why i am so unlucky ingame?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: titje.2745

titje.2745

i just bought a new chest for 250 gems all my gold gone i hoped for something nice but i got a green skin worth 1 gold.
WHY ANET i am so unlucky? what do i have do wrong?
everything i do ingame fails i cant make more then 100 gold.
rich ppl keep rich becouse they now can buy the new minis and sell them later for more.
its frustrating. i got tips from a guildy how to make gold but that was long ago, nothing works anymore then farming.
i want to play this game but i also want to buy nice items but with no gold no items for me. yes i got 2 fresh water pearls in 1 minute gathering but rng on low price items i need more.
i bought 1 chest for 73 gold and rich ppl who pay 1k gems get 5 chests…
pls make something for easy money exept real life cash.
srry if i make a new topic but i dont understand this rng i need gold

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

“i dont understand this rng i need gold”

Do you farm? If you have a route that hits mid level and up nodes and do this consistently you’ll get a decent gold income, especially if you spend the time to convert raw mats to planks and ingots.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

Make yourself familiar with how to acquire things. There are good and efficient ways to get stuff, and there are wrong ways. For example, buying black lion keys for gold→gems while in need for gold is a complete waste, because you need huge quantities of chests to open to get something rare.
If you play a lottery, make yourself familiar on how often you must do these, how much money you must sink into these to get something valuable back. You will always find that the return is less than what you spent. So don’t play lotteries. Ever. The black lion chests are lotteries.

The keys/chests are made for people to buy gems for real money and waste them on the keys. Not for spending your precious gold. They are made to siphon people and make them spending hundredths or even thousands of dollars/euro on this lottery. No sane human with a sense of what money or gold is worth is buying these.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

i just bought a new chest for 250 gems all my gold gone i hoped for something nice but i got a green skin worth 1 gold.
WHY ANET i am so unlucky? what do i have do wrong?
everything i do ingame fails i cant make more then 100 gold.
rich ppl keep rich becouse they now can buy the new minis and sell them later for more.
its frustrating. i got tips from a guildy how to make gold but that was long ago, nothing works anymore then farming.
i want to play this game but i also want to buy nice items but with no gold no items for me. yes i got 2 fresh water pearls in 1 minute gathering but rng on low price items i need more.
i bought 1 chest for 73 gold and rich ppl who pay 1k gems get 5 chests…
pls make something for easy money exept real life cash.
srry if i make a new topic but i dont understand this rng i need gold

It sounds like the reason you don’t have gold is because you spend it on gambling (RNG). Gambling in-game isn’t any different than IRL: you can spend all your money on gambling but if you lose (as the odds say you probably will), then you have no money.

I used to occasionally purchase keys to open BL chests, but a wonderful post showed me that I was better off saving my cash and buying things I actually want on the TP.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: titje.2745

titje.2745

thanks, i didnt know its made for real cash → gems → chest.
i need a bank for saving gold so i can send some gold to it like irl bank
so i cant touch it. i made guild but then i need members for get favor or something to buy a bank its bad.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

With very few exceptions people who are rich in game don’t make gold by getting random lucky drops. Generally they farm the gold directly or farm and sell items which aren’t worth a lot on their own but sell well – like crafting materials.

They might also make and sell more expensive items like precursors, legendaries and other rare skins, but they’ll usually get them by reliable methods.

It does also involve saving up your gold, which requires the self control to not spend it. That’s why I rarely have much gold, I only save it until I’ve got enough for the next thing I want to buy, then I buy that thing. I usually have less than 50g, but I have had over 800g at once, when I wanted to buy something really expensive.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

thanks, i didnt know its made for real cash -> gems -> chest.
so i cant touch it. i made guild but then i need members for get favor or something to buy a bank its bad.

What you can do to set gold aside is to put buy orders in for high priced items that are well below the price the item will sell.

For example, I make buy orders for Eternity. I’ll make a daily buy order for it for the gold I make above a base line amount that I keep in hand. And it sits there until I take it down. No chance it will fill since it’s only a few gold and there are no fees when you make buy orders.

The nice thing about putting your gold aside using buy orders is you can do it anywhere in game. You don’t need to go to your guild bank. Just open the trading post and make a buy order at any time for your chosen item even if it’s only one gold. You can always take them down and combine the gold and put it back up later.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Buy orders as a “Christmas/Holiday/Vacation Club Account” for high value items on the TP. Works for me. You just need the discipline to add to it and not raid it.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

thanks, i didnt know its made for real cash -> gems -> chest.

