why so much skill disparity??

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PraetorMortis.8610

PraetorMortis.8610

I don’t understand the design behind the distribution of abilities. Like why do thieves, a hard-hitting melee class, get a passive move speed increase in addition to leaping gap closers, while warriors and guardians (arguably not a hard hitting as thieves) rely on gap closers with longish cooldowns? Why do elementalists have more mobility than rangers? Why is the guardian, a protector, not able to gain invulnerability as long as a warrior designed to aggressively initiate? Why does the mesmer get swiftness, clones, and massive conditions on a more effective level than a necromancer? (lookin at you confusion)

I just don’t get the choices. I also don’t see a whole lot being done to actively tune classes or bring them into balance. Other games (WoW, Rift, even SWTOR), are constantly making fine tuning trials and adjustments to classes to work on balance. As much as I am looking forward to new content, can we get the existing content fixed first?

In B4: L2P, working as intended, game is only 6 months old, maybe you should quit, etc…

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Better yet why does an Engineer…everything?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Cuz Thieves have the absolute lowest HP and Defense in the game and rely on movement. Elementals use magic and magic cheats? Cuz Guardians are still tankier overall and everyone needs somekinda survival skill. Mesmers are actually pretty slow and confusion is pretty much just a Mesmer thing. Necros still rule over conditions despite being a broken class (I still love mine).

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

(edited by Doggie.3184)

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

I don’t understand the design behind the distribution of abilities. Like why do thieves, a hard-hitting melee class, get a passive move speed increase in addition to leaping gap closers, while warriors and guardians (arguably not a hard hitting as thieves) rely on gap closers with longish cooldowns?

Because the Thief is squishier than either. The Thief relies on hitting the enemy hard and fast, and getting out quickly. They rely on avoiding damage, because they can’t tank it.

Why do elementalists have more mobility than rangers?

Same reason. Elementalists are soft and squishy.

Why is the guardian, a protector, not able to gain invulnerability as long as a warrior designed to aggressively initiate?

Because the Guardian has a lot more defensive abilities, a lot more tanking ability, to also have an invulnerability tool.

Why does the mesmer get swiftness, clones, and massive conditions on a more effective level than a necromancer? (lookin at you confusion)

The Mesmer does not have better condition usage than the Necro. Don’t be silly. The mesmer also does NOT have better swiftness options.

Clones are their class mechanic, and they’re significantly less tanky than Necros.

I just don’t get the choices.

Because you don’t understand balance. You’re looking at individual skills instead of classes as a whole.

Posted by: Uncle Salty.6342

Uncle Salty.6342

Better yet why does an Engineer…everything?

so… succinct. You got my vote on this one