will GW1 get any new content?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

Q:

I’m sorry to post this here , but I couldn’t find any official GW1 forum… so I decided to log back into Guild Wars 1 and …well… a lot of memories came up. A lot of good memories…. since I completed everything in normal/hard mode I went to the scrying pool to replay some cinematics and man… I’ve even shred a tear. I loved the relationship between Gwen & Pyre so I rewatched the entire Ebon Vanguard storyline and I’ve even got some cold shivers while watching it. Oh I miss this game so bad… I just had to write this down. I’m not going to compare the two games ( many did it already and I don’t think it’s fair to compare the two games )
Anyway the question is, is it confirmed that GW1 won’t get new updates no matter what? I think it would be much easier to create content for GW1 than for GW2, and I think there would be much interest. For example GW:Beyond in elona is still missing, and if I remember correctly it was confirmed that we will be able to put Keiran in to the Hall of Monuments. Sadly, probably I already know the answer…. I’m just hoping there is something we can do to change the answer to this question.

Posted by: Iretha.7625

Iretha.7625

A:

(edited by Iretha.7625)

Posted by: HuntsForge.3260

HuntsForge.3260

That would be nice, wishful thinking but would be nice.

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

I see… Thank you. It’s still a great game , my friend just said he’s gonna give it a try, I think I will accompany him through the story, (but I’m a little afraid nostalgia will take over me.)
I can only hope they will change their mind about it… anyway I know what I’m gonna wish next time I see a shooting star.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Nope. Elona: Beyond, the ranger rework, smiting prayers rework, and Paragon rework will all go unfulfilled. Which is a shame because we were told GW1 wouldn’t be abandoned, but, here we are.

It’s not abandoned, servers are still up-and-running and basic customer support remains.

I’m not sure what else you’d expect.. it’s an 9yo buy-to-play title with a sequel and no revenue. Can you think of a single other non-subscription game released in 2005 still getting active development?

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Just don’t get your hopes up of it staying for much longer than another couple of years…. when cost runs up to millions in their ledgers, the higher ups will have the last say, not ANET or anyone can do about it.

And remember, this is a business, you use your resources to the things that will bring your profit and not deficit or cost that can be save up to upgrade the things that are bringing you profits instead of stuff that you don’t get revenue from…..

Posted by: Zahld.4956

Zahld.4956

Hey, maybe a small team could be made to continue gw1 development or its continuation. gw1 still has its merits. in gw franchises glory, anythings possible support wise. maybe gw1 can rise from the ashes, be it’s own niche and branch off to a different game outlet. 1 and 2 could possibly co-exist like linux and windows kind of thing.

Posted by: mooty.4560

mooty.4560

I think I speak for many folks when I say that I feel GW1 is a superior all-around game to GW2 and would continue playing it if it wasn’t completely stagnant. It would be nice if this game was open sourced down the road or if someone made a spiritual successor. I would definitely contribute to such a kickstarter project if it mimic’d GW1’s skill/combat system.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

even a “small team” would need a budget of about a million a year.

the small amount of money being generated by the cash shop and whatever trickles down from the publisher is already being used to keep the servers running.. so who/what would be paying for this small team?

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Nope. Elona: Beyond, the ranger rework, smiting prayers rework, and Paragon rework will all go unfulfilled. Which is a shame because we were told GW1 wouldn’t be abandoned, but, here we are.

No.
What they said was that GW1 will not be shut down.
Nothing more, nothing less. And that is exactly what they are doing now.
They put it in automation mode simply so that they could keep it up with as little costs as possible, and thus keeping it up as long as possible.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Zahld.4956

Zahld.4956

funding from a continually developed gw1 cash shop and another expansion would move things along. Gw2 could pay for gw1s continued development. Guild wars 1s continued progress could carry more over to gw2 progress through any sort of cross-game interaction…if gw1 gets upgraded to something like gw2, maybe more players would decide that they would want to play this new expansion and buy gw1 cash shop stuff. Stuff that relates more to gw1s world.

Posted by: milo.6942

milo.6942

funding from a continually developed gw1 cash shop and another expansion would move things along. Gw2 could pay for gw1s continued development. Guild wars 1s continued progress could carry more over to gw2 progress through any sort of cross-game interaction…if gw1 gets upgraded to something like gw2, maybe more players would decide that they would want to play this new expansion and buy gw1 cash shop stuff. Stuff that relates more to gw1s world.

they don’t want anything to do with gw1, as far as they’re concerned it was a bad game since they changed everything in gw2

Posted by: Warcry.1596

Warcry.1596

No Milo, they loved GW1, they changed gameplay to appeal to bigger audiences

“He shall make whole that which was torn asunder.
Restore that which was lost. And all shall be as one.”