why not make both fractals...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

i’m pretty sure most people would rather see abaddon in guild wars 2 than half of the stuff thats going to come out in the next few months…

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

Posted by: Nibi.3572

Nibi.3572

I think you’ll find that that is not the case… as the election did not show that.

edit:

but i agree with the little girl

Attachments:

Posted by: Hicci.8761

Hicci.8761

I think you’ll find that half of the ellens voters didn’t know that the election affected the future fractal. Some may not have even known about other benefits of voting evon.

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

I think you’ll find that that is not the case… as the election did not show that.

you gotta be joking if you think another festival event every month is more meaningful than a fractal about some of the best story elements in the series

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

edit:

but i agree with the little girl

most the people voting for Ellen didn’t care about fractals but voted for lower WP costs or because Ellen is the “good guy” and they didn’t want to vote for a Charr.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: zerorogue.9410

zerorogue.9410

as Anet put it, it would invalidate the entire election. Those who won got their selection over those who lost. Why even do this whole thing if there just going to make both of them?

Also, I’m sure the dungeon development team doesn’t have time to do both maps. I’m ball-parking it since I don’t know how they make maps in Gw2, but it is likely to take about three months to make it.

Posted by: roguenub.1409

roguenub.1409

Well I think the election did show that , since it was 52-48. And alot of people voted just for cheaper waypoint costs. I don’t get why one of the devs said " I feel bitter, I really hoped I could work on the Abbadon fractal," like its completely off the table and theres no hope to see it in the future, why?

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

We, the players, were given a choice. While we were all split pretty evenly, the choice was made to go with one over the other. ANet’s intent is to show the players they can make choices that actually affect the story/world. To go back on this would be to defeat that idea and turn the Players’ Vote into a sham.

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Posted by: Mimir.4690

Mimir.4690

I know quite a few people who voted assuming that we were going to get both fractals at one point, and therefore didn’t take fractals into consideration… Just because Kiel won does mean that her fractal was preferred.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I wanted Gnash to win.

But elections must have consequences.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

Why are so many people making proclamations like:

most the people voting for Ellen didn’t care about fractals but voted for lower WP costs or because Ellen is the “good guy” and they didn’t want to vote for a Charr

Are people really so dense as to think that they are the only ones who research their decisions before making them? Just because someone came to a different decision than you did doesn’t mean that they are ignorant or that their decision making process was shallow.

I could make a sweeping proclamation that Kiel should have won by a much larger margin, and a huge portion of Gnash’s voters just wanted cheaper black lion keys, but that wouldn’t make it true.

I voted for Gnashblade, btw.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

75% of election is accepting that the guy you want will not win. You guys that lost should threaten to move up north to the Shiverpeaks, maybe Arenanet will change their minds.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

I would venture to say that both fractals are probably already made.

They’ll just take the Abaddon fractal, rename the NPCs, write up some new lore and release it in 6 months.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Omega.4950

Omega.4950

most the people voting for Ellen didn’t care about fractals but voted for lower WP costs or because Ellen is the “good guy” and they didn’t want to vote for a Charr

Are people really so dense as to think that they are the only ones who research their decisions before making them? Just because someone came to a different decision than you did doesn’t mean that they are ignorant or that their decision making process was shallow.

I could make a sweeping proclamation that Kiel should have won by a much larger margin, and a huge portion of Gnash’s voters just wanted cheaper black lion keys, but that wouldn’t make it true.

Have you seen the state of the United States Congress? People vote for petty and unscrupulous things all the time. His proclamation isn’t any less valid than yours.

Order Of The Mists [OOM]
http://mists.cadimus.net

Devildoc.6721

I would venture to say that both fractals are probably already made.

They’ll just take the Abaddon fractal, rename the NPCs, write up some new lore and release it in 6 months.

nope, they’re atm drawing board ideas. Anthony Ordon said the losing candidate’s fractal will not be made.

That means we will NEVER see the 5 Gods fighting Abaddon over the Crystal Sea, EVER. The idea is now scrapped, and won’t ever be seen again.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Because adding a guitar and a set of drums for 800gems each is more important

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

you gotta be joking if you think another festival event every month is more meaningful than a fractal about some of the best story elements in the series

There’s story in Fractals?

Posted by: Facepunch.5710

Facepunch.5710

Have you seen the state of the United States Congress? People vote for petty and unscrupulous things all the time. His proclamation isn’t any less valid than yours.

Did you read my post or did you just read the last paragraph? The whole point of making my proclamation was to point out that any one can say anything but none of it is valid without support. Everyone is throwing around statements about who voted for whom and why as if they are fact.

Please take your tinfoil hats off and be reasonable. ~ReginaB
This forum is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. ~DevilLordLaser

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

There can only be one…

Thems the rules…

Deal with it…

Posted by: iCryptik.1496

iCryptik.1496

No, this was the price of the election. Evon lost, no god fractal for you.

Alshazzär
Tarnished Coast [TC]

Posted by: Glovebox.5724

Glovebox.5724

We already know what happened with Abaddon. The reactor is certainly mysterious.

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

I would’ve liked the Abaddon one because they would’ve had to make art assets for it, and I’d imagine that might influence future development rather than potentially rehashing Metrica Province.

Mostly though, I just don’t like Kiel as a character. I think she needs to die. It’s unlikely two council members in the same seat are gonna get assassinated because that’s just boring writing, but one can hope.

