if I die facing a world boss, I can res at a waypoint and hopefully avoid what killed me before, or at least figure out what killed me. In a dungeon I have to lay there, not helping my team, until they finish the battle or waste their time ressing me. That’s not fun. The loot is just icing on the cake, IMHO.

Also I’ve run CoF once and it took like an hour and a half, most of that time I spent dead because I’d never played it before and couldn’t res myself to figure out how I got killed. I think I made 50s and a charged lodestone(which is nice, gotta admit)…still less fun and lucrative than just wandering around for an hour and then waiting a half hour to kill Teq.

Posted by: joric.1042

joric.1042

Because I personally enjoy doing them, when I tire of them I’ll do something else.

Jorik Nightcloud
Beige(NUDE)
Crystal Desert

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

This is not a job for me, so “inefficiency” has little bearing on how I play the game. I want to have fun role-playing my different heroes, and I actually like to do the events for their own sake-the rewards, precursor chance, and rares are just the icing on the cake for me. Sure, I do want to save time for my own enjoyment, but if something takes more time while I still get to have fun, then the fun makes up for all supposed “flaws” of the event.

CoF “efficiency” runs are OK, and I do them rarely, but it’s not my thing. I don’t play this game for the rewards/getting gold alone-if you do, it’s fine, but it’s all personal preference, and I couldn’t be bothered to do something “efficiently” if it’s monotonous/a chore (even during my T6 farming ventures, I do them in short bursts, stopping as soon as I get bored, which is usually 30-60 minutes.)

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

@OP: Your motivation for playing seems to be exclusively based on drops, gear, and money. Which is fine. Play how you want to play. But I don’t care as much about those things as I do just having fun, being sociable, and experiencing some variety. To each his/her own.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Faereilos.5106

Faereilos.5106

Fighting dragons is more fun than being stuck in an instance with four strangers you may or may not like for an hour. There’s more to the game than farming CoF 24/7 (well you can farm world events but most of us are there to socialize).

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

I can’t enjoy a game unless someone is telling me how to do so. Thank the lord for this post.

Post of the day. You win one internets.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

Nobody waits for them, there is a timer website.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Vargs.6234

Vargs.6234

Dragons are something I can do without organizing a bunch of people or even without actively playing the game. I can be doing other, non-GW2 stuff and just waypoint over to autoattack when a dragon pops.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

You only get 20 silvers for you rares ? That’s weird, most rares I sell are around 30-45 silvers.

The buy price for many rares has recently been down around 20-22s. Then there’s the 15%. To make 20 silver you have to sell for 23. The sell prices I’ve seen in the last two days, on the other hand, have been anywhere from 23 to 35s. The poster you’re referring to is perhaps selling at the buy price rather than listing at the sell price. Overall, though, the prices seem to be tending up a bit since the patch.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

3×80s already, I play this game now for the social factor. Sometimes the waiting can be fun :p

Posted by: DeadlySynz.3471

DeadlySynz.3471

For people like me I hate doing dungeons. I also seem to get lucky when salvaging rares. I almost always get 2 ectos per rare