Whether you purchase gems with in-game gold or with RL money, spending your gems on gambling may sound fun (I might get a cool thing!) but gambling is always weighed so that you are more likely to get something small that you didn’t want (as you did). People are sometimes fooled into thinking that in-game gambling gets you good stuff because they see players, in-game or in a video, getting something nice. But people are more likely to brag about the cool thing they got so you don’t hear about all the failures.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: demitel.1340

demitel.1340

You bought one chest and you thought that you could get something valuable?

No, RNG does not work that way. You need countless of tries to get something. Yeah, some lucky peeps might get expensive stuff in few tries, but gambling is like playing russian roulette.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

You weren’t “unlucky” — the results of opening a single chest were entirely predictable.

If you buy gems with real world money, then stop buying RNG chests and convert to gold instead. Similarly, stop converting gold to gems to spend on RNG chests. In fact, generally stop spending on everything and figure out what you really need (which turns out to be: not as much as most people think).

Then you can figure out what you really want and budget your spending accordingly.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You used up your luck when you got the Infusion last Wintersday. ; )

Or, you anger the RNG Gods when you make a thread each time you open a Black Lion Chest and lament your luck. =P

On a more serious note, better luck next time. =)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

RNG chests are always a bad deal. Yes everyone seems to know a friend of a friend who got something amazing on their first try, but that’s because those stories are very unusual and therefore worth telling. All the thousands of people who had 10 tries and got nothing good don’t get talked about as much.

These chests have a very small drop table compared to the black lion chests, but even then you’re unlikely to get anything valuable. In fact that’s partially because of the small drop table because it means the skins are all quite common and therefore not worth much. And the mini pets are extremely rare.

When they were first released in November 2012 I bought 10 for 1800 gems (all the gems I had). I only wanted the 3 mini pets and at the time you could make more chests by combining the crafting materials and armour skins in the Mystic Forge so any of those I got went into making new chests and any weapons skins I got were sold to buy more armour skins or materials.

I kept going until I had no chests, no skins and not enough gold to buy more. And at the end of it I had 1 mini karka, which at the time was worth 20g. (I can’t remember the currency conversion rates, and I’d converted gold gradually over time, but I remember thinking I broke even…although I don’t know if that included the gold I’d spent on materials.)

I don’t regret doing it, although I was disappointed I didn’t get the other minis, but it definitely wasn’t a way to make money. It probably wasn’t even a good way to get the mini because I could have spent that time farming and bought it instead of spending all the money I’d saved up to that point. If I’d done that I might even have been able to buy both the other minis during the event, as it was I got the baby karka on the Sunday and the reef drake months later because the price kept going up and I couldn’t make gold fast enough to match it.

I still have the mini karka BTW. Even when it was worth thousands of gold I was never tempted to sell it. It was the first mini I added to my wardrobe when they brought that feature in and still one of my favourites. (Although I think the racing moa wins the top spot for it’s silly helmet.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Half the people in the game have below average luck.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Half the people in the game have below average luck.

Add to that that “average” luck means it takes a lot of “rolls” on the RNG table to get a particular something one wants. The issue, as I believe Danikat says, is that people tend to think that “phenomenally good luck” is how it should be. This then gets equated with average in their minds when the reality is that average luck blows chunks, particularly with regard to gamble boxes. The purpose of the gamble box in MMO stores is to get people to spend more money (for a given gewgaw) than they would for the item if they could purchase it directly.

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Excelsior.

I always hate gambling because I have a way-too-strong attitude towards fairness and balance, and seeing people doing the same amount of work and yet the outcome is different is something I hate. The one thing I gambled was one week ago, it was my first thing I really wanted:

Mini Rox.

She is a cute cat I could look at that character for minutes straight for some reason and I had to gamble a bunch of chests and got so much crap it’s like those rigged things at the fairground where 999 out of 1,000 are blanks to draw… €10 and burned a few chests and finally got her. Now I have a mini of the cutest Charr ingame™ but later I realized I was paying for a gamble. It was fun until I dropped to a certain amount of boxes left and it sucked so much that I just can not get her. I won’t touch any RNG now for a while.

Also, I never loot corpses of epic monsters because this whole RNG, luck and strive for the best stuff makes me (and obviously others) sick and full of hatred..

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”