Kegmaster

Posted by: Glovebox.5724

Glovebox.5724

While I think the reactor fractal will be more interesting(The Unknown. Not the Pokemon of course, they didn’t cause it… Or did they?!) I do NOT trust Kiel, she seems way too innocent.

Devildoc.6721

We already know what happened with Abaddon. The reactor is certainly mysterious.

It’s not mysterious for anyone who can read between the lines, has done CoE, and does the Thaumanova event chain and talks to the NPC’s there and the surrounding area.

It was an inquest facility where they were researching using dragon energy from captured dragon minions (remember, inquest experimented on Sylvari). They’re doing the same thing at the Infinity Coil reactor. Infinity Coil (CoE) is Thaumanova’s successor, designed to NOT blow up from the experiments they were doing.

If you think Thaumanova is a mystery, you need to actually play the game.

Posted by: Gilburt.9146

Gilburt.9146

Why Anet decided to pick their top 2 fractal concepts and then decided to abandon one of them forever based off the results of a completely unrelated election for candidates that have nothing to do with the fractals is beyond me. Very depressing.

I wish they would just make both fractals, but create the winning one first and make the losing one some time in the future (2014 or 2015). The election could just determine the order of the fractals appearance. Those who voted for the winning candidate would get their fractal way earlier than those who voted for the losing candidate.

I wanted to vote for Kiel instead of Gnashblade (because I dislike Gnashblade’s greed and RNG chests), but still ended up voting for the candidate I favored less because of his fractal (that was seemingly randomly paired with him). The resulting cognitive dissonance effectively destroyed my enthusiasm for the election. The fractals never should have been tied to the candidates. Seeing as many people want each fractal (it was a close election after all), I don’t see why Anet can’t just make both. Why waste a good idea?

Brother Gilburt – Guard / Agent Gilburt – Thief

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

There is no reason both can’t be made.

Storyline-wise, the winning candidate was going to ‘sponser’ or ‘fund research’ into a particular fractal. This fractal would then have it’s release date pushed up.

This does not preclude that research can still be happening on the second fractal. It is just not being sponsored/funded like the first one and thus would take significantly longer to finish.

This fits in with their election story line with the winner getting their fractal a lot sooner. No reason the other can not be made at a later date.

Devildoc.6721

Storyline-wise, the winning candidate was going to ‘sponser’ or ‘fund research’ into a particular fractal. This fractal would then have it’s release date pushed up.

This does not preclude that research can still be happening on the second fractal. It is just not being sponsored/funded like the first one and thus would take significantly longer to finish.

This fits in with their election story line with the winner getting their fractal a lot sooner. No reason the other can not be made at a later date.

Anthony Ordon (a GW2 developer) said they will not make the other fractal. it’s round filed, scrapped, the story of Abaddon’s first fall will remain on a wiki page and that’s it.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I voted for Ellen because we know about Abaddon. We know how and why he fell. We have lore we can reference. We don’t have every nitty gritty detail, but that’s ok.

The reactor on the other hand….. we know practically nothing, and I’d really like to know more beyond ‘well it blew up and it was an inquest experiment.’

In addition, I’m really not sure how they could make the Abaddon fractal and truly do it justice.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Anthony Ordon (a GW2 developer) said they will not make the other fractal. it’s round filed, scrapped, the story of Abaddon’s first fall will remain on a wiki page and that’s it.

I know that the Devs have stated this fractal is now lost. I was just pointing out that story line wise they could have introduced the fractal at a later date and it would have worked. It wouldn’t have lessened their story one bit. The choose to go a different route.

I hate seeing good ideas thrown away needlessly.

Posted by: sbr.8170

sbr.8170

How can you learn anything about lore in a Fractal when you are yelling at the PUG to stop watching the cutscene and running past everything that moves as fast as possible?

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

To make both fractals anyway would minimize the impact of the player driven vote.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I had no idea this election had anything to do with new fractals…and if I did I would have voted for the abbadon content.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

I had no idea this election had anything to do with new fractals…and if I did I would have voted for the abbadon content.

Same with me…but it’s probably because there hasn’t been any of the story that has had me interested enough to follow all of whatever.

Devildoc.6721

I voted for Ellen because we know about Abaddon. We know how and why he fell. We have lore we can reference. We don’t have every nitty gritty detail, but that’s ok.

The reactor on the other hand….. we know practically nothing, and I’d really like to know more beyond ‘well it blew up and it was an inquest experiment.’

In addition, I’m really not sure how they could make the Abaddon fractal and truly do it justice.

We know plenty about the reactor. We know it was an inquest facility, we know it has rooms dedicated to frost (Jormag), Jungle (Mordramoth), Water (Whatever Bubbles’ name is), and Fire (primordus), similar to how CoE’s Infinity Coil reactor has zones for each of the 6 dragons. CoE is literally the successor to Thaumanova, they’re continuing the same research there. If you think Thaumanova is a mystery, you need to investigate the world more and read between the lines, rather than needing someone to hand you all the lore and info on a silver platter.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Because if they did, someone down the line would drag out the quote where they originally said they wouldn’t and call them a liar.

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

There is nothing to stop Anet from creating the ‘losing’ fractal at a later date, neither ethically or logically;

Sure, Ellen won—so we get the reactor fractal now, and Abaddon is not created, now. However, Anet could introduce the Abaddon fractal on a completely different premise (or even a different take on the Abaddon story i.e. non-fractal) at a later date, without trivialising the election.